85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314519 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #1820 on: January 07, 2014, 08:42:25 AM »
There isn't a PA sticker as far as I know. Dystopia had a secret outro too. This new one is just Russell Allen screwing around. You know what I did? I left it off my phone.

How old are you Mr. Change? You seem very crotchety.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1821 on: January 07, 2014, 09:29:02 AM »
There isn't a PA sticker as far as I know. Dystopia had a secret outro too. This new one is just Russell Allen screwing around.

Oh man, that's him? Geez. He really rubs me the wrong way these days.

I'm not really looking for things to criticize about this album. Honestly, I haven't considered myself an Iced Earth fan for quite some time, and normally I'd be way to wrapped up in other releases to bother with this, but "Plagues of Babylon" has the unique distinction of being one of the very few albums on my radar to be released right now, given how new album releases are pretty sparse in Dec-Jan. I'm surprised that I enjoy it at all, but there are just a number of little things which strike me as odd and take me way out of the element, even once you get past the obvious Barlow imitation vocals.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1822 on: January 07, 2014, 09:41:20 AM »
The biggest gripe for me probably is Stulow McIsingwithfoodinmymouth, but for once in a long time the music is engaging with a drummer who sounds like a drummer and not a robot. If an album doesn't have any "what the fuck is this shit" moments on it, it's a good album. Dystopia has a few of those moments.

I made a playlist mixing the Plagues songs with the other Something Wicked songs to try and fill in the gaps, and make like a metal opera deal. I think I got the time line right, but was missing some songs on my phone. If Barlow's performance on The Clouding wasn't so phoned in, I'd splice in with the original to make a cool duet version.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1823 on: January 07, 2014, 11:31:35 AM »
I agree that Cthulhu is the best song on the album, by the way. But it makes the album worse, because once you listen to it you realize how Iced Earth could sound with Stu singing naturally.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1824 on: January 07, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »
The biggest gripe for me probably is Stulow McIsingwithfoodinmymouth, but for once in a long time the music is engaging with a drummer who sounds like a drummer and not a robot. If an album doesn't have any "what the fuck is this shit" moments on it, it's a good album. Dystopia has a few of those moments.

I made a playlist mixing the Plagues songs with the other Something Wicked songs to try and fill in the gaps, and make like a metal opera deal. I think I got the time line right, but was missing some songs on my phone. If Barlow's performance on The Clouding wasn't so phoned in, I'd splice in with the original to make a cool duet version.

Interesting analogy.

Also, is this new album another continuation of Something Wicked?  Hasn't that been done to death already.  Hell, I don't even have any idea on the storyline.

I agree that Cthulhu is the best song on the album, by the way. But it makes the album worse, because once you listen to it you realize how Iced Earth could sound with Stu singing naturally.

It's the same with Dystopia.  Dystopia wasn't great, but could have been a pretty good album if it wasn't for Stu and his performance.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1825 on: January 07, 2014, 03:40:10 PM »

Interesting analogy.

Also, is this new album another continuation of Something Wicked?  Hasn't that been done to death already.  Hell, I don't even have any idea on the storyline.

Just the first 6 songs. I believe it takes place before The Clouding. And from what I can make out of the lyrics, the songs are back and forth between the humans and the Setians. Also, I looked up what Culling means, and it's to select a large group of something, so I'm assuming that that's before The Domino Decree maybe, when the 10,000 Setians take the roles of worlds leaders. Maybe not.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1826 on: January 07, 2014, 04:29:23 PM »
Man, I gotta try and get into the story a bit, I have no clue what happens over any of it.  :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1827 on: January 07, 2014, 04:41:27 PM »
Story made sense to me when it was just the Something Wicked Trilogy: previous form of life on Earth is threatened by the rise of Man, takes steps to give birth to a leader in the future that will allow them to take over the world.

Then it got into the albums and the Setians became inhabitants of another planet who were invaded by technologically advanced humans and the Setians managed to erase their memory of who they used to be and at that point I really, really lose track of the story. And I am starting to think Schaffer did too.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1828 on: January 07, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »
Here's the cliffnotes:

Framing Amrageddon:
1. Elder gets prophecy of Setian demise by invaders.
2. Humans come to earth and slaughter all by ten thousand Setains
3. 10000 Setians go into hiding
4. The Clouding spell wipes out all of human memory
5. Humans be like "huh?" and go their separate ways
6. Setians infiltrate human life assuming the roles of leaders to sabotage the rest of human existence.
7. Set Abominae is born

The Crucible of Man:
1. Set is born... Still.
2. Set grows up
3. Set learns he's the messiah to the Setians, and the devil to mankind
4. Set isn't sure if he's evil
5. Set is evil
6. Set is still evil
7. Set is alone, and evil
8. Set visits Jesus at the Crucifixion, which is part of the Domino Decree (Jesus was a fabrication by the Setians)
9. Set will destroy mankind because he's evil
10. Set bumps his head and forgets he's evil

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: January 07, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
Haha.

Set bumps his head  :facepalm:  - maybe even he's over it.

I don't always listen to Iced Earth but when I do

it's usually Horror Show.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:53:44 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: January 07, 2014, 04:54:06 PM »
So FA isn't a continuation of the SW trilogy, it's just an expanded version?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1831 on: January 07, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »
Oh, and just a guess on the Plagues of Babylon songs:

1. The Clouding is super effective
2. Setians discuss whether they should release the plagues
3. they release the plagues
4. The Culling I guess only refers to the Babylonian plagues now that I think about it
5. Zombies?
6. Humans start remembering?
7. Set starts remembering?

Yep.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: January 07, 2014, 05:01:29 PM »
Sweet, I'm up to date.  Seems like it could possibly keep going by your Babylon descriptions.

I'm actually quite keen to check this album out now.  I will buy it, so I will wait to listen to it.

Also, we now have pieces of the story told by 3 different singers! lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1833 on: January 07, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »
Also, we now have pieces of the story told by 3 different singers! lol

That's where I got the idea for the rock opera. It's just putting the song in the right spot...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: January 07, 2014, 05:37:54 PM »
Cool shit.

Post the final tracklist once you're done.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1835 on: January 07, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »
Here's the cliffnotes:

Framing Amrageddon:
6. Setians infiltrate human life assuming the roles of leaders to sabotage the rest of human existence.
7. Set Abominae is born

The Crucible of Man:
1. Set is born... Still.
2. Set grows up
5. Set is evil
6. Set is still evil
8. Set visits Jesus at the Crucifixion, which is part of the Domino Decree (Jesus was a fabrication by the Setians)

4. The Culling I guess only refers to the Babylonian plagues now that I think about it
5. Zombies?

Yep.

Dude. this. is. AWESOME.

I never cared  to figure out the story but for the first time in years I actually want to listen to those albums now that I know what they're about.  I mean, I probably won't listen to it but the fact that at this moment I kind of want to is a feat unto itself. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1836 on: January 07, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
Here's the cliffnotes:

Framing Amrageddon:
7. Set Abominae is born

The Crucible of Man:
1. Set is born... Still.
2. Set grows up
5. Set is evil
6. Set is still evil

5. Zombies?

Yep.

Dude. this. is. AWESOME.

I never cared  to figure out the story but for the first time in years I actually want to listen to those albums now that I know what they're about.  I mean, I probably won't listen to it but the fact that at this moment I kind of want to is a feat unto itself.

:lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1837 on: January 07, 2014, 05:45:46 PM »
They aren't that bad. Ripper owns the first album.

Well, he probably doesn't own the first album. I'm sure he got rid of his Iced Earth collection after being fired. :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: January 07, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Schaffer probably charged him for a copy.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1839 on: January 07, 2014, 07:09:09 PM »
:lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: January 07, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »

It wasn't a charge to keep, then :neverusethis:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1841 on: January 08, 2014, 03:23:06 AM »

It wasn't a charge to keep, then :neverusethis:

:hat

Man, this Something Wicked talk and Zook you've actually made me interested in this new album quite a bit.  I want to go back to Crucible too and see if I can find more in it than I have previously.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1842 on: January 08, 2014, 04:17:24 AM »
Crucible's not that bad. It just feels rushed and unfinished. Some songs are kind of boring, but there are some gems in there. The Revealing should have definitely been expanded, cause it's pretty badass, but instead it just plods along with pointless rhythm guitar for 2 minutes at the end.

Also, an update to the Plagues Cliffnotes:

5. Oops we created zombies!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: January 08, 2014, 04:20:03 AM »
You really seem to be enjoying this new album Zook.

I'm actually listening to the two official released tracks again.  Among the Living Dead is still not doing much for me, but I actually didn't mind the title track, it was okay.  I'm actually looking forward to buying this and trying to really get into it.  My local stores aren't releasing it until the 17th though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1844 on: January 08, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
Yeah man, I was disappointed on my first listen. It sounded like a continuation of Dystopia, and while Dystopia wasn't that bad, it still wasn't the greatest. One awful track, three extremely mediocre ones, and subject matter I really didn't care about at all. Plus, The Crucible of Man was a major step down from Framing Armageddon. I feared I really did lose my first favorite Metal band like I lost my first favorite Rock band, The Offspring. They aren't coming back. But I tried, so I gave it a few more spins, and the songs started forming their own identity, and the album as a whole started coming around. Peacemaker is certainly different, and Parasite sounds like a Disturbed song. Highwayman isn't that bad, but that Volbeat guy has a silly voice. It's like Matt Barlow trying to do a James Hetfield impression. Russell Allen sounded great, but also sounded weird, like he recorded his part with crappy equipment or something. The Sons of Liberty song really isn't that bad. I guess if it had to be one of those songs, I'm glad it was this one.

There are no Days of Rage tracks on this album, no plodding endlessly for no reason. Stu still sounds like Barlow, but he's really trying to do his own thing with it I think. Still sounds like he's singing with food in his mouth though. Schaffer sounds really inspired here, and I wish he would just stick to fantasy, cause that's when he shines. Crucible of Man needed the relentless thrashing that the Plague songs have. The album isn't perfect though. Schaffer really needs to come up with new chord progressions for his ballads. Also, I really like that drum beat Raphael keeps doing in a lot of the songs, but it also makes him sound uncreative. I don't know if Jon wrote the drums parts, but considering how natural the drums sound, I'm guessing he let Raph do his own thing. He did say he gave a lot more creative freedom this time around. Troy is Troy. He's a decent guitarist, but still lacks in the solo department. Jon played all the rhythm anyway.

I'm really glad this album didn't suck. I was worried. I guess some albums just take a few listens. I haven't encountered many instant clickers. I don't think Stu is going anywhere so there's still my gripe of him butchering older songs, but I don't see them live very often so as long as Jon can churn out a few more non-disappointments I'll be a happy camper.

I guess this could be my review. I planned something longer, but I really hate essays.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: January 08, 2014, 11:40:55 AM »
Iced Earth has left a bad taste in my mouth a bit since 2007, when Jon threw Ripper to the wolves and fired him via email.  Then I found Crucible underwhelming and didn't think too much of Dystopia.  I'm curious for this release based on Zooks early reviews, but it would have to be a blockbuster and a homerun release for them to turn it around for me.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1846 on: January 08, 2014, 02:02:57 PM »
Writing an album of individual songs based on popular dystopian movies comes of as being very uninspired. I felt this way about Horror Show, despite having a few songs I really like.

I'm no longer a fan of Iced Earth. They should call it quits. John Schaffer needs to take some time off. Maybe a year or two. Or take time off and only start writing music again when he feels really inspired and excited about some new ideas. He needs to think outside of the box he's in musically.

Hey here's an idea i just had: John Schaffer should join Nevermore as Jeff Loomis' replacement. That would definitely be interesting and would for sure result in change's to Nevermore's sound. (I'm just kidding. I don't think that'd be a good idea. It would not work. Plus i have a feeling Loomis will go back at some time in the future, and Nevermore will do another record).

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #1847 on: January 08, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »
After Crucible and Dystopia, I was really wasn't expecting much out of this offering.  It's certainly not IE's greatest effort, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The first listen was quite unremarkable, but it definitely grew on me after a few more spins.  Stu has definitely improved on this album, but there are still a lot of spots where it seemed forced or strained.  I wish Jon would just let Stu be Stu and work with what comes naturally for him.

I agree with the sentiment that Cthulhu is definitely the best song on the album...it was the only one that instantly grabbed me on the first listen.

Overall, really a solid effort...color me surprised after their last two releases.  And I'm glad Jon's showed some life...Iced Earth used to be one of my favorite bands.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1848 on: January 08, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
Oh yeah, I didn't even mention Cthulhu in my mini review. It's my favorite song as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1849 on: January 08, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »
This is exciting I must say.  I also thought the band was done for.  I'm looking forward to this and gonna go in with a real open mind.  I still don't have any real expectations, but that's a good thing.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1850 on: January 08, 2014, 08:14:09 PM »
After Crucible and Dystopia, I was really wasn't expecting much out of this offering.  It's certainly not IE's greatest effort, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The first listen was quite unremarkable, but it definitely grew on me after a few more spins.  Stu has definitely improved on this album, but there are still a lot of spots where it seemed forced or strained.  I wish Jon would just let Stu be Stu and work with what comes naturally for him.

I agree with the sentiment that Cthulhu is definitely the best song on the album...it was the only one that instantly grabbed me on the first listen.

Overall, really a solid effort...color me surprised after their last two releases.  And I'm glad Jon's showed some life...Iced Earth used to be one of my favorite bands.
My thoughts exactly!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1851 on: January 08, 2014, 09:33:30 PM »
They aren't that bad. Ripper owns the first album.

True.  I didn't listen to those at first and think, "Man this is horrible."  I loved Glorious Burden so much that I was psyched for anything that was Iced Earth.  I listened to it several times because it was the new Iced Earth album.  Then he fired Ripper and like others I got a bad taste in my mouth.  But hey, Barlow was back and so I was psyched for the new album.  Then I heard it and realized I don't really care for Iced Earth anymore. Then Barlow left, and it reaffirmed why I didn't like the band.  then he got a new singer and I just didn't care. 

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1852 on: January 08, 2014, 09:44:22 PM »
You left out:  and then Shaffer went all wacky right wing conspiracy lunatic on us claiming banks were taking over the world and wanting to start a political revolution with his "Sons of Liberty" project.... ::)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1853 on: January 09, 2014, 02:36:47 PM »
This is exciting I must say.  I also thought the band was done for.  I'm looking forward to this and gonna go in with a real open mind.  I still don't have any real expectations, but that's a good thing.

Well sorry if I've over hyped it for you, but considering you probably still haven't opened Imaginaerum, I'm sure you wouldn't mind one more CD? :biggrin:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1854 on: January 09, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »
Damn, Jon is getting ambitious:

Only a partial setlist.