85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314349 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #1540 on: April 17, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »
That review is too kind.

It sure is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1541 on: April 17, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
The Crucible of Man Survivor now up.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1542 on: April 18, 2013, 12:56:56 PM »
I checked out some fan-taped videos of "I died for you" on youtube from the same evening they recorded the dvd, and compared it to the released CD-version.
Not allways that noticable, but alot of the vocals are defenitely overdubbed.. Probably some of Troys guitar as well.
Shocker!  :eek :coolio

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1543 on: April 18, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »
Well Stu probably wouldn't have to overdub his vocals if he sang in his own voice.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1544 on: April 20, 2013, 12:44:41 PM »
Been listening to the live-CD on Spotify for a couple of days now.
My thoughts:
- On some songs Stu sounds very good. Danteīs Inferno, Wolf, Ten Thousand Strong and some other songs comes to mind.
The growling on the phrase "Open wide the gates" on Danteīs Inferno was awesome, and so unexpected.
The playing is in general very good, and the mix isnīt bugging me so much after a couple of listens.
- Brent Smedley is a beast. Sure, he plays a bit stiff, like a machine.. especially on the tracks when they use background-tracks (Danteīs Inferno, Burning Times etc..). However, he is tight as hell (and the only person that isnīt obviously overdubbed.. iīll come back to this later).

However, there are a lot of negative things to point out, especially on the DVD.
- I donīt mind a couple of overdubs here and there on a live-album, just to make a finishing touch on the product. However, on this release itīs so obvious there are overdubs all over the place, it isnīt funny!
Example: When Troy is playing rhythm-parts, itīs obvious that they have just deleted Troys parts and doubled Schafferīs guitar tracks. Wolf is a very good example of this. You can clearly see that Troy is just strumming power-chords on some occasions, while you are hearing the chugging rhythm. The stereo-rhythm track is in general so tight it wouldn īt be humanly possible that the audio would be coming from two different guitar-players.
I would guess that 50% (or more) of the vocals are overdubbed as well. On the DVD, you can clearly hear that Stu is phrasing some lines differently than the video shows. This happens a lot. Some of the time, it seems that the audio and video arenīt completely synced, something that probably is because most of the band (except the drums) are overdubbed.
- Someone else pointed out the worst thing about the audio on the DVD and CD: THIS DOESENīT SOUND LIKE A LIVE-RECORDING! The crowd-noises are mostly non-excitant, and the band sounds like theyīre playing in the studio (and they probably are...). Itīs painful to watch Stu engaging the crowd on instrumental-passages. You can see the crowd roaring, fists in the air - in general, the crowd going nuts. BUT YOU CANīT HEAR THEM!! WTF??  :tdwn
- As i stated earlier, Stu sounds OK on a lot of songs. However, he is definitely overdubbed all over the place, and in general he sounds constipated. Really! He sounds like heīs got the largest turd stuck up his colon.. His falsetto, growling and the occasional "normal" mid-range-vocal saves some parts, but in general it sounds like crap..

Yeah, thatīs my reflection after watching the DVD.
Conclusion: The CD has its moments, while the DVD sucks..   :sadpanda:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1545 on: April 21, 2013, 05:09:42 AM »

Example: When Troy is playing rhythm-parts, itīs obvious that they have just deleted Troys parts and doubled Schafferīs guitar tracks. Wolf is a very good example of this. You can clearly see that Troy is just strumming power-chords on some occasions, while you are hearing the chugging rhythm. The stereo-rhythm track is in general so tight it wouldn īt be humanly possible that the audio would be coming from two different guitar-players.

I'm not sure that any lead player that has been in Iced Earth has been able to double Schaffer's ryhthm.  Larry is a prime example on AIA.  Jon's rhythms are very difficult to keep up with.  I'm an okay guitarist, but have trouble with some of the triplet stuff. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1546 on: April 21, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »
So I guess it's safe to assume Alive in Athens got the same treatment. At least that one sounds live and, well, good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: April 21, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
So I guess it's safe to assume Alive in Athens got the same treatment. At least that one sounds live and, well, good.

I always thought so.  Both rhythms channels were way too tight to be two guitarists.  I have always thought it's Jon just tracked the other channel in the studio, or in some cases the rhythms are just split across both.

Plus you can see on Athens that Larry is doing the same thing that aurorablind said Troy was doing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1548 on: April 21, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
I don't know, I never fully watched the AiA DVD because of how shittily put together it was.

As long as it sounds authentic, which it does, I'll just keep pretending it is. Besides, having The Suffering removed from the DVD makes me think it may have been the worst of the overdubs, and those songs are so amazing live, I don't want it to be true, so pretend I must.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1549 on: April 22, 2013, 05:08:30 AM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1550 on: April 22, 2013, 05:10:23 AM »
Quiet you!

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1551 on: April 25, 2013, 02:32:02 AM »
BREAKING NEWS!

From the IE-Facebook page:

Horns Up brothers and sisters!

I just wanted to write to you on behalf of myself, and the band, to say thank you for the amazing growth that has been taking place on the Official Iced Earth Facebook Page. We have reached 300,000 likes in a very short time and there appears to be no end in sight.
Since we have this special occasion, I thought I might share some exclusive news with you guys, right here, straight from the source:

... The new ICED EARTH studio album is expected to have an October 2013 release date. It will be titled “PLAGUES OF BABYLON” and we are very excited about how killer things are sounding this early in the writing/demo process. Below are some of the song titles that will appear on the album.

1.) Plagues of Babylon
2.) Democide
3.) Among The Living Dead
4.) The Resistance
5.) If I Could See You
6.) Peacemaker
7.) Cthulhu
8.) Parasite

I expect this album will be something very special!
Stay tuned to this page for breaking news about ICED EARTH’s mega-packed schedule and coming tour dates. You will hear it here first!

Thanks again for your continued support of the band! We love you guys!

Take care,

Jon Schaffer

:metal

Offline adace

« Reply #1552 on: April 25, 2013, 02:34:02 AM »
 :omg: :metal I really enjoyed Dystopia. Absolutely cannot wait for this.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1553 on: April 25, 2013, 02:38:52 AM »
I wish I could get excited about this. It sounds cool, but Stu Block. And not Stu Block, but Stu Block.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1554 on: April 25, 2013, 04:03:31 AM »
^^^^^^^^ Pretty much.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1555 on: April 25, 2013, 04:49:51 AM »
BREAKING NEWS!

From the IE-Facebook page:

Horns Up brothers and sisters!

I just wanted to write to you on behalf of myself, and the band, to say thank you for the amazing growth that has been taking place on the Official Iced Earth Facebook Page. We have reached 300,000 likes in a very short time and there appears to be no end in sight.
Since we have this special occasion, I thought I might share some exclusive news with you guys, right here, straight from the source:

... The new ICED EARTH studio album is expected to have an October 2013 release date. It will be titled “PLAGUES OF BABYLON” and we are very excited about how killer things are sounding this early in the writing/demo process. Below are some of the song titles that will appear on the album.

1.) Plagues of Babylon
2.) Democide
3.) Among The Living Dead
4.) The Resistance
5.) If I Could See You
6.) Peacemaker
7.) Cthulhu
8.) Parasite

I expect this album will be something very special!
Stay tuned to this page for breaking news about ICED EARTH’s mega-packed schedule and coming tour dates. You will hear it here first!

Thanks again for your continued support of the band! We love you guys!

Take care,

Jon Schaffer

:metal

Hope Stu sings in his more natural range. :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1556 on: April 25, 2013, 05:15:20 AM »
Don't count on it bro.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1557 on: April 25, 2013, 05:44:04 AM »
.t
Don't count on it bro.

I know, but I still wanna hope for the best.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Vajra

« Reply #1558 on: April 25, 2013, 01:32:29 PM »
Plagues of Babylon? Well, I'm pumped. IE is one of my favorite bands, and I absolutely adore Stu's vocals, so I'm a happy camper right now. Bring on October!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1559 on: April 25, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »
The concept sounds really cool. Maybe a concept album or themed album like Horror Show, but it's just Stu Block. He doesn't sound too bad on Dystopia, but his live performances are terrible. Maybe since he's part of the writing process this time around, this album might be more inspired and he might actually use more of his normal voice, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Even though Schaffer loves drastic changes within his band, I doubt Stu would ever drop the Barlow altogether, but one can only hope.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1560 on: April 25, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »
The concept sounds really cool. Maybe a concept album or themed album like Horror Show, but it's just Stu Block. He doesn't sound too bad on Dystopia, but his live performances are terrible. Maybe since he's part of the writing process this time around, this album might be more inspired and he might actually use more of his normal voice, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Even though Schaffer loves drastic changes within his band, I doubt Stu would ever drop the Barlow altogether, but one can only hope.

He actually did a good bit of song-writing on Dystopia too, though it was only lyrics and vocal melodies. However, I do expect his contributions to the process to be larger this time around. He'd stated right when Dystopia came out that he was planning on taking guitar lessons to be able to contribute even more to future efforts.

I'm just hoping he gets to sing more like himself. He does have a natural deeper end to his voice, as demonstrated on "Sandstorm", so I'm hoping that he goes for that instead of sounding like Matt. :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dqhpCsCa00
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1561 on: April 28, 2013, 05:32:24 AM »
Picked up the DVD.  I couldn't get a CD/DVD edition, but I don't care, I'm never going to listen to this anyway, the DVD was enough of my hard earned money spent.

Alright, I've flicked through a few songs and here are my thoughts on some tracks;

Dystopia - Straight up, the opening number from Dystopia leaves me disappointed.  The whole song sounds overdubbed and the lack of crowd noise pisses me off.  Way too polished and clean cut, and Stu sounds weak here IMO.

I Died For You - Stu sounds awful here, the Matt Barlow voice is in full swing. Too slow and Troy of course fucks up the melodies.  Man, this guy sucks.

Invasion/MOM/SM - This is actually not too bad.  It's not Ripper strong, but Stu sounds okay here and the performances are quite enjouyable.  His screams are decent too, this is more like it.

Pure Evil - Again, Stu performs this quite well and the band are strong, things are looking up.

Anthem - Fucking Matt Barlow voice!!!!

Wolf - Oh dear, things went terribly wrong here.  Overdubbed, terrible vocals and Troy I don't think is even playing.

Dracula - Not great, but not too bad.

Ten Thousand Strong - Screams aren't long enough and as bosk said, he goes back to that horrible voice. 

Dante's Inferno - There were actually a couple of lines later on that I liked what Stu did, other than that, it's too slow, Jon changed some of the rhythms too much and by this point, Troy should have his guitar taken off of him, totally riuns the atmosphere in the solo section.

Overall, this isn't as bad as I thought., the FA, and the Stormrider stuff shows a bit of promise of Stu's natural voice.  But really, it just seems he can never find that place where his voice fits in.  He needs to sing everything more like these songs.  He seems scared of the songs and really doubts himself I feel.  Also, Troy really needs to be fired, some songs he makes it through but others are just embarrasing.  Gonna watch more tonight.

Also, the crowd do get heard a bit more throughout the concert on some songs, and some songs do seem more live than others.  Too polished, and really is nothing compared to AIA or Festivals.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1562 on: April 28, 2013, 11:55:07 AM »
I can understand the "sing like Matt" thing on the old stuff, and to some extent to keep a similar vibe on the new stuff- so why not choose a singer who sings like that? Seems odd.
And for a band of the stature of IE to have a guitarist who isn't good enough to play the band's songs is a joke, especially as he's not the guy they "made it" with so it's not like it's a loyalty thing.

Strange decisions.

Still, I don't mind Stu's voice. I've not heard him in his old band and I certainly don't want him to start growling over IE stuff. Not seen the dvd though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1563 on: April 28, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
Maybe Jon feels sorry for Troy or something.

Or maybe Jon knows he's never going to find a capable guitarist that's going to kiss his ass.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1564 on: April 28, 2013, 06:16:27 PM »
I posted this on John Greely's facbook earlier today:

Hey John, thanks for the add. I'm glad I found you on here because I have something very important to ask you. It's crucial. It's been a mystery for over 20 years and I hope to solve it once and for all... But I need your help. I've been a fan of Iced Earth for 9 years and my first exposure to Night of the Stormrider was with Alive in Athens, so when I bought NOTS, it was a little weird hearing someone else tearing it up on vocals, but I wasn't used to line up changes with the music I was listening to at the time, especially vocalists. So as I was listening to the Thrash masterpiece, Angels Holocaust gets more intense, you're ripping the song a new one, and then "SPLATCH an angels holocaust" .... Wait, what? I look in the lyrics book to which it reads "fear the angels holocaust". I play back the song again and hear the same word. What the hell is splatch? I start thinking of possible words that sound similar that mean the same thing as fear, but I was stumped... As was the rest of the fan base. I've asked Matt Barlow, I've tried asking Stu Block, but he never got back to me, and of course Jon Schaffer is technologically illiterate so he doesn't even have a Facebook or other way of contacting him. BUT ALAS! I've found you, the man, John Greely, and if you haven't stop reading this a while ago, I hope you can put an end to the great Iced Earth mystery that is: "splatch". I also discovered yesterday that this wasn't an accident when recording because you say it live too! Help us Obi John KeGreely, you're our only hope. And thank you if you read that wall of bullshit I just typed that could have been cut to two sentences.. \m/ \m/

And his response:

Its splattered so now you know...as will everyone now I guess....hahahaha

The great Iced Earth mystery has been solved! Although I guess it was kind of obvious in a way. If there was a real word that sounded like "splatch", it would be Splattered. It makes you wonder why Jon didn't go into a rage when Greely changed the word.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: April 28, 2013, 10:45:37 PM »
Cool that he got back to you.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1566 on: May 06, 2013, 03:16:37 PM »
Annnnnnnnnnnnd Brent Smedley is out. One of the ninja turtles is taking his place.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: May 06, 2013, 03:17:30 PM »
Annnnnnnnnnnnd Brent Smedley is out. One of the ninja turtles is taking his place.

Maybe MP needs a gig?  :rollin

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1568 on: May 06, 2013, 03:21:53 PM »
Great news. His drumming has been soooo dull lately.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1569 on: May 06, 2013, 03:22:08 PM »
Annnnnnnnnnnnd Brent Smedley is out.

Also, the Sun also rose today.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1570 on: May 06, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »
lol

Anyone know anything about this Raphael guy?

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1571 on: May 06, 2013, 03:28:20 PM »
Well, he definitely knows how to play..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q6J__FC3NU

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1572 on: May 06, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »

What happened this time?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: May 06, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »
Well, he definitely knows how to play..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q6J__FC3NU

Yes, but Stu also knows how to sing, yet that hasn't helped the situation.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1574 on: May 06, 2013, 06:40:11 PM »

What happened this time?

Brent says there's some really big problems happening in his family right now and he felt he couldn't dedicate himself to the schedule Iced Earth was aiming for.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea