85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314444 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #1505 on: April 10, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »
You what this live DVD doesn't sound?

LIVE

Well live shows generally sound like shit when recorded.. so I think it has the potential to sound LIVE.

Have you heard the 2002 Gothenburg radio bootleg?  Minus Schaffer's mic being really low in the mix, it sounds fantastic.

Example.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1506 on: April 10, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »
I'm not touching this DVD with a ten foot pole. It sounds like a studio CD at half volume with no bottom end whatsoever. Unless the mix is an artifact of being put on youtube, this doesn't sound the slightest bit live at all.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1507 on: April 10, 2013, 03:11:46 PM »
I'm actually re-considering buying this.  Depends on the price I guess, if it's overpriced I might even wait until it becomes cheaper, it's sad, I really do not care about this release whatsoever.

Even the Bluray + DVD + CD pack from CMDistro was priced fairly, I thought. $22.

https://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Iced_Earth_-_Live_In_Ancient_Kourion_-ltd._BluRay+DVD+2CD-_-COMING_SOON-/44895

Though there's shipping involved I'm sure.

Yeah that's not bad, but CMDistro kill me with shipping where I am.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1508 on: April 14, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »
Fuck this live album blows. The production is muddied yet polished to the point where it sounds like a studio album, and the songs sound slowed down and just boring. Live Iced Earth songs should NOT sound boring. Also, if you're only going insert the crowd in mellow sections, just keep them out. Fuck this is terrible.

"Fire him, that's all you have to do."

"Fire Stu?"

"He's a risk. And fire Troy as well."

.... WHY ARE YOU SINGING IN YOUR CRAPPY BARLOW VOICE AND YOUR OWN VOICE ON DRACULA?? PICK ONE YOU FOOL!

He's even forcing Barlow on Ten Thousand Strong.... WHY?! WHY?!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1509 on: April 14, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »
Whatever good faith IE built with Dystopia-and fuck knows that wasn't much-has been utterly destroyed by this disaster of a "live" release. That's it, Jon, I'm done. At long last, I don't care if Charlie Brown kicks the fucking football or not. Because he's going to sound like Matt Barlow doing it.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1510 on: April 14, 2013, 08:20:32 PM »
Great rant.  I haven't heard it yet but this is pretty much what I would have thought.

He's even forcing Barlow on Ten Thousand Strong.... WHY?! WHY?!

This is funny, can't wait to hear that, Barlow was fucking terrible on this.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1511 on: April 14, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »
At least Barlow wasn't trying to sound like Ripper. That would have been funny. I just don't understand. Stu could easily sing all Iced Earth's songs in his own voice, and he even does on Ten Thousand Strong, but then he randomly starts doing Tough Barlow within and it just sounds awful. WTF? Same with Dracula. he mixes up the voices in the pre-chorus and is sounds fucking ridiculous. Stu Block is indeed the final nail in the coffin for Iced Earth.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1512 on: April 14, 2013, 08:54:03 PM »
Ouch!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1513 on: April 14, 2013, 09:01:37 PM »
I'm giving this band one last chance with their new album. If Stu still sounds stupid as shit and Jon just writes another Loltopia, then I'm done. I still have the older albums, and I'm still deciding whether I should even keep Loltopia. I think The Crucible of Man is a good album to end their career. Hopefully Ashes of Ares turns out to be good. Freddie is an awesome bassist, and well, Matt Fucking Barlow.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1514 on: April 14, 2013, 09:03:54 PM »
Yeah, we'll see, hopefully Jon will learn sooner or later.  Again, just proves my point that the worst decision Jon ever made was fire Tim.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1515 on: April 14, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
Let's start a couple petitions.

1. Get Tim back in Iced Earth.

2. Fire Troy.

Remember, Jon listens to the people.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1516 on: April 14, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »
I just don't get it. You have an amazing vocalist in Stu Block-I saw Into Eternity open for Nevermore and Opeth and his live cleans were fucking AMAZING-and you force him to sound like this? How delusional has Schaffer gotten? I really wish Stu would leave after saying "you know what, fuck this, this isn't my voice and I'm not interested in sounding like your old singer anymore." But I get the sense that he's HAPPY to be in Iced Earth.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1517 on: April 14, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to know what Stu thinks of his own performances.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1518 on: April 14, 2013, 09:27:50 PM »
"They're the killerest."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: April 14, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
Let's start a couple petitions.

1. Get Tim back in Iced Earth.

2. Fire Troy.

Remember, Jon listens to the people.

Yes, but he didn't ask me.

I'm all for both of these though, Troy is possibly the worst guitarist in the world.  I feel confident in saying I could replace Troy right now without knowing all the songs and still pull off a better performance.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1520 on: April 14, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1521 on: April 15, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »
You how Stu sounds live? Like he's singing with food in his mouth. He's like Scott Stapp all over again.

I'd rather listen to Gene Adam screech for an hour than hear Stu do his Barlow voice.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1522 on: April 15, 2013, 08:50:21 PM »
I'm giving this band one last chance with their new album. If Stu still sounds stupid as shit and Jon just writes another Loltopia, then I'm done. I still have the older albums, and I'm still deciding whether I should even keep Loltopia. I think The Crucible of Man is a good album to end their career. Hopefully Ashes of Ares turns out to be good. Freddie is an awesome bassist, and well, Matt Fucking Barlow.

Speaking of Ashes of Ares, they announced last week that they'd signed onto Nuclear Blast Records and were going to release their debut album late summer/early fall. Jim Morris is producing.

I should also note that Freddie's not only the bassist, he's the guitarist for AoA too. He actually took a lesson or two recently from Ralph Santolla (lol also formerly of Iced Earth) to further improve his skills and bought a seven string guitar. Should be very interesting to see what Freddie whips up musically. He may just be an even better guitarist than he is a bassist. :metal

As far as Stu goes... I completely agree that his Barlow voice doesn't work. However, I actually talked to the guy a number of times on Facebook before Dystopia came out and he was nothing but a total gent to me, and even answered various questions I asked him about the album and just other stuff in general. Then when I saw the band live last year in Raleigh, he recognized me from Facebook when I met the band. So it's weird for me. I think the guy is a total class act, and I know he really loves Iced Earth. I just wish Jon would let him sing the songs in his own natural range. It's especially unnecessary for the Night of the Stormrider material. Those songs would sound KILLER if Stu sang 'em the way he sings Ten Thousand Strong and Independence Day.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1523 on: April 16, 2013, 03:13:07 AM »
I think the guy is a total class act, and I know he really loves Iced Earth. I just wish Jon would let him sing the songs in his own natural range.
Yup.

He's a bit of an airhead too but it's kind of cute I guess.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: April 16, 2013, 04:36:07 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO21sYoST2c

Man, he even sounds shit on his own songs, and fuck how slow is this.  Troy actually played alright here though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1525 on: April 16, 2013, 05:08:38 AM »
https://www.metal-temple.com/site/catalogues/entry/reviews/cd_3/i_2/iced-earth-live-in.htm

While the band was never aiming for long or very technical solos, Troy Seele when he is not following Schaffer in the rhythm madness is doing a terrific job playing the old solos with his own style while respecting the craftsmanship of Shawver and Tarnowsky and delivering his own with great passion

The production of the record is raw, probably being processed as little as possible but it could fit a bit of additional dynamics

The band is doing some minor mistakes but nothing that one would spot on the first listening - except maybe some small troubles in Stu's voice. Keep in mind though that their songs are demanding; not only because of their vocal range but because of continuous parts where the singer doesn't have time to breathe (check "Dracula" which is an extremely demanding song).

Wow, just wow.  Is it just me or did Tim pretty much own Dracula live and sounded amazing through the whole thing?

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1526 on: April 16, 2013, 05:19:23 AM »
I listened to Dracula and it sounded pretty good except for the Barlow-voice thing. My problem isn't that Stu struggles with the songs sometimes, that is a regular thing, and he knows how to get out of it; my problem is just that he doesn't sound like himself most of the time. But yeah I'm essentially just repeating that every time I step into the thread so I'll just shush now and wait for the new Into Eternity album :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: April 16, 2013, 05:28:52 AM »
Just watching a boot now of Dracula from Stu and it sounds pretty horrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZutHeXRqkU

Yet Tim sings it like Tim and it sounds unreal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5siZU4pAPY

Barlow is awesome here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNE5fJ2hPPw

So that review defending Stu on that song doesn't wash with me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1528 on: April 16, 2013, 09:25:14 AM »
There are parts of Stu's vocals that I like.  But he just seems all over the place and inconsistent.  I definitely won't get this live release.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1529 on: April 16, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
I was wondering if anyone here was interested in doing a Top 25 Iced Earth Songs thread? Thoughts?
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1530 on: April 16, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »
There are parts of Stu's vocals that I like.  But he just seems all over the place and inconsistent.  I definitely won't get this live release.

Yeah, exactly, he definitely is just all ovefr the place, good description.

I was wondering if anyone here was interested in doing a Top 25 Iced Earth Songs thread? Thoughts?

Sounds like a hoot.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1531 on: April 16, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
Sounds like a hoot.

Can't tell if sarcasm.

Yeah, I'd be all for it, but I'm doing the survivor right now.

And Stu is a great guy, but he just doesn't work in Iced Earth.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 06:52:09 PM by Zook »

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1532 on: April 16, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »
Can't tell if sarcasm. Yeah, I'd be all for it, but I'm doing the survivor right now.

Eh, I think Stu could work wonderfully in Iced Earth. I remember listening to a lot of Into Eternity songs after he was first announced as the new singer, and I could hear a lot of potential in him. Like I said, he'd kill on the Stormrider material if he just sang it like he sings the Ripper material. I'm guessing Jon developed a mentality that any singer in the band had to sound like Matt after the negative backlash Ripper got from a lot of fans.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1533 on: April 16, 2013, 06:51:22 PM »
Although a great vocalist, Stu lacks the power and ferocity that Ripper and Barlow had.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1534 on: April 16, 2013, 07:25:48 PM »
I could see how that could come across sarcastic but I was serious.  :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1535 on: April 17, 2013, 01:20:53 AM »

I think I did one a while back.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1536 on: April 17, 2013, 03:13:52 AM »
Can't tell if sarcasm. Yeah, I'd be all for it, but I'm doing the survivor right now.

Eh, I think Stu could work wonderfully in Iced Earth. I remember listening to a lot of Into Eternity songs after he was first announced as the new singer, and I could hear a lot of potential in him. Like I said, he'd kill on the Stormrider material if he just sang it like he sings the Ripper material. I'm guessing Jon developed a mentality that any singer in the band had to sound like Matt after the negative backlash Ripper got from a lot of fans.
Yup.

I watched the DVD yesterday at a friend's house and once we skip the whole "Stu sings like Matt" issue, which honestly I've just gotten used to, I find plenty of positives in his performance; I love his falsetto, and his stamina (he was only visibly tired during Anthem and Declaration Day), and when his natural middle range breaks through (like in When The Night Falls, or some parts of Wolf, Damien, Dante and similar), my face goes all ":3" because I just adore his voice in Into Eternity. I also fairly like him as a frontman, he's got the "BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF METAL WE STAND UNITED"-thing nailed down, but also the "this whole imagery is kind of goofy, let's be a little silly, okay"-thing nailed down.

It's just that there is only one Matt Barlow and his name is not Stu Block.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1537 on: April 17, 2013, 03:57:52 AM »
https://www.bravewords.com/hardwares/1002366

Even though mainman/guitarist Jon Schaffer and drummer Brent Smedley are the only returnees, there must have been sort of a déjà vu moment, in recording another live album/DVD in the Aegean region (temperatures in Cyprus topping 100). Listening to the audio portion, on headphones (guitars recorded on separate channels), there are moments where one forgets Matt Barlow is no longer in the band. Singer Stu Block stamps his own brand on the massive length set (24 songs on two CDs, complete with pre-recorded intros), covering all aspects of Schaffer’s vision, and the vocal gymnastics, from bellow to sustained high pitch within seconds, is something of a marvel. In addition to the expected hits (‘Angels Holocaust’, ‘Stormrider’), there’s the long forgotten (especially on these shores) and rarely aired: entirety of ‘Dante’s Inferno’ and the tumultuous half-decade of the Barlow-Owens-Barlow carousel, surrounding the Something Wicked concept albums. Six selections from Dystopia are also included. Even though it’s almost fifteen years since Alive In Athens, about half that content is reprises here and from the five studio albums since, only ‘Declaration Day’ comes off The Glorious Burden, an album still viewed with askance overseas. While a few Barlow classics, either penned during his tenure, or songs identified with him, like ‘Travel In Stygian’, ‘Last December’ and ‘Vengeance Is Mine’ are absent, the show was already 2 ½ hours long and all are available on the earlier live package.

It easy to see/hear why Schaffer picked this locale, apart from the rustic historical setting, the fans go ape from word one, even singing the guitar melodies during instrumental bits. Of course that’s not the only place on the globe where that happens, but the exclusivity virtually guaranteed an over-the-top response. With a trip around the kit, staccato riffs and explosion of pyro, a rousing ‘Dystopia’ opens the chaos. Tolling bells and audience sing-alongs greet ‘Burning Times’, but by the aforementioned ‘Angels’s Holocaust’ the crowd’s unamplified voice rivals the band’s sound level. Block does an admirable job with crowd direction and minimal between song banter. No need to waste long wind-ups on non-native English speaking throng. ‘When The Night Falls’ shows a more emotive side, even morseo than ‘I Died For You’, which follows. Block screams are piercing and powerful, particularly on ‘V’, ‘Dracula’ and ‘Days Of Rage’. The pre-recorded chanting (‘Invasion’) and invading noisescape (‘Motivation Of Man’) that precede ‘Setian Massacre’ on disc, are reprised here, as are the backing tapes in the 18:03 ‘Dante’s Inferno’. With a trio of Dystopia material, ‘Damien’ and the massive ‘Inferno’ amongst the ten proper tunes on the second disc (also the encore introduction and 87 second, acoustic ‘In Sacred Flames’), definitely the weaker sister of the two, but ‘Melancholy’, ‘Watching Over Me’ and the concluding pair are some of the most recognizable ICED EARTH material. Although they typically end with their signature tune, Schaffer reappears afterwards, talks to the crowd (“Two and a half hours isn’t enough for you?”), before offering ‘The Hunter’, as a second (unscripted?) encore. Maybe this one should have been a triple disc too! Now it seems time for a tour with The Dark Saga in its entirety.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1538 on: April 17, 2013, 07:25:42 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen Brave Words, at least on the website, give an album lower than a 6 in a decade.  :lol

Slight exaggeration, but they rarely seem to post negative reviews online.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1539 on: April 17, 2013, 09:39:16 AM »
That review is too kind.