85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314490 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #1400 on: March 15, 2013, 05:56:35 AM »
Meh, I preferred Bone Carver anyway.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1401 on: March 17, 2013, 05:39:08 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=187538

ICED EARTH guitarist/mainman Jon Schaffer — who celebrated his 45th birthday yesterday (Friday, March 15) — has posted the following message on the band's Facebook page:

"Hello friends!

"I want to thank you very much for the happy birthday wishes! Myself and the band are blessed to have fans like you guys.

"As you can see in the photo [below], Stu [Block, ICED EARTH singer] and I are about to chow on a very funny cake that friends and family made for me.

"We are in South America working on the songs for the next ICED EARTH studio album and hanging out with some very dear friends.

"The metal is most certainly flowing! You're going to love this next one!!!

"Best to you all, and thanks again!"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1402 on: March 17, 2013, 08:46:08 AM »
I seem to be in a minority in liking Stu's vocals on Dystopia. I certainly don't get this negativity- I'm unlikely to ever see them live so his live performance doesn't concern me. I certainly don't want those harsh vocals appearing on an Iced Earth album.
The dvd clip is poor though. Watered down and lifeless- awful production. The idea should be to not produce a live album/dvd.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1403 on: March 17, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
I thought the vocals on Dystopia were good too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1404 on: March 17, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »
The vocals on Dystopia aren't awful, but knowing what Stu actually sounds like, it's hard to really appreciate them, especially knowing of Matt Barlow's existence. I do like a few songs on Dystopia, but overall, It's just a really bad, uninspired mess. Jon is capable of so much more. Now that Stu will be a part of the writing process, maybe he'll bring something good to the table. That's if Jon lets anyone else help write the music.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: March 17, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »
Yeah, IMO, Stu does sound okay on the album, but the restrictions Jon put on him with his voice is very annoying compared to all the things he can do.  He is just getting wasted at the moment.  Let's see what the next one brings.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1406 on: March 18, 2013, 05:10:41 AM »
I just listened to the Something Wicked Trilogy with Tim and I could possibly enjoy this more than the original.  Tim just slays on this, and really he was suck a good fit in Iced Earth.  One of those situations where even though the singer is different, it still just works.  I'll say it again, firing Ripper was the worst move Jon has ever made.

I like the darker atmosphere of this and the more evil essence Tim puts in.  Not a huge fan of the extra heavy palm muting, and I miss the intro and outro of The Coming Curse, but that's minor.  Love the stuff they did with Prophecy too.  And how good are these guitar solos, man how good is Tim Mills, by far the best solos ever put down on an IE cd.

Listening to Framing Armaggedon now, and this is slowly becoming my fav IE record, it's perfect.  And Troy's solos are actually quite okay.  I wish Tim played on the cd, but they are okay.  To be honest, I still have to check the songs Matt re-recorded from this album, I don't think I have ever heard them.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1407 on: March 18, 2013, 05:22:02 AM »
The heavy palm muting kills it for me, and Larry's solos were better. I did like the beginning of Prophecy though. As for the re-records with Matt, don't get too excited. Ripper's versions sound way better.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: March 18, 2013, 05:26:22 AM »
Yeah, I don't know, I like Larry a lot and he was an integral part of their sound around that time, but IE never really had a player like Tim, I love his style, I would love to hear more from him. 

Yeah, I might check those Matt versions out after I've finished with FA.  Up to SW Pt 2.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: March 18, 2013, 05:39:23 AM »
Actually I lie, I own the I Walk Among You single, so A Charge to Keep would be the only one I haven't heard since it was itunes only.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1410 on: March 18, 2013, 05:54:05 AM »
Wow, Matt's version of A Charge to Keep really sucks ass.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1411 on: March 18, 2013, 06:09:25 AM »
Yeah, IMO, Stu does sound okay on the album, but the restrictions Jon put on him with his voice is very annoying compared to all the things he can do.
Yeah, it's just pretty hard to get excited over vocs on Anguish Of Youth or End Of Innocence when you listen to Nothing, Out, Surrounded By Night, The Incurable Tragedy II, or Time Immemorial, to name a few.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1412 on: March 18, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »
"Ok Stucifer, for this song, I want you to really bring out the emotion"

"Alright, not a problem"

"I mean like really bring it out.... like Matt did in Ghost of Freedom"

"...ooook, that's easy enou-"

"Like, sound just like Matt did in that song"

"Well that's not really in my rang-"

"Strain your voice to ridiculously goofy levels, I don't care, just SOUND LIKE MATT"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1413 on: March 18, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »
I was watching the Wacken show with Tim last night from the Festivals DVD, amazing stuff.  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1414 on: March 19, 2013, 11:07:03 AM »
Here's Damien from the new live album:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=187650

Just scroll down. It's embedded with soundcloud.

Whoever mixed this (one of the Morris' obviously) was asleep that day. The song sounds slower, and Stu sounds like a drunken karaoke singer.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1415 on: March 19, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »
Holy crap.....Damien is....

Well.....

I guess I'm not missing out on too much here.

I didn't even bother with Dystopia because of the ridiculous lineup changes.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those purists that say, "This band only has 1 original member so it's crap!"  But after the whole, "Tim is who I always wanted!!!" followed by "Tim wasn't into it so we got Matt back" followed by "Matt didn't want to do this full time even though that wasn't our agreement when he came back but why be consistent with my thoughts now?"

I will probably get Dystopia at some point because I have all of the other releases but this lineup isn't sitting right with me.  I also think it's funny that Stu has a bunch of writing credits which was a huge beef with other vocalists and Jon would always say its because the other people weren't writers when I think its obvious he just wanted total control.  Now, with knowledge of all the criticism and presumably fan base he wanted to make sure Stu seemed like a full fledged member/writer. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1416 on: March 19, 2013, 11:52:14 AM »
Well it is Jon Schaffer.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: March 19, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
Here's Damien from the new live album:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=187650

Just scroll down. It's embedded with soundcloud.

Whoever mixed this (one of the Morris' obviously) was asleep that day. The song sounds slower, and Stu sounds like a drunken karaoke singer.

The more I hear Stu on these songs, the more I dislike him in Iced Earth.  He's trying too hard to sound like Mat on the chorus (yes, what a surprise) and the highs are just weak and thin, I don't understand why he sounds like this, he's such a powerful vocalist.

And the mix is weak and lacks balls of any kind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1418 on: March 19, 2013, 05:22:49 PM »
He sounds absolutely fine to me. I really don't get the hate at all. There is nothing wrong with this vocal performance.

Just sayin'.

And there's some crowd noise in ther... Schaffer must have been asleep at that point.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1419 on: March 19, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »
He sounds absolutely fine to me. I really don't get the hate at all. There is nothing wrong with this vocal performance.

Just sayin'.

And there's some crowd noise in ther... Schaffer must have been asleep at that point.
I agree there's nothing majorly wrong but that's just not how he normally sounds at all.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1420 on: March 19, 2013, 06:03:43 PM »
Technically the vocal performance is fine.  But for me, it just lacks balls and it's just not Stu at all.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1421 on: March 19, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
That's exactly the problem. He sounds so bad to some of us because it's not his natural voice, and it just makes him sound goofy. I can't imagine Ripper doing a Barlow impression. Maybe Jon tried for it but it was even worse :lol

EDIT:
But for me, it just lacks balls

This too.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 06:13:18 PM by Zook »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: March 19, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »
Exactly, he sounds goofy, and really sounds like a try hard.  Watching more of the Wacken performance last night, I'm still amazed at how good Ripper fitted with the bands sound, and especially on the old material, he just made it work really well.  Him trying to sound like Barlow would have been a train wreck, and I don't understand why Ripper was Ripper but Stu has to be like Barlow.

I just laugh back at the whole Ripper era.  Jon was all like "Ripper is the voice I've been hearing all along with Iced Earth music."  "Holy fuck." I thought.  Then they released the Reckoning, and it was like "Shit, this isn't Barlow but it pretty fucking good."  The two album Ripper did were really good and for the band to come back after losing Barlow like that was incredible and props to Tim. 

Then Jon comes out with "I've spoken to the fans and they all want Barlow back."  Really Jon, I never recieved your phone call.  I would have gladly told you otherwise. Since that point Iced Earth has become redundant IMO, and that move has blown up in Jon's face, and Stu isn't putting this band back at where they were in 2004/2005.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1423 on: March 19, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »
He said that? I thought the whole thing was that Ripper wasn't fully committed or whatever. Ripper's mind was on his solo projects and not fully with Iced Earth and his stage presence screamed that so it was time for him to go anyway. Jon would do something stupid like read a few comments on the interwebs and base his decision on that.

I missed Barlow too, but after Framing Armageddon, I didn't care if he came back anymore.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: March 19, 2013, 06:31:58 PM »
Here's a statement from Jon;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=86574

Hello, dear friends!

"Once again the winds of change are upon us, and this time I can say that I am very happy about the result.

"While out on the European tour I had several in-depth discussions with many loyal ICED EARTH fans. A common theme of these discussions was how much Matt is missed. I agreed with the fans that things were not the same and that it was a very special period in ICED EARTH's history.

"When I heard several months ago that Matt [Barlow] was going to be doing a project in music again, I was thinking about contacting him and seeing what his intentions were. I didn't act on this because I was so focused on the writing of the new epic, and frankly, it just didn't seem realistic.

"Well, after getting out on the road and speaking with many of you directly, I decided to call Matt and see how he was doing and if he was interested in working together again. I am proud to say that he is coming back to ICED EARTH and we will be getting back to work in the studio very soon.

"Matt will be singing on Part 2 of the 'Something Wicked' concept CD and we will be looking forward to getting out on tour and delivering a series of ICED EARTH shows that will rival any in the history of the band. And there will be a proper DVD filmed from this period, something we’ve all been waiting for.

"I want you all to know that it was you who made this a reality. I have missed Matt's presence onstage and in my personal life in a big way over the past few years, so I appreciate your honesty in our discussions. It did help me realize the decision to move forward with pursuing this. The fans have spoken and we have delivered!

"You true fans know that I'm a straight shooter, I say what I mean and mean what I say. And though I value your opinions greatly, you must believe that this is a decision that comes completely from the heart and is not motivated by anything other than what feels the best for ICED EARTH. This is the way that things have always been dealt with, for better or for worse, but always honestly and from the heart.

"Tim Owens is a great and talented singer and I wish the best for him and his future on a personal and professional level.

"There will be more news soon as to further developments and plans. This will push back the release of Part 2 a bit. Not because we couldn't be ready to record in time, but because of a new addition to Matt's family in early 2008!

"I am very happy to announce that ICED EARTH is truly BACK!"

Iced Earth died a little for me the day this statement come up.  Ripper got fucked over big time, and as I said, you didn't speak to me Jon???

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1425 on: March 19, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »
...... That DVD is awesome though. :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1426 on: March 19, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »
Tim's response;

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=87052

First off I would like to wish Jon Schaffer and the guys in ICED EARTH much success.

"Yes, this [Owens' dismissal from ICED EARTH] all was just horrible timing, and I don't think it was handled in the best way, coming two weeks before Christmas! But it is the best for me and ICED EARTH.

"I really need to move on and do other things. I really want to get BEYOND FEAR out there and I'm working on some other projects as well.

"Things happen for a reason, and yes, the winds of change are upon us and that is what I needed!

"The one thing I ask is to just leave it all alone.

"I would like from this moment on to leave ICED EARTH in the past and move forward, so I will no longer discuss IE!

"Like I said, I wish Jon and his family and the guys in IE the best of luck and a merry Christmas... Now let's move on and talk about the future!

"Thank you and keep it heavy."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: March 19, 2013, 06:37:39 PM »
...... That DVD is awesome though. :neverusethis:

Yes, and much better than the shit they are about to release.

Hopefully Jon calls me regarding Stu and I can tell him Ripper is missed.  ;D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1428 on: March 19, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »
I was joking since the DVD he promised wasn't really what Festivals was. He said proper filmed DVD, and these were just a few shows with the same set list filmed for TV.

I guess four years is long enough to not discuss Iced Earth since he's going to be performing a 2 hour set with IE material in it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: March 19, 2013, 06:49:05 PM »
I was joking

I don't care.  It still will be better than this new pile of shit.  :facepalm:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1430 on: March 19, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
I can't argue that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: March 19, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
I can't argue that.

No you can't.  I'm sure Jon will though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1432 on: March 19, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »
"This is the most killerest best sounding live record we've ever done. "Stu has more energy than anyone ever had ever. He is the bestest killerest wickest thing to ever happen to Iced Earth."

1 year later

"The winds of change are upon us yet again"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: March 19, 2013, 07:14:14 PM »
 :lol

Really, that's so scary because that could actually be a real possibility of happening.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1434 on: March 19, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
Best jon pic ever.