85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310662 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:38:16 PM »
 :chillIt's time for The Official Jon Schaffer Band Thread. Here we can discuss how much of an egotistical douche Schaffer is..... Just Kidding. Discuss all things Iced Earth and post whatever news you find about the band, but please, keep the Ripper Vs. Barlow debate to a minimum. They both released amazing work with Iced Earth, and I for one find it difficult sometimes to choose a favorite.... So I made a poll :neverusethis:

Gettysburg is Schaffer's greatest accomplishment.

Here's a funny sound byte from Schaffer I spliced together: https://www.mediafire.com/?lcwgetfxm4t

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 04:54:04 PM by Zook »

Offline GuineaPig

Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »
Are you on the Brazil under Ice forums?? Because I got that same clip from there!

P.S. It works amazingly as an intro to Behold the Wicked Child.

P.P.S.  Barlow, but both are in my top 5 singers  ;D
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:33:41 PM »
Yeah, I frequent that forum, although, lately it's been very slow (and probably will be for awhile as Schaffer is taking a long break). I tried that as an intro and it does work pretty well lol. I think I'm going to include the sample in our next KrotchRaut song.

Ripper and Barlow are always switching spots on my list, but Right now it's:
1. Russell Allen
2. Ripper Owens
3. Matt Barlow
4. James LaBrie
5. Sharon Den Adel

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »
barlow ftw
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 12:20:08 PM »
I like Ripper better, and my favorite album by them is Framing Armageddon. I find myself listening to Horror Show, Something Wicked, and The Crucible of Man a lot as of late.

The Glorious Burden is good, but nothing spectacular.

So I usually just go by the music and not the singer. Both are good, I just like Ripper more.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »
Here's my favorite albums in order:

1. Night Of The Stormrider
2. Burnt Offerings
3. Something Wicked This Way Comes
4. Framing Armageddon
5. Horrow Show
6. The Glorious Burden
7. The Dark Saga
8. Iced Earth
9. The Crucible of Man

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 06:57:52 PM »
barlow

i still listen to storm rider but that guy doesnt matter cause hes a nazi and i hate all racism

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
barlow

i still listen to storm rider but that guy doesnt matter cause hes a nazi and i hate all racism
You obviously hate grammar too.

Ripper Owens for me.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
There is a difference between subjective and objective.

Ripper is a better singer = subjective.

Barlow is a better singer = objective.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »
I had to go with Barlow. His voice is just so much more manly and metal compared to ripper.

Not to mention, Barlow's performance during Alive in Athens is probably one of the most epic of all metal concert performances ever. And I mean EVAR!

Also
barlow

I'm going to ask you nicely, please stop posting until you get a sense of how to use grammar and what racism means. Nazis aren't an equivalent to racism. Goddamn, how old are you anyways?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 07:40:57 PM »
It sucks that Greely's a nazi, but he left an awesome mark in Iced Earth history.

SPLATCH an Angels Holocaust!

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 07:53:52 PM »
i like barlow the best

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 09:45:11 PM »
Barlow is THE ONLY singer for Iced Earth.  I love em all, and The Glorious Burden is probably my second-favorite IE disc, but nobody competes with Matt when it comes to being Iced Earth's singer.

Can't wait for the new live DVD, with European festival sets featuring shows with Ripper and Matt.  That's going to slay!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 05:10:07 AM »
A new DVD? Wow, I hadn't heard that. I'd be interested in that for sure. Like Grap said, Barlow IS Iced earth.

However, Gettysburgh 1863, is a Top 10 all time song for me. Absolutely brilliant!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 06:38:38 AM »
Oh Hey, an OFFICIAL ICED EARTH THREAD.

Yeah I can't wait for the DVD, and it's nice that Schaffer included footage from when Ripper was still in the band.

I'd have to say Barlow is my favorite singer with Iced Earth, but songs such as Gettysburg, and pretty much all of Framing Armageddon are pretty much unmatched. Before the Something Wicked Box Set was called off, I was kind of scared to hear Barlow sing The Domino Decree. lol

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 07:30:29 AM »
I almost wish I'd voted for Greely now or cant decide.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 07:32:08 AM »
I almost wish I'd voted for Greely now or cant decide.

...Why?

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 07:32:20 AM »
barlow

Why is he a Nazi?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 07:55:53 AM »
barlow

Why is he a Nazi?

He was a full blown racist. Jon talked about it in an old interview which I'm not sure anyone can locate now. Jon said he even took Greely to Auschwitz to get him to change his mind and Greely just took the whole thing as a joke.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 07:58:54 AM »
barlow

Why is he a Nazi?

Originally Posted by spawn (Ultimate Metal Forums)
Greely was a full blown racist and Jon would dissolve the band before ever bringing him back.

Exactly. I found an old interview with jon on a unnoficial website but can't remember where. He explained that. He even brought him at auschwitz (spelling?) during the world tour to try to make him realize how much racist is shit and he just made some very disturbing comments. Jon kicked him a few days later.

Night Of The Sotrmrider is still my favorite Iced Earth Album though.

DAMMIT PERPETUAL CHANGE!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 08:08:35 AM »
hehe

sc00ped

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 12:40:37 PM »
I'd be interested in seeing that interview. Anyway, I liked Greely's voice and his falsetto.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 02:36:14 PM »
Former vocalist, John Greely, was ejected from the band after making anti Semite comments while on tour with Blind Guardian in Europe. Jon Schaffer took John Greely to a former concentration camp in hopes of trying to change Greely's attitude. While they were there, John Greely made anti Semite comments towards a Jewish man who was praying. Greely also expected that since he was the front man of a band that he should be getting more money. When his wishes were not met, he tried to steal money from the band and was immediately kicked out as a result.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 02:37:52 PM »
LOL DAMMIT NICK GREELY, YOU TURD!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »
Greely was kicked out of the band after allegedly stealing money from other band members and making anti-semitic comments on the European tour with Blind Guardian while in Germany. Vocalist Matt Barlow joined the band (after a three-year band hiatus following Night of the Stormrider) in 1995 for Burnt Offerings.

And, for good measure:

John (Greely): Anti-Semitic comments, that I stole money…it's a joke. I paid money into that band in the form of dues for like two years, like a hundred-twenty bucks, hundred-thirty bucks a month or whatever, towards the band. And from Dave Abel, you'd find out what I'm telling is true too. He just made that sh*t up.

Greely completely dodges the anti-Semitic thing, and when asked about stealing money he just says that he "paid dues." Sounds to me like the anti-Semitic thing is probable, and he thought he could just take it upon himself to "take his dues back" after he got kicked out.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 02:46:53 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
So Greely denies it PERSONALLY but because somebody has ALLEGEDLY said he made some unspecified comments and the generic to cover all sins "stole money" we must think the worst about him and he suddenly becomes a "full blown racist". Summary justice and execution there perhaps?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 03:51:47 PM »
My Iced Earth Top 10:

Gettysburgh 1863
A Question Of Heaven
Dante's Inferno
The Prophecy
Travel In Stygian
Dracula
Pure Evil
The Coming Curse
Path I Choose
Stornrider
Reaping Stone
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »
Dante's Inferno
Travel in Stygian
When the Night Falls (1997 version)
A Question of Heaven
Burnt Offerings
Dracula
Ten Thousand Strong
Pure Evil
Ten Thousand Strong
The Coming Curse

Hmm, that was a lot harder than I expected.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »
So Greely denies it PERSONALLY but because somebody has ALLEGEDLY said he made some unspecified comments and the generic to cover all sins "stole money" we must think the worst about him and he suddenly becomes a "full blown racist". Summary justice and execution there perhaps?

Well, shit, I showed both and links sides. Am I allowed to come to my own conclusions, or what?

If you read it, he doesn't comment specifically on the anti-Semitic part. His denial of the money-stealing is also rather equivocal. On top of that is common sense- why would Jon make any of that up?  Jon is generally honest and to-the-point. He's had no problem dismissing Barlow and Ripper Owens without making up extravagant lies about them. Also, making up lies about another person and printing them is libel. I don't like Jon anymore than the next guy, and I think he runs Iced Earth in a very self-centered and narrow fashion, but I doubt he ever took tyrannic rule over the band to that level.

The fact is, Andy, that you are a complete n00b to the world of Iced Earth and this info about Greely is nothing new. It's something that all the die-hard Iced Earth fans know and have generally accepted.  If you'd like to investigate further and maybe even pull up this Schafer interview which everyone seems to know about, feel free to. Make sure to post what you find.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
Yea, I've known about greely being racist for a long time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 07:06:59 PM »
Great band. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but this one is really special. I love The Dark Saga; especially Question of Heaven, it's a masterpiece.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »
Im aganist racism but I still like Stromrider and in all the Iced Earth albums I've heard I have only had a problem with two songs and that is dark saga and I died for you. Here is my album ranking.

Burnt offerings
Horror Show
Night of the Stormrider
Framing Armageddon: Something Wicked Part 1
The Crucible of Man: Something Wicked Part 2
Something Wicked This Way Comes
 The Glorious Burden
The Dark Saga
Iced Earth

I havent heard Iced Earth yet and I think they might be making a box set with rerecording of the Ripper albums with Barlow.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 07:40:34 PM »
If you haven't heard the first album, be prepared for some atrocious vocals. Don't let that scare you away though 'cause the music is still awesome. I've actually learned to tolerate Gene Adam.

As for the box set, currently it's been called off due to the record label's bankruptcy.

Offline Wrath42147

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »
I think its hard to find but I think they released recordings of the glorious burden with Barlow on vocals.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2009, 07:47:04 PM »
Jon would never release such material. The only person that might still have that material is Ripper, since he would have to listen to the songs to learn them. Even then, it's highly doubtful and more than likely just a rumor.