85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314506 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #1190 on: July 28, 2012, 04:43:36 PM »
Totally agree about Stu's voice, and it's a damn shame cause he is an INCREDIBLE singer. It's pretty obvious that Jon knew he could dictate everything to Stu who would just do as he's told. I was super excited when Stu joined Iced Earth cause I love his work in Into Eternity......don't really dig their music, but his voice is amazing in it. But when I heard Dantes Inferno and then Dystopia I was sad that they showed NO creativity with him at all, even though his highs are authentic still and incredible.

I really respected that Ripper just sang like himself and didn't let Jon change that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1191 on: July 28, 2012, 06:57:34 PM »
My brother and I were just talking about this. Totally agree. Iced Earth's first official DVD is going to be so disappointing.

Online Adami

« Reply #1192 on: July 28, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »
My brother and I were just talking about this. Totally agree. Iced Earth's first official DVD is going to be so disappointing.

You mean their 2nd official DVD? Their first wasn't terrible, Rippers show had a ton more energy and life than Barlow's 2 performances.

Still no clue why they released 3 shows with nearly identical setlists.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1193 on: July 28, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »

You mean their 2nd official DVD? Their first wasn't terrible, Rippers show had a ton more energy and life than Barlow's 2 performances.

Still no clue why they released 3 shows with nearly identical setlists.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one somehow. I just saw it the other day too. I guess that shows how much I care about it. The 3 almost identical setlists are pure bullshit. Lol Jon Schaffer.

Online Adami

« Reply #1194 on: July 28, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
The three nearly identical setlists are bad, but the completely lifeless sterile performances are even worse.

Rippers show seemed to have some energy, but both of Barlow's shows looked like a bunch of guys going through the motions because they hated being there. I can just imagine everyone's thoughts as follows

Barlow - Oh god I can't to quit again soon, I can't stand this
Bassist - Oh god I hope Jon doesn't fire me
Jon - Totally gonna fire that bassist
Guitarist - For some reason Jon will never fire me, so I don't have to care....F this performance.
Drummer - SYNCOPATION YAY!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1195 on: July 28, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
:lol Well the bassist (Freddie) left on his own accord so that's not quite the same. Troy has gotten A LOT better since Stu came aboard. Smedley at least plays the old songs how they should be played.

It'll be quite hilarious if Barlow's new project is better than Iced Earth's newest output, just as Pyramaze's Immortal was miles better than The Crucible Of Man.

Online Adami

« Reply #1196 on: July 28, 2012, 08:25:14 PM »
Smedley at least plays the old songs how they should be played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_gw1OkNzvU

uh huh
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1197 on: July 28, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
Smedley at least plays the old songs how they should be played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_gw1OkNzvU

uh huh

To be fair, it was re-recorded that way as well.

Online Adami

« Reply #1198 on: July 28, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
What's is he played so much better on Alive in Athens. He was great on that CD.

But I obviously blame Jon for Brent making his feet into a 3rd guitar player.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1199 on: July 28, 2012, 08:32:57 PM »
What's is he played so much better on Alive in Athens. He was great on that CD.

But I obviously blame Jon for Brent making his feet into a 3rd guitar player.

That's because Jon hadn't discovered Brent's machine gun feet yet. And yeah, some songs he did play a tad differently on AiA (Pure Evil) but it sounded good and fit the song. If they started playing Pure Evil with machine gun feet, I'd be very upset.

Online Adami

« Reply #1200 on: July 28, 2012, 08:38:07 PM »
I mean I have to give Brent credit, doing what he does is actually rather difficult it seems, but it sounds terrible when it's 24/7.

I think Jon has actually become a WAY less mature song writer as of recent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1201 on: July 28, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
I think it's just a case of him completely running out of ideas. Just compare Night Of The Stormrider to Dystopia. It's like a completely different band.

Well actually it kind of is, but you know what I mean.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1202 on: August 13, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
Interesting interview with Randy Shawver:

Jim Maiden from Rock Overdose had the chance to speak with the legendary ex-guitar player and composer of Iced Earth,Randall Shawver and discuss many important things about the past,the present and the future of this great musician and of Iced Earth too.

Such an honor Mr.Randy . . .

Rock Overdose.gr:Hello from Greece Randy and welcome to Rock Overdose! I'm Jim and i am delighted to be able to have this interview with you.
How are you Randy and what are you dealing with,that period of time?

Randy Shawver:Hi Jim. I am also happy to speak with you.I am doing well.I worked for Microsoft and Dell, and am now working at gfi software as a security analyst.

Rock Overdose.gr: How is Randy's life after his reign in Iced Earth?What a fan of you have to know about your hobbies and interests?

Randy Shawver:I always play guitar as a hobby.I like to go to the beach ,swimming ,sailing, etc.I played with a vocalist named Tank after leaving Iced Earth in a band called Yuhrott.You can download the songs here:https://archive.org/details/iuma-yuhrott
After Yuhrott I realized I needed a break from music to get neck surgery.This was completed in 2003.This is when I started computer security work and have been doing it ever since.I really have no desire to play music professionally at the moment.

Rock Overdose.gr: Randy,let's go back to the past.You were part of Iced Earth since their beginning with Enter The Realm demo.
Can you please give us some information about the vibe in the band and your emotions back when you started?

Randy Shawver: The vibe in the beginning was great.We hung out a lot and partied, wrote music , and rehearsed.I considered myself a band member at the time.Me and Jon wrote about 35 songs, then decided to break up the songs into about 15 of the best songs we could compose.5 of these were on the demo.Some of the others made it onto the first record.

Rock Overdose.gr: Then we have the legendary first album in 1991,the first European tour with Blind Guardian and after a short period of time you released Night Of The Stormrider in 1992.Can you recall some things from this era that you would like to share with us?
Did you had set any target as a band and what was the chemistry in the band back in these days?

Randy Shawver: The chemistry was good but there was never a feeling that anybody was of permanent value to the band.Thus began the open door policy and members changing on every record.There was never a band feeling like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest members would have shared.

Rock Overdose.gr: What was the feedback of these albums and how much the first two albums helped the band to reach further audiences,specially with the replacement of Gene Adam with John Greely?Could you also compare these two albums?

Randy Shawver: The first record was fun to make and I really like the musicianship on that record.The production was horrible since we had a small budget.NOTS was better in that the music was complex like the first record but had a better production.We had a great time touring with Blind Guardian after those two records.

Rock Overdose.gr: Three years after Night Of The Stormrider,Iced Earth came back with the bands most atmospheric,darkest and according to many fans their best album!This was Burnt Offerings and for one more time we have changes in the drums and vocals with Rodney Beasley and Matthew Barlow replacing their former mates.
Would you like Randy,to describe the vibe in the band these days,the difficulties that Iced Earth had to overcome and in which way the new members helped the band?

Randy Shawver: New members had become expected by this record as nobody except Jon was making any real money.We were angry at waiting three years for Century Media to renegotiate our contract and it came out in the music. I know Jon hates this record but I think it is the most intense , emotionally charged record Iced Earth has ever released.You can feel the anger and rage on this record.

Rock Overdose.gr: In 1996,one year after the Burnt Offerings album,the band came back immediately with The Dark Saga album which was the band's official breakthrough,the album that reached it's name to the edge of the world! Unfortunately,this was your last album with Iced Earth.
Could you please Randy share with the fans your recalls/memories from these days?

Randy Shawver:I realized when we did this record that I was finished with Iced Earth. The music took a far too simplistic approach which is not good when you are trying to contribute songwriting.My style has always been darker and more technical than what this album offered.The band went from guitar oriented music to Vocal oriented music. And I hated the ballads.

Rock Overdose.gr: During the Dark Saga tour you visited Greece for the first time,do you remeber anything from these shows in Thessaloniki and Athens?What was your experience during your time in Greece?

Randy Shawver: I love Greece.We had a blast there going to the parthenon and other places. After the last show I stayed behind with the fans and we drank Ouzo outside.The band sent someone back to find me though later.

Rock Overdose.gr: Randy you know that i have great respect for you and i don't wat to make you feel uncomfortable,so i will also take-No-as an answer for the next question.Could you say just a few words about the reason that you didn't carried on with Iced Earth?Did you ever thought in the past,the future of this band without yourself until the Dark Saga album?

Randy Shawver: I did not lose my passion for music as Jon has stated in interviews. I lost my passion for working just as hard as anyone else in the band and recieving less recognition and money for my efforts.I could likely say the same for Matt.You get tired of working for next to nothing after so many years and need to find something that will pay off after putting in years of hard work and dedication.I actually thought about leaving before Burnt Offerings but I was still under contract to Century Media. I would have rather made three records in that three year period instead of waiting to renegotiate our contract.But Jon wasnt making much money at the time so he wanted to hold out. It would be funny to see his bandmates hold out on tour for more money now.It sucks when the shoe is on the other foot.

Rock Overdose.gr: Some people are confused with the line-up that the Dark Saga album was recorded.In the back cover of the album we see a picture with you,Jon,Matthew,Keith Menser as a bass player and no drummer at all but actually...it was little different.Can you explain the situation?Which was the real line up that recorded this masterpiece and where is the photoshooting place that we see in the back cover?

Randy Shawver: We shot the photos at a phosphate mine where my father once worked.Keith did not play on the record but was hired for the tour.He did not have much time to prepare. So when we realized he was not ready we hired James as he already knew the material. I believe Mark Prater played drums.I do not remember who played bass.

Rock Overdose.gr: Randy i listen to Iced Earth since 1994 and i consider you an integral part of the legend of this band.I recognize you as a great composer too.

Randy Shawver: Thank you. I appreciate that.Although Jon would state that he played everything but leads on the records , he actually played the rythym guitars and a few simple leads. I played the acoustic parts that I wrote that he could not learn, along with all the leads, and the guitar harmonies as Jon could not play harmonies.He also had a hard time learning some of my riffs.It is better for one guitarist to play the heavy rythyms ,especially when stacking tracks but he likes to underestimate the contributions of others.You can hear the difference between new and old Iced Earth.Whats missing is my contributions.

Rock Overdose.gr:Except from Jon,you were the most active member of the band and you wrote with him only great music and many of the bands best and timeless songs!You were like the right hand of Jon and no other guitar player that took your place couldn't replace you with success.No other guitarist that came after you,contributed so much to this band,they were all great guitar players but just...players!In the songwiting process they offered almost nothing!

Randy Shawver:Thank you for the compliment. It is great to hear from someone who actually acknowledges those contributions.

Rock Overdose.gr: This is not only my opinion but most of the fans opinion also,fans who do not just listen to this band but those who are interested and hungry for everything that has to do with the planet that is called Iced Earth!
So the question Randy is...will we hear music news from you in the future?

Randy Shawver:At the moment I doubt it.I write music all the time and have literally hundreds of songs ranging from Metal to classical pieces.I may eventually get back into music.It usually takes 10 years to get the itch again and I stopped playing seriously around 2003 so who knows.

Rock Overdose.gr: Awesome news Randy!Back in 2002,we saw Dark Genesis box set including the first three albums of Iced Earth plus the Enter The Realm demo,plus a cd with covers.
As far as you know,who is responsible for the idea of replacing the original album covers with the new comic ones?Many fans reacted badly when they saw these covers and in my opinion these covers have to be considered at least ridiculous!
Specially the Burnt Offerings cover that replaced Gustave Dore's masterpiece art images of the Divine Comedy is at least a blasphemy!You just can't compare the original art images with the new ones!
What is your opinion about these covers?

Randy Shawver: I think when something is released and people get used to it , changes should be minimal.But it was likely an attempt to use up another record option with the record company.When I buy Iron Maiden number of the Beast I want to see the original artwork and hear the original musicians not other people playing cover tunes or new artwork.

Rock Overdose.gr: Are you in touch with the old and the new members of Iced Earth and with whom?

Randy Shawver: I have spoken with Greely , Dave Abell and a few others.I spoke with Blind Guardian in Orlando a few years back.Everybody has moved on to different areas of the country.I moved to Texas for 5 years but am now back in Florida.

Rock Overdose.gr: Randy i don't have anything else to ask you.For me it was really an honor and this interview couldn't have happened without you.I wish you all the best for you and your family and may all your dreams come true!The end is yours,send a message to the Greek fans and close this interview as you like.

Randy Shawver: It is an honor to speak with you and to tell the Greek fans that I love you all and appreciate your support in the past.We may visit Greece soon.I would be happy to meet the fans who I have met there in the past.

Thank you ,
           Randall Shawver

https://www.rockoverdose.gr/news_details.php?id=14273

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1203 on: August 13, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »
Nothing really surprising there. Randy sounds like a cool guy. Was a great player on those IE records.

A friend of mine recently visited me and saw my Iced Earth banner and started talking about how Schaffer came into the illegal bar that she tends a while back and got drunk off scotch and was having a political debate with her. I cringed at the thought of that. I can honestly say my overall enthusiasm for anything Schaffer related is at an all time low. I can't really mention Iced Earth in the same breath as other classic metal bands like I once would.

Online Adami

« Reply #1204 on: August 13, 2012, 05:05:11 PM »
I actually revisited Burnt Offerings a bit ago. What an amazing album. The (remaster and remix) has amazing production for Iced Earth and everyone just seems SO amazingly tight. The songs just ooze emotion, which can't be said about anything IE has done in well over a decade now. The music is interesting, aggressive and not insanely predictable. The lyrics are personal and emotional and not just about how much the government sucks.

I really miss THAT Iced Earth.

Also, he and Randal came up with some awesome clean parts back in those days. It seems since SWTWC, every clean riff has essentially been the same thing.

Also, the leads and solos were way cooler. I miss those.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #1205 on: August 13, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »
After reading your post I decided to give Burnt Offerings its first spin in at least a year.  Completely forgot how much I used to enjoy that album.  There is 10x more passion, uniqueness and emotion in that album then in both Crucible and Dystopia.  Can you even imagine something like The Pierced Spirit on one of the recent albums?

It's a shame that there is almost no chance Shaffer will ever find that magic again...those 90s albums really are special.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: August 13, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Nothing really surprising there. Randy sounds like a cool guy. Was a great player on those IE records.

A friend of mine recently visited me and saw my Iced Earth banner and started talking about how Schaffer came into the illegal bar that she tends a while back and got drunk off scotch and was having a political debate with her. I cringed at the thought of that. I can honestly say my overall enthusiasm for anything Schaffer related is at an all time low. I can't really mention Iced Earth in the same breath as other classic metal bands like I once would.

Illegal bar?

Also, is that better or worse than him trying to cash-in on his "fame" to sleep with her?

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1207 on: August 14, 2012, 12:22:54 AM »
As in an unlicensed bar. What's sad is that he had an attractive girl serving him and the only thing he could discuss was politics. Granted, she herself does a fair amount of libertarian counter-protest work (she asked Rick Santorum if he would abort a gay baby earlier in the year and successfully got a Chick-fil-a to sponsor a gay-pride parade last week) but I highly doubt she would have mixed words with a guy she knew nothing about unless he started rambling about it first. She was unaware of his pseudo-celebrity status. She just noted that he was rather unpleasant to be around and wax any sort of conversation with.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1208 on: August 15, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »
Guys, Jon Schaffer is married with kid(s).

Anyway, I'm sure someone has done this since 1997, but I was bored so I'm doing it too.

Iced Earth Revisited: The Days Of Purgatory Edition:

1. Iced Earth (Tempo slighty increased)
2. Cast In Stone
3. Colors
4. Nightmares
5. Life And Death
6. Solitude
7. The Funeral
8. When The Night Falls (With or without Original Intro)

:metal :metal :metal

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: August 15, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »
^ right, i had forgotten "Cast in Stone" is a rewrite of "Written on the Walls." never understood why they dropped the melody from the beginning, though. and speaking of melodic beginnings — whose cockeyed idea was it to drop the intro of "When the Night Falls?!" it's one of the best things about it! i had to make a splice of the original intro + Barlow vocal version to have what i'd call the fairly obvious best version (though i seem to disagree with Schaffer on this in several instances).

(addendum: Schaffer was right about the original intro of "Burnt Offerings," though. it was a seemingly rare moment of brilliance to build a new beginning using the end of "Dante's Inferno.")

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1210 on: August 15, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »
Agreed on the WTNF's intro. I hadn't heard the original version until a few years ago and it was shocking to hear such a cool musical cue that had been dropped for whatever reason.

I'm well aware that Jon is married with a young daughter. Doesn't mean he can't be mildly flirtatious with a female bartender. Most guys do it, and it rarely crosses any moralistic line. What you don't do is talk the ear off of a complete stranger about your nut-job conspiracy theorist garbage. I couldn't imagine having to be on tour with him. I'd likely hang myself in the tour-bus bathroom within a week.

Offline adace

« Reply #1211 on: August 18, 2012, 10:43:51 PM »

Online Adami

« Reply #1212 on: August 18, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »
full Bloodstock performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNrmBDgT5xQ

Sound quality is rather disappointing, but thanks dude! Good to hear a mediocre recording of Stu, even if he is lost in the mix (at least on the first song, which is all I'm up to so far).
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1213 on: August 18, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »
Man. This band just doesn't seem as lethal to me as they once did when I was in high school. It's depressing.

Online Adami

« Reply #1214 on: August 18, 2012, 11:00:22 PM »
Man. This band just doesn't seem as lethal to me as they once did when I was in high school. It's depressing.

That's cause you're living in a jackal city state, a prison.

Nothing more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1215 on: August 18, 2012, 11:15:05 PM »
I will say that Stu brings a humor to the band that was largely absent before, which I as a person can enjoy, but I'm not sure it benefits the band much. I guess Jon is lightening up at his age, but it just feels weird. I don't know.

Stu sounds pretty good actually. I get a sense that the road has allowed him to work out stuff. He's still got a ways to go, but certain stuff sounds more natural coming out of him now, which was my major issue previously.

I had only seen the clip of Anthem the other day, which is certainly rough. If the guy would take a sec and sip a hot beverage, he could have gotten rid of that chunky throat.

Online Adami

« Reply #1216 on: August 18, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »
They need a new drummer.

Also for the love god let Stu sing naturally. Him forcing a Barlow impression (which is undoubtedly the command of Jon) is really bad live.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1217 on: August 19, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »
They need a new drummer.
This was my first thought when watching that video. So dull.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Adami

« Reply #1218 on: August 19, 2012, 12:26:38 AM »
They need a new drummer.

What that man can do with his feet is nothing short of incredible. But he is BORING as hell. And has added nothing in the slightest bit of interest since he joined the band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1219 on: August 19, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »
Well we all know that if Deadly Smedley even so much as hints at creativity, he'll be getting an e-mail.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1220 on: August 19, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
They need a new drummer.

What that man can do with his feet is nothing short of incredible. But he is BORING as hell. And has added nothing in the slightest bit of interest since he joined the band.

he's basically stolen everything from Nicko McBrain, even the facial expressions while he does tom rolls!

Online Adami

« Reply #1221 on: August 19, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »
Well we all know that if Deadly Smedley even so much as hints at creativity, he'll be getting an text message.

Fixed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1222 on: August 19, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »
Well we all know that if Deadly Smedley even so much as hints at creativity, he'll be getting an text message.

Fixed.

Ah yes, I forgot. Email is so 2007.

Online Adami

« Reply #1223 on: August 19, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
Wasn't Owens dumped via text?
fanticide.bandcamp.com