85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314548 times)

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #1015 on: October 21, 2011, 10:51:11 AM »
Jon has used the same guitars on every album (various Gibson models). Whatever complaint you have with sound is likely due to the mixing choices.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1016 on: October 21, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »
He said he switch to a different guitar for Alive In Athens and he's used it since. Or maybe I miss heard/read him...

I'MRIGHTYOU'REWRONG!!!!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1017 on: October 21, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
Only 5 songs through this album, and I am really liking it a LOT. Stu sounds great. Hearing that he was Into Eternity's vocalist scared me off. Not into any growls, but I have to say, he sounds remarkably like Barlow.
Can't wait to dig in more.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: October 21, 2011, 11:28:42 AM »
Yeah I dig this album too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1019 on: October 21, 2011, 12:42:48 PM »
He said he switch to a different guitar for Alive In Athens and he's used it since. Or maybe I miss heard/read him...

I'MRIGHTYOU'REWRONG!!!!!!

From the press release 4 years ago:

Well, recently a dream of mine came true. I’m now officially a Gibson Guitars endorsed artist.

This is the only guitar that I’ve used on every Iced Earth studio album and I’ve been an absolute Gibson addict for years. As many of you know, I’ve played 99% of every guitar part ever played on an Iced Earth recording. With the exception of a few guitar solos, I’ve recorded every rhythm, lead, clean and acoustic guitar part that you’ve ever heard from the band. All of those parts, with a very few exceptions, have been with a varying axe from the arsenal of my prized Gibson Guitars. It's because for my style there isn't a guitar out there that comes close in terms of tone, tightness and shear power. If you're a serious player, I highly recommend that you experience the power and focus of a Gibson Les Paul, Explorer, SG, etc. They all rule and they all can handle the speed and precision of brutal metal riffing, where most others fail to handle it. I've been saying it for years, even when I wasn't endorsed, there is no better, not even close.

I don't like to be snobby...but when it comes to Iced Earth, I consider myself a bit of an expert :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1020 on: October 21, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
I must have dreamt it then...

I'LL GET YOU GADGET!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1021 on: October 21, 2011, 01:59:01 PM »
I mean the only thing I can think of is you referring to the BC Rich Warlock's he used to play live. That was just for the endorsement. Those things are pretty terrible. And If I'm not mistaken he overdubbed just about everything from Alive in Athens with his usual Gibson arsenal, so the only time you've have heard him actually play one is on cruddy bootlegs or seeing them live from 92-99.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1022 on: October 22, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »
Me not knoweth.

Anyway, if Iced Earth were to release an "Essential Best of Collection", what would your track list look like?

Here's my 3 disc set:

Disc 1:
1. Enter The Realm (Days Of Purgatory) - 0:54
2. Colors (Days Of Purgatory) - 5:04
3. When The Night Falls (Remaster) - 8:44
4. Desert Rain (Remaster) - 6:55
5. Pure Evil (Remaster) - 6:34
6. Travel In Stygian (Live) - 9:12
7. Burnt Offerings (Remaster) - 7:22
8. Diary (Remaster) - 6:14
9. Dante's Inferno (Remaster) - 16:26
10. Slave To The Dark (Live) - 3:52
11. A Question Of Heaven (Live) - 8:10

79:27

Disc 2:
1. Winter Nights (Days Of Purgatory) - 3:56
2. Something Wicked - Prophecy - 6:19
3. Something Wicked - Birth Of The Wicked - 4:16
4. Something Wicked - The Coming Curse - 9:33
5. Damien - 9:11
6. Dracula - 5:53
7. The Phantom Opera Ghost - 8:41
8. Gettysburg (1863) - The Devil To Pay - 12:13
9. Gettysburg (1863) - Hold At All Costs - 7:05
10. Gettysburg (1863) - High Water Mark - 12:35

79:47

Disc 3:
1. Something Wicked Part 1 - 4:36
2. Ten Thousand Strong - 3:56
3. The Clouding - 9:18
4. The Domino Decree - 6:36
5. Behold The Wicked Child - 5:37
6. Sacrificial Kingdoms - 3:57
7. Come What May - 7:23
8. Dystopia - 5:49
9. Dark City - 5:42
10. Iron Will - 4:15
11. Tragedy And Triumph - 6:48

64:04

The Stormrider Trilogy (Live) - 15:17

There's enough room to squeeze The Stormrider Trilogy (Live) on here, but the tracks would need to be mixed up. How would you guys have them ordered?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:08:58 PM by Zook »

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: October 22, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »
I'd buy yours  :tup

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1024 on: October 22, 2011, 10:51:01 PM »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: October 23, 2011, 03:30:27 AM »
Tim 'Ripper' Owens Joins Brand New 'Supergroup' Tred

According to Blabbermouth.net, powerhouse American vocalist Tim "Ripper" Owens (Dio Disciples, Yngwie Malmsteen, Beyond Fear, Judas Priest, Iced Earth) has been named the lead singer of Tred, the new band featuring bassist Rudy Sarzo (Blue Öyster Cult, Ozzy Osbourne, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, Dio), drummer A.J. Pero (Twisted Sister) and guitar virtuoso Mike Orlando (Adrenaline Mob, Sonic Stomp). An album's worth of material is currently being recorded for a 2012 release. European and U.S. tour dates are also planned.

Tred's musical direction is described as "go-for-the-throat, straight-ahead rock."

Commented Orlando: "15 tracks so far are in pre-production."

"A.J., Rudy and myself are real excited about launching this new lineup and it will definetely have tons of energy, great playing and some kick-a-s hard rock!"

"It will be an honor to be part of this new band, as it is an honor to be part of Adrenaline Mob as well! Should be an exciting 2012!"

Tred is:

Tim "Ripper" Owens (Dio Disciples, Yngwie Malmsteen, Beyond Fear, Judas Priest, Iced Earth) - Lead Vocals
Rudy Sarzo (Blue Öyster Cult, Ozzy Osbourne, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, Dio) - Bass
A.J. Pero (Twisted Sister) - Drums
Mike Orlando (Adrenaline Mob, Sonic Stomp) - Guitar

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tim_ripper_owens_joins_brand_new_supergroup_tred.html

I figured I would post it in this thread since we were talking about what Ripper is doing nowadays.

Eeek.

You gotta wonder, just how much of a "full time" band Adrenaline Mob is. On one hand, you've got MP saying it's a full-time band. On the other, you've got AMOB's primary songwriter, Mike Orlando, joining a new band before the AMOB full-length is even out.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1026 on: October 23, 2011, 11:24:42 PM »
Bumped for edited postage. ^^

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1027 on: October 24, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is considered the Stormrider trilogy? Are you referring to Angels Holocaust/Stormrider/The Path I Choose?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: October 24, 2011, 09:56:39 AM »
why does no one ever include the first song of The Suffering trilogy? they don't even play it live!

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1029 on: October 24, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »
Cuz its boring and a poor knock-off of the song Black Sabbath.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1030 on: October 24, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
Pardon my ignorance, but what is considered the Stormrider trilogy? Are you referring to Angels Holocaust/Stormrider/The Path I Choose?

Yes. I know it's not a trilogy, but that's the only thing I can think of to call it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1031 on: October 24, 2011, 11:10:33 AM »
Someone on the Symphony X forum is calling Iced Earth emo. What is that I don't even

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: October 24, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
Cuz its boring and a poor knock-off of the song Black Sabbath.
has Schaffer said so? i don't give a shit if you don't like it, but if he's said they don't play it with the other two songs from the trilogy for that reason, it seems pretty dumb to me — i'm sure he plays a bunch of songs he doesn't care for so much. and besides, he's fond of re-writing and re-recording material endlessly, so you'd figure he would have fixed whatever he doesn't like by now.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1033 on: October 24, 2011, 01:29:49 PM »
I never said I didn't like it. Not a favorite of mine, but its passable. No real way to save it, though. The song is boring. Rerecording it wouldn't help the slow tempo, lack of any real rise or fall in the structure and the overall drudging feel. And Jon is not the type to play something he doesn't feel like. He picks the set-lists. I'm sure if he was sick of a song, he'd drop it. Throwing a wrench in your set like that would sink the mood of a live show in half a second. Gotta keep the energy and spirits high, both of which the latter two songs in the trilogy possess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1034 on: October 24, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
They played the whole trilogy in Gothenburg 2002. Only problem was Jon's mic didn't work the whole night. I think the song is boring too.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1035 on: October 25, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
My official review:

"That Iced Earth's newest album Dystopia is nearly identical to its predecessors does not necessarily condemn it to mediocrity. The band's leader (and sole fixture), rhythm guitarist Jon Schaffer, has been cutting songs from the same cloth for a long time, but has managed to produce a number of very enjoyable albums despite this.

Although it's equal parts remarkable and disappointing that Dystopia, Iced Earth's third consecutive album with a new lead singer, is interchangeable with the other two albums, there are things to be enjoyed here. To those who've heard them, Iced Earth presents the same familiar elements as other thrash/power metal groups: thundering double bass drums, palm-muted riffs, and an overwrought vocal delivery.

New vocalist Stu Block (formerly of Canadian group Into Eternity) gamely gives it his all, although his voice, often sounding like a mix between his two precursors', doesn't exactly bring anything new to the overall sound. Block at least sounds like he's having fun; while his approach isn't exactly nuanced, it nevertheless livens up the otherwise tepid material he's provided with. The lyrics are rather middling; Dystopia is a concept album, and one whose subject is as self-evident as it is unoriginal.

The most dispiriting aspect of this album is that it all feels so rote; it reeks of something assembled, with each incorporated element checked off a list of metal clichés. Even though they are executed competently, it doesn't offset how uninspired the effort is."
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1036 on: October 25, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
No u.

Just kidding, I kind of agree.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: October 25, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
Dystopia is a concept album, and one whose subject is as self-evident as it is unoriginal.

err, it isn't, though. agreed with your statements (several songs are by-the-numbers and nothing pushes the progressive aspects that drew me into their music in the first place), though i find it's still managed to create some classics ("Dystopia," "Anthem," "Days of Rage," etc.).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1038 on: October 25, 2011, 11:45:15 AM »
it's still managed to create some classics ("Dystopia," "Anthem," "Days of Rage," etc.).

WAT

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1039 on: October 25, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
I actually think that's a fair review. While, like any album, it has grown on me over the last several weeks, I don't feel that in the long run I will hold it as high as other releases from the catalog.

And in my opinion, using the phrase "concept album" isn't correct. Thematic, sure. But there is no cohesive story-telling going on. It's in line with say Horror Show (horror) and Glorious Burden (wars) as opposed to Framing Armageddon, Crucible of Man, Night of the Stormrider or Dark Saga which all have a central characters we follow. Then there are of course the loose albums including the debut, Burnt Offerings and Something Wicked This Way Comes. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1040 on: October 25, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
You know, even with Gene Adam's horribleness, the debut is pretty frickin' awesome.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1041 on: October 25, 2011, 05:14:59 PM »
I prefer just about every one of the tracks on Days of Purgatory. My only complaint is some missing stuff (especially the opening to When the Night Falls. That kicks ass).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1042 on: October 25, 2011, 05:18:25 PM »
I prefer just about every one of the tracks on Days of Purgatory. My only complaint is some missing stuff (especially the opening to When the Night Falls. That kicks ass).

Well that's an easy fix in Audacity. And yeah, all the debut stuff is better on DoP.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1043 on: October 25, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »
I already tried fucking with multiple tracks to make a my ultimate mix, but the tempos and keys are always slightly off with the early records, due to the use of tape. They had to heat them up when they remixed and re-recorded parts and the speeds and such are varied. The later releases have all been digitally kept intact and therefore are note perfect for mixing and matching (like how fans have made a mix of Charge to Keep with both Tim and Matt's vocals).

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1044 on: October 25, 2011, 06:51:47 PM »
it's still managed to create some classics ("Dystopia," "Anthem," "Days of Rage," etc.).

WAT

DAYS
OF
RAGE!!!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1045 on: October 25, 2011, 07:18:51 PM »
I already tried fucking with multiple tracks to make a my ultimate mix, but the tempos and keys are always slightly off with the early records, due to the use of tape. They had to heat them up when they remixed and re-recorded parts and the speeds and such are varied. The later releases have all been digitally kept intact and therefore are note perfect for mixing and matching (like how fans have made a mix of Charge to Keep with both Tim and Matt's vocals).

I just meant if you wanted to have the intro of When The Night Falls on the Barlow version, just copy and paste it on. Works just fine. I also increased the tempo of the DoP Iced Earth to the correct tempo because it was ridiculously slow for some reason, and it sounds pretty good.

WAT

DAYS
OF
RAGE!!!!!

Oh.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1046 on: October 25, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »

I just meant if you wanted to have the intro of When The Night Falls on the Barlow version, just copy and paste it on. Works just fine. I also increased the tempo of the DoP Iced Earth to the correct tempo because it was ridiculously slow for some reason, and it sounds pretty good.

I don't have the patience. Just send me your copies :P

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1047 on: October 25, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
Lazy ass. Well I suppose I could....

WOOSH

Did you hear something?

WOOOOOOSH

:bosk1:

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1048 on: October 26, 2011, 08:58:37 AM »
Dystopia sold 6,100 copies in the US its first week. I guessed 6,000 even. I rule ;D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1049 on: October 26, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
Damn, Dedicated To Chaos sold more.