85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314433 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #980 on: October 14, 2011, 05:48:43 AM »
Fucking killer song though!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #981 on: October 14, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
Red Baron is a great song, albeit there's is a large repetitious portion of riffs that could be excised. For "book report" lyrics, it's certainly as good as anything Schaffer has ever written.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #982 on: October 14, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: October 14, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
Ripper either wrote or co- wrote "What's my name?" from the Demolition JP disc.  I thought that was a great song and should have made the final cut.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #984 on: October 14, 2011, 07:54:59 PM »
He wrote the lyrics for that one song. And wrote about half of the lyrics on Heart of a Killer. But still, his chops were more or less dormant from 1995-2007. Between Priest and Iced Earth, he has one lyrical credit a piece.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: October 14, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »
I'll buy the album today.... I'm so excited....
Dystopia hit me like a rock btw..... another guy to worship... Love you Stu  :heart

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: October 14, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »
I'll buy the album today.... I'm so excited....
Dystopia hit me like a rock btw..... another CANADIAN to worship... Love you Stu  :heart

fix'd it myself.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: October 15, 2011, 07:35:37 AM »
Ripper either wrote or co- wrote "What's my name?" from the Demolition JP disc.  I thought that was a great song and should have made the final cut.

Not a great song IMO, but I guess it could replace Cyberface.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #988 on: October 15, 2011, 11:43:36 PM »
I'm enjoying Dystopia a lot more now that I've given it more listens.  Even still, I feel like Schaffer has really lost his touch. I thought Framing Armageddon and Crucible were ok (well, maybe not so much Crucible), and even though Dystopia is a pretty good album, it's been so long since Schaffer has written an album that was truly magical. 

Their albums in the 90s (and Horrow Show) had so many songs that were unique and really had their own identity.  I just don't get that same feeling with his most recent stuff, like he sticks to one formula and doesn't really stray too far.  I mean its not like IE has really changed their sound much at all in the past 20 years, but still I just don't feel like the past few albums have had much of a distinctive, fresh, or unique sound.  It's like Schaffer is almost just going through the motions and playing it safe. 

I mean, there really is only so much you can do with a million galloping triplets, but Iced Earth has been a favorite band of mine for many years now, and it sucks to see the decline in quality of material.  I still like the newer stuff, but it just doesn't stand up to the IE of the 90s. 

For instance, today I was thinking of songs they won't play live because Stu may not be able to sing them.  One of the first songs that popped in my head was Dracula....he's very talented so I'm fairly confident he could sing it live.  But the next thought I had was "Man, that song is really fucking cool and has such a unique feel to it.  There isn't really anything on Dystopia that has that stands out like Dracula does."

Maybe the revolving door of vocalists has affected Schaffer's song writing....hopefully Stu will be with the band for a while so we can really see what the band is capable of with him in it.

Of course this is all completely subjective, so I'm sure a lot of you will feel differently.  At this point I'm just rambling like an idiot so I'm just gonna press the post button lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #989 on: October 16, 2011, 05:12:13 AM »
I'd certainly say that Framing Armageddon is magical.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #990 on: October 16, 2011, 05:53:28 AM »
I wouldnt, but thats mainly because Matt Barlow is one of my all time favorite vocalists and I really don't like Ripper too much.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #991 on: October 17, 2011, 03:16:39 AM »
I like Dystopia. Nothing special, but miles better than Crucibe. Stu Block sounds like the child of Tim and Matt with a little bit of unique-ness in the mix. If he continues with this style i'll just call him Matt Owens...
Anywhooo, the songs are pretty good. I just wish Jon would try to be a little bit more creative in the riff-department. The Em-D-C-(B) or Em-D-G progressions are getting really old. Dystopia (the song) starts with the most clichè metal-rythm and chord progression ever, i mean come on! The rest of the song is good though..
The title track, V (rising up from the fireeeee!) and Soylent Green are favorites.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: October 17, 2011, 04:23:57 AM »
Just got my digi cd and t-shirt in the mail from CMDistro!!!!  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #993 on: October 17, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »
Just got my digi cd and t-shirt in the mail from CMDistro!!!!  :metal

What are the bonus tracks on disc 2?

EDIT: Is there a disc 2?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:27:14 AM by Zook »

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #994 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »
The digi is one disc with Soylent Green, Iron Will and the string mix of Anthem as bonus tracks.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #995 on: October 17, 2011, 10:54:59 AM »
The digi is one disc with Soylent Green, Iron Will and the string mix of Anthem as bonus tracks.

I thought there were supposed to be some additional bonus tracks on a DVD or some shit. Does it come with the box set? I remember reading something about that.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #996 on: October 17, 2011, 03:02:30 PM »

The copy of Horror Show I ordered in the mail (last copy i had was one I borrowed from a friend)

Pretty excited and I can't wait for the copy of Dystopia I pre-ordered to get here.  :metal

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #997 on: October 17, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »
I have that one. I also have two other versions. That particular one has an audio error at the end of Im-Ho-Tep.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #998 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:10 PM »
Hmm i didn't hear it when i listened to it (then again I might not have been paying attention)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: October 17, 2011, 09:13:55 PM »

I thought there were supposed to be some additional bonus tracks on a DVD or some shit. Does it come with the box set? I remember reading something about that.

My digi version that I have has the tracks that Myke mentioned. THere is no DVD according to CMDistro.

https://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Iced_Earth_-_Dystopia_-Ltd_Dlx_Box_Set-/39375

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: October 17, 2011, 09:59:48 PM »
Wolf, whats the verdict on the new Iced Earth?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: October 17, 2011, 11:53:35 PM »
Wolf, whats the verdict on the new Iced Earth?

Mate, I opened it late last night when I got home from work so I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.  I'll post my thoughts as soon as I give it a spin.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1002 on: October 18, 2011, 05:08:55 AM »
If Troy isn't looking somewhere other than the camera in the band pic, I'll be pissed.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1003 on: October 18, 2011, 05:55:45 AM »
If Troy isn't looking somewhere other than the camera in the band pic, I'll be pissed.

:rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: October 19, 2011, 04:53:50 AM »
My thoughts after my first listen;

First, the t-shirt I got from CMDistro is pretty awesome, nice print on the font.

Second, the packinging is nice, it has a cool fold out poster and a fancy sticker, which is cool.  The booklet has very thick pages with fantastic artwork all the way through, with a painting relating to each song.  No band pics at all though.

I guess the first word that comes to mind when listening to Dystopia is safe.  Things are pretty samey throughout with not much variety and no real stand out songs IMO.  Keep in mind it's only my first listen, but this is just Iced Earth by numbers.  There's no Dante, Coming Curse, Stygian, Question of Heaven or even Clouding or Framing Armageddon.  I will say already that this is much better than the terrible Crucible.

I am a big fan of Stu's voice.  I like his work in End of Innocence, another ballad on the album like that would have helped here.  I for one like what he is doing in Anthem and the vocal layering is really great.  Some songs like the title track shows his diversity, but overall, Jon has held him back.  He could have done so much more here.  His Barlow impression is amazing and fits the music well, but I do wish he would let him sing like Stu, not Matt.  It worked with Ripper and it would have worked here.  Stu sounds so confined in what he's been told and allowed to sing.

Also another intersting note is that Stu has writing credits on lyrics on all songs bar Days of Rage and Anguish of Youth, and Troy shares music writing credits on V and Soylent Green.  Speaking of Troy, I am pleasantly surprised at his work here.  It's still sloppy and too random, but the solos he adds to the songs is quite acceptable.

Schaffer proves that he is the king of the recycled riff.  Many moments on the album remind the listener of past IE songs and moments, even sections repeating themselves a couple of times through the album.

A special mention to Iron Will, this sucker should not have been a bonus track.  Sure it's Valley Forge 2 but it's certainly top 3 on the album, great melodies.

Overall, these are just my first impressions and I've obviously missed a shit load, but this is decent and I look forward to digging into it and see how much more I can get out of it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:06 AM »
Tim 'Ripper' Owens Joins Brand New 'Supergroup' Tred

According to Blabbermouth.net, powerhouse American vocalist Tim "Ripper" Owens (Dio Disciples, Yngwie Malmsteen, Beyond Fear, Judas Priest, Iced Earth) has been named the lead singer of Tred, the new band featuring bassist Rudy Sarzo (Blue Öyster Cult, Ozzy Osbourne, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, Dio), drummer A.J. Pero (Twisted Sister) and guitar virtuoso Mike Orlando (Adrenaline Mob, Sonic Stomp). An album's worth of material is currently being recorded for a 2012 release. European and U.S. tour dates are also planned.

Tred's musical direction is described as "go-for-the-throat, straight-ahead rock."

Commented Orlando: "15 tracks so far are in pre-production."

"A.J., Rudy and myself are real excited about launching this new lineup and it will definetely have tons of energy, great playing and some kick-a-s hard rock!"

"It will be an honor to be part of this new band, as it is an honor to be part of Adrenaline Mob as well! Should be an exciting 2012!"

Tred is:

Tim "Ripper" Owens (Dio Disciples, Yngwie Malmsteen, Beyond Fear, Judas Priest, Iced Earth) - Lead Vocals
Rudy Sarzo (Blue Öyster Cult, Ozzy Osbourne, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, Dio) - Bass
A.J. Pero (Twisted Sister) - Drums
Mike Orlando (Adrenaline Mob, Sonic Stomp) - Guitar

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/tim_ripper_owens_joins_brand_new_supergroup_tred.html

I figured I would post it in this thread since we were talking about what Ripper is doing nowadays.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1006 on: October 19, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »
Adrenaline Mob 2: The Shriekquel

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: October 20, 2011, 08:31:01 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1008 on: October 21, 2011, 02:55:37 AM »
If you think that's bad, listen to their Trooper cover. Troy can not replicate a solo for shit and always takes the easy way out by just making one note longer where several would be.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: October 21, 2011, 05:28:04 AM »
Where is this cover?  When did they do it? I've never heard of it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: October 21, 2011, 05:38:55 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfQrNsXAL0
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: October 21, 2011, 05:47:06 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfQrNsXAL0

Wow, quite simply a terrible cover all round.  Boring, lifeless, Stu sounds just bored and average, and Troy couldn't even attempt the fucking solo, disgusting.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #1012 on: October 21, 2011, 06:56:33 AM »
I liked the cover and nice idea. The solo is no worse to me than many of Maiden's versions.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1013 on: October 21, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »
Using the baritone guitars was a mistake. Never play a cover more then a half-step lower then the original song. It becomes unrecognizable and loses all life and passion in it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1014 on: October 21, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »
Jon needs to switch back to whatever he used on Something Wicked This Way Comes. Once he switch guitars at Alive In Athens, all albums after (Horror Show to an extent) sounded thin and not the beefy sound that previous albums had. I wish Mark Prator was Iced Earth's drummer too. I'm sick of Smedley and Schaffer's machine gun bullshit. It's what ruined the Something Wicked Trilogy remake, along with Schaffer's palm muting extravaganza.

ARGH!