85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310728 times)

Offline JoeBob

• I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2009, 09:46:04 PM »
Barlow by far.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #106 on: May 29, 2009, 06:31:46 AM »
Definitely Framing Armageddon. Ripper sounds incredible and the music is great too.
I thought Ripper was very good too.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: May 29, 2009, 08:58:21 PM »
I'm having trouble getting into both.

And I think Burnt Offerings is terrible. Alive In Athens stands out because their studio work is very flawed. They have never really been able to catch Barlow quite right, and a lot of it just sounds thin. The drum sounds that they have is terrible. I forget the session drummers name off the top of my head. He's excellent, but I don't like how it's layered in the music. I think Horrow Show is probably the best produced studio album they have though.

If you already think Iced Earth, then I'd just give up. I like 'em, but their music really doesn't really have a long shelf life.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2009, 07:03:22 PM »

And I think Burnt Offerings is terrible. Alive In Athens stands out because their studio work is very flawed. They have never really been able to catch Barlow quite right, and a lot of it just sounds thin. The drum sounds that they have is terrible. I forget the session drummers name off the top of my head. He's excellent, but I don't like how it's layered in the music. I think Horrow Show is probably the best produced studio album they have though.

TAC  - do you honestly think Maiden's production is better? If so, how?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »

Andy, I don’t ever recall trumpeting Maiden’s production values, but I’ll get to that later.

I reread some of my comments. I usually try to not depreciate in these threads. But I think I was looking at it as a “discussion” thread rather than an “appreciation” thread.

Let me just try and restate my thoughts. I do not  “not” like Iced Earth. There is plenty to like about them.
Alive In Athens is one of the MUST have metal albums of all time. But here was my general point regarding production: The thing that makes Alive In Athens so strong is that it truly captures the band optimally. It quite effectively captures the energy and intent of these songs in a way that is not evident on the studio versions. That is what I mean when I talk about the production of their earlier albums. I just don’t think, in the studio they were ever able to capture Iced Earth in all of their glory. I’m referring to Pre Athens mind you. Something Wicked, up until that point, to me, comes the closest. I have an original Burnt Offerings and my understanding is that the remaster did wonders for this album.  That’s good, because to me, the original sounds terrible.  That’s just my opinion.

Alive In Athens is not unlike so many other classic live albums. What makes these albums special is that they capture the true essence of the band. UFO’s Strangers In The Night, Kiss Alive, Frampton Comes Alive, Thin Lizzy’s Live And Dangerous just to name a few. It takes those bands’ respective songs and elevates them far beyond what was catured on the studio versions. Alive In Athens does this for Iced Earth. It’s a victory for the live album, but I can’t help but feel the missed opportunity for their studio work.
Dark Saga, to me just sounds so sterile and thin.
Now you’re a big Iced Earth fan, so you’ll probably like most of anything that they do. I’m a casual Iced Earth fan.
Post Athens, I love Horror Show. I think it sounds great and I have zero complaints about it. As far as the Glorious Burden, after Gettysburgh 1863, I think the album relapses back to that too sterile feeling. Again, I bet Delcaration Day is 10 times better live.

Honestly, to me, the last 2 albums have been kind of a blur. I can’t get my hands around them. I certainly haven’t given up on them. I think there’s a lot to offer, and I haven’t had the time to really “dig in”. Pyramaze’s Immortal was much more accessable and I think it’s an outstanding album.

OK, to answer your Maiden question: I think for the most part they are fairly well produced. I like their sound. As far as the 80’s go, I’m OK with most of it. I think Powerslave could have more balls, that’s for sure.
No Prayer, productionwise, isn’t that good, and the production damn near killed both The X Factor and Virtual IX.
I can’t complain about anything they’ve done since Bruce came back into the band. You could argue that 3 rhythm guitarists isn’t necessary. That’s an argument for another day. A lot of people do not care for the production on AMOLAD. I like it very much. It does a great job in capturing the energy of those songs. After hearing the Death On The Road version to Dance Of Death, maybe you could argue that the studio version didn’t do it justice as well.

Production issues aside, and I don’t want to turn this into a bashing Jon Shaeffer thing, but Iced Earth is a band that can be hard to root for from the outside. They just never seem to gain any momentum. The lineup changes makes it hard to find any continuity,. I like rooting for bands, not just listening to their music. Jon comments when Matt left the first time, and I remember them from the time, I thought were uncalled for. Jon’s made it very clear how difficult the music business is, so I don’t mean any disrespect, but the pacing of this whole Iced Earth project over the last 15 years makes it very tough to stay in touch with them. Believe me, I like Iced Earth. I just wish I liked them more.

My Iced Earth Top 10:

Gettysburgh 1863
A Question Of Heaven
Dante's Inferno
The Prophecy
Travel In Stygian
Dracula
Pure Evil
The Coming Curse
Path I Choose
Stornrider
Reaping Stone

Homestly, I would put these 10 songs up against ANY, and I mean ANY band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »

Andy, I don’t ever recall trumpeting Maiden’s production values, but I’ll get to that later.

I reread some of my comments. I usually try to not depreciate in these threads. But I think I was looking at it as a “discussion” thread rather than an “appreciation” thread.

Let me just try and restate my thoughts. I do not  “not” like Iced Earth. There is plenty to like about them.
Alive In Athens is one of the MUST have metal albums of all time. But here was my general point regarding production: The thing that makes Alive In Athens so strong is that it truly captures the band optimally. It quite effectively captures the energy and intent of these songs in a way that is not evident on the studio versions. That is what I mean when I talk about the production of their earlier albums. I just don’t think, in the studio they were ever able to capture Iced Earth in all of their glory. I’m referring to Pre Athens mind you. Something Wicked, up until that point, to me, comes the closest. I have an original Burnt Offerings and my understanding is that the remaster did wonders for this album.  That’s good, because to me, the original sounds terrible.  That’s just my opinion.

Alive In Athens is not unlike so many other classic live albums. What makes these albums special is that they capture the true essence of the band. UFO’s Strangers In The Night, Kiss Alive, Frampton Comes Alive, Thin Lizzy’s Live And Dangerous just to name a few. It takes those bands’ respective songs and elevates them far beyond what was catured on the studio versions. Alive In Athens does this for Iced Earth. It’s a victory for the live album, but I can’t help but feel the missed opportunity for their studio work.
Now you’re a big Iced Earth fan, so you’ll probably like most of anything that they do. I’m a casual Iced Earth fan.
Post Athens, I love Horror Show. I think it sounds great and I have zero complaints about it. As far as the Glorious Burden, after Gettysburgh 1863, I think the album relapses back to that too sterile feeling. Again, I bet Delcaration Day is 10 times better live.

Honestly, to me, the last 2 albums have been kind of a blur. I can’t get my hands around them. I certainly haven’t given up on them. I think there’s a lot to offer, and I haven’t had the time to really “dig in”. Pyramaze’s Immortal was much more accessable and I think it’s an outstanding album.

OK, to answer your Maiden question: I think for the most part they are fairly well produced. I like their sound. As far as the 80’s go, I’m OK with most of it. I think Powerslave could have more balls, that’s for sure.
No Prayer, productionwise, isn’t that good, and the production damn near killed both The X Factor and Virtual IX.
I can’t complain about anything they’ve done since Bruce came back into the band. You could argue that 3 rhythm guitarists isn’t necessary. That’s an argument for another day. A lot of people do not care for the production on AMOLAD. I like it very much. It does a great job in capturing the energy of those songs. After hearing the Death On The Road version to Dance Of Death, maybe you could argue that the studio version didn’t do it justice as well.

Production issues aside, and I don’t want to turn this into a bashing Jon Shaeffer thing, but Iced Earth is a band that can be hard to root for from the outside. They just never seem to gain any momentum. The lineup changes makes it hard to find any continuity,. I like rooting for bands, not just listening to their music. Jon comments when Matt left the first time, and I remember them from the time, I thought were uncalled for. Jon’s made it very clear how difficult the music business is, so I don’t mean any disrespect, but the pacing of this whole Iced Earth project over the last 15 years makes it very tough to stay in touch with them. Believe me, I like Iced Earth. I just wish I liked them more.

My Iced Earth Top 10:

Gettysburgh 1863
A Question Of Heaven
Dante's Inferno
The Prophecy
Travel In Stygian
Dracula
Pure Evil
The Coming Curse
Path I Choose
Stornrider
Reaping Stone

You may now take a breathe  :hat
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »
I have an original Burnt Offerings and my understanding is that the remaster did wonders for this album.  That’s good, because to me, the original sounds terrible.  That’s just my opinion.

No, that's a fact. The original sounds very terrible. Especially the drums.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »

You may now take a breathe  :hat
:lol

yeah..Thanks!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2009, 05:38:37 PM »
Personally, I think the rotating door policy of Iced Earth has really harmed it since the Dark Saga, because ever since Randall Shawvyer left there has not been another member who has contributed significantly to songwriting like him or Dave Abell did.  They were a major part of Iced Earth's sound, and I think some of the songwriting has been lacking depth (and speed) since then.

Also, the whole vocalist switches left us with an album with Ripper performing Barlow's lines (Glorious Burden) and an album of Barlow performing Ripper's lines (Crucible of Man), limiting what could be done with both.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »
Also, the whole vocalist switches left us with an album with Ripper performing Barlow's lines (Glorious Burden) and an album of Barlow performing Ripper's lines (Crucible of Man), limiting what could be done with both.

Wrong, all of them are Jon Schaffer's lines.  He writes the vocal melodies the same way, regardless of who is singing.  He has stated numerous times in interviews that he does not write songs for specific singers' voices.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2009, 08:15:50 PM »
Personally, I think the rotating door policy of Iced Earth has really harmed it since the Dark Saga, because ever since Randall Shawvyer left there has not been another member who has contributed significantly to songwriting like him or Dave Abell did.  They were a major part of Iced Earth's sound, and I think some of the songwriting has been lacking depth (and speed) since then.

Schaffer has said that he doesn't write music around the vocals, and even though he said he hears Ripper's voice when writing lyrics, in an interview I heard several months back, it sounded like he took offense to a question regarding Matt singing "Tim's Songs". Schaffer said something like, "they're not Tim's or Matt's songs, they're my songs."

But it appears that rat bastard Grappler already beat me to the punch.

Ya rat bastard!  :-*

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
I'll say something controversial, the only problem I have with Barlow is he gets into that growl sometimes and doesn't really add anything to the song e.g. Stand alone.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2009, 07:06:04 AM »
AndyDT saying something controversial?  Nah.. never!   ;D
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2009, 07:24:35 AM »
I'll say something controversial, the only problem I have with Barlow is he gets into that growl sometimes and doesn't really add anything to the song e.g. Stand alone.

I think that's one of his strengths.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2009, 12:28:41 AM »
I haven't liked any of their albums proceeding and including The Glorious Burden, but all their others are masterful.  One of my top 5 bands.  My IE top 10:

1. Travel In Stygian
2. When the Night Falls
3. Dracula
4. Burnt Offerings
5. Consequences

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2009, 08:47:55 AM »
I haven't liked any of their albums proceeding and including The Glorious Burden, but all their others are masterful.  One of my top 5 bands.  My IE top 10:

1. Travel In Stygian
2. When the Night Falls
3. Dracula
4. Burnt Offerings
5. Consequences

I know opinions on music are subjective and all, but I believe your top 10 is... lacking.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2009, 09:36:53 AM »

1. Travel In Stygian
2. When the Night Falls
3. Dracula
4. Burnt Offerings
5. Consequences
That's a nifty set of 10 songs you got there, sir.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 03:41:36 PM by lateralus88 »
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
Has anybody heard "Enter the Realm"?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2009, 01:58:32 PM »

My Iced Earth Top 10:

Gettysburgh 1863
A Question Of Heaven
Dante's Inferno
The Prophecy
Travel In Stygian
Dracula
Pure Evil
The Coming Curse
Path I Choose
Stornrider
Reaping Stone

This actually sums up my thoughts on Iced Earth album 100% :tup

I've tried to get on the inside of this band multiple times, but they have a way of making me just not want to care anymore. Anyway, I like Blind Guardian and Demons and Wizards much better.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2009, 02:00:57 PM »

1. Travel In Stygian
2. When the Night Falls
3. Dracula
4. Burnt Offerings
5. Consequences

I know opinions on music are subjective and all, but I believe your top 10 is... lacking.
Lol, yeah.  I decided to change it to simply a top 5, but apparently forgot to change the text accordingly...

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »
I am the one
I am the one
The godlike Terror Train

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2009, 12:54:28 PM »
What annoys me about Maiden is they'll never downtune and for the entire 1990s didn't seem to even try a heavier kind of production or guitar effect or something. One possible exception is "Brighter than a Thousand Sons". Iced Earth is a ton heavier not just because of the faster gallop that everbody talks about but *because* of the production.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: June 05, 2009, 01:06:15 PM »
What annoys me about Maiden is they'll never downtune and for the entire 1990s didn't seem to even try a heavier kind of production or guitar effect or something. One possible exception is "Brighter than a Thousand Sons". Iced Earth is a ton heavier not just because of the faster gallop that everbody talks about but *because* of the production.

I concur about the 90's Maiden production values. Very lacking indeed. But please don't turn this into an Iced Earth vs Iron Maiden thread. Brighter Than 1000 Suns was a 2006 release, and everything they've done in the 00's has been pretty well put together.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »

I concur about the 90's Maiden production values. Very lacking indeed. But please don't turn this into an Iced Earth vs Iron Maiden thread. Brighter Than 1000 Suns was a 2006 release, and everything they've done in the 00's has been pretty well put together.

That could be a very interesting discussion provided it was just comparisons and not rubbishing the other band.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: June 05, 2009, 03:04:08 PM »
That could be a very interesting discussion provided it was just comparisons and not rubbishing the other band.

One that hopefully starts with "There would be no Iced Earth without an Iron Maiden" first.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
Well, here's where I get controversial. I think Iced Earth is decent, but the only album of theirs that I consider to be good, and that I still listen to on a regular basis, is the self-titled. So, for the poll, I voted (seriously) for the comedy option.

I don't know what my issue is with the other albums is...but they just don't click with me. The Glorious Burden is okay, but it's not something I feel like listening to very much. Most of the other albums are, like I said, decent, but they just don't stick out to me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2009, 04:33:21 AM »
Top 5 bands for me right here...My love for them is = to Dream Theater...Love every album
Sig removed for being too tall.

Offline AndyDT

« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2009, 01:20:51 PM »
I wish Schaffer would get on with this new video. In the entire history of the band there's been one live video and even that wasn't sanctioned by Schaffer.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2009, 01:44:28 PM »
I picked up The Dark Saga and Night of The Stormrider recently. Both good albums, but man, Barlow is awesome on Saga.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »
Both good albums, but man, Barlow is awesome on everything.

Totally.

Offline Starkweather

« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2009, 02:40:27 PM »
Global Warming.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2009, 10:21:15 PM »
Found this interview of Schaffer explaining the story behind the Something Wicked saga. Pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6SuDdiK5Y&feature=related

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2009, 09:21:58 PM »
I've been hearing about a box set that is supposed to have Framing Armageddon re-recorded with Barlow doing vocals so he's on both Framing and Crucible. Has anyone else heard about this/have and updates on it?
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2009, 09:24:56 PM »
As of now, the box set has been scrapped because label SPV went bankrupt.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2009, 09:27:23 PM »
Damn that's a shame. As much as it would have sucked for Owens to have a bunch of his work done over I think it would have been really interesting to see what Framing Armageddon would sound like with Barlow.