85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314485 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread
« Reply #805 on: September 07, 2011, 11:41:56 PM »
WTF why does Jon always do this. Okay, going to be a sport and listen anyway. Starting now.

John Schaffer is the George Lucas of music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: September 07, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »
I listened to it one more time, and this time I decided that, indeed, the song is ruined.

WTF why does Jon always do this. Okay, going to be a sport and listen anyway. Starting now.

John Schaffer is the George Lucas of music.

Indeed.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #807 on: September 08, 2011, 04:13:56 AM »
That's not entirely accurate. When Jon remakes his stuff, he usually takes shit out that doesn't need to be taken out, whereas when Lucas remakes his shit, he keeps adding random stuff that doesn't need to be there.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: September 08, 2011, 05:16:06 AM »
Both actions are equally stupid.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: September 08, 2011, 05:47:51 AM »
Downloading Dante now, eager to hear it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #810 on: September 08, 2011, 06:06:43 AM »
Not a bad remake.  Stu does an admirable job.  The exclusion of the choirs is criminal.  Also the lead guitar pisses me off, man this guy is easily the worst guitarist they've ever had.  He could have at least tried to replicate some of the solo, but I guess Larry's lines were too difficult.  Nothing will beat the AIA version, but this is decent.

Online Adami

« Reply #811 on: September 08, 2011, 06:13:57 AM »
Not a bad remake.  Stu does an admirable job.  The exclusion of the choirs is criminal.  Also the lead guitar pisses me off, man this guy is easily the worst guitarist they've ever had.  He could have at least tried to replicate some of the solo, but I guess Larry's lines were too difficult.  Nothing will beat the AIA version, but this is decent.

Randal's.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #812 on: September 08, 2011, 06:16:36 AM »

Randal's.

Fuck, of course.  I have the AIA version on the brain too much. Still even Larry did a fucking good job live on this, Troy is gonna butcher the fuck out of this live.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #813 on: September 08, 2011, 08:42:45 AM »
A remake of Dante's Inferno? Oh damn. Downloading now....

(edit): Oh my god, that guitar solo was TERRIBLE. This is what happens when you have Jon Schaffer thinking he can play everything but the solos-the lead guitarist just drops in a solo and has absolutely no feel for the song. Stu's doing okay, but he needs to do more of the insane screaming stuff like when the song gets heavy, not trying to sound like Barlow.

(edit again): Okay, I like it better than I did the remake of the Something Wicked trilogy-which isn't saying much since I didn't like that at all-but it's not a patch on the original at all. I don't understand why Schaffer would take a singer with the range of Stu Block and spend so much time trying to make him sound like Matt Barlow so often. The drums sound just too clicky and the lead guitar is horrible. I'd say if I was gonna grade it, it's a C+. Ugh. Losing faith the new CD will be any good...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:59:46 AM by Jaq »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #814 on: September 08, 2011, 09:49:37 AM »
And what sucks the most is that Troy is a good friend of Jon's so he's probably not going anywhere for a while.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #815 on: September 08, 2011, 10:13:38 AM »
Stu's doing okay, but he needs to do more of the insane screaming stuff like when the song gets heavy, not trying to sound like Barlow.

Prepare to hate the new album then, since that's mostly what it is. He does a fine job, but it's obvious Jon just coached him to sound exactly like Barlow, who I realized that Jon coached to in turn sound like...himself! Ever notice how identical they sounded? I've realized that That's all Jon wants: for everyone to sound and play like him :P

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #816 on: September 08, 2011, 10:50:06 AM »
I can live with it if the SONGS are good, I just don't understand why you'd take a singer with virtually unlimited range like Stu Block and force him to sound like someone else. I'll still give the new CD a chance, though. I've stuck with Iced Earth this long after all.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #817 on: September 08, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »
Supposedly Stu is responsible for a lot of the lyrics and melodies, so perhaps he gave Jon "what he wanted to hear" for now to make a good impression and perhaps will expand on things with time.

His chest voice reminds me of Matt Heafy from Trivium; that whole Hetfield meets Chuck Billy thing.

Offline Deadpool

• Formerly CountVoorhees
  • KrotchRaut Rules!
« Reply #818 on: September 08, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »
Damn it Schaffer! Damn it, damn it, damn it. That was really disappointing. The drums sounded like shit, the lead guitar was lacking in awesomeness and sounded jumbled, even Schaffer's chugging riffs sounded lame, and I expected more from Stu. Man... it just had to be my favorite Iced Earth song. I am disappoint.

And around 13:59 it sounds like he says "ass potatas" like "ass potatoes." :|

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #819 on: September 08, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »
That whole section is out of wack.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #820 on: September 08, 2011, 02:26:50 PM »
Stu Block has always been one of my favorite singers, and he did a damn good job on Dante's Inferno. I can't say he topped Barlow, but it's definitely nice to hear someone with a great voice cover a great song.

Bring on the new album, I can't wait.  :metal

I agree with others though, instrumentally the song sounds very poor. Which is the same complaint I had for when they did a re-make of "Something Wicked This Way Comes" on that EP before FA.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: September 08, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »
IMO, I think the Something Wicked Trilogy kills this.  Mainly because Tim did his own thing and the guitar solos from Tim were amazing, unlike the shit that we just heard on Dante.

Online Adami

« Reply #822 on: September 08, 2011, 04:46:49 PM »
It's sad that the worst things about this song are the people who have been playing it for years.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #823 on: September 08, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
Petition to get Jon to fire Troy through E-Mail?

Who's with me?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: September 08, 2011, 07:01:01 PM »

Who's with me?

Where do I sign?

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #825 on: September 08, 2011, 07:43:48 PM »

Who's with me?

:lol

Poor guy. He's so nice, too. His work on the new album is decent, too.
I've just been so dissatisfied with his live performance. I think Jon just gave up looking for a great player and settled on a guy he can get along with. I really liked Larry. I wish he had come back.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #826 on: September 08, 2011, 07:48:44 PM »
I liked Larry too, but Jon said NO GUITAR HEROES BITCH. Also, according to Jon, Randy got burnt out, and that's why he left/got fired, but it's been so long. Jon should give him a call, but only after he has joined another band...

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #827 on: September 08, 2011, 08:05:37 PM »
Right, and recorded an entire new album and is ready to go tour :lol

Everything about Barlow coming back was all wrong. Literally, everyone got fucked. Really selfish and unwise move on Jon's part.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
I still can't believe how Ripper got fucked over like that.

Online Adami

« Reply #829 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:27 PM »

It's the 21st century, a text is the class move. At least he didn't make it a facebook post.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: September 08, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »

It's the 21st century, a text is the class move. At least he didn't make it a facebook post.

He did it by text message?  :lol   I didn't even know that part!!

Online Adami

« Reply #831 on: September 08, 2011, 09:59:15 PM »

He did it by text message?  :lol   I didn't even know that part!!

I might be wrong, it's been a while since I read about it, but if it wasn't a text then it was an e-mail or something similar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: September 08, 2011, 10:10:02 PM »
"I completed the [HEAVEN AND HELL] tour [with ICED EARTH] and was getting ready to work on [ICED EARTH's forthcoming album 'Something Wicked Part II']. I was actually supposed to be in my car and leaving that night [from Tim's home in Ohio] and decided, since I didn't hear from Jon [Schaffer, ICED EARTH mainman], I would wait until the morning to leave to go his house [in Indiana] and work on it. And the time I was supposed to be already gone, I just happened to go on my computer to see if Jon e-mailed me about what time he wants me there tomorrow is when I got the e-mail saying I wasn't in the band. And that was at 5:30. 5:40 — it was like 5:42 or 5:43 — I got my first e-mail from somebody, and then my first call came in at 5:45, saying, 'Man, I just heard.' [Laughs] My oldest daughter said to me, 'Man, what [would have happened] if you weren't home? That would have really sucked.' So the whole thing, really, was not handled in the way that I think it should have been. It's an unfortunate situation and an unfortunate ending.

"I had a nice ending with PRIEST — they made sure that, financially, I was handled for the next while to make sure that I got on my feet. Things were handled right and in a professional way. And I think the worst thing [about getting fired from ICED EARTH] was, [which] bummed me out, it was [two weeks] before Christmas. Now, I agree with the decision — I needed to go. I mean, I've gotta be honest.

Bloody hell!!  :facepalm:

Offline Deadpool

• Formerly CountVoorhees
  • KrotchRaut Rules!
« Reply #833 on: September 08, 2011, 10:21:10 PM »
Holy shit, man lol.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #834 on: September 09, 2011, 01:33:24 AM »
And in addition to Tim, Jon's actions also fucked over Pyramaze when he stole Matt from them right after recording an album (which was superior to that year's Crucible of Man). Luckily, they snagged Urban Breed, who kicks ass, but the band has been a mess since.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #835 on: September 09, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #836 on: September 09, 2011, 10:10:58 AM »
Jon's a loser. A decade ago he was pretty much on the top of the metal world, and one bad decision from him after another guaranteed the Iced Earth got driven into the ground. Granted, fans weren't exactly heartwarming towards Ripper, they would have warmed up to him over time if Jon would have stuck to his guns (something he never does, but always claims he does). Now, 10 years later, Jon's just a perpetual source of face-palming. Compare that to Blind Guardian, a band which has had ups and downs but always stayed true to themselves.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #837 on: September 09, 2011, 10:12:15 AM »
HOW DARE Y- ... Yeah, you're kinda right there...

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: September 11, 2011, 08:45:09 AM »
Is "Something Wicked This Way Comes" generally considered to be this band's best album?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #839 on: September 11, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
Is "Something Wicked This Way Comes" generally considered to be this band's best album?

I'd say best sounding and most accessible, but I think most would say Night Of The Stormrider is their best, including myself.