85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 313559 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"
« Reply #3115 on: September 27, 2022, 10:39:48 PM »
Yeah, Christy is a beast, but I think I prefer Mark Prator. Horror Show probably wouldn't have sounded too different. Maybe just slower kick drums.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3116 on: September 28, 2022, 02:50:44 AM »
I always thought Stu's vocal delivery was a tad odd during his time in IE. I literally never heard of him before that. I picked up Annihilator's Metal re-release with Stu on vocals and was blown away by his range and depth. Same reason why I thought Richard Christy was a crappy drummer, it had nothing to do with the talent and everything to do with how Jon made the talent perform.

I usually liked Stu's vocals in IE, but at times it felt like he was doing an over the top impression (kinda like Jack Black does in Tenacious D, though here the music is serious).  Having just listened to that Annihilator release, I agree overall he is better there and ditches the quirkyness.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #3117 on: September 28, 2022, 07:50:58 AM »
I can't recall much about the show I saw on the Glorious Burden tour with Richard Christy, aside from being completely wowed by Ripper's vocals.  Honestly, I really loved when Jon Dette was playing drums in the band for the Plagues tour in 2014 - he pounded the hell out of the drums and the double kicks were so perfect.

Also, the Burnt Offerings remix is perfect - that is the definitive version of Dante's Inferno, with Alive in Athens right behind it.  I dug the 2011 version, but now I see what you're saying about the drums.  They're all sped up compared to the original.  I won't complain though, because I got to see the band play Dante's in 2012 on the final US show of the Dystopia run, so if it took a re-record to have that experience in seeing them play the song again, I'll take it. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3118 on: September 28, 2022, 09:13:03 AM »
Yeah, Christy is a beast, but I think I prefer Mark Prator. Horror Show probably wouldn't have sounded too different. Maybe just slower kick drums.

I don't remember Prator doing anything as tasty as a song like "Wolf", for example. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3119 on: September 28, 2022, 11:20:58 AM »

I don't remember Prator doing anything as tasty as a song like "Wolf", for example. 

Prator was pretty straight forward, nothing flashy or technical, but the overall sound of the whole band was just perfect to me. Richard Christy is definitely the better drummer though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3120 on: September 28, 2022, 03:52:49 PM »
I always thought Stu's vocal delivery was a tad odd during his time in IE. I literally never heard of him before that. I picked up Annihilator's Metal re-release with Stu on vocals and was blown away by his range and depth. Same reason why I thought Richard Christy was a crappy drummer, it had nothing to do with the talent and everything to do with how Jon made the talent perform.

Wowsers!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3121 on: September 28, 2022, 09:22:31 PM »

Wowsers!

I know, I know. I knew nothing of him before his time in IE. I found his playing mostly boring in the band. Then he put out the first Charred Walls album and he blew my mind. Since then I have gotten into Death and Control Denied so I have realized my error and repented.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3122 on: September 29, 2022, 04:11:33 AM »

Wowsers!

I know, I know. I knew nothing of him before his time in IE. I found his playing mostly boring in the band. Then he put out the first Charred Walls album and he blew my mind. Since then I have gotten into Death and Control Denied so I have realized my error and repented.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3123 on: October 02, 2022, 11:43:49 AM »
Speaking of 'Tastes Like Treason', Jon is hiding from the government now. Such a shame.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/district-of-columbia-attorneys-struggling-to-find-iced-earth-guitarist-jon-schaffer
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3124 on: October 02, 2022, 11:51:15 AM »
Maybe Matt Barlow can lure him out somehow......?  :lol

Geez, the albums will remain and the enjoyment I had, or will have, in listening to them will remain intact, but what a way to ruin a legacy and effectively kill a band.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3125 on: October 02, 2022, 03:12:45 PM »
I feel bad for Barlow. As a police officer, this whole thing casts a shadow on him, his career, and his entire extended family.

Jon acted like an idiot, and still is. I would have thought after accepting the plea deal that he'd cooperate. Guess he's decided to try and go off the grid and be a fugitive. Have fun with that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3126 on: October 02, 2022, 03:58:39 PM »
I feel bad for Barlow. As a police officer, this whole thing casts a shadow on him, his career, and his entire extended family.

Jon acted like an idiot, and still is. I would have thought after accepting the plea deal that he'd cooperate. Guess he's decided to try and go off the grid and be a fugitive. Have fun with that.

Earlier this year, the District Of Columbia asked federal law enforcement officials involved in an ongoing criminal case against Schaffer for "any information the Department of Justice is willing to share as to Schaffer's present location" but had not received help from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Among the addresses where the process server had attempts on record to locate Schaffer were three residences in the Columbus, Indiana area; a house near Orlando, Florida where Schaffer's mother lives; an address in Georgetown, Delaware; an apartment in Crystal City, Florida; and a gated mobile home community in Auburndale, Florida. At the Auburndale location, a process server noticed the name "J. Schaffer" written on a callbox and a Jeep and Dodge Charger with Indiana license plates parked outside the mobile home. However, nobody answered the door when she knocked.

"The District now believes that Schaffer is hiding from process servers in a mobile home in Auburndale, Florida," according to court filings. "Since locating that address, the District has attempted service there at least five times, yet Schaffer refuses to answer the door — thereby preventing effective service absent further relief from the court."

:lol :lol :lol I guess this is considered off the grid...
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3127 on: October 02, 2022, 05:12:25 PM »
I figured he was hiding from the crazy assholes he associated with.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3128 on: October 03, 2022, 03:38:38 AM »
From living in abandoned cars and houses in his youth because he was broke and he had nothing but his hunger for heavy metal, to living in mobile houses to evade the government. Talk about going full circle....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #3129 on: October 03, 2022, 05:10:12 AM »
Every time I think about it I get mad. I think I have a fair tolerance for people with (wildly) differing perspectives in life. But I think people like Shaffer and the movements are incredibly dangerous if you let them fester. Plenty of horrid examples throughout history. The fact that they made or wanted to make a deal with him tells he was in and not a dumbass protestor bystander caught up in the moment. I personally just can't listen to IE with any joy at this point in time. Sorry if this ventures too much into PR, but this stuff makes me both angry and sad.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3130 on: October 03, 2022, 05:31:34 AM »
Well, I can still listen to Iced Earth, the problem is that, with all the music that is out there and the natural cycles of interest for this or that band / subgenre (you can't listen to everything all the time), I'm currently in a down phase with Iced Earth.

And with no new album in sight and no concert to sparkle back the interest, not even a Demons and Wizards tour for obvious reasons, I can't see that interest coming back anytime soon.

Maybe in a month I'll eat my words, maybe something will happen that will remind me of Horror Show or Something Wicked and I will go "damn, it's been a while since I listened to IE" and go on a full dive again, but as of now, Iced Earth is very low on my list of musical priorities and as I said, I'm afraid nothing will happen in the foreseeable future that will change that.

On the musical side of things, while I don't think Jon "owed" us fans anything, I'd really like to know if he regrets killing his carrer over something stupid like this. Ok, he has a right to have opinions, to fight for what he believes is right, but come on Jon, FFS, you had a nice thing going on, a musical carreer countless musicians only dream of, you had  your crowd and your space in the metal scene and even if you weren't the next Iron Maiden you were far from being a nostalgia act that only 100 diehards show up for at gigs.... was it really worth it to throw it all away like that?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3131 on: October 03, 2022, 08:38:06 AM »
Every time I think about it I get mad. I think I have a fair tolerance for people with (wildly) differing perspectives in life. But I think people like Shaffer and the movements are incredibly dangerous if you let them fester. Plenty of horrid examples throughout history. The fact that they made or wanted to make a deal with him tells he was in and not a dumbass protestor bystander caught up in the moment. I personally just can't listen to IE with any joy at this point in time. Sorry if this ventures too much into PR, but this stuff makes me both angry and sad.

After January 6th, I didn't listen to any of Jon's music for 10 months and couldn't even wear my t-shirts.  It just felt "icky."  After some time passed, I learned that I could enjoy the music again.  What bothers me is that my favorite band is all but done and over.  We'll get some occasional releases like the Bang Your Head live set, but I don't see Jon taking the time to write and release new music.  A relative of his in the Podcast in Stone group said that he "lost everything."  I would imagine he had to sell a lot of his stuff, plus his income could certainly be garnished by the government. 

We went from having a kickass band that I watched grow for 20 years, to having no band and no activity for a good period of time.  I don't know if he'll ever write music again after this.  That's what bums me out the most. 

As to this new headline, it's just sad. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3132 on: October 03, 2022, 08:57:03 AM »

Earlier this year, the District Of Columbia asked federal law enforcement officials involved in an ongoing criminal case against Schaffer for "any information the Department of Justice is willing to share as to Schaffer's present location" but had not received help from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

Among the addresses where the process server had attempts on record to locate Schaffer were three residences in the Columbus, Indiana area; a house near Orlando, Florida where Schaffer's mother lives; an address in Georgetown, Delaware; an apartment in Crystal City, Florida; and a gated mobile home community in Auburndale, Florida. At the Auburndale location, a process server noticed the name "J. Schaffer" written on a callbox and a Jeep and Dodge Charger with Indiana license plates parked outside the mobile home. However, nobody answered the door when she knocked.

"The District now believes that Schaffer is hiding from process servers in a mobile home in Auburndale, Florida," according to court filings. "Since locating that address, the District has attempted service there at least five times, yet Schaffer refuses to answer the door — thereby preventing effective service absent further relief from the court."

Not sure if you're poking fun at me for using the term, or Jon. But if it's me, whatever man. Going from a musician in a nice house with a good living to a dude living in a trailer trying to stay away from anyone is the most "off the grid" you can get other than completely roughing it in the woods. And it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up that way if he doesn't want to get caught.

What bothers me is that my favorite band is all but done and over.

Mine has been effectively done since 1997 with a few glimpses since then. it sucks, but you get used to it.

I still listen to Iced Earth. It took several months, but I've had on Horror Show a couple of times, and likely will again on Halloween. So all that great music will still live on. Jon running from being served...again, skirting his responsibilities. Sucks. What he should have done was admit his guilt fully, and be punished accordingly. With those crazy groups he was allegedly part of...now he's probably running from them AND the feds. Not a life I'd want to live.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3133 on: October 03, 2022, 08:57:08 AM »
Worst part is he finally found an amazing lead guitarist, and we may never get The Relic part 2.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3134 on: October 03, 2022, 12:26:17 PM »
Worst part is he finally found an amazing lead guitarist

I really like Tim Mills' parts on the Overture of the Wicked EP.  Definitely my favorite lead player they've had.  Shame he couldn't retain him, and my favorite members were never all in the band at once.  Horror Show is the best overall lineup, Tarnowski is the only weak link. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3135 on: October 03, 2022, 12:29:49 PM »
Horror Show, for me, is hands-down the best album IE ever made. Just superb in every sense of the word.  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3136 on: October 03, 2022, 02:31:36 PM »

Not sure if you're poking fun at me for using the term, or Jon. But if it's me, whatever man. Going from a musician in a nice house with a good living to a dude living in a trailer trying to stay away from anyone is the most "off the grid" you can get other than completely roughing it in the woods. And it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up that way if he doesn't want to get caught.

I am laughing at all of it. Especially where the DoC process server can't do anything because no one is answering the door, and also them not receiving any help from the U.S Attorney's Office.

The actual article Blabbermouth linked to is really hilarious to me and reads like some cop comedy. It's also like their playing Mario..."I'm sorry, but Jon Shaffer is in another mobile home."

https://www.therepublic.com/2022/10/02/searching-for-schaffer-attorneys-struggling-to-find-local-man-who-pleaded-guilty-to-storming-u-s-capitol-on-jan-6/

And after all that...this happens...

A federal judge on Friday issued an order to temporarily halt the civil action until the criminal trial against Rhodes, the found of the Oath Keepers, is concluded.

Horror Show, for me, is hands-down the best album IE ever made. Just superb in every sense of the word.  :metal

I enjoy it a lot because it has Steve Di Giorgio on it. I also enjoy that the music style fits the horror theme. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3137 on: October 03, 2022, 02:37:28 PM »
If he is in fact in a trailer in Auburndale, Florida, they might want to bring scuba gear when they come knocking next. Ian might have done their work for them.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3138 on: October 03, 2022, 02:38:48 PM »
I enjoy it a lot because it has Steve Di Giorgio on it. I also enjoy that the music style fits the horror theme.

I remember Steve Di Giorgio commited in full to the band, and was announced as a band member. Then he changed his mind saying he would not be touring, so Schaffer got pissed off, deleted him from the booklet photos, and left him last in the credits with a generic mention he was the bass player.

Then again, maybe Steve was clear with Jon about wanting this to be just a studio collaboration, who knows at this time...

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3139 on: October 03, 2022, 05:32:49 PM »
Worst part is he finally found an amazing lead guitarist

I really like Tim Mills' parts on the Overture of the Wicked EP.  Definitely my favorite lead player they've had.  Shame he couldn't retain him, and my favorite members were never all in the band at once.  Horror Show is the best overall lineup, Tarnowski is the only weak link. 

That's crazy. I didn't like his solos at all, but I also didn't like the rerecordings in general. Jon's palm muting killed them especially. All the intensity was sucked out because of that. I thought Larry was a great lead guitarist.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3140 on: October 03, 2022, 08:08:44 PM »

It's a great album, and the first one that came out after I became a fan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3141 on: October 03, 2022, 08:17:36 PM »
Horror Show was my first album by them. Blew me away.

Not my favorite but damn is it amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3142 on: October 04, 2022, 07:57:02 AM »

Among the addresses where the process server had attempts on record to locate Schaffer were three residences in the Columbus, Indiana area; a house near Orlando, Florida where Schaffer's mother lives; an address in Georgetown, Delaware; an apartment in Crystal City, Florida; and a gated mobile home community in Auburndale, Florida.

Looks like Officer Barlow has been getting some visits.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3143 on: October 04, 2022, 08:16:24 AM »

Among the addresses where the process server had attempts on record to locate Schaffer were three residences in the Columbus, Indiana area; a house near Orlando, Florida where Schaffer's mother lives; an address in Georgetown, Delaware; an apartment in Crystal City, Florida; and a gated mobile home community in Auburndale, Florida.

Looks like Officer Barlow has been getting some visits.

And Mrs. Barlow was not too happy about it, but I think it shows the complicated situation.  Matt has never spoken about Jon's situation, aside to say that he's talked to him and that at the time, Jon was "ok."  They're family though, and I don't think they're going to go out of the way to assist the process servers in finding him.

This is a great article that details the search for Jon's whereabouts. 
https://www.therepublic.com/2022/10/02/searching-for-schaffer-attorneys-struggling-to-find-local-man-who-pleaded-guilty-to-storming-u-s-capitol-on-jan-6/

The search then headed north to Georgetown, Delaware, a town of around 6,400 located about 90 miles east of the U.S. Capitol. On April 28, a process server spoke to a woman at the property who said Schaffer did not live there. When he attempted to question her further, “she slammed the door in his face,” according to court filings. The process server made four additional attempts to locate Schaffer at the Delaware address over roughly the next month, but to no avail.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3144 on: October 04, 2022, 08:22:17 AM »
Schaffer threw his entire life away, and now there's absolutely no hope for recovery.

Such an idiot. And now extended family has to put up with it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3145 on: October 04, 2022, 08:41:37 AM »
Yeah, I serious doubt Matt would be dumb enough to harbor a fugitive. His address probably popped up because they're related. Heather is his sister, right?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #3146 on: June 09, 2023, 06:24:51 AM »
This is pretty cool - ever since Ashes of Ares formed, Matt and Freddie said that they wouldn't cover Iced Earth songs when they would play live.  I guess Jon's situation and Iced Earth's lineup dissolving changed that.  They picked some badass songs to include in the set!

I Am the Night
Our Last Sunrise
The hunter
Gone
The Alien
Last December
Emperors and Fools
The reaping stone
By My Blade
Transcending
Dragon's child
This Is My Hell
Throne of Iniquity
Burning times
Blessed are you
The One-Eyed King

Burning Times:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZo3X37d4u8
The Hunter:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aysD969gUOQ
Blessed Are You:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtHIkaWIVNw

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3147 on: June 09, 2023, 06:46:13 AM »
A few nice deep cuts there.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3148 on: June 09, 2023, 06:50:12 AM »
Troy has got Matt style backing vocals down.

Always awesome to see Matt live.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3149 on: June 09, 2023, 07:53:25 AM »
The Red Fucking Oppressor SLAYS.  :metal