85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310724 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Self Titled 30th Anniversary
« Reply #2905 on: January 11, 2021, 09:07:43 AM »
Why not, go ahead.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2906 on: January 11, 2021, 09:26:00 AM »
Think I'll get around to checking out some more Iced Earth.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2907 on: January 11, 2021, 09:32:55 AM »

TL;DR rundown:
- Debut album nice but VERY raw, with an average singer
- Second album, Night of the Stormrider, kickass thrash album, a new and better singer that suited more the music
- Third album, Burnt Offerings, is where the god Matt Barlow comes in and starts a less aggressive and more power-ish era for the band, with the following Dark Saga, Something Wicked this Way Comes and Horror Show being the "classic" era of the band
- Matt goes, Ripper freshly off Judas Priest comes in for the historical-themed The Glorious Burden
- That "Something Wicked" thing expands in two albums - the first has Ripper and the second has Matt again
- Matt leaves AGAIN and for good, in comes the current singer, Stu Block, who has made three albums: Dystopia, Plagues of Babylon and the last one, Incorruptible. Dystopia is quite good an Incorruptible is quite acceptable I'd say.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2908 on: January 11, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »
Incurruptible

Plagues of Babylon

Dystopia

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2909 on: January 11, 2021, 09:40:41 AM »

This is how I'd do my rating.

Though I suppose Incorruptible (that's the last one, right?) isn't bad.

Also, I wouldn't classify Burnt Offerings as less aggressive, it's a SUPER aggressive album. Though I'd agree it became a bit less aggressive after that, but IE has historically been a pretty aggressive band either way. It's not like they sound like Kamelot or Sonata Arctica or anything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2910 on: January 11, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »
Oh yeah, that goes without question.

It's just that Matt's voice is more melodic, if there was no change of singer between Stormrider and Burnt Offerings, they would sound even more similar.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2911 on: January 11, 2021, 10:59:14 AM »
Robb Flynn made this video after Phil Anselmo yelled "white power" at the end of Dimebash...

Racism in Metal

I think it's relevant. He says how no one in the metal community calls out these guys like him and Schaffer.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #2912 on: January 11, 2021, 11:32:32 AM »

I'd start with Alive in Athens and follow it up with Live in Ancient Kourion.  Both are excellent representations of the Barlow and Block eras. 

From there, here are the albums to check out:

Something Wicked This Way Comes:  Arguably their best album and one of the few that has absolutely no filler.

Dark Saga:  Perhaps my favorite album from IE, this is a concept album based on the comic Spawn (with cover art drawn by Todd McFarlane)

Horror Show:  Another concept album, this one based on monsters (werewolf, Dracula, mummy, etc).  It's a hit & miss album, but when it works, it really works (Dracula, Damien, Jack).

Glorious Burden:  Their first album with Tim Owens, this one revolves around the theme of U.S. wars.  As with Horror show, there is plenty of filer, but enough works to make this one worth listening.  In particular, check out Declaration Day and Gettysburg (1863), the latter of which is a nearly 30 minute epic.

Dystopia:  Their first album with Stu Block, this one marks a return to form after its mediocre predecessors. 

Incorruptable:  Their latest (and possibly last) album, this is the first one since Something Wicked that doesn't have a main theme, and the freedom makes for some very good songs.  While it does have a few filler songs (Brothers), it also has some awesome tracks (Black Flag, Raven Wing, Clear the Way) and is a fine album to go out on if it does turn out to be the swan song of this band.

BTW, if you like Iced Earth, you absolutely must check out Demons and Wizards, the side project of Jon Shaffer, with Blind Guardian singer Hani Kursch.  The S/T debut album is arguably one of the best albums of 2000, if not the entire decade, it is that good. 

In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #2913 on: January 11, 2021, 11:48:22 AM »
Thanks for the info. My brother loaned me his copy of the glorious burden years ago. I really like it but for whatever reason I didn't bother to hear more.

This whole insurgency thing seems to be a cause for renewed interest.

I feel like I should state that I only ever checked out as I lay dying after the hitman fiasco.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2914 on: January 17, 2021, 05:36:15 PM »
Jon turned himself in today.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2916 on: January 17, 2021, 07:16:05 PM »
The FBI Indianapolis Field Office released the following statement regarding Schaffer's arrest: "Jon Schaffer, Columbus, IN, has been arrested in connection to Jan 6 incident at the U.S. Capitol. Schaffer faces 6 charges including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building. Schaffer was allegedly among rioters who sprayed Capitol police with 'bear spray.'"

1) Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority

2) Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business

3) Knowingly Engaging in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds

4) Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building

5) Engaging in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building

6) Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in a Capitol Building

I just saw a video where Jon is visible in a group where mace was being used, though it is unclear what was happening.  I wouldn't doubt that the FBI has more on him than the one picture we've seen. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2918 on: January 17, 2021, 07:40:04 PM »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2919 on: January 17, 2021, 07:43:25 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2920 on: January 17, 2021, 08:00:05 PM »
 :lol

Please tell me you did that yourself Tim?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2921 on: January 17, 2021, 08:08:43 PM »
 :lol

Google Images ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2922 on: January 17, 2021, 08:38:42 PM »
Ah!  It's so shit that it's fucking amazing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2923 on: January 17, 2021, 08:46:55 PM »
That evolution of Petrucci pic is ancient. Are you guys just now seeing it? Someone here drew it and even got it signed.

Back to Schaffer, I can't help but think it isn't long before he starts believing his Something Wicked story.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2924 on: January 17, 2021, 09:00:29 PM »
That evolution of Petrucci pic is ancient. Are you guys just now seeing it? Someone here drew it and even got it signed.

:lol that's brilliant.  Yeah I don't think I've ever seen it before.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2925 on: January 17, 2021, 09:03:40 PM »
https://bravewords.com/news/iced-earth-jon-schaffer-arrested-by-fbi-for-role-in-capitol-riot-facing-six-charges

Fucking bear spray??

Is it sad that when I read the be.. spray, my mind immediately thought beer spray and that when I searched for the word beer in the article and came up short, I was thinking, "Wait, where's the beer in all of this?"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2926 on: January 17, 2021, 09:05:00 PM »
On the bright side, maybe Stu will go back to Into Eternity.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2927 on: January 18, 2021, 01:06:42 AM »
So he turned himself in? I imagined him running from the law and living in abandoned houses / cars like in his glory youth days, the last one standing after all the other insurrectionists were already arrested  :lol

Joking aside, is this the official nail in the coffin for IE's carrer or the label will wait for sentences to drop him and the other guys having no choice that distancing themselves from him?

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2928 on: January 18, 2021, 04:42:14 AM »
Maybe he wants to get a shot at getting a pardon from his leader, Trump?

Also, that Petrucci drawing is hilarious  :lol
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:47:23 AM by ErHaO »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2929 on: January 18, 2021, 05:48:48 AM »

Considering the murmurs that Trump's planning on signing around a hundred pardons and commutes on Tuesday, I wouldn't be surprised if folks who participated in the riot are hoping one of those is some sort of blanket pardon for anyone involved.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2930 on: January 18, 2021, 06:26:06 AM »

Considering the murmurs that Trump's planning on signing around a hundred pardons and commutes on Tuesday, I wouldn't be surprised if folks who participated in the riot are hoping one of those is some sort of blanket pardon for anyone involved.
Whether he's planning to do it or not, the fact that it's even possible and (as far as I understand it?) requires no checks or balances is ridiculous and makes a mockery of the USA's law and politics. But that's probably more a conversation for the P/R threads.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Schaffer, and then whatever happens to him, what then happens to Iced Earth.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2931 on: January 18, 2021, 06:34:44 AM »
Until Schaffer is either convicted or set free, I think the label won't do anything. If he gets a sentence, I can totally see Century Media dropping Iced Earth and the other guys having no other option than walk away, effectively dissolving the band.

Burzum actually killed a person and was still making albums, even though for a much restricted and selected market. Who will collaborate with Jon on the "next Iced Earth album" if the band is gone? would he still continue to write music but for Sons of Liberty instead?

Online Grappler

« Reply #2932 on: January 18, 2021, 06:39:40 AM »
FBI's charging document against Jon.   They detail his affiliation with the Oathkeepers, his statements made in video interviews and his activities that day.  So far, he appears to be the only person charged with "an act of physical violence."  Most people have a few charges, yet he faces up to 6.   It's not looking good for him, for now at least.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1356006/download?fbclid=IwAR1m64Sled7UAojdJIzXsg-2DGGi8bdfFsHIFqC5XzbzeE81ztz3_7gc1oI

:eek

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2933 on: January 18, 2021, 06:47:22 AM »
"SCHAFFER is a person of some celebrity in the heavy metal music industry, and was identified by numerous individuals
when his photograph was published by the FBI seeking identification of individuals who
participated in the events of January 6, 2021"

"Person of some celebrity", like "yeah, he plays in a band or whatever, it seems people go to their concerts"  :lol

I mean, it's factually correct, he is a celebrity and he's not Bono or Springsteen, but it's funny to see his carrer described in such a casual way  :D

EDIT: also later:

"SCHAFFER, who is the front man of the heavy metal band “Iced Earth...”  "

Stu Block:  https://www.samaa.tv/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Sarim-Akhtar.jpg

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #2934 on: January 18, 2021, 06:57:53 AM »

Whether he's planning to do it or not, the fact that it's even possible and (as far as I understand it?) requires no checks or balances is ridiculous and makes a mockery of the USA's law and politics. But that's probably more a conversation for the P/R threads.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Schaffer, and then whatever happens to him, what then happens to Iced Earth.

IMO, if Trump pardons any of the rioters, he only increases his odds of a conviction in the Senate, and possible even criminal charges from the Biden administration.  Granted, the act of pardon itself may not be a criminal act, but there will be the perception of Trump's culpability in the riot itself, along with increasing anger within the administration and the Senate. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2935 on: January 18, 2021, 07:21:38 AM »
At the risk of pointing this thread towards P/R territory; if Trump has any good advisors left, they're probably going to withhold him from doing such a thing, for the exact reasons you mentioned.

And yeah, the whole idea of 'presidential pardons' is absolutely ridiculous (but if I'm wrong, please do enlighten me, though probably in a P/R thread).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2936 on: January 18, 2021, 07:55:09 AM »
I'm not a mod, and I can't move posts, but I'll start a thread if you'd like.   This is going to be a topic of convo as the pardons flow, but I can already see a lot of misleading information.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2937 on: January 18, 2021, 08:10:15 AM »
At the risk of pointing this thread towards P/R territory; if Trump has any good advisors left, they're probably going to withhold him from doing such a thing, for the exact reasons you mentioned.

And yeah, the whole idea of 'presidential pardons' is absolutely ridiculous (but if I'm wrong, please do enlighten me, though probably in a P/R thread).

The idea of pardons sort of started back when people thought the position of president would be relatively non-partisan. Washington was the only president ever elected unanimously and that did not belong to a political party (although he aligned himself with the Federalists for the most part). So this pardon power kind of stems from the idea that the president could stay about the fray and pardon those who may have gotten a raw deal.

So yeah, pardon power is pretty outdated.

On a side note, I started listening to some Iced Earth to see if I could even still enjoy it. Surprisingly I did with the exception of the Something Wicked albums.

I was so underwhelmed by those albums and the rotating lineup and Jon's blowhard views at the time that I basically stopped caring. My opinion stands. Those albums are just boring.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2938 on: January 18, 2021, 08:19:35 AM »
Yeah, that was meant to be his magnum opus but he fell flat on those. Even Matt Barlow from the beginning couldn't save those albums.

Framing Armageddon is quite cool all things considered, it's a standard IE album with some fat to be trimmed here and there. Crucible of Man is plain boring, it drags on and on and the best song, Come What May, is a total wimping out storyline wise. You promise for years the destruction of mankind and the antichrist incarnated at the end says "Uh well, I guess I'll give you another chance but behave, m'kay?". D'uh.

Online Grappler

« Reply #2939 on: January 18, 2021, 08:31:32 AM »
Jon admitted that he lost 3 members of his family during the Framing/Crucible years and that his heart wasn't in those albums.  Looking back on them and knowing that explains why the songwriting isn't up to his usual standards.