85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314029 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Self Titled 30th Anniversary
« Reply #2800 on: January 07, 2021, 09:36:22 AM »
Yeah, this one is rough. I always knew Jon was Ted Nugent loony, but never thought he would take it this far. That OathKeepers hat does not help his cause either.

I've never let a musicians douchey-ness or craziness impact my enjoyment of their music, but this is another level. I texted 2 of my buddies who have both been to IE shows with me and they were righteously pissed. I think this pushed them both over the edge with him.

Need to give this one some time to fully set in, but Jon really screwed the pooch. I am seeing him taking a beating in many comment sections from the metal community. This could be a major detriment to his career. You reap what you sow.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2801 on: January 07, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »
Jon's own words from last november:
"They will go down. They're messing with the wrong people, believe me," Schaffer was quoted as saying by Die Welt, referring to the American political establishment.
(Blabbermouth)
That very much sounds like a threat to me. Combined with him actually breaching the capitol? Yeah... I will spend my money on other bands.

Another outtake from the Blabbermouth article which quotes a recent Facebook Live chat:
"I think part of it is the currency system and the way they just print money out of thin air, and it's not backed by anything, it's allowed people to have this illusion of wealth, which tends to keep people soft. But at the end of the day, it's all debt based, so that's another form of slavery. And if you're living in that kind of system, it's a way to keep people calm, because they think everything is okay. It's not okay. It hasn't been okay for a very long time. It's just now you're starting to see everything come to a head.

Not to turn this into a P/R thread, but for context, much of this is like quoting and interpreting the banking segment of the Four Horsemen documentary, which I find great as well. Like cram said, in the end it's actions vs. words. He calls the congress "fucking criminals" yet stoops down to their level.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2802 on: January 07, 2021, 09:48:05 AM »
Not to turn this into a P/R thread, but for context, much of this is like quoting and interpreting the banking segment of the Four Horsemen documentary, which I find great as well. Like cram said, in the end it's actions vs. words. He calls the congress "fucking criminals" yet stoops down to their level.

Jon's beliefs revolve around the Federal Reserve Bank and a conspiracy that the "Fed" controls the government.  I haven't put too much thought or research into it.  He claims to have been "awakened" into this line of thinking back in 2008 or so, right around the time of the US financial crisis.  He wrote the Sons of Liberty album and gave it away for free at the time, spreading his message and thoughts about tyrannical governments.

Ultimately, he was looking for a reason to be part of a revolution against the government.  His opinion on the pandemic response/government shutdowns likely drove his need to be a part of this, just raging against authority that's holding him back from touring and recording. 

Offline Art

« Reply #2803 on: January 07, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »
Not surprising coming from Jon. He has said lots of stupid things through the years, especially lately being an anti-masker and pandemic negationist. But as you guys said, now he stepped out of talking and went into action. He commited a crime, even.

As lots of people said here, i usually can separate art and artist, but this may be too much for me.

Today a friend i had from high school who stayed in touch with me (mostly through social media) because he is also a metal head texted me saying something like "Jon Schaffer invaded the Capitol, this is awesome!" or something like that...i could not even respond to it, i just blocked him.

Crazy fucking times....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2805 on: January 07, 2021, 12:28:31 PM »
"I've never been prouder to Know Jon S.keep him in your prayers hes a true patriot and Son of liberty." - John Greely

I've been a fan of Iced Earth for 17 years. The music Jon and co. wrote is very special to me. While I'm incredibly disappointed, I'm also not surprised, but then I am surprised because holy shit, Schaffer is front and center at this crazy ass protest breaking the fucking law. I knew he was cookoo for cocoa puffs, but this is beyond insane. I think he's truly brainwashed by all the conspiracy nuts he surrounds himself with. Our government sucks, but this isn't the way. And for some reason, even with all his anti mask, anti vaccine rhetoric, for some reason I had it in my head that he wasn't a Trump supporter.

Maybe I'll take a break from Iced Earth for a while. Jon may be stupid, and crazy, and a criminal, but he hasnt killed anyone nor has he molested any kids, and even if he did, I honestly don't know what I would do, besides probably cry. He's a musical hero of mine. His music changed my life. It sucks that he has gone so far off the deep end with this bullshit that he may have ruined the rest of his life.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2806 on: January 07, 2021, 12:43:05 PM »
Yeah, at the moment it all feel surreal, I'm not grasping yet that there's a storng and concrete possiblity that he might agtually get arrested and incarcerated for many years.

I missed the last two tours because the concerts happened relatively far from me, so the last time I saw Iced Earth was for the Dystopia tour, had a lot of fun... and the 2002 show, the Horror Show one that was a 3 hours concert in three sets, will forever remain one of the best concerts I've ever seen. There was a time when Iced Earth was one of my absolutely favorite bands, and I thoiught Incorruptible was quite good.

If he really goes to jail for a long time, it's absolutely sad, so many musicians are dying because of bad health or sheer bad luck (Jeff Hanneman and the spider, Steve Gottard and the bike incident), he's alive and kicking and ends his carrer because....... conspiracy theories? meh. What a way to let it all go to waste.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2807 on: January 07, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »
"I've never been prouder to Know Jon S.keep him in your prayers hes a true patriot and Son of liberty." - John Greely

I've been a fan of Iced Earth for 17 years. The music Jon and co. wrote is very special to me. While I'm incredibly disappointed, I'm also not surprised, but then I am surprised because holy shit, Schaffer is front and center at this crazy ass protest breaking the fucking law. I knew he was cookoo for cocoa puffs, but this is beyond insane. I think he's truly brainwashed by all the conspiracy nuts he surrounds himself with. Our government sucks, but this isn't the way. And for some reason, even with all his anti mask, anti vaccine rhetoric, for some reason I had it in my head that he wasn't a Trump supporter.

Maybe I'll take a break from Iced Earth for a while. Jon may be stupid, and crazy, and a criminal, but he hasnt killed anyone nor has he molested any kids, and even if he did, I honestly don't know what I would do, besides probably cry. He's a musical hero of mine. His music changed my life. It sucks that he has gone so far off the deep end with this bullshit that he may have ruined the rest of his life.

How did it change your life if you dont mind me asking?

Also wasn't Greely fired in part because he was anti-Semitic and continued to make shitty comments even after they went to some concentration camps while on tour to teach him why he was an asshole?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2808 on: January 07, 2021, 01:06:40 PM »

How did it change your life if you dont mind me asking?

Also wasn't Greely fired in part because he was anti-Semitic and continued to make shitty comments even after they went to some concentration camps while on tour to teach him why he was an asshole?

Iced Earth changed my life or had a huge impact on me the same way Dream Theater did or even Disturbed. Their music was special to me, and opened the door to so many more amazing bands. I'm not a musician or anything, but Iced Earth's music has helped me through hard times, just as much as any of my other favorite bands. I consider Iced Earth a very important part of my life.

I never really called myself a metalhead even though I liked Metallica and Megadeth. They were popular radio bands. It wasn't until Chris Jericho was promoting his second album with Fozzy that I was exposed to other 80s metal. I discovered Iron Maiden around the same time as Iced Earth, both of which I heard at a local comic store.

That was one of the stories that's been going around. I think the other one was he stole money or something. They've since patched it up. Jon and Ripper are even cool now... Well, I don't know about now. Then again, Ripper might be like Stu.

I wonder if Matt will share his feelings on the matter.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2809 on: January 07, 2021, 01:09:03 PM »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2810 on: January 07, 2021, 01:13:10 PM »
He's not a flat earther too is he?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2811 on: January 07, 2021, 01:15:21 PM »
He's not a flat earther too is he?

I don't know for sure, but it's within the realm of possibility. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #2812 on: January 07, 2021, 01:18:21 PM »

Schaffer should be judged on his actions, not on his words.
He obviously crossed a border yesterday but isn't the music business full of people that have been involved in and/or convicted for violence, drugs related issues and all sort of crimes. A conservative political opinion seems to a rare phenomenon in the progressive entertainment business which obviously affects the way people are judging.

As a European I may have a different view of what's happening right now in your country but from the outside it feels like there's some different judgement based on the political side someone is supporting.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2813 on: January 07, 2021, 01:25:53 PM »
I don't think Jon is a Trump supporter.  He loves the American Revolution, 1776, and the idea of citizens standing up to tyrannical governments. 

I think he was itching to take on the government due to pandemic response and economic shutdowns, so he got wrapped up in this idiocy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2814 on: January 07, 2021, 01:27:36 PM »

He obviously crossed a border yesterday but isn't the music business full of people that have been involved in and/or convicted for violence, drugs related issues and all sort of crimes. A conservative political opinion seems to a rare phenomenon in the progressive entertainment business which obviously affects the way people are judging.

As a European I may have a different view of what's happening right now in your country but from the outside it feels like there's some different judgement based on the political side someone is supporting.

I don't care of his or anyone's political leanings. I don't think it's about that.  It's about treason.  Trying to stop or delay an election. It's really way beyond political ideals.  Now, if we are comparing to other felonies, sure, I guess I'd say a murderer is worse, but lots of other crimes are things of stupidity that might not define a person.  I've got a disorderly conduct charge for example.  I don't think anyone thinks differently of my character because I did something stupid that was of no harm to anyone.  But you try to stop a country from certifying it's presidential election?  That's pretty damn radical and illegal.  Not only that, it's all over world news.  It's pretty big and important, more so than your typical metalhead arrest.  And it's not really a case of he said she said either.

Offline Art

« Reply #2815 on: January 07, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
I don't think Jon is a Trump supporter.  He loves the American Revolution, 1776, and the idea of citizens standing up to tyrannical governments. 

I think he was itching to take on the government due to pandemic response and economic shutdowns, so he got wrapped up in this idiocy.

1 - I am not an American, so i might be off.

2 - were they not "protesting" the election results because Trump lost? Seems like something a Trump supporter would do.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2816 on: January 07, 2021, 01:56:19 PM »
They were.  Its just my gut and knowing Jon's beliefs a little.  Hes generally anti-government and is a Liberatarian.  He was wearing. Trump shirt though.  I just feel like he wanted to take on the government, regardless of the election. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: January 07, 2021, 02:02:42 PM »
They were.  Its just my gut and knowing Jon's beliefs a little.  Hes generally anti-government and is a Liberatarian.  He was wearing. Trump shirt though.  I just feel like he wanted to take on the government, regardless of the election.

You might be right.  I dont know his beliefs well enough besides what I've read today and last night.  Apparantly he has stated he is not a pro-trump, but also has been going to Trump rallies so I'm not sure what he believes.  I can say, as someone who aligns more with libertarian values, that I don't believe what he did yesterday aligns with those values.  I think he's just gone off the deep end from what I can tell.  Too deep in conspiracy theories and we know Trump loves that too.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2818 on: January 07, 2021, 03:30:56 PM »

I don't think it is fair to paint this as a partisan issue. The republicans had to evacuate just like the democrats.

This is not at all the same as some guy posting love letters about Trump or something and getting flak on twitter, this was a serious breach of national security.

Not US either, but a shit action remains a shit action, ocean between it or not. For me at least.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2819 on: January 07, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »
If he wanted to take on the government, then why did he attack Congress? Congress is not the government.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2820 on: January 07, 2021, 03:58:27 PM »

You know, I found myself thinking about this earlier.

For a long time, the line I drew fell on the side of 'talking is one thing, but a 'crime' against another human being is where I draw the line'...a la Lost Prophets, Tim Lambesis, etc.

As far as I know, Jon just walked around a building yesterday, so, in a way, you're right...he didn't kill anyone or molest anyone. BUT, people did die yesterday...it was a needless, silly thing, and as a person with a huge mouthpiece, his being there didn't help.

Ughhhh...such a complicated issue, but in my heart, it's pretty cut and dry. Sorry Jon, been a fan since '96, but I am a fan no longer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2821 on: January 07, 2021, 04:04:40 PM »
 ;D Never heard of them. No intention of correcting that.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2822 on: January 07, 2021, 04:07:26 PM »
;D Never heard of them. No intention of correcting that.

They used to be one of the best trash metal bands in the world. If you like good thrash metal, I’d check out their 2nd-8th albums. Plus their first live album is among the best live metal albums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2823 on: January 07, 2021, 04:09:11 PM »
Iced Earth : Thrash

John Schaffer : Trash

;D ;D

Offline Adami

« Reply #2824 on: January 07, 2021, 04:11:30 PM »

;D ;D

Can’t disagree. Still some amazing music.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2825 on: January 07, 2021, 04:15:36 PM »
Plus their first live album is among the best live metal albums.

Alive In Athens is the Frampton Comes Alive of metal. You really don't need anything else by them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2826 on: January 07, 2021, 04:26:22 PM »

Alive In Athens is the Frampton Comes Alive of metal. You really don't need anything else by them.

That's not true. They have many excellent songs post-AiA.

Also, there's no way Kowtow has never heard of this band. Maybe never heard them, but he must have seen the name several times while browsing this forum over the years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2827 on: January 07, 2021, 04:28:39 PM »

That's fair. I was thinking of their previous albums.

I love the Gettysburg Trilogy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2828 on: January 07, 2021, 04:31:54 PM »

That's fair. I was thinking of their previous albums.

I love the Gettysburg Trilogy.

Yeah, AiA is an almost perfect best of album. I would have added a few more songs though.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2829 on: January 07, 2021, 04:32:23 PM »

;D ;D

He's playing on your typo. You called IE a trash band by accident.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Adami

« Reply #2830 on: January 07, 2021, 04:34:12 PM »

;D ;D

He's playing on your typo. You called IE a trash band by accident.

Whatever works. Not the most rare typo to make. Especially on a phone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2831 on: January 07, 2021, 04:34:37 PM »
They were a trash band in 2011.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2832 on: January 07, 2021, 04:38:21 PM »

Trash band from Stu joining.

I actually hope this causes Stu to quit and find a band he can really be amazing in. The best he’s been in Iced Earths is fine. But the man is capable of greatness.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2833 on: January 07, 2021, 04:46:10 PM »

Trash band from Stu joining.

I actually hope this causes Stu to quit and find a band he can really be amazing in. The best he’s been in Iced Earths is fine. But the man is capable of greatness.

I pretty much agree. He sounds pretty good most of the time in studio, but live he's god awful. I see this being it for Iced Earth. Jon was semi retired anyway, so this seals the deal. Sucks that he finally found an amazing lead player and we likely will never hear what he can really do in IE. Jon desperately needed a co songwriter like Randy.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2834 on: January 07, 2021, 04:58:52 PM »

That's actually why some of them are there. Those people saw Trump as that person, and held a belief in that.

Belief is a son of a bitch, isn't it?....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD