85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 314120 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

So during the recent Facebook chat, Jon talked a bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense, his book, and the 30th Anniversary of the debut and it getting another remix, this time by Zeuss. There's also a surprise coming in a few weeks.

My favorite guitarist is a tinfoil hat wearing nut job, and I'm worried for his safety.

Also, Iced Earth is on hold because all the members are from different countries.

He was interviewed by MetalSucks.com and kept bringing up conspiracies and when he was very passively challenged on it got very indignant and said he thought he was going to interviewed about his book. He then blathered on and when challenged again, very passively i might add, got agitated and said he didn't want to talk about it. He then brought up more conspiracies and...well, you see where this is going.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
So during the recent Facebook chat, Jon talked a bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense, his book, and the 30th Anniversary of the debut and it getting another remix, this time by Zeuss. There's also a surprise coming in a few weeks.

My favorite guitarist is a tinfoil hat wearing nut job, and I'm worried for his safety.

Also, Iced Earth is on hold because all the members are from different countries.

He was interviewed by MetalSucks.com and kept bringing up conspiracies and when he was very passively challenged on it got very indignant and said he thought he was going to interviewed about his book. He then blathered on and when challenged again, very passively i might add, got agitated and said he didn't want to talk about it. He then brought up more conspiracies and...well, you see where this is going.

I listened to that same interview. It was the host that kept baiting him. Jon is very passionate, so when the host starts bringing up the COVID conspiracies, of course Jon is gonna start ranting. He stopped himself several times because he was there to promote his book. The host was kind of a douche, and wasn't all that interested in the book.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It's hard to support Iced Earth, honestly.

The first Iced Earth album I bought was Horrorshow, and it came with a companion interview disc. I remember thinking, this guy is a total asshole.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

The first Iced Earth album I bought was Horrorshow, and it came with a companion interview disc. I remember thinking, this guy is a total asshole.

Honestly, he kinda was for a long time. After Stu joined though, his heart grew 3 sizes. Unfortunately that's also when he had his "awakening". But he's been much more inclusionary with the other band members since Dystopia. I think he's kind of like Portnoy in that he doesn't have a filter, and he's just going to speak his mind. He's pretty much made that clear in the facebook chat. He doesn't care if his crazy wackadoo beliefs offend anyone.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I've had that 2cd version for years but I've never listened to that interview disc.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

I've had that 2cd version for years but I've never listened to that interview disc.

He slept in abandoned houses when he was 18. The end. I've listened to it twice and that's all I remember from it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I remember two things.

1. The guy was a dick.

2. The interview was done by Summit Chandra. And in the early days of me having the internet, he also traveled along Iron Maiden's reunion Ed Hunter tour posting show reviews.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

He slept in abandoned houses when he was 18. The end. I've listened to it twice and that's all I remember from it.

One listen wasn't enough?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

They were years apart. You've never listened to an interview/lecture/presentation more than once?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

They were years apart. You've never listened to an interview/lecture/presentation more than once?

Far enough then.  I don't think I've ever listened to a musicians interview more than once.

Online MirrorMask

Why the first album should have a remix again? I have the Dark Genesis boxset and the remix (or it was a remaster?) on all the first three albums is excellent, in my limited exploration of remixes I'd say that, at least in heavy metal, those are by far the best ones where the difference is clear as night and day, and there's no need for any further tinkering.

About Jon... he's always made it clear that he has an altar where he worships Steve Harris and he's always been brutally honest about having a vision for the band and taking no prisoners in aiming for it. As it has been said, he has no filter like Portnoy, but maybe he's just a meaner than Mike (For all the bad rep Mike got for his online comments, his personality first and foremost as a music lover with tons of knowledge always shines through).

It's all a matter of personality and being your own filter I guess, Bosk said more than once that Petrucci has strong opinions and he's probably a firm leader like anyone else, but he always comes across as a nice and humble guy. Which I'm quite sure he is anyway, but I don't think we will ever see him (or read about it on the internet) blatantly in "I am the boss" mode, because even if he is, he's able to keep it hidden.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Madman Shepherd

I listened to that same interview. It was the host that kept baiting him. Jon is very passionate, so when the host starts bringing up the COVID conspiracies, of course Jon is gonna start ranting. He stopped himself several times because he was there to promote his book. The host was kind of a douche, and wasn't all that interested in the book.

Baiting? I dont know if asking very basic questions is baiting. In fact, the interviewer hardly challenged his views at first and when he did he wasnt very forceful. Jon took any question very badly.

Haha. The abandoned cars thing was basically every interview. I also remember him saying he supported george bush because he supports anybody that's a hard worker.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Baiting? I dont know if asking very basic questions is baiting. In fact, the interviewer hardly challenged his views at first and when he did he wasnt very forceful. Jon took any question very badly.

I agree with that.  The interview was titled something like "at home in quarantine," so of course the interviewer is going to ask some questions about the world situation and what Jon is doing to bide his time.  I really commend the interviewer for trying to get Jon to expand on his thoughts.  Jon would just say "well you're gonna see what happens soon," like he has some advanced knowledge, touting his knowledge of studying our government via reading a bunch of books.  When he was asked to further explain what he thought would happen, Jon avoided the question all together and kept insisting that we would see what happens soon.  I thought it made him look crazy.

I just wish Jon would stop talking about politics.  His live chat back in April was similar, complaining about the stay at home orders and government conspiracies. 

Either way, I will always love his music and am excited for the book.  He did say that there was a good chance at some new Purgatory music as well. 

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

I agree with that.  The interview was titled something like "at home in quarantine," so of course the interviewer is going to ask some questions about the world situation and what Jon is doing to bide his time.  I really commend the interviewer for trying to get Jon to expand on his thoughts.  Jon would just say "well you're gonna see what happens soon," like he has some advanced knowledge, touting his knowledge of studying our government via reading a bunch of books.  When he was asked to further explain what he thought would happen, Jon avoided the question all together and kept insisting that we would see what happens soon.  I thought it made him look crazy.

I just wish Jon would stop talking about politics.  His live chat back in April was similar, complaining about the stay at home orders and government conspiracies. 

Either way, I will always love his music and am excited for the book.  He did say that there was a good chance at some new Purgatory music as well. 

I guess that sounds closer to what happened. The interviewer was still an arrogant twat.

Offline Madman Shepherd

I try not to let my personal feelings get in the way of liking a band, but it is hard with Iced Earth. I gave up on them but finally got their latest albums and was pleasantly surprised. I don't go back and listen to them much though. I actually don't really dig Stu Block in a live setting. Sure he can hit the notes but that thin over the top vibrato things is too much. He sounds great from the studio though. I would love some new Purgatory. I dig Gene Adam's voice.

Also that whole "You're gonna see what happens soon" with the crazy eyes sounded vaguely threatening.

Offline Dedalus

"You're gonna see what happens soon" => Anything happens => Oh, I told you!

Offline Madman Shepherd

"You're gonna see what happens soon" => Anything happens => Oh, I told you!

:lol

Except, if he is that deadly accurate, does that mean he's actually a member of the deep state? Is Jon Schaffer the creature from Jeckyll Island?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never followed Jon and any interviews, what sort of shit is he into?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Alex Jones conspiracy theory BS. The government wants to control us through face masks and vaccines. I think he thinks the eventual COVID vaccine will have a microchip in it or something. Then there's the federal reserve. Basically, government is evil. The civil war wasn't fought over slavery, yadyyada.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Alex Jones conspiracy theory BS. The government wants to control us through face masks and vaccines. I think he thinks the eventual COVID vaccine will have a microchip in it or something. Then there's the federal reserve. Basically, government is evil. The civil war wasn't fought over slavery, yadyyada.

Yeah nice.  I don't think I'll delve into that with him.  :lol

Offline SleeperAwake

Jon has always been a bit... out there, but now he's apparently gone off the deep end.

"People die all the time"?  WTF Jon?

Offline Madman Shepherd

Jon has always been a bit... out there, but now he's apparently gone off the deep end.

"People die all the time"?  WTF Jon?

Did he say that after 9/11? Nope. He wrote a song called When the Eagle Cries and that got whiny when MTV wouldn't play the video and implored all of us to write to Bill O'Reilly to draw attention to it.

I was at the height of my Iced Earth fandom at the time and I was like, "Dude. MTV isn't going to play your video because they don't play any videos of heavy bands let alone Iced Earth."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I'm very fortunate I can just listen to their music and not care about being crazy dicks.

Granted, I wish I liked their music with Stu more, but at least I got their older albums!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm very fortunate I can just listen to their music and not care about being crazy dicks.

Granted, I wish I liked their music with Stu more, but at least I got their older albums!

Yeah, I still can't really get into Stu but have accepted that fact.  I didn't mind him on Incorruptible though.

Offline Lowdz

Yeah nice.  I don't think I'll delve into that with him.  :lol

Ah, that crazy part of America. Seems the further south you go the crazier the people get. With exceptions of course  :biggrin:

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Wicked Words and Epic Tales Kickstarter
« Reply #2721 on: August 17, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
$20 for an EP is fine with me if it has Jon and Matt back together again!   :metal   He really seems to have embraced this Kickstarter stuff. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2722 on: August 18, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »
Might back it, they also state they are open to visiting other works in the future, sounds good to me.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2723 on: August 18, 2020, 04:34:04 PM »
It's already reached double the goal. That's pretty damn impressive.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2724 on: August 18, 2020, 11:40:57 PM »
Am I the only one who really couldn't give a shit about this?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2725 on: August 19, 2020, 01:00:52 AM »

I give a shit about anything that comes out of Matt Barlow's mouth.

When he's in front of a microphone, I mean.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2726 on: August 19, 2020, 02:09:08 AM »
I mean a, Christmas EP?  No thanks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2727 on: August 19, 2020, 02:36:10 AM »

:metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2729 on: August 19, 2020, 03:19:48 PM »

I mean, I do in the sense that I think its vomit inducing.