85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 313087 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. NEW D&W SINGLE: DIABOLIC
« Reply #2660 on: January 18, 2020, 03:45:29 AM »
The pictire of Hansi standing over Jon also just looks wrong.   :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2661 on: January 18, 2020, 07:46:40 AM »
Okay, you know what, as long as it's a one-off experiment on the album and the whole album doesn't sound like that, I actually don't mind this at all. Alright hard rock song with good vocals and nice guitar solo. I'm definitely more interested in the new record now, looking forward to what else they've got to offer.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2662 on: January 18, 2020, 07:51:05 AM »
Okay, you know what, as long as it's a one-off experiment on the album and the whole album doesn't sound like that, I actually don't mind this at all.

Exactly my thoughts.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2663 on: January 19, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »
Wasn't expecting this, but I like the song! And Hansi sounds great. I hope the album will be varied, this is a good sign, as I don't think we will get a hardrock-ish album as a whole.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2664 on: January 19, 2020, 01:15:41 PM »
Wasn't expecting this, but I like the song! And Hansi sounds great. I hope the album will be varied, this is a good sign, as I don't think we will get a hardrock-ish album as a whole.

Same here.  I like that we're getting some variety and I trust Jon and Hansi to not stay too far from their typical sound.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2665 on: February 20, 2020, 07:17:02 AM »
We didn't even bother to comment on the third song released, Wolves in Winter  :P

Tomorrow is the day! after 15 years, we get a new chapter in D&W's history. III comes out tomorrow! crossed fingers for a kickass record!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2666 on: February 20, 2020, 07:35:02 AM »
Wolves in Winter is probably my favorite tune of the three singles.  It's so catchy and has some killer vocals.  I'm excited to hear the full record soon.

Nothing will ever beat the magic that is the first album, but I'm just happy to have some new Demons & Wizards tunes.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2667 on: February 20, 2020, 08:40:15 AM »
I enjoyed each new track more than the previous one. And each track thus far is different, which I like. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2668 on: February 20, 2020, 08:43:50 AM »
We didn't even bother to comment on the third song released, Wolves in Winter  :P

I didn't find it terribly interesting, that's why I didn't comment.  Actually, other than the first single, which was good but sounded too much like Heaven Denies, nothing has stood out. I'll still get the album.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2669 on: February 20, 2020, 08:55:34 AM »

I didn't find it terribly interesting, that's why I didn't comment.  Actually, other than the first single, which was good but sounded too much like Heaven Denies, nothing has stood out. I'll still get the album.

Well, Diabolic is lyrically a direct sequel to Heaven Denies.  That type of song is D&W's bread and butter and Heaven Denies is probably one of their most kick-ass songs.  So any similarity didn't bother me at all.  I love the riffing in Diabolic.

I've seen a few interviews with Jon and Hansi where they stated that their only intent on this album was to put more of the classic rock feel into the band, like Midas Disease's blatant AC/DC homage.  Jon actually said he wrote that during the Incorruptible sessions and held onto it.  He had a different theme for the lyrics as well, which were about a street fighter.  I'm glad that idea was scrapped.   :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2670 on: February 20, 2020, 12:16:40 PM »
Diabolic is a good song, no doubt.  I don't mind a more classic rock infusion, just didn't love the other two singles so hopefully I connect moreso with the other tracks.  It's still Hansi so I'm still very much interested in it.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2671 on: February 21, 2020, 08:26:37 AM »
I've listened to the album a few times since yesterday and it's a grower.  Diabolic and Wolves in Winter are the more immediate songs.  I always hope for a bunch of faster songs with galloping riffs and have to get over my initial feelings when those songs aren't there.  That's not to say that the songs aren't heavy, they're just not always fast-paced burners like we get on the first album. 

There is a ton to absorb still - Hansi is phenominal.  Some songs like New Dawn have him singing phrases a lot rougher than his usual layered, majestic choirs.  His voice is just so damn good no matter what he sings.

Musically, it's pretty much on par with recent Iced Earth albums, though there are a few acoustic based songs, which Jon seems to reserve for these Demons albums.  Many of them feel like Raven Wing from Incorruptible - a clean intro, with mid-tempo heavy sections that are catchy and just groove along.  In one recent interview that I saw, Jon was explaining how he wrote that song in one night and it came to be the most popular song on the album.  So maybe he's trying to emulate that type of song a bit more since it was so popular.  Split has some really fast riffing in sections, but it doesn't keep the afterburners on throughout the song, though it feels a bit more like the darker Iced Earth of old (some of the riffing is reminiscent of stuff on Burnt Offerings).   

Overall, I think it's a great record and I find more to like with each listen  The first album is absolutely magical for me and I've recently enjoyed the second a lot more than I had in years past.  This one feels like it fits right in. 

Initial favorites:  Diabolic, Wolves in Winter, New Dawn (I CLEANSE IT WITH FIIIIIRE  :metal), Split, Children of Cain

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2672 on: February 21, 2020, 09:24:11 AM »
I haven't had a solid uninterrupted listen, but I didnt really like what I've heard so far. One song has a riff from Dystopia. V I think the riff is from. The melodies didn't stand out, and neither did the music. Pretty disappointed so far.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2673 on: February 21, 2020, 10:11:19 AM »
This is a plain bad album imo. Not terrible, but not good. Just bad. Not one memorable vocal melody or hook, Jon Schaffer playing the same boring riff for most of the record, and a bunch of slow clean stuff that is not what I expect from Demons & Wizards - and even then it was done better on the earlier records. I was holding out hope after the three singles disappointed me but this is just weak. I haven't been this disappointed in an album by musicians I deeply admire since Rhapsody of Fire's last record. Boring lyrics, boring performances, boring album. That "classic rock" direction was a mistake imo, after hearing this.

This isn't as bad as Iced Earth's Plagues of Babylon, but it's not even in the same ballpark as Dystopia or Incorruptible to me. At least those records had a few great songs I still listen to.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2674 on: February 21, 2020, 10:21:40 AM »
Jon Schaffer playing the same boring riff for most of the record, and a bunch of slow clean stuff that is not what I expect from Demons & Wizards - and even then it was done better on the earlier records.

I think there are plenty of great vocals from Hansi, but I can agree with the statement about Jon (my comment about a bunch of the songs reminding me of Raven Wing).

It took me several listens to get past that sentiment.  I'm hearing some stuff that I really dig, whether it's a riff here or there, or the acoustic stuff, since he doesn't put a lot of that into Iced Earth.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. D&W'S III - OUT NOW
« Reply #2675 on: February 21, 2020, 10:33:02 AM »
I remember one song - Dark Side of Her Majesty, I believe - having some better vocals from Hansi, but man, after every song was finished, I couldn't sing back a single melodic idea.

It's nice to hear Schaffer do the acoustic clean stuff, I agree. I just wish the musical ideas were more compelling. Just sound kinda bog standard string riffing outlining the chordal tones for that given bar, there's no emphasis on a clear melodic idea which I find boring. :(
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2676 on: February 24, 2020, 11:55:56 AM »
On my second listen to the record this morning. I really dig it. Time will tell if it all sticks with me, but it was memorable enough to me that I told the Mrs. she should absolutely rip my CD because it sounds like something she'd be into.

Interesting responses from you all. I mean, I knew of Demons & Wizards, and I have the first album - admittedly not as familiar with it as the Iced Earth stuff. But I dug III on first listen, and nothing in my second listen has changed that.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2677 on: February 29, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »
Gave it some spins. It's a grower for sure, and it's not immediate like the other ones. Definitively they did what they wanted to do, rather than aiming for a "commercial hit".

Diabolic is quite good in the end, it bookends Heaven Denies with the long outro, but it's a solid song. Invincible is unusual but pretty good, and Wolves in Winter is a fine heavy track.

Timeless Spirit kinda goes on and on, it's quite simple for being 9 minutes long... same for Children of Cain, it's quite a good song but it's hard to decipher, there's no momentum, no climax, it goes on and on and on and a certain point it ends. Some great moments here and there for sure, though.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2678 on: February 29, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »
Second listen was better with headphones. Blown speakers in the car plus windows open really does a number on the listening experience. Still, Diabolic is the best, most memorable song. Midas Desease is memorable in a bad way. Other songs were alright, but I doubt I'll spin this one that often. The debut took years to grow, so maybe it'll be the same for this one, but for now, this gets a 4 out of 10.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: March 09, 2020, 02:58:45 PM »
I saw this instore on the weekend and picked it up.  Only 4 songs in but don't know what to think.  It sounds a bit different for D&W, definitely smells more of later day IE.  Hansi sounds amazing though.  Sounds like the rest of the album won't pick up any momentum but we'll see.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2680 on: March 09, 2020, 03:03:54 PM »
I saw this instore on the weekend and picked it up.  Only 4 songs in but don't know what to think.  It sounds a bit different for D&W, definitely smells more of later day IE.  Hansi sounds amazing though.  Sounds like the rest of the album won't pick up any momentum but we'll see.

It's a grower, give it some time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2681 on: March 09, 2020, 03:33:20 PM »

It's a grower, give it some time.

Yeah, spending 20 bucks on it will make me give it everything I have.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2682 on: March 10, 2020, 11:01:24 PM »
After a full listen I'm not sure what to think.  It's a pretty safe album and it's clear that Hansi and Jon were going for something a bit more simple and a different direction.  It definitely needs a few listens I think.  Can't recall any standouts but Diabolic is the best song here I think.  I actually liked Timeless Spirit a lot even though it's Schaffer by numbers.  Universal Truth seems like it could be a good one also.  Was disappointed with Children of Cain.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2683 on: March 11, 2020, 08:21:28 AM »
Children of Cain is a weird epic, it kinda drags, with the momentum building up only in the middle. It has some excellent vocal passages however, such as when toward the end Hansi sings "Dismiss the illusion, all mercy's denied; the mark's set upon you, you're no son of mine", and the following "Father, OOOH FATHER". With time it will grow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: March 11, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
Children of Cain is a weird epic, it kinda drags, with the momentum building up only in the middle. It has some excellent vocal passages however, such as when toward the end Hansi sings "Dismiss the illusion, all mercy's denied; the mark's set upon you, you're no son of mine", and the following "Father, OOOH FATHER". With time it will grow.

They had a good opportunity around the 4 minute mark to keep it going with the momentum and get into a really big epic mid section but it stops early and just fades into the rest of the song.  I find it strange.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2685 on: March 11, 2020, 02:57:45 PM »
Hansi's screams on this record sound like he smoked a pack of reds before each recording session. No me gusta

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2686 on: June 16, 2020, 08:11:11 PM »
Jon's new project:  Jon Schaffer's Wicked Words & Epic Tales:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/icedearth/jon-schaffers-wicked-words-and-epic-tales?fbclid=IwAR258ptqisuzPTzRq9JzvDSc3cH8Pg-4ntIsTQQySHOppbDs3KV21zLOYRA

The presentation is fantastic and I'm really excited about this thing, especially the limited CD with reimagined songs.  So much so that I actually pledged to my first crowdfunding campaign ever.  It's not really set up in the same manner as others, where higher tiers receive the rewards of lower tiers (so some options get shirts, some get their name in the book, but you can't get additional rewards).  It's expensive, but the book should be worth it.  I wanted my name in the thank you list, but paying an extra $75 for that to happen is too much money.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:11:51 AM by Grappler »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2687 on: June 17, 2020, 07:14:57 AM »
Strongly considering jumping in on this.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: June 18, 2020, 12:56:20 PM »
So I didn't love the singles and the reviews here were fairly meh on D&W's III, but I had an itch to listen to something new this week so finally picked it up.  Gave my first listen at work Tuesday and was really surprised how much I enjoyed it.  It didn't blow me away, but on first listen, I totally dug it.  Now I'm back at work and almost done with my second play through and I'm feeling good about this.  I like it.  I'll need more listens to really figure out what I like about it and which songs are my favorites, but I'm a bit shocked considering my previous feelings.  Or maybe I just needed some Hansi in my life  :metal

Offline Grappler

Lyric Video for Dracula (A Narrative Soundscape):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh170RUQuO8&feature=emb_title

Musicially, it has the same intro, but the main portion of the song has been reimagined into what resembles a film score, with the orchestration carrying the melody of what would normally be the guitars throughout the song.  The vocals are Jon's spoken word performance of the lyrics, and though it's devoid of the original vocal melodies, he certainly enunciates and emotes within the performance. 

Ultimately, this isn't an Iced Earth project, it's a solo project to highlight Jon's lyrics via special art and a special musical companion.  So don't go into it thinking that it's a full-on Iced Earth re-recording of the song.  I think it's rather cool and very unique - and can't wait to hear the rest of the reimagined songs. 

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
So during the recent Facebook chat, Jon talked a bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense, his book, and the 30th Anniversary of the debut and it getting another remix, this time by Zeuss. There's also a surprise coming in a few weeks.

My favorite guitarist is a tinfoil hat wearing nut job, and I'm worried for his safety.

Also, Iced Earth is on hold because all the members are from different countries.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I hope Stu hasn't redone the vocals on the debut.  :lol  A remix I wouldn't mind hearing though.  Never had an issue with the album though.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I hope Stu hasn't redone the vocals on the debut.  :lol  A remix I wouldn't mind hearing though.  Never had an issue with the album though.

I think he briefly mentioned the re-recordings, and basically said that's dead in the water. The Covid bullshit screwed everything up, so after the book, the remix, and whatever surprise in a few weeks, he's taking another vacation. But not Arizona this time, because Arizona doesn't believe in the constitution or something along those lines.

I like Incorruptible, but not so much the mix. The 2002 version of the debut sounds just fine, so I'm not sure how it can be improved upon. Oh, I think he said he's doing both the debut and Stormrider since the release dates were so close. I'm hoping he uses the original files and NOT the chopped up 2002 versions as a base.

Offline ErHaO

I don't follow Jon's personal stuff, but have read some of the stuff he believes in and it seemed pretty nuts, some of it actually offensive in my view. I love his work though, but I don't think I would align with him on a personal level at all.

That book thing he is doing is amazing btw, not enough of an Iced Earth fan to jump in, but it really seems like he is doing the cool concept justice.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jon isn't the only known musician with some crazy conspiracy theories (I don't follow him closely to know what his are, but just heard others say similar).  Billy Corgan and Tom DeLonge come to.mind