85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310889 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Enter The Realm 30th Anniversary
« Reply #2555 on: February 06, 2019, 04:03:41 PM »
Of course he's gonna write his own history in favorable light, but I always had the honest impression that Jon was the most driven, hard working guy of them all and so went through many line-up changes because he couldn't find people with his level of determination and professionalism.

...for minimal pay.

Also, we should point out "his level" is "whatever he deems his level to be."

There's no doubt he's driven but he has not always been receptive to other people partaking in the writing and even recording.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2556 on: February 06, 2019, 04:39:28 PM »
Of course he's gonna write his own history in favorable light, but I always had the honest impression that Jon was the most driven, hard working guy of them all and so went through many line-up changes because he couldn't find people with his level of determination and professionalism.

...for minimal pay.

Also, we should point out "his level" is "whatever he deems his level to be."

There's no doubt he's driven but he has not always been receptive to other people partaking in the writing and even recording.

Yeah, he kicked Larry out because he didn't want any "guitar heroes" in the band.

EDIT: While the guitar hero thing stuck with me for years, I can't find anything about it now, but I did find a different explanation from Jon. http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earth-s-schaffer-explains-guitarist-s-departure/

This might have even been addressed by Larry or Jon on Podcast in Stone, I can't remember. I know I read the guitar hero thing somewhere years ago.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:46:51 PM by Zook »

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2557 on: February 06, 2019, 04:56:35 PM »
I remember something along those lines and then him trashing lead guitarists.  He essentially said, "They can play a bunch of scales but can't keep a steady rhythm."  He's ranted about people not being able to write as well as him and don't forget the obligatory mention about how he was sleeping in cars when he was 16.

He's pretty obnoxious and I try not to let personalities influence my opinion of his music but it's difficult with him. Hell, I even like the first Sons of Liberty album kind of so that shows that I can separate the music from the bullshit.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2558 on: February 06, 2019, 06:26:45 PM »
I remember something along those lines and then him trashing lead guitarists.  He essentially said, "They can play a bunch of scales but can't keep a steady rhythm."  He's ranted about people not being able to write as well as him and don't forget the obligatory mention about how he was sleeping in cars when he was 16.

He's pretty obnoxious and I try not to let personalities influence my opinion of his music but it's difficult with him. Hell, I even like the first Sons of Liberty album kind of so that shows that I can separate the music from the bullshit.

Don't forget the abandoned houses. I think he's mellowed out over the past few years though. He went through his midlife crisis when Stu joined, but he seems to have since started becoming a team player rather than a dictator. I think he was always just really protective of his band.

I did not like Sons of Liberty at all. The lyrics were laughable, and the music didn't have much going for it either. Plus, he was full on Alex Jonesing it during that time.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2559 on: February 06, 2019, 09:35:53 PM »
Yes. His interview with Alex Jones was painful. Alex Jones has such terrible ADD. He kept jumping back and forth in between topics and telling Jon he should sing in Iced Earth even though I doubt he had ever listen to Iced Earth.

I don't know why but I actually kind of liked the SOL lyrics. I had to completely separate myself from the topic in order to enjoy it it was cool for what it was and what it was for me was a free download. I actually had some free download credits on Amazon and I decided to get his second release which he didn't release for free for some reason. That one was pretty painful. I had pretty much given up on Iced Earth at that point but I saw some clips of Sons of Liberty opening for Iced Earth and that was pretty painful to see Jon as a frontman.

I do agree it seems like he's mellowed out a bit though

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2560 on: April 10, 2019, 07:26:08 AM »
Demons & Wizards US/North American Tour!   :metal

Legendary metal band Demons & Wizards have just announced their A Magical Encounter With Demons & Wizards North American headline tour today. The band will hit the road starting August 17th in Los Angeles and will be wrapping with their sold out show on September 7th in Atlanta. The band will be joined by special guests Lizzy Borden and Týr and will be playing major markets like New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, and more.

“Demons & Wizards touring North America? That is going to be pure magic, guaranteed,” states Hansi Kürsch about the tour announcement. “You better not miss it, cause you never know when the Demon and the Wizard will join forces again. I am really thrilled about these first shows for Demons & Wizards in North America and we are going to make every single night a legendary night to remember. Join us on this path of glory.”

“I am very happy that we've announced the first ever Demons & Wizards tour in North America,” adds Jon Shaffer. “We’ve been getting fan requests for many years to bring this show to all points around the world. To be able to do it in the USA is an exciting development. Stay heavy and see you on the road soon!”

Founded in 1999 by Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian) and Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth), Demons & Wizards released two highly acclaimed albums Demons & Wizards (1999) and Touched by the Crimson King (2005). The band recently announced their worldwide signing to Century Media Records and is gearing up to release their highly anticipated third studio album (title TBD), which is scheduled to be released early 2020. Before then, Century Media Records will release the band’s first two sold out albums as reworked special editions. Remastered by Zeuss (Iced Earth, Queensrÿche, Sanctuary), both releases will be out on June 7th, 2019 as a limited edition digipak and a limited deluxe two LP releases with bonus material and liner notes by both members. On March 29th, 2019, the digital standard versions of the remastered albums will be available to promote the band’s festival run in Europe.

DEMONS & WIZARDS TOUR DATES
 May 31 – Saarbrücken, Germany – Garage
 June 1 – Pratteln, Switzerland – Z7
 June 2 – Frankfurt, Germany – Batschkapp
 June 19 – Copenhagen, Denmark - Copenhell Festival
 June 21 – Dessel, Belgium - Graspop Metal Meeting
 June 21 – Clisson, France - Hellfest
 June 29 – Dokkum, Netherlands - Dokk’em Open Air
 June 30 – London, United Kingdom - Islington Assembly Hall
 July 4 – Barcelona, Spain - Barcelona Rock Fest
 July 6 – Chania,Greece - Chania Rock Festival
 July 7 – Tolmin, Slovenia – Metaldays
 August 1-3 – Wacken, Germany - Wacken Open Air
 August 17 - Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern
 August 20 - Seattle, WA - Showbox SODO
 August 21 - Vancouver, BC - The Commodore
 August 22 - Portland, OR - Roseland
 August 24 - Denver, CO - The Summit Theater
 August 26 - Dallas, TX - Gas Monkey Live
 August 28 - Chicago, IL - Concord Music Hall
 August 29 - Minneapolis, MN - Skyway Theater
 August 31 - Toronto, ON - Danforth Music Hall
 September 1 - Montreal, QC - Corona Theatre
 September 4 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium
 September 5 - New York, NY - The Playstation Theater
 September 7 - Atlanta, GA – Progpower (SOLD OUT)

Not a fan of the opening bands, but this will probably be the ONLY chance to ever see them play live.  I may have to get tickets to this one.  At least they're hitting a lot of major cities.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2561 on: April 10, 2019, 07:27:18 AM »
I'm just thankful I still have ProgPower in case I miss it (Wednesday in Chicago - that's gonna be tough), but yeah, this is awesome news. August just got way more fun.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2562 on: April 10, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
Not the least bit surprised there's no Arizona date.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2563 on: April 10, 2019, 09:06:26 PM »
Damn. Tickets are 50 bucks a piece. Seems a bit pricey but I'll bite.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2564 on: April 11, 2019, 05:22:27 AM »

I think the Chicago show is $47.50, plus $25 for on-site parking.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2565 on: April 11, 2019, 07:16:20 AM »

I love Concord Music Hall - easiest venue for me to get to in Chicago, after being on the interstate for a couple hours I take a quick exit and 5 minutes later I'm standing in line. But that damn parking fee. When it first started being the go-to venue for power metal bands years ago it was like 10, maybe $15, last year I thought it was $20, now $25? Still, I wouldn't want to go to any other small/medium sized club in the city. It'll be a damn good show worth the cost.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2566 on: April 11, 2019, 10:10:22 AM »
I'm not a big fan (yet), and I don't know most of their material, although I plan to delve into it, but I'm definitely going to see them in June. I mean, this seems like a unique opportunity which may not arise anymore in the future.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2567 on: April 11, 2019, 11:46:45 AM »
I'll catch it at Progpower, the way the PP bands end up touring means I can see them in NYC or ProgPower but not both and PP is already booked so there's that.

I've listened to both albums on stream and enjoy it, reminds me of Bling Guardian essentially which I love.  I'll probably buy the remasters when they get released instead of buying one of the albums now.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2568 on: April 12, 2019, 10:09:55 AM »
Hesitating on a ticket.  $45, plus $20 in fees, plus $25 in pre-paid parking is $91.   That just comes out to a ton of money. 

I know it's a once in a lifetime thing and the higher ticket cost is because this will never happen again, but it's really hard to justify that given current family expenses.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2569 on: April 12, 2019, 10:12:17 AM »
Man I hope they have something cool at the merch table beyond just t-shirts and CDs. Like... a flag. I will squeeze some last bit of room on my living room walls to fit a D&W flag. I need this...

Offline Art

« Reply #2570 on: April 12, 2019, 12:36:06 PM »
Ripper-era albums back on streaming services :metal

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2571 on: April 12, 2019, 02:24:41 PM »

I love Concord Music Hall - easiest venue for me to get to in Chicago, after being on the interstate for a couple hours I take a quick exit and 5 minutes later I'm standing in line. But that damn parking fee. When it first started being the go-to venue for power metal bands years ago it was like 10, maybe $15, last year I thought it was $20, now $25? Still, I wouldn't want to go to any other small/medium sized club in the city. It'll be a damn good show worth the cost.

I'm partial to Thalia Hall in the Pilson neighborhood. I saw Goblin there and it was one of the coolest experiences in this beautiful 120 year old theater.

I dont think they have many metal acts there. Skipped seeing Gart Numan there last year and regretted it ever since.

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2572 on: April 14, 2019, 08:37:04 AM »
Super excited to grab Demons & Wizards tickets for NYC!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2573 on: April 15, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »
Hesitating on a ticket.  $45, plus $20 in fees, plus $25 in pre-paid parking is $91.   That just comes out to a ton of money. 

I know it's a once in a lifetime thing and the higher ticket cost is because this will never happen again, but it's really hard to justify that given current family expenses.

There is free street parking if you are up for that (and can find it). I saw Machine Head at Concord and we parked on Western for free. It was a 5 or 10 minute walk.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2574 on: May 28, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »
First live show is this Friday!  Jon and Hansi have revealed the band lineup today, and it's really no surprise, though they did add keyboards for the first time ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1zh2BSwqTc&fbclid=IwAR3YI-I_QdqyAgsGR-E81Tqku7_4rThEZPLVD8Fr-ViVikUysRIgw-LeBJw

Vocals - Hansi
Rhythm Guitar - Jon
Lead Guitar - Jake Dreyer (Iced Earth)
Bass - Marcus Siepen (Blind Guardian guitarist)
Drums - Frederik Ehmke (Blind Guardian)

Keys - Joost van den Broek (After Forever, Ayreon/Star One)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2575 on: May 28, 2019, 10:33:59 AM »
Omg I love that lineup. YES!! I met Fred outside a BG gig a few years ago and he is so cool. Can't wait for this tour to go down.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2576 on: May 31, 2019, 09:19:54 PM »
And here it is!  I'm anxiously awaiting video....love that they continued playing some Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, and added an extra song from each band.  In 2000, they played Welcome to Dying (Jon's favorite BG tune) and Travel in Stygian (Hansi's favorite IE tune).

(Intro)
Rites of Passage
Heaven Denies
Poor Man's Crusade
Crimson King
Love's Tragedy Asunder
Burning Times (Iced Earth cover)
Welcome to Dying (Blind Guardian cover)
Wicked Witch
Beneath These Waves
The Gunslinger
Terror Train
I Died for You (Iced Earth cover)
Valhalla (Blind Guardian cover)
Tear Down the Wall
Gallows Pole
My Last Sunrise

Encore:
Blood on My Hands
Fiddler on the Green

Encore 2:
Dorian

If this doesn't sell out, I'd be tempted to get last minute tickets.  Otherwise I'm glad that they'll be recording the Wacken show for future release.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2577 on: May 31, 2019, 09:24:09 PM »
Be still, my heart. That's beautiful.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2578 on: June 01, 2019, 09:17:05 AM »
I'm glad its a nice long set list too  :metal  I still don't know their music that well, I've lsitened to both albums a bunch but never really studied it to know the songs but I liked it and am looking forward to their set in September.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Demons & Wizards 2019 Tour
« Reply #2579 on: June 01, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »
Awesome setlist! Feels weird to have Dorian as second encore but for the rest it's a kickass and long setlist!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2580 on: June 01, 2019, 07:11:19 PM »
A shame they don't play Immigrant Song in the first encore. That cover is so good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2581 on: June 01, 2019, 07:20:14 PM »
Jeesh, Jon loves himself some Burning Times. That song is so boring...

Welcome To Dying!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2582 on: June 02, 2019, 08:51:58 AM »
Burning Times rocks, you fool.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2583 on: June 02, 2019, 09:08:10 AM »
Jeesh, Jon loves himself some Burning Times. That song is so boring...

It doesn't matter what your tastes are, if you don't like Burning Times, you are a sinner

:metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2584 on: June 02, 2019, 09:41:56 AM »
Burning Times is awesome...everything great about Iced Earth packed into a 4 minute tune.

And they rocked the shit out of it...and Welcome to Dying:
https://youtu.be/b01xaNChD30

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2585 on: June 07, 2019, 04:59:48 PM »
Love's Tragedy Asunder Demo lyrics:

"I don't believe in thunder, still I believe"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2586 on: June 10, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
Just got back from the show. If you're thinking if you should go or not (like I did), definitely go. Being familiar with the material helps, but turned out not to be necessary—I didn't remember much from the first album aside from a few songs and still had fun.

Fiddler on the Green is the damnedest song live. It's even better without a fadeout, and a great show closer. Dorian (which we also got as the second encore) is not the damnedest song live and not a great show closer, but it helped that the second encore was much more spontaneous than the first. The band took a bow, took a picture with the fans, Jon and Frederik threw the picks and drumsticks to the crowd, everyone seemed ready to leave and I thought we won't get it. So I guess it worked as a spontaneous encore, just an additional song played, whereas the "true" closer was Fiddler.

Other two highlights of the show in regards to D&W original material were Love's Tragedy Asunder (figures, I love that song) and surprisingly Terror Train. Welcome to Dying and Valhalla are always a treat, and I liked Burning Times a lot, even though I wasn't too familiar with that song at all (I only knew when to scream "YOU ARE A SINNER!" so there's that).

The biggest bummer is that I got to the venue quite late (the opening band just finished playing) and all the merch was already gone. :lol No CDs, no vinyls, no T-shirts, only two types of fridge magnets (and I've bought the last one of one type, haha). While I thought it was a possibility I'll miss out on the T-shirt, I didn't think all the CDs would be gone. I was actually looking forward to buying the new remasters, even had some money put aside for that. Oh well.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2587 on: June 10, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »
I've been watching a lot of clips and they are killing it. They get better with every performance. Although I've never seen Blind Guardian live and hope I still can one day, I'd be fine if both bands took an extended break so Demons & Wizards can tour more. It's a pretty great line up. It looks to be quite a success so far so hopefully they can add more dates, but I guess it's really up to them if they want to.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2588 on: June 11, 2019, 01:06:02 AM »
I have seen them live in 2000, opening for Iron Maiden at a festival (well, they were the last band before Maiden). Ironically for 19 years I've been one of the lucky few that saw them live (they played the whole debut album minus The Whistler and rounded it up with covers of School's Out and Hell's Bells), and this time around they skip Italy.

Glad however that you had a great time Evermind!  :tup

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2589 on: June 11, 2019, 07:41:42 AM »
I'm afraid of the D&W show near me selling out in August (I'll buy my tickets later) but since I'll see them at PP I'm not too fussed. I'm really happy to hear the live shows are going well.