85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 312698 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Incorruptible (June 2017)
« Reply #2485 on: October 28, 2018, 05:21:53 AM »
That Purgatory song sounds like old school Mercyful Fate, not bad!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2487 on: October 28, 2018, 06:18:19 PM »
And a new Ashes of Ares video!  Matt kills it on this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GICCKVL3r_w&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3KJ5p8t4fWqVoU2CAtNRSy9CVjVzRCjo7S-i9hZyvhkXUHmSjn2SqWMI4

So....meh. Matt deserves so much better than that. He needs a fantastic song writer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2488 on: November 02, 2018, 12:06:33 AM »
Listening to the new Witherfall album right now and I've gotta say that I can't wait to see what Jake adds to the songwriting table on the next IE album. Obviously there's no way it'll be as proggy as Witherfall is, but songs like Vintage really show that Jake's a natural at writing memorable (and siiiiiick) melodies.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2489 on: November 09, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
New Ashes of Ares is out today!  They dropped a video for The Alien, a big, heavy tune from the album as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSao0O_Gl7g

I think the songs are a bit better on this disc compared to the debut and the production is definitely better.  Barlow really is the star of the album (and band), that's for sure. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2490 on: November 09, 2018, 11:41:40 AM »
New Ashes of Ares is out today!  They dropped a video for The Alien, a big, heavy tune from the album as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSao0O_Gl7g

I think the songs are a bit better on this disc compared to the debut and the production is definitely better.  Barlow really is the star of the album (and band), that's for sure.

Ashes of Ares is out NEXT Friday, according to my Amazon pre-order. LOL
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2491 on: November 09, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »

Ashes of Ares is out NEXT Friday, according to my Amazon pre-order. LOL

There's been some weirdness with release dates lately. Ashes was due today and then pushed to next week, yet they released the digital this week. Same thing happened with the new Warrel Dane record. Date got pushed but only for the physical. Digital released on the proper day. It's aggravating.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2492 on: November 09, 2018, 12:05:59 PM »
Strange. Yeah, I should check my Amazon and see if Ashes is available digitally for me. It probably isn't though, because they only release the auto rip (I think) after the CD ships.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2493 on: November 10, 2018, 10:18:20 AM »
Not really caring for the new Ashes of Ares. Very samey, and I think Matt is capable of doing way better than this.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2494 on: December 04, 2018, 12:57:48 PM »
I'm hot and cold on the Ashes of Ares album.  I have moments where I agree with a comment above, about wanting Matt to have a kickass songwriter in the band, like we're used to with Jon.  Then I just sit back and realize that Ashes is never going to be Iced Earth and I just enjoy it for what it is.

Matt addressed that in a recent interview - Freddie is more of a thrash/death metal guy that wants to write ultra heavy songs and Matt is always looking for some room in the music to do some different things with his vocals that aren't tied to those styles of music.

Also, I submitted this in a facebook group and found it to be an interesting exercise.  Write your dream Iced Earth setlist using songs that they have not played over the last handful of tours.  I tried to cover as many albums as I could, rather than just sticking to particular discs.  That one-two punch of Dark Saga and Last Laugh is just awesome.

Dark Saga
The Last Laugh
Defiance
Anthem
Burnt Offerings
Desert Rain
Peacemaker
Diary
I Walk Alone
The Reckoning
Dragon’s Child
Im Ho Tep
Boiling Point
Melancholy
A Question of Heaven

Encore:
Gettysburg Trilogy
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:59:09 PM by Grappler »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2495 on: December 04, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
I'm hot and cold on the Ashes of Ares album.  I have moments where I agree with a comment above, about wanting Matt to have a kickass songwriter in the band, like we're used to with Jon.  Then I just sit back and realize that Ashes is never going to be Iced Earth and I just enjoy it for what it is.

Matt addressed that in a recent interview - Freddie is more of a thrash/death metal guy that wants to write ultra heavy songs and Matt is always looking for some room in the music to do some different things with his vocals that aren't tied to those styles of music.

I am the same. I went back and listened to the first AoA album today, and I think its slightly better than Well of Souls. Well of Souls isn't bad by any stretch, and I'll play it quite a bit for awhile. But its clear that the songwriting is nowhere near as good as Iced Earth. And that's really hard to get around, because, well, when you hear Barlow, you think Barlow-era Iced Earth. It's really just unavoidable.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2496 on: December 06, 2018, 03:20:41 AM »
A bit off topic, but does anyone else think Barlow sounds like Paul Stanley in his hayday in his mid range?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2497 on: December 06, 2018, 09:28:12 AM »
A bit off topic, but does anyone else think Barlow sounds like Paul Stanley in his hayday in his mid range?

My step dad thought so.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2498 on: December 06, 2018, 09:42:47 AM »
I can hear that, yeah.

Offline Art

« Reply #2499 on: December 06, 2018, 10:34:49 AM »

Yes

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2500 on: December 06, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »

Definitely

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2501 on: December 13, 2018, 10:56:57 AM »
An updated from the Podcast in Stone guys:

Just finished up an awesome 6 hour chat with Jon Schaffer. The interview is around 4 hours. We had a casual 2 hour chat afterwards.The interview is releasing in the new year. I'm so overwhelmed on what I'm able to do with this podcast. Thank you everyone for your support. Metal lives!!

Their prior interview with Jon was fantastic, so I'm looking forward to this new one.  Kudos to Jon for giving these guys so much of his time.  Their Facebook group is a lot of fun - there are a lot of prior Iced Earth members and members of Purgatory hanging around, sharing stories, explaining some of the band's history from their perspectives and even giving their own interviews.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2502 on: December 13, 2018, 03:08:48 PM »
4 hour interview, WTF?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2503 on: December 13, 2018, 04:03:37 PM »
4 hour interview, WTF?

The last one was 3 hours. Went by super quick.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2504 on: December 14, 2018, 08:19:38 AM »
Lyric video for Jon Schaffer's Purgatory - In Your Dreams.  https://youtu.be/MlpWHZeA61U

FREDDY'S GONNA GET YA!   :metal

I have to say that Jon definitely honed his talent for writing lyrics over the years, coming from "Freddy's gonna get ya, he'll rip you to shreds,  his hands are sharp and pointy."   :lol   I do like the tune musically - it's not a straight-forward banger like Dracula was.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2505 on: December 14, 2018, 08:48:53 AM »
Lyric video for Jon Schaffer's Purgatory - In Your Dreams.  https://youtu.be/MlpWHZeA61U

I have to say that Jon definitely honed his talent for writing lyrics over the years, coming from "Freddy's gonna get ya, he'll rip you to shreds,  his hands are sharp and pointy."   :lol   I do like the tune musically - it's not a straight-forward banger like Dracula was.

Maybe Gene Adam wrote that one.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2506 on: December 14, 2018, 09:07:58 AM »

Maybe - I'm sure the CD will clarify who wrote what.  I know that they were teenagers when they wrote these songs and it shows how much better they've become.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2507 on: December 28, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »

Maybe - I'm sure the CD will clarify who wrote what.  I know that they were teenagers when they wrote these songs and it shows how much better they've become.

Gene confirmed on Facebook that he wrote the lyrics for In Your Dreams, In Jason's Mind, and Dracula.

What does everyone think of the EP? I didn't care for IYD, but for what they were, the other songs are decent. Dracula being the best.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2508 on: December 28, 2018, 01:08:46 PM »
I really like it - I wasn't a fan of Gene's for a long time, and only within the last handful of years started listening to the debut more regularly.  Between Days of Purgatory and Alive in Athens, most of the songs were re-recorded or played live by Matt or even Stu.

I compared it to the demos briefly and love that they tightened the songs up - the tempos and arrangements are better and the songs don't sound like the band is going to come off the rails at any time.  The maturity and musicianship shows through.  Gene is the shining star on the EP - his vocals are incredible, and that's a huge compliment from me.  The guy hasn't lost a step, and his clean vocals have some more grit and depth to them.  The highs are on par with King Diamond, which is so cool to hear.

I think the lyrics suck, but they were written when these guys were kids, so it is what it is.  I love that the band could put aside any differences as they've gotten older, reconnect, and give fans a proper recording of those old songs.  Hopefully they can keep doing this - they recorded it in 9 days, so Jon could sneak it in again in between projects.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2509 on: January 01, 2019, 03:54:06 PM »
New FOUR HOUR Jon Schaffer interview from Podcast in Stone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2qKsdLxx4c

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2510 on: January 02, 2019, 08:01:14 AM »
I've listened to it all, and I love that he's so giving with his time to these guys and isn't afraid to go into detail on certain topics.  I only cringed once when he brought up a brief political view of his that bothers me.  But it was once again a great conversation about him and his music and bands.

Biggest tidbits:

Re-releasing Enter the Realm on Vinyl in April on the 30th anniversary of it's original release.  Newly remastered (again) with new artwork.

Demons & Wizards' prior two albums will be remastered and re-released in 2019 with bonus content and new artwork for the second album.

Demons & Wizards' new album should arrive in January 2020.  Some potential for US dates and an idea floating around for an Iced Earth/Blind Guardian/D&W tour in 2021 for the 20th anniversary of the band's original European tour.  If that were to happen, it would be a small European tour and only a few shows in major US markets.  Big plans for the production of the Wacken show.

There is potential for more Purgatory releases if they have time in the future.  Great stories about how the guys handled the recording of the EP and Gene having to work to get his voice back into singing in that style again.  Purgatory will not play live shows.

Iced Earth re-recording will eventually start with Night of the Stormrider, and future albums will only be re-recorded only if there is enough demand for it.  Bonus tracks on re-recorded albums could include a few new versions of songs with the original singers of those albums (Gene, Matt, etc.) now that he has begun reconnecting with them on a personal level.

Sons of Liberty will eventually remix/remaster the debut and EP and be re-released on vinyl, with future new material being considered.

He believes that he will write music with Matt again someday, but only after he decides to end Iced Earth.  He has no plans to play a show with all former singers of the band, though he could see ending the band with a studio album that features them all.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:09:43 AM by Grappler »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2511 on: January 02, 2019, 08:18:49 AM »
Thanks for the recap, Grapp. Very cool news.

Had my first full listen to the Purgatory EP this morning. Great stuff. Very well done.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #2512 on: January 02, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
All of that sounds great to me. Was kind of expecting Demons and Wizards earlier due to their festival tour this summer, but the current plans sound better to me (first a festival tour with two rereleases, then a new album, then a club tour featuring the new material).

I am one of those people that likes rerecordings. Furthermore, Jon involving some of the musicians originally involved sounds great.

Offline Grappler

Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Enter The Realm 30th Anniversary
« Reply #2513 on: January 02, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »
There was a lot of stuff packed into that interview and some tremendous insight into how things in the music industry work.  One fun little story - a fan asked about Jon's BC Rich Ignitor that he played on Alive in Athens.  He said that when he toured with Volbeat and Hellyeah in Europe several years ago, Michael Poulson mentioned that he was building a new home that would include a bar inside.  Jon had brought the guitar with him on the tour and gave it to Michael as a gift, so the guitar used on Alive in Athens now hangs in Michael Poulson's house.

Alive in Athens will also receive a proper vinyl release.  The original vinyl release was 5 picture discs, and while Jon says that they looked awesome, they sounded poor.  He mentioned that he dislikes that recording due to the band being too excited and pushing the tempos of the songs up, rather than keeping the songs at their original tempos.  I find that amusing because the reason the fans love it so much is because the band is on fire and cranks through those songs at a faster pace.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2514 on: January 03, 2019, 08:23:01 AM »
Agreed on Live in Athens. Glad it will get a proper vinyl release.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2515 on: January 03, 2019, 10:55:01 AM »
What made Live in Ancient Kourion sound like ass, besides Stu, was that they played the songs what seemed to be slower than the studio versions. AiA wouldn't be held in such high regard if it wasn't for the way they played. No one talks about Ancient Kourion.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2516 on: January 03, 2019, 04:01:25 PM »
What made Live in Ancient Kourion sound like ass, besides Stu, was that they played the songs what seemed to be slower than the studio versions. AiA wouldn't be held in such high regard if it wasn't for the way they played. No one talks about Ancient Kourion.

I finally picked up some Stu era IE and he sounds pretty good on the studio albums, but live he sounds to draaaaaMAAAAATiiiiiiIIIIICCC! Pretty annoying.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2517 on: January 03, 2019, 04:15:44 PM »

Yeah it sucks, Festivals is light years better.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2518 on: January 08, 2019, 07:29:46 PM »
Just downloaded the EP from Amazon. I always get physical copies but it's surprisingly expensive unless you buy it from amazon which says it will ship in a month or two.  Weird.

Anyway, love the EP and Gene sounds awesome.  Lyrics are pretty bad but they were teens when they wrote it. It's weird though because their old men now. If you're going to rerecord, maybe switch some things up?

Anyway, I'm unfamiliar with the original songs.  I'm assuming they're on youtube but are they available for purchase anywhere?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2519 on: January 08, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »
Just downloaded the EP from Amazon. I always get physical copies but it's surprisingly expensive unless you buy it from amazon which says it will ship in a month or two.  Weird.

Anyway, love the EP and Gene sounds awesome.  Lyrics are pretty bad but they were teens when they wrote it. It's weird though because their old men now. If you're going to rerecord, maybe switch some things up?

Anyway, I'm unfamiliar with the original songs.  I'm assuming they're on youtube but are they available for purchase anywhere?

I'm not sure why the band is selling it for $15.  I got it for less than $9 from Amazon, and it arrived a week after it's release.  The CD has some great artwork and all of the band members got to write some liner notes, including Greg Seymour, who didn't play on the disc, as he reconnected with Jon after the recording was finished). 

The original demo songs are out on youtube, but the quality is pretty poor.  Hence the reason for re-recording these tunes.  Jon did alter some things - the tempos and arrangements are tighter, and they wrote a new chorus to Dracula.  Just search for the Purgatory Horror Show demo and you'll find most of the tunes.