85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310846 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Incorruptible (June 2017)
« Reply #2450 on: September 19, 2018, 09:20:08 PM »
Umm I believe that's Rob Halford, not Matt.

:lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2451 on: September 20, 2018, 08:41:18 AM »
Anyone else pick up on the Sedona "hiking trip" the Iced Earth guys took? I am wondering if this was Jon's way of telling everyone that IE is on hiatus indefinitely. Something is certainly up.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2452 on: September 20, 2018, 08:47:42 AM »
I saw that, and Luke said something on his Facebook about not seeing the guys for a long time after the trip ended.  Jon's probably in full-on Demons & Wizards writing mode, so the band must be taking another break.  He tends to put a full stop on all touring activities when he's writing music, and the band has nothing scheduled from now through 2019 at least.   With Demons being booked at Wacken and ProgPower USA, I think they may be trying to hit the European festivals next summer.

It's a good thing, since the first Demons album is so much better than the second, and I attribute that to him sitting down and writing those songs with Hansi, rather than sending files back and forth.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2453 on: September 20, 2018, 08:49:02 AM »
IMO Touched by the Crimson King destroys the first album but they're both great.

I think Jon is definitely all-in on Demons & Wizards right now given their big appearance at ProgPower next year, their third album, and very likely big European festival appearances.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2454 on: September 20, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
Wasn't Jon wanting to re-record every one of their pre-Stu block albums anyway? I hope that's been put on indefinite hold.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2455 on: September 20, 2018, 09:21:06 AM »
Wasn't Jon wanting to re-record every one of their pre-Stu block albums anyway? I hope that's been put on indefinite hold.

One? I believe it was the entire catalog up until Horror Show or something like that.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

« Reply #2456 on: September 20, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »

One? I believe it was the entire catalog up until Horror Show or something like that.

Yes, that's why I said every one. ;)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2457 on: September 20, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
Like full re-record with Stu on vox and everything? Please god no, Schaffer, stop with this madness  :facepalm: If he so much as touches Barlow's vox on Something Wicked I'll retch
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2458 on: September 20, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
Like full re-record with Stu on vox and everything? Please god no, Schaffer, stop with this madness  :facepalm: If he so much as touches Barlow's vox on Something Wicked I'll retch

That's the impression I got. Apparently they don't own the original recordings or something and this way they will. I dunno. I am not at all excited about it, especially given how bad their Dante re-recording was.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2459 on: September 20, 2018, 09:32:53 AM »
It's so the other band members can get royalties.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2460 on: September 20, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »

Yes, that's why I said every one. ;)

Ehm.... I have a different version of the forum, it doesn't show the word "every" so I read "re-record one of their pre-Stu albums"  :blush :blush :blush
 :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

« Reply #2461 on: September 20, 2018, 09:43:54 AM »
Ohhh, one of THOSE versions. Yea. I hate when that happens.  :P
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #2462 on: September 20, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
This is from March, but Jon was clear he wanted to focus solely on Demons & Wizards. It also seems they both want to do some touring in 2019 as well. I would say that IE is on hiatus until 2020, most likely.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iced-earths-jon-schaffer-says-demons-wizards-will-be-the-focus-of-his-creative-energy-this-year/
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Adami

« Reply #2463 on: September 20, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »
I sure hope Stu finds another project in that mean time that will allow him better use of his voice.

I actually miss hearing the guy sing well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2464 on: September 20, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
"That was great, but this time channel Matt, and take a bite of this carrot."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2465 on: September 26, 2018, 05:26:40 AM »
Been listening to a bit of IE lately, and I just came here to post that the AIA version of AQOH is simply one of the greatest things I've ever heard.  Matt gives me goosebumps at the end.  So fucking good.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2466 on: September 26, 2018, 05:39:33 AM »
Been listening to a bit of IE lately, and I just came here to post that the AIA version of AQOH is simply one of the greatest things I've ever heard.  Matt gives me goosebumps at the end.  So fucking good.

Yes :metal

I just listened to that last week. I considered sending it in 425's Roulette for his Live Round. Went with Helloween's How Many tears instead.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #2467 on: September 26, 2018, 05:54:24 AM »
I still like the studio version more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2468 on: September 26, 2018, 06:08:22 AM »
One of the few instances in which I prefer the live version - that version - over the studio, but the studio version is also magical.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2469 on: September 26, 2018, 06:10:17 AM »
I think what makes AIA so great is that with the exception of Something Wicked, all of IE's studio albums sound like ass.

I have always called it the Heavy Metal version of Frampton Comes Alive. It's really all you need.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2470 on: September 26, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »

While he completely nailed the song, and I understand that he's human and he has to breathe, I prefer the studio version ending. OH WON'T YOU LET ME DIE, OH WON'T YOU LET ME DIE, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WON'T YOU LET ME DIEEEEE. Live he makes a progression to reach the high note, I prefer more the sudden piercing wail of despair of the studio version.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2471 on: September 26, 2018, 07:19:33 AM »
A bunch of IE songs scream 'fall' to me, because I got into them when I was a kid. I'd throw on my headphones with my IE mix CD in my walkman and rake leaves out in the yard. Angels' Holocaust (Barlow version), Damien, and AQOH in particular all make me think of autumn as a result.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2472 on: September 26, 2018, 07:25:54 AM »

Hands down Matt's finest moment as a singer right there. He poured his heart out at the end of that rendition of the song.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2473 on: September 26, 2018, 07:33:58 AM »

Hands down Matt's finest moment as a singer right there. He poured his heart out at the end of that rendition of the song.

Well, I will never ever dispuste the awesomeness of A Question of Heaven, but also his studio swan song, Come What May, is priceless.

THE HUUUUUUMAN RAAAACEEEE
MUST EVOOOOOOOOOLVEEEEEEEE
MUST EVOOOOLVEEEEEEE

Spine chilling  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2474 on: September 26, 2018, 08:48:43 AM »

Well, I will never ever dispuste the awesomeness of A Question of Heaven, but also his studio swan song, Come What May, is priceless.

THE HUUUUUUMAN RAAAACEEEE
MUST EVOOOOOOOOOLVEEEEEEEE
MUST EVOOOOLVEEEEEEE

Spine chilling  :metal

Oh definitely. I LOVE most of Come What May (the middle instrumental section meanders aimlessly for too long though). And of course, Dracula remains one of Matt's finest accomplishments as a singer too.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2475 on: September 26, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
I think what makes AIA so great is that with the exception of Something Wicked, all of IE's studio albums sound like ass.

What??? The first two, for sure. But the remix of Burnt Offerings sound huge. And while the rest have their issues, they mostly sound fine until you get to some of the ripper era stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2476 on: September 26, 2018, 08:55:02 AM »
I haven’t heard a Burnt Offerings remix. I’m glad they did one because the first one was unlistenable. I may have to find the remix then.

Been a while since I’ve listened to Dark Saga too. I remember it being way too sterile.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2477 on: September 26, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
I haven’t heard a Burnt Offerings remix. I’m glad they did one because the first one was unlistenable. I may have to find the remix then.

Been a while since I’ve listened to Dark Saga too. I remember it being way too sterile.

Oh yea, the original mix of Burnt Offerings is awful. The remix is huge sounding, I love it.

And yea, with a few exceptions, their albums DO tend to sound pretty sterile. I get that. It never ruins it for me, but I can hear it for sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2478 on: September 26, 2018, 07:17:12 PM »
The remixes sound great, and it's amazing they were able to make them sound so great from what they had to work with. It's a shame Jon cut some stuff from Stormrider though, specifically in Travel in Stygian. Dark Saga is a little too quiet, and The Glorious Burden is a little tinny. Once Jon switched to that baritone guitar or whatever, the music lost a bit of a punch. It could also be the bass tone too. Something Wicked sounds beefy, and then after that it's all twangy. I do think the Days of Purgatory mixes sound pretty good too, except for Travel in Stygian. Poor song can't catch a break.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2479 on: September 26, 2018, 09:19:28 PM »

While he completely nailed the song, and I understand that he's human and he has to breathe, I prefer the studio version ending. OH WON'T YOU LET ME DIE, OH WON'T YOU LET ME DIE, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WON'T YOU LET ME DIEEEEE. Live he makes a progression to reach the high note, I prefer more the sudden piercing wail of despair of the studio version.

I get that with the high note, but I still prefer the live version.  Matt destroys the studio version IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2480 on: September 27, 2018, 09:35:50 AM »
John Greely is a Kent Hovind parrot. :(

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2481 on: October 26, 2018, 06:13:48 AM »
WOW!

Jon Schaffer's Purgatory - Dracula   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPjelVJrRUM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2XsT2Ut1BrFtjEL6Z-CKumFdkf-32SB0m9Oaref5MeiSQYG-GobGtKLCo

Jon / Bill Owen / Greg Seymour / Gene Adam

Jon Schaffer’s PURGATORY (pre-Iced Earth) to release five-track EP in December, first song launched today

Century Media Records is proud to announce a very special release: ICED EARTH’s mastermind Jon Schaffer has teamed up with his old pals in PURGATORY, the band that he originally founded in 1985, then later became ICED EARTH, to record five tracks that were written between 1985 and 1987, now to be released as the “Purgatory” EP on December 21st as limited Digipak CD, limited LP (with 180 gram vinyl, 4-page inlay and etching) and digitally. Produced and mixed by Jon Schaffer and Jim Morris and mastered by Zeuss this very fine release showcases the foundation of the invincible metal monster known as ICED EARTH. All five tracks featured on the EP offer real US metal and perfectly capture the spirit of the mid 1980’s with a powerful production, rounded up by liner notes or comments of Jon Schaffer, Gene Adam, Greg Seymour and Bill Owen and a fitting cover artwork by David Newman Stump and Roy Young, known from their excellent work on ICED EARTH’s latest album “Incorruptible”. The greatest surprise might be Gene Adam, ICED EARTH’s original singer who sang on the band’s self-titled debut album from 1990, who delivers his best vocal performance ever. The song “Dracula” can be checked out as of now. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/sPjelVJrRUM

Jon Schaffer’s PURGATORY is for all ICED EARTH maniacs out there, for all fans of real US metal in the vein of Omen, Liege Lord or Savage Grace, and for all metal fans in general – young and old.

“Purgatory” is dedicated to Richard Bateman, the band’s original bass player, who passed away right before the EP went into production. Rest in peace, Richard.

The “Purgatory” EP can be pre-ordered here: https://jonschafferspurgatory.lnk.to/PurgatoryEP

The vinyl version is available in the following colours:

Black vinyl: Unlimited

Transparent-blue vinyl: limited to 100 copies, exclusively available at CM Distro Europe

Transparent-orange vinyl: limited to 200 copies, available at CM Distro Europa *

Clear vinyl: limited to 200 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast

Lilac vinyl: limited to 300 copies, exclusively available in the USA

* a limited amount of 50 copies will be signed by the band and sold through band channels

“Purgatory” tracklist:

1. In Your Dreams (4:55)
 2. Dracula (6:08)
 3. In Jason’s Mind (5:03)
 4. Jack (4:00)
 5. Burning Oasis (5:38)

Jon Schaffer’s PURGATORY is:

Jon Schaffer – Rhythm & Lead Guitars, Vocals
Gene Adam – Lead Vocals
Bill Owen - Lead Guitar

Guest appearances by:

Jim Morris – Lead Guitar
Ruben Drake – Bass Guitar
Mark Prator – Drums

This is awesome.  Gene Adam was always my least favorite of the Iced Earth vocalists, but I love how he sounds on this new recording.  He hasn't lost a thing - those highs and screams are incredible.  Kudos to the Podcast in Stone guys for re-connecting the prior members of Purgatory and Iced Earth with Jon, leading to this new recording of the old Purgatory demos.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:22:55 AM by Grappler »

Offline Grappler

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2483 on: October 26, 2018, 10:54:57 AM »
Neat. Gene does sound better, but not by much. In fact, he still sounds like he's in 1987.

The two new Ashes songs are decent, but haven't got me excited at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns