85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 312826 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Incorruptible (June 2017)
« Reply #2205 on: June 19, 2017, 01:14:07 AM »
I still have to warm up to this album, I hope it will grow on me. So far I like Seven Headed Whore, The Veil, and I already completely LOVE Clear the Way, that song is kickass  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2206 on: June 19, 2017, 03:18:59 AM »
I already completely LOVE Clear the Way, that song is kickass  :metal

I think it goes nowhere after that bagpipe break. Even the faintest momentum that song has dies off when the same thing just gets repeated without any variety. Many say it's one of their best long songs but I'm going completely the other way. The musical ideas just don't mix for the most part, I can just tell from how jagged the arrangement is.

Black Flag is easily my favourite song here.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2207 on: June 19, 2017, 04:02:33 AM »
Well, the first time I was hearing the song, after the chorus I was expecting another round of verse / bridge / chorus, I wasn't expecting the solo break to already arrive. Yes, after the solo it's all the same, but it's a fitting conclusion to the song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: June 19, 2017, 05:12:46 AM »
Picked up a copy of this yesterday.  haven't listened to it yet, but looking forward to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2209 on: June 20, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »
So I watched a new interview with Jon on YouTube last night and he mentioned that part of Jake's audition process for the band required him sending in potential song ideas for Iced Earth and that he was so impressed by what Jake sent in that he was upset that they didn't have the time to really flesh out and finish writing those songs in time for them to make Incorruptible.

So I have a feeling that the next IE album is gonna be pretty baller, provided that Jake's in it for the long haul (which seems to be the case). :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2210 on: June 20, 2017, 02:38:32 PM »
So I watched a new interview with Jon on YouTube last night and he mentioned that part of Jake's audition process for the band required him sending in potential song ideas for Iced Earth and that he was so impressed by what Jake sent in that he was upset that they didn't have the time to really flesh out and finish writing those songs in time for them to make Incorruptible.

So I have a feeling that the next IE album is gonna be pretty baller, provided that Jake's in it for the long haul (which seems to be the case). :metal

That's good to hear. I'm very impressed with Jake.

In regard to the record, I'm warming up to it more now, on the sixth and seventh listen.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2211 on: June 20, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
Jon's been basically writing all the music on his own since Randy Shawver left. A few small ideas here and there from past band members. It would be awesome if Jon got his Randy back.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2212 on: June 20, 2017, 05:15:08 PM »
Jon's been basically writing all the music on his own since Randy Shawver left. A few small ideas here and there from past band members. It would be awesome if Jon got his Randy back.

Well, it looks like Jon's already got his Dave Abdell back in the form of Luke Appleton. Luke co-wrote two of the songs off of Incorruptible; Black Flag and Defiance (Jon mentioned that the latter of which was mostly written by Luke in that interview I mentioned).
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2213 on: June 20, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »

Well, it looks like Jon's already got his Dave Abdell back in the form of Luke Appleton. Luke co-wrote two of the songs off of Incorruptible; Black Flag and Defiance (Jon mentioned that the latter of which was mostly written by Luke in that interview I mentioned).

Good to hear. I haven't watched the interview yet.

I can barely hear Luke on the album. Kinda sucks. They mixed the kick drum way too loud, though, but I do enjoy the album.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 05:40:36 PM by Zook »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2214 on: June 23, 2017, 01:15:31 AM »
I'm warming up to the album... but I'm afraid it's more of getting used to Iced Earth's sound than anything.

I mean, the album is not bad, and it's not a timeless masterpiece that will change the history of heavy metal. It's an Iced Earth album with songs in the Iced Earth style, and hearing it again and again I get accustomed to the songs, but I'm afraid it's more of an habit and that in some months I will have already forgotten about this album.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2215 on: June 23, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »
It has taken me a bit, but finally, after repeated listens, I'm completely enthralled with Incorruptible. The one thing I really like is that for the first time in a long time, I get to an Iced Earth ballad, and don't feel the urge to skip it. The record flows very well, and I'm really enjoying it now.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2216 on: June 23, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »
I keep coming back to Raven Wing.  My mind knows that Clear the Way is the best song on the album, but I just want to hear that big stomping groove that the riffs and drums sync up to, and Stu's vocals and melodies are so good. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2217 on: June 23, 2017, 03:05:14 PM »
It has taken me a bit, but finally, after repeated listens, I'm completely enthralled with Incorruptible. The one thing I really like is that for the first time in a long time, I get to an Iced Earth ballad, and don't feel the urge to skip it. The record flows very well, and I'm really enjoying it now.

Awesome. I've been lukewarm on them for a while now. But this album, with it's simplicity, is so immediate.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2218 on: June 23, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
Having my first listen now.  It's Iced Earth but will need a few listens, as most IE albums do.  Raven Wing an early standout.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2219 on: June 26, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »
Nice interview with Stu, discussing the band, brotherhood, the future of Iced Earth and their independence, lyrical topics, etc.

https://maximummetal.com/interviews/intresults.asp?ID=stublock_iearth&idBand=165

Offline DT89

« Reply #2220 on: June 26, 2017, 10:45:57 PM »
I thought Clear The Way could be improved with a solo, so I wrote my own: https://youtu.be/5cNltIeB8fc

And here's my cover of Seven Headed Whore: https://youtu.be/pgRjQCbo2j4

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: June 27, 2017, 05:22:51 AM »
This album is fucking legit.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2222 on: June 27, 2017, 06:30:07 AM »
This post is fucking legit.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: June 27, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »
This post is fucking legit.

You're fucking legit.  :yarr

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2224 on: June 27, 2017, 08:39:50 AM »
 :metal

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2225 on: June 27, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
Pleasantly surprised by this one. I was previously under the impression that the band would be stuck at middle-of-the-road 'stock IE' stuff due to the past few Stu albums (which are fine, but have very few highlights sticking out of the meh for me), but this one blows all of them out of the water. Thoroughly great riffing throughout, even when retreading the usual stuff, and genuinely surprisingly twists and turns all over the place. Seems like Schaffer and co. are finally ready to push into the proggier side again – I'd love if the next one went full epic and made use of Stu beyond his ability to do both Barlow and Ripper types of things. I think they're on the cusp of another Burnt Offerings or Dark Saga, so let's see that happen!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2226 on: June 27, 2017, 03:30:47 PM »
They're overdue for another trilogy. I love me some trilogies.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2227 on: June 27, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »

With lots of triplets!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: June 28, 2017, 05:16:48 AM »

With lots of triplets!

An Iced Earth fucking legit trilogy of triplets.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: June 28, 2017, 05:23:06 AM »
This album really has one thing that Iced Earth have never really been able to nail IMO, and that's guitar solos.  Don't get me wrong, Randy was cool as was Larry and Ralph was cool on TGB.  Troy really was pretty shit, but he managed to come up with some decent solos on the last album.  My fav solos were actually from Tim Mills on the re-recorded something wicked trilogy, it's a shame he never recorded on some original material, he has chops.

But his Jake fella is also fucking legit.  It is so good to hear these kinds of advanced, well executed and professional solos on Iced Earth's music.  What he's doing really adds to the songs and adds so much to what Iced Earth are doing here and makes the album more diverse and enjoyable.  Definitely have to go back and check that Witherfall album and I really hope this guy can stick around.  A breath of fresh air for this band and their sound.  I know Jon has never been a big advocate on leads but what's on offer here is quite plentiful and works really really well.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2230 on: June 28, 2017, 06:11:00 AM »
Definitely have to go back and check that Witherfall album and I really hope this guy can stick around.  A breath of fresh air for this band and their sound.  I know Jon has never been a big advocate on leads but what's on offer here is quite plentiful and works really really well.

The solos are killer, and I'm pretty sure that Jake will stick around.  Jon recently said that Jake's audition process was late in the production, so he showed up and just laid down the solos, but his audition included submitting ideas for more Iced Earth styled songs, rather than his own (Witherfall).  So Jake gave him some riffs and Jon loved them and wished they could have fleshed them out to put on the album. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2231 on: June 28, 2017, 06:43:59 AM »
Sounds like this is getting some positive reviews. I did not care of Plagues of Babylon but I really like Dystopia.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2232 on: June 28, 2017, 11:48:36 PM »
Sounds like this is getting some positive reviews. I did not care of Plagues of Babylon but I really like Dystopia.

Was the other way round for me.  Check this new one out for sure.

Definitely have to go back and check that Witherfall album and I really hope this guy can stick around.  A breath of fresh air for this band and their sound.  I know Jon has never been a big advocate on leads but what's on offer here is quite plentiful and works really really well.

The solos are killer, and I'm pretty sure that Jake will stick around.  Jon recently said that Jake's audition process was late in the production, so he showed up and just laid down the solos, but his audition included submitting ideas for more Iced Earth styled songs, rather than his own (Witherfall).  So Jake gave him some riffs and Jon loved them and wished they could have fleshed them out to put on the album. 

Nice.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2233 on: July 04, 2017, 01:38:29 AM »
I guess today it's a nice excuse to blast out Declaration Day  :metal (I've heard Ripper doing it live and man, he was wailing like a badass m0th€rfokker on the final verse!!!)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: July 04, 2017, 05:31:26 AM »
I guess today it's a nice excuse to blast out Declaration Day  :metal (I've heard Ripper doing it live and man, he was wailing like a badass m0th€rfokker on the final verse!!!)

Ripper live in general is a badass all over.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2235 on: July 04, 2017, 05:33:59 AM »
Absolutely true.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: July 04, 2017, 05:58:39 AM »
My first concert ever was Priests Demolition tour, holy shit he was amazing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2237 on: July 05, 2017, 09:59:21 PM »
Anyone hear the live covers he did for Roadrunner United? King Diamond should have sold his vocal cords on ebay after that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2238 on: July 06, 2017, 05:00:50 AM »
Anyone hear the live covers he did for Roadrunner United? King Diamond should have sold his vocal cords on ebay after that.

Yeah, that's a great DVD.  He did an amazing version of Abigail.