85 (66.4%)
Tim "Ripper" Owens
15 (11.7%)
Stu Block
15 (11.7%)
Comedy Option: Jon Schaffer
12 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Author Topic: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. "Tastes Like Treason!"  (Read 310655 times)

Offline EVILPROGBOY

Re: The Official Iced Earth Thread v. Incorruptible (June 2017)
« Reply #2170 on: June 13, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
This is the most un-Iced Earth sounding album ever, but it's actually not bad.

Didn't realise we were that close to the release.  Looking forward to it.

Interesting comment.  What is it sounding like mate?

The Guitar solos are epic.

I've only listened once so far, but this album sounds very inspired. The guitar solos aren't an after thought, Brent sounds more human, Stu, while still doing some... Stuisms still sounds the most natural he's been since joining. Again, I only listened once, but that's the impression I got I don't remember very many triplets either lol.

Also, Clear the Way is awesome!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2171 on: June 13, 2017, 11:13:17 AM »
new interview with Stu Block from That Drummer Guy (JRundquist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1XidR7Wv8U

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2172 on: June 13, 2017, 11:51:48 AM »
Clear the Way is pretty good! It pales compared to Gettysburg but it's quite a nice song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Art

« Reply #2173 on: June 13, 2017, 12:00:05 PM »
Clear the Way is pretty good!

Yep, my favorite so far from the new album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2174 on: June 13, 2017, 04:24:48 PM »
Clear the Way is pretty good! It pales compared to Gettysburg but it's quite a nice song.

Just saw the lyric video. Wow. Gave me goosebumps.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2175 on: June 13, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
Clear the Way is fucking awesome.  The instrumental section in the middle has a very Irish/folk feel to it, married perfectly to the iced Earth sound and riffing.  Love Stu's vocals on this one.  Total Iced Earth epic song - it doesn't have to beat Gettysburg to be a great IE epic, and honestly, no song Jon writes will ever touch that trilogy.  I don't expect him to beat it, but songs like these that have that same vibe are great to have.

And those gang vocals - I can see this as a killer live song with fists pumping - FORWARD...CLEAR...THE...WAY!

I preordered this through Amazon, though I'm not sure when the hell the cd is going to show up since it's included with some other things I ordered.  Oh well, I can be patient...but I need this disc! 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2176 on: June 13, 2017, 04:50:19 PM »
   Total Iced Earth epic song - it doesn't have to beat Gettysburg to be a great IE epic, and honestly, no song Jon writes will ever touch that trilogy.   

I agree. Clear The Way has convinced my to pick this up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2177 on: June 13, 2017, 05:00:45 PM »
Here's the link for the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmljtVrxul0

Listening now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2178 on: June 13, 2017, 05:09:38 PM »
Pretty good.  Sounding like a solid IE album, but this doesn't have anything on Gettysburg IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2179 on: June 14, 2017, 01:12:10 AM »
The fun thing about the first listening was that I was listening to the verses, then the title gets said and I think "Well, is this the chorus? it's a bit meh..." and then I realized it was the bridge, and I thought "Well, maybe the chorus explodes into something bombastic"... and it does!!!! and then comes the "second part" of the song and it's even better!!!  :metal I love when these things happen, high expectations fully satisfied  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #2180 on: June 14, 2017, 12:45:38 PM »
new interview with Stu Block from That Drummer Guy (JRundquist)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1XidR7Wv8U

That's a great interview! Stu is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Even if we tend to rag on him sometimes here for how he handles certain songs, the guy is an incredibly gifted singer and a pretty humble dude. Loved that bit in the interview where he was gushing over how great a singer Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge is.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #2181 on: June 14, 2017, 01:37:50 PM »
I know I don't "rag" on Stu. Been impressed since I first heard him with ICED EARTH. Saw his other band open for DT and Redemption back in 2007, and wasn't impressed. But with IE, he's been great. Incredible singer. I'll check out the interview.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2182 on: June 14, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »
  Loved that bit in the interview where he was gushing over how great a singer Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge is.

Obviously the tipping point for..

I'll check out the interview.

;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2183 on: June 14, 2017, 03:02:38 PM »
I saw this version of Iced Earth only once, but Stu positively impressed me. An hell of a singer, a good and entertaining frontman, and dripping enthusiasm all over. It felt like he was one of us that instead of being in the pit, was there on stage singing. I consider him the way I consider Tommy Karevik in Kamelot: a miracolous replacement of an irreplaceable singer.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2184 on: June 14, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »
  Loved that bit in the interview where he was gushing over how great a singer Myles Kennedy of Alter Bridge is.

;D

I saw that earlier today on this topic and thought "oh, if that doesn't increase Samsara's bro-crush on Stu, I don't know what will."

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2185 on: June 14, 2017, 05:38:09 PM »
I know I don't "rag" on Stu. Been impressed since I first heard him with ICED EARTH. Saw his other band open for DT and Redemption back in 2007, and wasn't impressed. But with IE, he's been great. Incredible singer. I'll check out the interview.

I think it's largely Zook, wolfking and sometimes myself that rag on Stu. My opinion on the matter has changed a couple of times over the years, but I would always agree that he's an incredible singer. The issue is whether or not you're cool with his particular way of channeling Matt Barlow in certain instances.

But as I said, the man is an incredible singer. One of the best in the metal scene these days, imo.

And more importantly, Stu's also a pretty great human being as far as my personal experiences go. I used to talk with him a lot on Facebook when he first joined Iced Earth in Spring/Summer of 2011 and he was always really responsive and fun to talk to. Then when I finally got to see him and the rest of the band live the following March in 2012, he recognized and remembered me right away during the VIP Meet-and-Greet and talked with me for a little while, which then led to Troy Seele and Freddie Vidales both talking to me for awhile longer after the Meet-and-Greet had ended.

So yeah, lot of admiration and respect for Stu on my end, even if I sometimes have been a tad critical in the past. At this point though, I've come to accept how he sings in IE for what it is and just have fun. :metal :tup

;D

;D

I saw that earlier today on this topic and thought "oh, if that doesn't increase Samsara's bro-crush on Stu, I don't know what will."

:rollin :rollin :rollin

And the best part was that I actually mentioned that bit on purpose, because I knew it'd elicit brownie points from Samsara. :biggrin:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2186 on: June 14, 2017, 06:23:41 PM »
Stu sounds the best he's been since joining the band. There are a few instances where he has that food in mouth sound, but overall, I think he's finally come into his own, and the Barlowisms are almost gone.

That's Jon singing as well on Clear the Way right?

Also a bit of Where Eagles Dare in Black Flag.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2187 on: June 14, 2017, 06:31:29 PM »
I am one who has very much ragged on Stu.

But I do it because I KNOW he's one of the best singers in metal. The dude is just insanely talented and I'm constantly let down by what he's allowed to do or told to in Iced Earth. I think he largely sounds goofy in Iced Earth, though I haven't listened to the new album.

And yes, he is an awesome dude as well. I remember e-mailing back and forth with him well before he joined Iced Earth and he was just a super sweet guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2188 on: June 14, 2017, 06:42:07 PM »
My opinion on the matter has changed a couple of times over the years, but I would always agree that he's an incredible singer. The issue is whether or not you're cool with his particular way of channeling Matt Barlow in certain instances.

That's my only criticism of him, and I think part of it is just how he sounds when he sings in that range.  I prefer how he sounds on Pure Evil, which is a little more aggressive and raspy.  I'd like to hear him just sing like that more often, rather than do the Barlow thing - it reminds me of John Greely's vocals on the original Stormrider disc, which aren't bad at all. 

Aside from that, Stu makes it look so easy to sing those songs, and he's a great singer for this band.  Hopefully the last one too.   :)

I'm constantly let down by what he's allowed to do or told to in Iced Earth. I think he largely sounds goofy in Iced Earth, though I haven't listened to the new album.

I read an interesting opinion from Iced Earth's former webmaster during the Barlow-era once on another forum during the Ripper years.  Jon's always stated that he hears this archetypical "voice" that is how a singer in Iced Earth should sound.  He doesn't write for a singer's voice like so many fans think he does, he just writes and expects his singers to sound like this voice in his head.  The former webmaster figured that the archetypical voice sounds more like Ripper Owens than it did Matt Barlow.  But when Barlow joined and started singing, Jon discovered Matt's best range is in the lower areas, rather than the higher areas.  So why not exploit that (re: Dark Saga onward) and fans ended up loving it. 

I think you're definitely on the right course in thinking that Stu is directed to sing songs in a particular manner (especially when Jon writes the vocal melodies, which he always does during writing sessions - in past years, songs where he couldn't figure out a melody went to Hansi to write melodies for inclusion in Demons and Wizards), and he and Jon probably work together to develop what they think is best for the song. 

Seven Headed Whore is a nice way for Stu to cut loose with some more extreme vocals within the confines of Iced Earth.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 06:49:56 PM by Grappler »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2189 on: June 14, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »
he and Jon probably work together to develop what they think is best for the song. 

And I disagree with sooooo many of those choices recently.

I mean, look at Ripper. Dude showed up and crushed it with his own natural voice. Never did he try to do a Barlow or force a range that wasn't natural for him. If IE just let Stu sing in his natural range without trying to push the low register stuff, I'd like it a little more. Sadly the writing recently isn't my thing either, but it'd be better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2190 on: June 15, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »
I will agree that Stu sounds...restrained at times. Is that Jon encouraging him to emulate Barlow? Maybe. Or maybe it's Stu purposefully trying to give people the closest rendition to the records and the classic singer that he possibly can.

Remember, Stu was a fan, before becoming the singer. Yeah, there are too many instances of Stu saying "brothers and sisters" like Barlow -- it's hard to deny that, and I cringe when I hear it. But the criticism is a bit overblown IMO, even if I appreciate the points those criticizing are making.

On another note -- got my copy of Incorruptible pre-ordered for delivery tomorrow. I only heard Seven Headed Whore once (and not the whole thing). I didn't really like it during that brief exposure, but I can't wait to listen to the whole album Friday night!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Art

« Reply #2191 on: June 16, 2017, 07:02:48 AM »
I heard the new album. It's not yet the great comeback that Iced Earth needs, IMHO, but a step in a good direction. I ned more listens, but this might be their best material with Stu. As of now, i put it definetely above Plagues, but i don't know if beats Dystopia.

The pros:

- Good Production
- Probably the best solos on an IE album, ever.
- Stu is sounding very good.
- Clear The Way kicks major ass and it is, IMHO, the best track they've written with Stu.

The cons:

- Still find the songwriting a bit too simplistic at most times. Jon can write much more sophisticated stuff than this (Clear The Way is proof).
- Too many ballads/slow paced songs. It gets kind of boring at times.

All things considered, it's a fairly standard current IE record, repeating some of the not so good stuff from the last records, but it also shows that they can still write some pretty cool heavy/epic stuff when they want it. I think Jon could use a little more ambition, he has a good enough band right now to try something more bold.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:01:33 AM by Art »

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2192 on: June 16, 2017, 08:28:04 AM »
All things considered, it's a fairly standard current IE record, repeating some of the not so good stuff from the last records, but it also shows that they can still write some pretty cool heavy/epic stuff when they want it. I think Jon could use a little more ambition, he has a good enough band right now to try something more bold.

I think I agree with this - Amazon gave me the autorip feature, so I'm listening through the disc for the first time and up to Ghost Dance.  I would definitely like to see Jon inspired more, but I don't think this is a boring record.  I'm noticing some faster paced stuff more than any mid-tempo songs, but maybe my ears are looking for that.  I definitely agree that Jon has settled into a songwriting groove where the mid-tempo stuff with simpler riffs are what he wants to write now, but I'll take that.  Iced Earth has always had those songs since the mid-late 90's with stuff like Last December and carrying on through Dark Saga, with some faster stuff peppered throughout the album. 

Incorruptible seems to have a nice balance where the mid-tempo stuff is spread throughout the album and a faster paced song comes after a slower chugger (Brothers followed by Defiance, etc.).

All in all, this disc gets a big  :metal from me after feeling like Plagues was a bit of a letdown.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2193 on: June 16, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »
Mine arrives tonight, but I FORGOT about autorip. I will go login and get it now...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2194 on: June 16, 2017, 09:47:54 AM »
Incorruptible is definitely the best with Stu. Dystopia being the worst. I thought Plagues was way better than Dystopia. I even liked the drummer.

Brent sounds great on incorruptible though. I'm glad the machine guns weren't used this time around.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2195 on: June 16, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »
Incorruptible is definitely the best with Stu. Dystopia being the worst. I thought Plagues was way better than Dystopia. I even liked the drummer.

Brent sounds great on incorruptible though. I'm glad the machine guns weren't used this time around.

I'm really digging this record.  I thought Dystopia was awesome and the closest thing we'd had to a SWTWC vibe - just a bunch of kickass songs without a concept, though it was themed via dystopian stories.  Plagues has some killer songs, but the last half felt a bit dull, though Chuthlu gives it a big kick in the nuts.  I had no use for the SOL cover.  Seeing them on that tour made me feel that the long days on the road have burned them out a bit (though Jon's injuries likely tempered the performance), but Incorruptible feels like they're back to kicking ass again.

Incorruptible is very much in the same vein as Dystopia.  Ghost Dance is killer.  Each time I listen to the album today I find something else I like.  Even the slower songs have parts that break up the monotony a bit, whether it's big chunky riff, or a faster part or solo section (If I Could See You didn't have that).  I've been an Iced Earth fan for 19 years, so I'm long past the hankering for Stomrider Part 8 each time an album comes out even though I'd love to hear that again.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2196 on: June 16, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »

I'm really digging this record.  I thought Dystopia was awesome and the closest thing we'd had to a SWTWC vibe - just a bunch of kickass songs without a concept, though it was themed via dystopian stories.  Plagues has some killer songs, but the last half felt a bit dull, though Chuthlu gives it a big kick in the nuts.  I had no use for the SOL cover.  Seeing them on that tour made me feel that the long days on the road have burned them out a bit (though Jon's injuries likely tempered the performance), but Incorruptible feels like they're back to kicking ass again.

Incorruptible is very much in the same vein as Dystopia.  Ghost Dance is killer.  Each time I listen to the album today I find something else I like.  Even the slower songs have parts that break up the monotony a bit, whether it's big chunky riff, or a faster part or solo section (If I Could See You didn't have that).  I've been an Iced Earth fan for 19 years, so I'm long past the hankering for Stomrider Part 8 each time an album comes out even though I'd love to hear that again.

13 year fan here. I've accepted that we likely will never get a Stormrider 2, but I don't necessarily want that. When Jon is on point, he's really on point. I miss the riff master, and he's substituted that with songwriting as in strong vocal melodies and whatnot. I think that last time Jon wrote really badass riffs were the Something Wicked Trilogy. Incorruptible shows that he still has it, and if he can keep this line up, we can get another Stormrider type masterpiece.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2197 on: June 16, 2017, 02:21:19 PM »
I got on board with IE with The Glorious Burden (thank you Grappler). To me, at least in regard to the Stu-fronted records, this one is better than Plagues. I'm not quite sure it is as good as Dystopia, but it'll take some time to evaluate. I'm only on my third listen...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Art

« Reply #2198 on: June 16, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
I got into IE because Spawn was on the cover of Dark Saga :blush

It was before the release of SWTWC, so it probably was around 96/97...holy shit it's been 20 years!  :o

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2199 on: June 18, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
Bought this on iTunes today. Just had my first listen and Damn, this album is awesome.

This is balls to the wall metal. It has a simplicity about it. I felt like the latter Ripper albums were way to busy for me. I bought Dystopia, listened once, and skipped Plagues altogether.

But there's something about Incorruptible that is really inviting.

Also, since I bought on iTunes, can someone please post the band lineup for me? Producer? Where recorded?

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2200 on: June 18, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
This one I really like.  I haven't loved the Stu CDs but this may be their most cohesive since SWTWC; even if not, this is a really good one.  Everyone, including me, loves Clear the Way but the rest is really good too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2201 on: June 18, 2017, 07:40:03 PM »
This one I really like.  I haven't loved the Stu CDs but this may be their most cohesive since SWTWC; even if not, this is a really good one.  Everyone, including me, loves Clear the Way but the rest is really good too.

So, better than the new Styx? ;D

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #2202 on: June 18, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »

So, better than the new Styx? ;D

Yeah, just a little. I actually enjoy listening to this  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #2203 on: June 18, 2017, 08:24:15 PM »
Bought this on iTunes today. Just had my first listen and Damn, this album is awesome.

This is balls to the wall metal. It has a simplicity about it. I felt like the latter Ripper albums were way to busy for me. I bought Dystopia, listened once, and skipped Plagues altogether.

But there's something about Incorruptible that is really inviting.

Also, since I bought on iTunes, can someone please post the band lineup for me? Producer? Where recorded?

Sure thing, man! The band lineup is:

Stu Block - Vocals
Jon Schaffer - Rhythm Guitar
Jake Dreyer (also of Witherfall) - Lead Guitar
Luke Appleton - Bass
Brent Smedley - Drums

Schaffer produced the album entirely on his own and if memory serves me right, the band built themselves their own studio to act as the band's HQ from here on out and record the albums there and this is the first album they've made there.

And yeah, listening to Incorruptible, I quite like it. It's not on the level of Night of the Stormrider or Burnt Offerings for me, but it's a strong entry just the same. Definitely Stu's best since he joined the band.

Jake, unsurprisingly, is by far the best lead guitarist the band's ever had and crushes it on this album. I think we'll probably see Jake contribute to the songwriting on the next album, seeing as how he sent Jon the recordings for Witherfall's "End of Time" and "What We Are Dying For" as part of his audition in the band. So yeah, the prospects of Jake potentially joining in the writing for IE really excite me.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Grappler

« Reply #2204 on: June 18, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »

I don't have the actual CD yet, but I know that it was recorded at Independence Hall, the band's new headquarters and home studio.  Jon built it in Indiana last year - living quarters, storage, rehearsal space, recording studio.  This is the band's last album on their record contract with Century Media and he seems to be ready to be fully independent (think Metallica on a much smaller scale - recording on your own and then pressing records on your own label).