General > General Music Discussion

zxlkho's top 50 songs v. I wasn't quick

(1/33) > >>

zxlkho:
Welcome to my top 50 songs list. I hope you all don’t mind me starting this randomly. I promise I’ll update this regularly, probably every day at least once. I really have been wanted to make a list like this for a while for fun, and when I finally did, I wanted to share it. It will be much different than my top 50 albums list.

This list will be different than what you might expect. In some updates, there won’t be songs, but a run of songs from an album (2 or 3 maximum). I think I only did this 5 times here, though, and it’s only done when the songs are sequential and flow extremely well into each other.

Anyway, here we go!

50.   Alcest – Écailles de lune - “Écailles de lune - part 2:”
Alcest is certainly an interesting band. I’ve never heard a mix of genres quite like them. This particular song displays a great deal of their black metal side about :49 seconds in, after a beautiful ambient intro. The vocals are a real highlight here as well. I don’t normally like black metal vocals much (other than one other band who’s songs are upcoming), but these are particularly well done, and balanced very well with the clean vocals that come in later. While this is my favorite Alcest song, the ranking doesn’t nearly justify how good this band is. All of the material I’ve heard from them (2 albums and 1 EP) is fantastic, and they would probably be in my top 20 favorite bands.

49.    Sevendust – Animosity – “Angel's Son:”
This is a band that I think does mainstream rock/metal very, very well. They’ve been around a while and have a very unique sound. Angel’s Son is a very different song for them, though, starting out acoustic and not featuring any growls/screams/etc. Lajon Witherspoon’s voice is the obvious highlight, pretty much carrying the song on his own. This was one of my favorite songs a few years ago, and even though I don’t listen to the band that much anymore, this song still gets played fairly regularly. I love it.

48.    This Will Destroy You – This Will Destroy You – “Burial On The Presidio Banks:”
This is one of the best post-rock songs you could ask for. It’s fairly simple in its design, but is executed so well. That’s one thing I don’t understand about critics of post-rock. To me, every post-rock band I’ve heard has their own identity and sounds very different from the others, but most critics would label a band like TWDY or Explosions in the Sky as “generic” or “entry level” post-rock. Anyway, this song is very slow in its buildup, but it definitely pays off in the climax at around 6:20 or so when all the distortion comes in. Fantastic song.

SPNKr:
I haven't heard Sevendust but TWDY and Alcest = :tup indeed.

Ħ:
Haven't heard any of these...

Sigz:
I remember hearing a bit of sevendust back in like 7th grade, but never really paid attention to them.

zxlkho:
Click the links and listen to the songs. I went and put in all the links for you guys so you could listen if you haven't heard it. :lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version