Author Topic: zxlkho's top 50 songs v. I wasn't quick  (Read 10714 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
zxlkho's top 50 songs v. I wasn't quick
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:26:25 AM »
Welcome to my top 50 songs list. I hope you all don’t mind me starting this randomly. I promise I’ll update this regularly, probably every day at least once. I really have been wanted to make a list like this for a while for fun, and when I finally did, I wanted to share it. It will be much different than my top 50 albums list.

This list will be different than what you might expect. In some updates, there won’t be songs, but a run of songs from an album (2 or 3 maximum). I think I only did this 5 times here, though, and it’s only done when the songs are sequential and flow extremely well into each other.

Anyway, here we go!

50.   Alcest – Écailles de lune - “Écailles de lune - part 2:”
Alcest is certainly an interesting band. I’ve never heard a mix of genres quite like them. This particular song displays a great deal of their black metal side about :49 seconds in, after a beautiful ambient intro. The vocals are a real highlight here as well. I don’t normally like black metal vocals much (other than one other band who’s songs are upcoming), but these are particularly well done, and balanced very well with the clean vocals that come in later. While this is my favorite Alcest song, the ranking doesn’t nearly justify how good this band is. All of the material I’ve heard from them (2 albums and 1 EP) is fantastic, and they would probably be in my top 20 favorite bands.

49.    Sevendust – Animosity – “Angel's Son:”
This is a band that I think does mainstream rock/metal very, very well. They’ve been around a while and have a very unique sound. Angel’s Son is a very different song for them, though, starting out acoustic and not featuring any growls/screams/etc. Lajon Witherspoon’s voice is the obvious highlight, pretty much carrying the song on his own. This was one of my favorite songs a few years ago, and even though I don’t listen to the band that much anymore, this song still gets played fairly regularly. I love it.

48.    This Will Destroy You – This Will Destroy You – “Burial On The Presidio Banks:”
This is one of the best post-rock songs you could ask for. It’s fairly simple in its design, but is executed so well. That’s one thing I don’t understand about critics of post-rock. To me, every post-rock band I’ve heard has their own identity and sounds very different from the others, but most critics would label a band like TWDY or Explosions in the Sky as “generic” or “entry level” post-rock. Anyway, this song is very slow in its buildup, but it definitely pays off in the climax at around 6:20 or so when all the distortion comes in. Fantastic song.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:04:16 PM by zxlkho »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Re: zxlkho's top 50 songs v. I'll be quick I promise
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:32:07 AM »
I haven't heard Sevendust but TWDY and Alcest = :tup indeed.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:14 AM »
Haven't heard any of these...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:37:40 AM »
I remember hearing a bit of sevendust back in like 7th grade, but never really paid attention to them.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:41:46 AM »
Click the links and listen to the songs. I went and put in all the links for you guys so you could listen if you haven't heard it. :lol
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:48:54 AM »
I will be following! Awesome!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:55:43 AM »
Click the links and listen to the songs. I went and put in all the links for you guys so you could listen if you haven't heard it. :lol

Sorry I'm listening to trance, which takes precedent over everything.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 01:00:46 AM »
That sevendust song actually isn't bad, good stuff.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 01:41:59 AM »
I wonder what song will be nr1...  ;)

In all seriousness, I'll follow this thread, and I really like your idea of putting a link next to the song, because I think it encourages everyone else to actually check it out.
So yeah, cool picks, cool idea, will follow.  :tup

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:14:59 AM »
Will follow! :tup

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 07:30:03 AM »
I will be following this list with intense interest.

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 07:30:46 AM »
I'll be following this. . . .

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 07:38:36 AM »
I'll be following this. . . .

are you stalking me..?

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »

47.   Thrice – Major/Minor – “Words in the Water:”
And here’s the first song from 2011 on this list. I believe there’s 2 more after this. Thrice’s new album, not even technically released until next week, might be their best one overall. It’s best described as a mix of Beggars and Vheissu, which were my two favorite albums from them anyway. This song is the best one from the album along with “Anthology” Unfortunately, I can’t provide a link for this song, but it’s highly recommended to those that haven’t heard it. I can provide a link to their official Souncloud page though, where they’re streaming most of the songs from their new album. https://soundcloud.com/vagrantrecords/sets/thrice-major-minor-album/

46.   Gojira – From Mars to Sirius – “Flying Whales:”
Gojira’s best song, easily. When I think of epic intros to a heavy song, this is right at the top of the list. The atmosphere they create in the first two and a half minutes is incredible. After this, some extremely heavy riffs come in and punch you right in the face. This is one metal song I’ll never get sick of.

45.   The Tallest Man on Earth – The Wild Hunt – “Love is All:”
This is a folk artist who I imagine is pretty hard for some to get into. Yes, his voice is very grating, but he pours his heart and soul into every song, and he released one of the best albums from 2010. Ever since I first heard “Love is All” it’s been my favorite from him, even though most probably like “King of Spain” or others more. Fantastic folk song. Check it out if you haven’t heard it.

44.   Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream – “Mayonaise:”
I’ve always loved this band’s early material from Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, but never enough to put it on a list like this. This song only really hit me recently when Zander played it one night during a turntable.fm session. Not sure why it hit me only then, tbh. This is an extremely emotional song where Billy Corgan really shows off his Shoegaze influences. Unfortunately I couldn’t find a link to this song, but you guys should go check it out anyway, it’s really incredible.
I AM A GUY

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
1. Following with interest.

2. Sevendust fucking rules.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 09:52:20 AM »
Good list so far. Mayonnaise is one of the greatest songs ever written.  :heart

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 09:55:26 AM »
Tallest Man, Gojira and Thrice??

:heart :heart :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 12:19:16 PM »
Cool picks, Tallest Man especially.
Love is All is also my favorite, such a fantastic song, and I rank it the highest out of his songs, closely followed by "Where Do My Bluebird Fly?"

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »
Gojira. Fucking Gojira. Don't agree that Flying Whales is their best song, but it is the song that got me into the band in the first place, and it is fantastic.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 04:10:01 PM »
I wanna hear the new Thrice album SO MUCH but alas I need to work through the rest of their discog first

will be following

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »
I wanna hear the new Thrice album SO MUCH but alas I need to work through the rest of their discog first

will be following

I'd say it's probably a good starting point, though.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 04:12:56 PM »
1. Fuck you.

2. Ryan.

3. Thrice.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 04:34:37 PM »

will be following

NO DO M/M ASAP

1. Fuck you.

2. Ryan.

3. Thrice.

lolu
I AM A GUY

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
You've posted a couple really awesome songs already, so definitely following with interest.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
UPDATE TIEM

43.   Iron Maiden – Piece of Mind – “Revelations:”
To this day, Iron Maiden remains one of my favorite metal bands. Seeing them live definitely helped cement them in that position. “Revelations” pretty easily my favorite Maiden song, even though it’s from one of my least favorite classic Maiden albums. Bruce Dickinson is the obvious highlight, with a brilliant vocal performance here, and very well written lyrics. (among Maiden’s best imo)

42.   Shinedown – Leave a Whisper – “Simple Man” (Lynyrd Skynyrd cover):
This is quite simply one of the best cover songs I’ve ever heard. Brent Smith’s vocals are extremely powerful, and I’ve never heard anything quite like it. It’s a shame he’s had trouble performing this song live, because I’d really like to see it. Both times I’ve seen Shinedown they skipped it in the set :\. Amazing song, check it out if you haven’t heard it.

41.   Opeth – Still Life – “The Moor:”
It took me quite a while to get into this song, surprisingly. For the longest time, I considered it one of the worst on Still Life (I know, I’m an idiot), but now I worship this song. Every riff is absolutely epic. I really hope they play this live when I see them in a few weeks. :caffeine:

I AM A GUY

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
The Moor is perfectly constructed. It's a bunch of different ideas thrown into one song, but it all flows so well. It's a good example of how Opeth combines several different styles into their music.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »
The Kevin Moor :metal

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
The Moor is perfectly constructed. It's a bunch of different ideas thrown into one song, but it all flows so well. It's a good example of how Opeth combines several different styles into their music.

Maybe they can teach Dream Theatre a thing or two about throwing different ideas into a song.
I AM A GUY

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 05:32:19 PM »
The Moor is the first Opeth song I heard. :tup

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 05:34:12 PM »

Maybe they can teach Dream Theatre a thing or two about throwing different ideas into a song.

Classtime with Mr. Akerfeldt! That's one class I'd never skip.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 05:34:46 PM »
Professor Akerfeldt. :lol :lol

I'm going to call him this from now on.
I AM A GUY

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 05:50:08 PM »
The Moor  :tup

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
Guys, if you haven't heard some of these songs, I urge you to check them out. That's why I'm providing the links for you! :P

40.   Bon Iver – Bon Iver, Bon Iver – “Perth:”
The second song from 2011! I just discovered this band when the new album came out, so they’re still really new to me, but this is easily the best song on the new album. I have a very specific image in my head while listening to this. I picture listening to this while still drunk after a party where I didn’t enjoy myself, and the sun is rising off in the distance. It was some member here that described that scenario for a different song, but I link it this song more than any other. Beautiful, beautiful song.

39.   Riverside – Second Life Syndrome – “Second Life Syndrome:”
This is the undisputed heavyweight king of all modern prog epics imo. Every possible emotion that you would want in a song is here. I feel like the main different between a band like Riverside and other modern prog bands (including DT) is that they know how to have a constant theme throughout a long song, and all of the various movements that the songs go through actually flow into each other and make sense. Also Mariusz Dude is a really excellent vocalist and he displays it here.

38.    Katatonia – The Great Cold Distance – “In the White:”
This song has one of the coolest basslines in it I’ve ever heard. It runs throughout the song constantly during every verse, and the heavy guitars match it during the chorus. What makes this song so great (and the band in general) is the subtle, soothing vocals of Jonas Renske. It’s a strange thing to hear at the same time as a heavy guitar like that, but the atmosphere it creates is incredible. Brilliant song.

I AM A GUY

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:25 PM »
I bet #1 is going to be: 1. Muse - The Resistance

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »
I forgot to add:

I can't wait to see Katatonia open for Opeth! :caffeine:
I AM A GUY