Author Topic: Outcry Appeciation Thread  (Read 24402 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Outcry Appeciation Thread
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28:40 AM »
Well, in reference to the Tootsie Pop owl (wonder how many of you know what the heck I'm referring to), how many licks (listens) does it take to get to the center of the song Outcry?

OMGURSOOLD!!!!1!!!!!1  :P

:lol Wonder if that means you knew what I was talking about, making USOOLD2!!!   :P

'90s kids are old now?

Fuck.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »
Maybe it's already been posted but does anyone else feel the part right after "as our children die..." will an awesome live fan-chanting moment?

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2011, 05:03:18 PM »
Did any of you catch the references to multiple other albums in this song, mainly in the instrumental section and most obviously the end of SDOIT (disc 2) at the end of the song?

Theres one run of notes that is from octavarium (the song), and other references I forgot because I've only heard it twice... this is aside from the metropolis sounding parts near the beginning of the song.  EDIT: I think there was a part that referenced Home actually, distorted and at higher speed, much like the distorted and higher speed references to metropolis in the song.  I still can't remember others, there was a reference to something in SC as well.

I havent heard a reference to every single album, but, if they've referenced this many they probably did reference them all.

P.S. don't blast me for hearing this stuff in the song.  for all I know this is going to get a "duh we knew that already response" or a "wtf are you smoking" response.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
Well, in reference to the Tootsie Pop owl (wonder how many of you know what the heck I'm referring to), how many licks (listens) does it take to get to the center of the song Outcry?

OMGURSOOLD!!!!1!!!!!1  :P
[/quote]

:lol Wonder if that means you knew what I was talking about, making USOOLD2!!!   :P

Yup. /sigh
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2011, 07:39:23 PM »
'90s kids are old now?

Fuck.

70's son.  And, um, before that.  :|
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
"It's an outcry from the world we thought we'd inherit
It's an outcry from the way we thought we'd share it."

Sorry--wrong song  ::)
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2011, 07:56:33 PM »
"It's an outcry from the world we thought we'd inherit
It's an outcry from the way we thought we'd share it."

Sorry--wrong song  ::)

lolcry :lol

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2011, 01:00:43 AM »
Best chorus on the album, and maybe my favorite DT chorus.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2011, 05:48:53 AM »
Tied at favorite from the album along with Breaking All Illusions
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline edu

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2011, 05:55:52 AM »
It´s my third favourite, after BAI y BITS. The keybords in the epic part in teh intro sound kind of  "disney" to me, but in a good way.
Crossing bridges in the sky
On a journey to renew my life

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2011, 06:50:02 AM »
Tied at favorite from the album along with Breaking All Illusions
This.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2011, 06:52:13 AM »
'90s kids are old now?

Fuck.

I was just referring to the Tootsie Pop Owl.  Those commercials were still on TV in the '90s, so I wasn't sure how remembering them was supposed to make anyone 'old.'

Also, Outcry is finally beginning to click with me.  It feels good.  =D
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:13 AM »
Anyone else equate some of JR's intro parts to this....?

@ .26 - Automatic weapons fire from afar

@ .30 - Radio static

@ . 39 - Helicopter flying overhead

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2011, 09:52:57 AM »
Did any of you catch the references to multiple other albums in this song, mainly in the instrumental section and most obviously the end of SDOIT (disc 2) at the end of the song?

Theres one run of notes that is from octavarium (the song), and other references I forgot because I've only heard it twice... this is aside from the metropolis sounding parts near the beginning of the song.  EDIT: I think there was a part that referenced Home actually, distorted and at higher speed, much like the distorted and higher speed references to metropolis in the song.  I still can't remember others, there was a reference to something in SC as well.

I havent heard a reference to every single album, but, if they've referenced this many they probably did reference them all.

P.S. don't blast me for hearing this stuff in the song.  for all I know this is going to get a "duh we knew that already response" or a "wtf are you smoking" response.

I listened to this at work and had a pad of paper, so I wrote down where I heard the stuff:

In the presence of enemies ~5:43.  [This one I'm less sure about... it sounds similar at least, but Im not confident that it's an actual reference]
Metropolis part I:  6:46 - 6:54
Octavarium:  8:34 - 8:41
SDOIT disc 2 finale:  10:54- end

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »
I'm getting a pretty strong This Dying Soul vibe from 5:30-5:50.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2011, 10:09:32 AM »
The In The Presence Of Enemies one was the only one I thought was really, really similar. Even then I don't know if they are really deliberate references or not, just places where they have used something similar to previous songs. But if you're considering them references, then I'd say ITPOE is the strongest one there.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »
'90s kids are old now?

Fuck.

I was just referring to the Tootsie Pop Owl.  Those commercials were still on TV in the '90s, so I wasn't sure how remembering them was supposed to make anyone 'old.'

Oh wow, I didn't even know that.   

Offline livehard

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »
Its so funny to hear that people had the same exact experience.  It just clicked for me

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »
'90s kids are old now?

Fuck.

Oh wow, I didn't even know that.

Yeah, me either...I'm a 70's kid and I assumed that the Tootsie Pop owl went the way of Schoolhouse Rock cartoons and the like well before the 90's.

Oh, and back on topic, this song is flying up the list for me...definitely a solid #3 behind BAI and BMUBMD.

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2011, 11:27:35 AM »
The In The Presence Of Enemies one was the only one I thought was really, really similar. Even then I don't know if they are really deliberate references or not, just places where they have used something similar to previous songs. But if you're considering them references, then I'd say ITPOE is the strongest one there.

Really?  I'd think the SDOIT one was the most obvious, since it is literally the exact same thing (same percussion instrument being hit, gradually slowing, and then a gong).  Listen to the end of this track and the end of SDOIT, it is literally the exact same thing!  That had to have been done on purpose.

If one accepts that there are references, I wonder what they meant to convey by putting them in this song...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »
The instrumental section in this song flows so damn well.  :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 12:32:17 PM »
If one accepts that there are references, I wonder what they meant to convey by putting them in this song...

That they got tired?  Or perhaps they are trapped in an Octavarium of their own awesomeness?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »
Outcry is my definition of EPIC.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2011, 07:14:22 AM »
I'd think the SDOIT one was the most obvious, since it is literally the exact same thing (same percussion instrument being hit, gradually slowing, and then a gong).  Listen to the end of this track and the end of SDOIT, it is literally the exact same thing!  That had to have been done on purpose.
Why does it have to have been done on purpose?  What is the purpose of having a gong in your drum kit if you never use it?  And how else would you use it, except to begin or end a song?

The ending fits the song.  There is no reason it has to be a deliberate nod to another song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »
I'd think the SDOIT one was the most obvious, since it is literally the exact same thing (same percussion instrument being hit, gradually slowing, and then a gong).  Listen to the end of this track and the end of SDOIT, it is literally the exact same thing!  That had to have been done on purpose.
Why does it have to have been done on purpose?  What is the purpose of having a gong in your drum kit if you never use it?  And how else would you use it, except to begin or end a song?

The ending fits the song.  There is no reason it has to be a deliberate nod to another song.

I do wish they ended the song on lower resolving chord, instead of the relative major

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »
While the first part of the song is pretty tepid, everything from the instrumental forward is absolutely amazing, which I could tell would be the case the minute the song kicked into the instrumental.  It just had an awesome vibe that the really good DT instrumental sections have (Home, ITNOG, LTL). 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2011, 06:52:06 PM »
I love this song, probably my third favorite on the album. There is ONE tiny part that bothers me though, and it's the way James sings this one particular line:

"The streets are bathed in blood, tiiime tostepdown and time to walk away"

Doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the song, but is anyone else bothered by the odd phrasing there? :lol

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2011, 01:39:26 AM »
I can really see the crowd getting into this song during a show. I hope they play it on the 25th. :)
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2011, 07:46:06 AM »
I can really see the crowd getting into this song during a show. I hope they play it on the 25th. :)

I hope they play it on the 25th too  ;)

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2011, 10:09:44 AM »

It is exactly the same thing (same note and sound being used by JR in the background, same instrument and gradually slowing notes being hit by mangini, then gong) as SDOIT.  It's tough to say that it wasn't a deliberate nod to SDOIT unless you think one of two things:  that it isn't the same exact thing (I challenge you to listen to both if you think this is the case) or that DT doesn't know their own catalogue.  It is true that they might have meant nothing by it, but I think it's pretty clear that the reference exists.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:24:52 AM by JasonScandopolous »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2011, 12:20:33 PM »
It's pretty clear that a coincidence exists.  It's only a reference if it was intentional.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2011, 02:39:58 PM »
This song has been more of a grower with me than any of the others off the album. After first listen, I would have put it somewhere in the bottom third. Now, after going through the disc about ten times it's probably third or fourth. A part that has really grown on me specifically is the "Rise up, be counted..." part. At first it didn't hit me too hard, but now I can see it being a very memorable and classic DT vocal line for me.

And yeah, the ending sounds quite a bit like the end of 6DOIT.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2011, 05:17:51 AM »

I hope they play it on the 25th too  ;)
It will rock!

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2011, 12:17:38 PM »
This song is just getting better and better! Listening to it right now, it's kinda perfect in many ways, might be my fav track of teh album actually.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »
I think Breaking All Illusions is still my favorite track, but Outcry is a very very close second.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan