Author Topic: Outcry Appeciation Thread  (Read 24407 times)

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Outcry Appeciation Thread
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 11:01:14 AM »
It hasn't quite gotten there for me yet...sounds like it'll hit me in about 2.5 more listens, but we'll see.   :biggrin:

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
I liked it from the first listen, and 20 spins later, I really like it.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline PS Head

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
I can't stop listening to this song!  :metal  :heart

PraXis....me too mate.In my mind the best song on the album by far(and i really love the rest of the songs).As far as i am concerned,it has everything that make a great DT song GREAT.Brilliant opening..catchy chorus..awesome instrumental..and a fantastic ending.I cant understand why this song is receiving so much flank...especially the instrumental section.Its not as if DT fans are not used to these weird and crazy sections from the DT guys.Infact i thought that was one of the atractions for many fans,especially the muso's amungst us.Top song from head to toe. ;)

Offline Millais

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 11:34:10 AM »
after lots and lots of listens...

dat instrumental section  :heart :heart :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:18 AM »
Like I said in the main ADTOE thread the other day, the part of the very beginning of the instrumental section is rad as hell: when Rudess is playing that lead synth and then it erupts into the whole band going crazy rhythmically (starts at 5:06).  That is one of my favorite little sections of the whole album. :metal

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
I've had plenty of time for it to "click", and it hasn't, and at this stage very likely won't.

It's not a bad song, but it is the least interesting to me. It has a decent chorus, and that piano section near the end is beautiful, as is the rest of the outro, but none of the instrumental section interests me, and that's a huge part of the song.
Blob, you and your DT-related opinions rule.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »
Blob, you and your DT-related opinions rule.

Well....... there's a first time for everything. Maybe I should sig this so I never forget this moment actually happened.  :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
I can't stop listening to this song!  :metal  :heart

PraXis....me too mate.In my mind the best song on the album by far(and i really love the rest of the songs).As far as i am concerned,it has everything that make a great DT song GREAT.Brilliant opening..catchy chorus..awesome instrumental..and a fantastic ending.I cant understand why this song is receiving so much flank...especially the instrumental section.Its not as if DT fans are not used to these weird and crazy sections from the DT guys.Infact i thought that was one of the atractions for many fans,especially the muso's amungst us.Top song from head to toe. ;)

I've always been a metalhead and I first got into DT when ToT came out.. maybe a week before it's release the first DT song I heard was TGP... but with Outcry, after the first listen I was like okay, one more time.. the instrumental section reminded me of the dualing wankage (which I love) in ToT.. but the rest of the song is great too.. hell I love the whole album, but this song even gets me with lyrics (which pretty much only DT can get me to pay attention to, compared to many other bands).

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
It's playing right now, and it really is an amazing song. Even though I now find myself thinking of melodies from every song on the album, this song is the one most consistently stuck with me and either it or Breaking All Illusions are the songs I most want to hear right now.

Anyone feel like this song has a lot of fake outs in it? Like before the first chorus, rather than going right into it it fades down to the quiet part that builds up, then it feels like it's about to go into the chorus again right before the instrumental section, and then after JP's slower solo it feels like it could be the end of the instrumental but it goes right back in (to one of the best parts of the instrumental, I might add).

The part after the instrumental is one of my favourite moments from the album, along with many others from this song.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 01:03:44 PM »
This is going to sound completely crazy, but there's a bit in the instrumental section that sounds like the audio equivalent of watching (not listening, watching) someone totally demolish a car with a baseball bat. I can't refer a specific timestamp because I've been playing the CD constantly on a CD player I can't see at the moment, but it's there somewhere for me. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

That said, the vocal portions of the song are absolutely stellar. Good chorus and I love the slightly more gentle section directly after the instrumental. I agree with the poster who said that it kind of gets lost in between its surroundings, but it certainly has potential.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »
I guess I'm the only one who hears that then.. hmmmmm.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »
After my 3rd listen, I can now fully appreciate how fantastic Outcry is.

My favorite part is from (0:00 - 11:24 )  ;)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
I love the song, but I love the whole album.

I really like the riff and that's what grabbed me to begin with. I love the eastern vibe to the instrumental section and the Metropolis-esque wierd bit, and the piano and outro are awesome. I couldn't believe the initial reactions from many people saying it was the worst song on the album, but that's taste for ya.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 02:31:35 PM »
Outcry is my favorite track, I've only listened to the album 1.5 times thus far.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
It's odd, I feel like it hasn't completely clicked for me yet either. Yet I still love it and would probably put it as my 3rd favorite right now. Maybe 2nd, depending on my mood.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »
I really dig the instrumental section.

Offline sthentox

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »
im in love with this song, i still get chicken skin when i heard: "but freedom's has a price"

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
Hasn't clicked for me yet. Instrumental section aside, it's just kind of... boring.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 08:34:39 PM »
Still my top song after 2 listens.  Yes, the instrumental is a little long, but I LIKE that aspect of it.  I must say I think within a listen or two more BAI's will pass it.  The section of BAI from 5:30 or so onto 9:00 is just stellar, The solo at 7:00 is right up there with ACOS and LITS solos for me.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »
Like I said in the main ADTOE thread the other day, the part of the very beginning of the instrumental section is rad as hell: when Rudess is playing that lead synth and then it erupts into the whole band going crazy rhythmically (starts at 5:06).  That is one of my favorite little sections of the whole album. :metal
I really dig the instrumental section.

Knowing you two, these posts are making me go WTFBBQ. It's cool!

Anyway, I really like Outcry. The chorus is one of their most "serious" choruses ever. The instrumental is also the most interesting on the album in terms of sheer bombastic craziness. It isn't boring at all, which I can't say for SC and some parts of BCSL.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 09:02:58 PM »
It's currently a middle of the pack song for me on the album. It suffers from following the epic BitS, but has a very solid chorus. I haven't really given the instrumental section too much quality listening time yet though.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »
It hasn't quite gotten there for me yet...sounds like it'll hit me in about 2.5 more listens, but we'll see.   :biggrin:

Well, in reference to the Tootsie Pop owl (wonder how many of you know what the heck I'm referring to), how many licks (listens) does it take to get to the center of the song Outcry?  For me....it was officially 4.  I really like this song now.  Probably #4 on the CD for me after BAI, BMUBMD, and BITS.   :metal

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2011, 11:55:26 AM »
The hardest song to swallow on the album, but also one of the best songs on the album.

The good fans always swallow.

Well, in reference to the Tootsie Pop owl (wonder how many of you know what the heck I'm referring to), how many licks (listens) does it take to get to the center of the song Outcry?

OMGURSOOLD!!!!1!!!!!1  :P
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2011, 12:05:58 PM »
Yeah, it's funny how preferences work. Because of reading that LNF resembled UAGM I went into this album wanting and expecting LNF to be one of my favorites. But - Outcry is the one that's been the sleeper for me and I rank it 3rd or 4th behind BAI, BITS, and maybe TITL.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2011, 12:59:09 PM »
I get major chills at about the 3 minute mark.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 01:00:34 PM »
That instrumental section just blows my mind everytime. This is easily a top 3 song of this album for me.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »
Anyone else hear a bit of Forsaken in the track at 2:29 - 2:34??  Still, killer tune.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »
I'm still kinda waiting for this one to hit me.  Don't get me wrong, I want to love it.  In fact, a few weeks ago, when someone made a 'predict your favorite ADToE songs' thread, Outcry was one of my predictions. 

It's got some really awesome parts.  I love the chorus, for instance.  But I've also got several little complaints about it.  Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to it. 

Still a cool song.   :metal
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
i keep expecting JLB to say existence is FUTILE....tonight

Offline chwik

• Shadows of the Sun
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »
JPs opening riff is just fantastic! I think it's one of the best riffs on the album  :hefdaddy

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
i keep expecting JLB to say existence is FUTILE....tonight

Same here lol. In Picard's voice . . .

Offline rcseeley421

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »
At the 8:42 to 9:06 in Outcry it sounds like the NCIS (TV show) theme to me. Just another "this section must have a name" section? Thoughts?

And all joking aside, I personally can't wait to hear this song live. I think all five members are going to absolutely slay.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2011, 03:05:39 PM »
This song fully clicked with me today. Really amazing. The way they come out of the instrumental into the nice smooth piano (which already has such a great atmosphere) is sick....craziness to low-key somber piano.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
I am really loving this song.  My favorite on the album just above BITS.  The vocal melodies are sooooooo tasty, the piano/keys sounds are perfect and lush, and the instrumental is crazy in a good way.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »
The hardest song to swallow on the album, but also one of the best songs on the album.

The good fans always swallow.

Well, in reference to the Tootsie Pop owl (wonder how many of you know what the heck I'm referring to), how many licks (listens) does it take to get to the center of the song Outcry?

OMGURSOOLD!!!!1!!!!!1  :P

:lol Wonder if that means you knew what I was talking about, making USOOLD2!!!   :P

This one is seriously growing on me...definitely top 4 for me, and that's saying a lot about the 3 ahead of it (BAI, BMUBMD, BITS).