Author Topic: Outcry Appeciation Thread  (Read 24405 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Outcry Appeciation Thread
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the final chorus is sung in a lower key than the first chorus.  It makes it somehow less triumphant that it was originally.  Of course, that might be a comment on the hardship of revolution in the first place, and how hard it is to maintain that revolutionary spirit long enough to finish the task.

We share opposing opinions then. I like how more "straight-laced" the last chorus sounds (for lack of a better term). But your descriptor is something I agree with.

42 + 42 = awesome

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »
Its in my top 3 on the album, with BAI and BTS! :) Not sure on order yet.

Offline m0hawk

« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »
It's such a shame. It's got the best instrumental on the album and a decent chorus, but the rest of the song does nothing for me. I'd be disappointed if I got setlist A instead of setlist B.

Does anyone find its intro somewhat similar to On The Backs Of Angels? There is this mammoth intro keyboard riff which is also the chorus of the song.

Offline Pinga

« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2011, 08:29:25 PM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I love how Myung really ties the song together. So good to hear him being involved in the songwriting process again.

Offline GunsOfThePatriots

« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2011, 01:10:32 PM »
The Part from 06:53 to 07:10 is the most genius compo i ve heard in years especially that guitar placement . well i really dig it  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :omg:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2011, 01:23:57 PM »
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I love how Myung really ties the song together. So good to hear him being involved in the songwriting process again.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2011, 01:24:10 PM »
"Outcry" is probably my favorite song on A Dramatic Turn of Events now.

However, while we're being picky, I must ask: Does every Dream Theater song under ten minutes long have to follow a conventional structure where they finish things with a chorus? Would it kill them to do something different?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »
It used to be one of my least favorites from the album. Now, it's one of my favorites.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2011, 06:14:54 PM »
Dat instrumental section.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline JonnyM93

« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2013, 12:11:38 AM »
This song took the most listens for me to fully grasp it. I absolutely love it now, its a close second after BAI. The chorus is one the best I've ever heard from DT, and I love how they lowered the key for the last one, I always get chills at the part. Instrumental section is a beast, definitely one of my favs. Truly an epic.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2013, 01:09:25 AM »
Its in my top 3 on the album, with BAI and BTS! :) Not sure on order yet.

Its my favorite song on the album. The instrumental section is just  :omg:  :hefdaddy

I love BTS but it doesn't quite crack the top 3.

1. Outcry
2. BitS
3. BAI
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »
I think Breaking All Illusions is still my favorite track, but Outcry is a very very close second.

Same here, but Outcry is probably at #3 for me right behind OTBOA.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2013, 04:12:54 PM »
Best song on the album.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
Well, definitely not on my book  :lol

It's the song that aged less well of all the bunch. It used to be second favourite of the album in the earliest days, now it's somewhere in the middle. The instrumental, in particular, grew kind of stale with time.  :-\
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2013, 04:27:44 PM »
From my Top 50 List.

19. Outcry

This is one of those “This is Dream Theater” songs.  It absolutely blows my mind that ADTOE has no less than five such songs. Outcry is epic from start to stop. That huge riff to open the song, the anthem that is the chorus, the incredible instrumental section, this song has it all. Would love to see this beast get more love around here, but all in all, this is Dream Theater!

Offline krands85

« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »
Definitely the song that took me the longest to grasp on ADToE as well. Wasn't until I had enough listens to really get my head around that instrumental section that I could really appreciate it. It's still only my 4th favourite from the album (after BAI, BitS and OtBoA), but that just shows the quality and consistency of the album. Incredible seeing it live too!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
Best song on the album.

Offline johncal

« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »
I have 1 question. If this is an appreciation thread, then why are there people on this thread bitching about it? There are plenty of other threads on this forum to complain on. How about if we just play nice on appreciation threads?

Oh BTW, I absolutely love the song. I love the classical structure, story telling, and fantastic musicianship. Especially Mangini's double bass work.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
One of my favorites from DT. And I got to say...this song is even better live...normally the songs played live are just exactly the same they are on the album version.  ;D

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2013, 09:19:49 PM »
2nd favorite only preceded by Breaking All Illusions.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2013, 11:34:25 PM »
Don't understand how some don't like this song, but I also despise ToT, so I guess I'm kind odd compared to most.
Love love love this song!

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2013, 12:03:20 AM »
I don't get this song at all. Just never clicked with me. Some of the instrumental parts are amusing though.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »
I have 1 question. If this is an appreciation thread, then why are there people on this thread bitching about it? There are plenty of other threads on this forum to complain on. How about if we just play nice on appreciation threads?

Oh BTW, I absolutely love the song. I love the classical structure, story telling, and fantastic musicianship. Especially Mangini's double bass work.

Mangini's double bass work on this song is absolutely sick! If this is what he came up with for JPs programming framework, I can't even imagine what he'll be like unleashed on DT12.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »
It's the song that aged less well of all the bunch. It used to be second favourite of the album in the earliest days, now it's somewhere in the middle. The instrumental, in particular, grew kind of stale with time.  :-\
Agreed - Outcry was my third favorite from the album at the very beginning, but nowadays it's my second least favorite.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2013, 02:29:57 AM »

I think eloquent criticism leads up to interesting conversation. There are other threads, indeed, but this is the only one dedicated to this particular song so why not discuss every aspect of it? Anyway, Outcry is probably my second or third favorite on the album (in a tight race with LNF and BAI, although all 5 epics on ADTOE are pretty much interchangeable), the instrumental section is a blast, especially because of Jordan (that pivotal moment at 6:30, wow) and Mike. Also love the return of the initial keyboard theme in the last chorus, powerful stuff (even though it's not as high as the first chorus).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline johncal

« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »

I think eloquent criticism leads up to interesting conversation. There are other threads, indeed, but this is the only one dedicated to this particular song so why not discuss every aspect of it? Anyway, Outcry is probably my second or third favorite on the album (in a tight race with LNF and BAI, although all 5 epics on ADTOE are pretty much interchangeable), the instrumental section is a blast, especially because of Jordan (that pivotal moment at 6:30, wow) and Mike. Also love the return of the initial keyboard theme in the last chorus, powerful stuff (even though it's not as high as the first chorus).

The reason to not "discuss every aspect of it" and promote criticism of the song is because it's an "appreciation" thread. If there's stuff you don't like then start a thread that talks about shortcomings. The problem I have is that people are always complaining about something. I'm not referring to things like where people say they like something else better, etc. I'm just talking about people who get on an appreciation thread and then bitch about cheesy lyrics, this or that is wrong with the song, etc. I think, although I could be wrong that people that start an appreciation thread are looking to discuss with others what they also really like about the song. You know, POSITIVE types of things.

Just my opinion. People will do what they will do. Nothing meant personally.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
I love the song:

- Socially straight and hard lyrics.
- Impressive music ( :hefdaddy f...ing mad middle part :metal).

The 5 guys KILLS in that song from A to Z. Kick-ass pice of music.

A modelic song to me (fights very hard with BAI for "Best ADTOE song").

Love it, man.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2013, 12:12:19 AM »
One hell of a song, 3rd favorite on ADTOE, behind Breaking and Bridges. The instrumental section is the highlight of the song for me, it must be one of the craziest and most technical instrumental sections DT has done. The choruses and outro are nice too. I remember it taking me a few listens to get into at first. And as mentioned, it's almost structurally identical to Metropolis.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »

I have to agree Nearmyth....

It took me a while to get into ADTOE as a whole. I think that's because I was used to MPs drumming, and I wasn't prepared for the drums to be so far down in the mix. It took a few listens to hear them better. Once that happened the songs started to stand out and that one became my favorite because of the instrumental part. Now that part blows my mind every time I hear it.

And welcome to DTF....

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #169 on: July 22, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »
Thank you! :) been lurking for a bit, thought it was about time i joined in.

Yes I remember noticing the differences in the drumming right away, but I must admit it's a show to see Mangini go nuts on it live.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
My favorite track after Breaking All Illusions  :tup

Offline tiagodon

« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2013, 03:51:42 PM »
A masterpiece! My all time favorite DT song!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2013, 11:35:44 AM »
Cranked Outcry on the way to work this morning. Love it, like just about everything else on ADTOE. One of my favorite parts is that beautiful, quiet 15-second interlude after the instrumental madness. I wish they could have built and entire song out of that piece. But yeah, can't wait to see this on the DVD.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2013, 11:43:45 AM »
I can't wait to see this live on the Luna Park DVD. They performed it so flawlessly on the tour that it's ridiculous.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
« Reply #174 on: July 26, 2013, 12:15:24 AM »
I can't wait to see this live on the Luna Park DVD. They performed it so flawlessly on the tour that it's ridiculous.

There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.