Author Topic: Outcry Appeciation Thread  (Read 24408 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Outcry Appeciation Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
I think Breaking All Illusions is still my favorite track, but Outcry is a very very close second.
^

Offline Knguro

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »
Question: what's the noise between 8:42 and 8:45. I think it a little mistake by JP while touching a string with his pick. Not sure though.

Still I love the instrumental section is just monumental, MM is a fucking beast!
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline jacksmash

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2011, 04:10:02 PM »
Question: what's the noise between 8:42 and 8:45. I think it a little mistake by JP while touching a string with his pick. Not sure though.

It's not a mistake. JP is simply attacking that note again for effect.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2011, 04:12:11 PM »
I'm beginning to think that Outcry is the best track on the album.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline jacksmash

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »

Agreed. It's just that it takes much longer to realize it than when listening to the other songs on the album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2011, 04:40:40 PM »
I love this track.  And I love this album.  Best album in a decade.  And I'm sorry, but clearly, the best thing that could have happened with Dream Theater is Portnoy's departure.  No more awful backing vocals, a return to a more progressive and less metal sound, and I don't have to have the drums pounding me in the face in the mix.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2011, 05:15:52 PM »

I can't go that far.  I love it a lot, but it just can't crack the top 3 for me from this album.  Breaking All Illusions, This is the Life and, of course, Bridges in the Sky (the best of them all) are pretty solidified right now as the top 3.  But Outcry is most definitely awesome.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2011, 11:48:58 AM »
I'm definitely starting to agree with JP's quote about it being the anthem of the album.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline lanemeyer

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
I love this track.  And I love this album.  Best album in a decade.  And I'm sorry, but clearly, the best thing that could have happened with Dream Theater is Portnoy's departure.  No more awful backing vocals, a return to a more progressive and less metal sound, and I don't have to have the drums pounding me in the face in the mix.

I agree with this completely. Don't want to change the subject, but so many of the things I was disliking about DT went away with MP.  It's like balance was restored to the force and I'm SUPER excited to see what this band does in the future now. I already can't wait for the next album, and that enthusiasm for this band hasn't been there for me, for a while.

Anywaaaay... about Outcry. This was the biggest "grower" on the album for me. Some parts I really like about it:

- The tone on JP's rhythm guitar is so thick and heavy... love it! I just wanna crank it when it first
     comes into the song at 0:45.
   - They did a great job of using electronic drums where appropriate.
   - Labrie sounds awesome throughout, but I think he really sounds great in the 1st verse
   - The bridge was a hot mess when I first heard it.. now that I'm familiar with it, I really love it...
     I think it flows quite smoothly.
   - Love JR's piano work at 6:30.
   - MM drum fille at 8:28  :eek  Most insane drum fill of the album.. it's HUGE!
   - The mellow section after the bridge is a nice contrast to the insanity that preceded.

Outcry is, IMO, is the song with the most number of layers and new elements to discover through repeated listens... it's VERY thick!

Scientia fortitudo venit.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
Still hasn't clicked yet. I can safely say I haven't listened to it enough yet. Also it comes right after BITS which is my favorite song on the album. I'll listen to it solo, I really want to like to this song. I wonder if they they'll play it live in 2 days.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 04:19:04 PM by jcmistat »

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2011, 03:58:30 PM »
 :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart that song!

Offline jag66

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »
Probably top 3. Nothing can touch Breaking All Illusions, tyuuuuuuuune

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2011, 04:08:01 PM »

I'm beginning to think you are smart.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2011, 04:15:22 PM »
Outcry clicked for me since the beginning. It was my fav song after This is the life and Beneath the surface. Now stills more or less the same, maybe now I prefer a little bit BITS, but stills being one of my favourites of the album. AMAZING SONG!!!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
I can't quite rank it yet, it moves between the 1-3 spots.  Right now the Chorus is barely beating BITS....  It's an awesome song, as are BITS and BAI

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2011, 08:08:10 PM »
This song is so... dense. I love it, but I still can barely recall parts of it without the album playing. That's typically a very good sign in my past experience. "Grower" isn't even the word for it. :)

Offline Kornflake

« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2011, 09:14:16 PM »
i LOVE the opening riff to this song.  It's one of my favorite DT riffs on any album.  It t doesn't seem rediculously technical but it just sounds cool.  I love in the choruses too when the riff repeats but is a little different than the opener.
I've probably only had time to listen to the record about 5-10 times so far, but I've listened to Outcry probably 15-20.  It's been my favorite song on that album since the first listen.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #122 on: September 22, 2011, 10:53:47 PM »

Agreed.  But certainly not what I was thinking when I first heard of his departure.  Life is funny that way - bad news sometimes ends up having a silver lining that isn't apparent until much later.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2011, 12:29:27 AM »
Tied at favorite from the album along with Breaking All Illusions

This.

Offline JoeH

« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2011, 07:15:41 AM »
Yep, this has been the one song that took a lot of listening to really unravel its beauty for me. It's now one of my top favorites on the album. The entire instrumentation job by the boys and the conception of chaos in society paints very well throughout the song. It certainly "clicked" for me.
Tom Tucker: A bit of breaking news. A local family is forced out of their home by ghosts. Who are they gonna call?
Diane Simmons (sighs): Ghostbusters, Tom.
Tom Tucker: No, Diane. Their insurance company. That's just stupid what you said.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2011, 07:28:05 AM »
The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the final chorus is sung in a lower key than the first chorus.  It makes it somehow less triumphant that it was originally.  Of course, that might be a comment on the hardship of revolution in the first place, and how hard it is to maintain that revolutionary spirit long enough to finish the task.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2011, 07:34:59 AM »
The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the final chorus is sung in a lower key than the first chorus.  It makes it somehow less triumphant that it was originally.  Of course, that might be a comment on the hardship of revolution in the first place, and how hard it is to maintain that revolutionary spirit long enough to finish the task.
I love how they did that. Most bands will raise the chorus up a whole step for the final repetition. I also like the idea of switching keys for choruses because it keeps them interesting.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2011, 07:37:28 AM »

Good take on this one, Hef. Yeah, it might be the exhaustion that comes after a raging battle. Love your interpretation.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2011, 07:54:33 AM »
The song is still awesome.  That instrumental section is just jaw-droppingly good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2011, 08:25:01 AM »
That bothered me not for the first maybe 3 times, then it started to sound slightly disappointing through listens 4-6, now I love it again.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »
It gives that last chorus a winding down instead of a climax. I didn't like it at first either but I love it now.
A similar problem I have but with BITS. "Shaman take my hand" @ 7:14 sounds more powerful than the same one at the end of the song. Specifically how he says "Hand", I dunno the name of the notes. The one @ 7:14 is such an amazing climax and is definitely the centerpiece of the album for me as it leads to the instrumental section.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline lanemeyer

« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2011, 09:05:31 AM »

I think that's part of it... also the lyrics support the more negative undertone of the ending... "Locked in a kingdom of fear... As our children die."  I think that's a pretty strong comment to be place right at the end of the piece.
Scientia fortitudo venit.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2011, 09:10:41 AM »

I think that's part of it... also the lyrics support the more negative undertone of the ending... "Locked in a kingdom of fear... As our children die."  I think that's a pretty strong comment to be place right at the end of the piece.
Yeah, I think so. 

But I still prefer the earlier chorus.

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »
Just had my first listen to this song thanks to the ordering from Road Running debacle, and on my first run through the album I liked it the best. I hope they can and will play it live.
As others have mentioned i wish the drum mix was a touch louder and they let Mike M go off a little more.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »
Definitely one of the top 3 songs from ADTOE IMO.   :metal :tup It took a few listens for me to follow what was going on, but I absolutely love it! I'd surely count it as the anthem of ADTOE, as I believe JP called it that.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2011, 11:41:35 AM »
At the beginning, I loved the instrumental section but thought it was a bit dettached from the song. Now, I feel forced to listen to the whole thing because it's to freaking awesome.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: September 23, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »
I'm still not completely in love with it, but I've ocme to the conclusion that Outcry would make for an extremely kickass live song.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline vulcandj

• There's too many notes.
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2011, 02:33:19 PM »
I haven't read all of the replies about, so I'll apologize if I repeat something that has already been stated; the beginning sounds like something that Evanescence would do (I don't mean this as an insult to either band) but changes DRASTICALLY when the full band kicks in. Just one of the many things that I love about DT; the ability to take something and go somewhere totally different than you thought it would go.

As for it being my favorite song on the CD, it hasn't beaten out BITS yet. I find that song to be rather epic :omg:
So I say to the horse, "why the long face?"....

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2011, 07:29:25 PM »
Since I'm working so much right now, I haven't gotten to listen to the album as much as I like, so I feel stupid discussing the songs so late like this.
I liked the song at first, but now I love it. Great melodies, very cool guitar riff. Really hoping to get it live tomorrow night.
Best misheard lyric...'Fart in many ears'... :lol
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2011, 07:32:33 PM »
Best song on the album. It shouldn't need an appreciation thread. People should automatically appreciate it. It's the reason why I love Dream Theater, the "Metropolis" or "Dance of Eternity" of this album.
RAAAAAWK!  :metal
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"