Author Topic: Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace, out now!  (Read 25395 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace, out now!
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2024, 08:07:11 AM »
Surprised to hear that someone doesn't like the vocals. Jim's performance here made me shed a tear or two.

His vocals are the best part.

I've listened to the Charcoal Grace song both on my way home last night and way into work today to give it some dedicated listens since I really need more concentrated listens. It's not clicking.  The rest of the album is pretty good, top end CH it seems, but the title track is not doing it for me.  The last part clearly has the "break out" section and I do enjoy it, but the build up isn't working for me, at least not yet.  Also, it sounds VERY familiar.  I'm starting to actually agree with Crow here, the album is actually a bit too familiar to me.  I still need lots more listens and I think my opinion can change though.

Still very much looking forward to the show on Saturday.  My coworker just called out saying he has the flu though, hopefully I didn't catch it yesterday though because that'll ruin everything.

Online NoseofNicko

« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2024, 09:21:18 PM »
Blind-bought Charcoal Grace and I’m really loving it! Before that my only experience with the band was listening to Rise Radiant once and enjoying it but I’ve relistened to it and I’ve listened to the previous 2 albums and all I can say is what a fantastic band! Love their unpredictable chord progressions.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 09:32:20 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #317 on: January 31, 2024, 04:33:03 AM »
One listen in - this album seems like it's going to be great, but I need more listens.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: January 31, 2024, 08:12:45 AM »
The title track has grown on me with a couple more listens since my last post.  Specifically parts 3 and 4 are great.  1 is solid, 2 is where my disconnect still lays, but once again, I think more listens will help.  Thinking, The World Breathes With Me, Mute, and Golem may be my favorite songs in that order, but still early.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant, May 22nd!
« Reply #319 on: January 31, 2024, 01:29:02 PM »
I will interview Sam Vallen tomorrow night, do you guys have any questions you'd want me to ask him?

Hey buddy, we published your interview today (video and transcript). I really LOVED this one, it was like Sam was so into it that he could have talked for hours.

https://lotsofmuzik.com/an-exclusive-interview-with-sam-vallen-of-caligulas-horse/

:metal

Watched this today.  Good interview.  Sadly he noted Mute would be hard to play live which makes me doubt it will be played this tour.  Who knows, he did also say its his favorite track so maybe they will put the effort into making it work live. 

Also, he noted how the title track he wanted it to be different individual songs that stood on their own and stood as one full song, and I'm starting to wonder after hearing that if that's why I'm struggling to enjoy it the way I would have expected to.  I think the separate tracks don't stand too well on their own and also don't stand too well as a whole.  I do enjoy the song, it's just got parts that I really love and it as a whole seems to be a bit incohesive though. I kind of hope they don't play this one live this tour, unless they did sort of a sandwich thing how DT did with ACOS on the live album so I could catch my favorite parts of it without having to take a full 26 minutes of the set.

Well, we should find out soon enough though, hopefully someone shares the setlist tonight.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #320 on: January 31, 2024, 01:32:50 PM »
Interesting comment on Mute, and kind of bums me that there's a chance it won't be played. If they don't play it, I better be getting Graves...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #321 on: January 31, 2024, 01:38:35 PM »
Interesting comment on Mute, and kind of bums me that there's a chance it won't be played. If they don't play it, I better be getting Graves...

Well, the "chance it wont be played" comes from my comment on him saying it would be difficult.  It was actually a really interesting discussion point about writing songs and figuring out how to play them live afterwards.  It seemed like he thinks its possible to make the necessary adjustments, but who knows.  I have to think the positive response to the song might be a reason for them to make it work live. 

Kind of like how Avenged Sevenfold didn't do Cosmic live yet.  It's a challenging song to do live and they did not expect the fans to go wild for it on release.  They said they will eventually play it now because of the fan reaction and that they've been practicing it.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #322 on: January 31, 2024, 08:42:43 PM »
What is their best song?  I have all their albums, and nothing has ever stuck after listening and I haven’t ever felt like I have to replay a song or part of a song because it got my attention.  As far as I’m concerned their best song isn’t as good as Haken’s 25th beat song.  They are playing near me next week at a venue I really like, and so far I haven’t convinced myself to buy a ticket.  Convince me please, or at least add some value to my purchases.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #323 on: January 31, 2024, 08:47:48 PM »
What is their best song?  I have all their albums, and nothing has ever stuck after listening and I haven’t ever felt like I have to replay a song or part of a song because it got my attention.  As far as I’m concerned their best song isn’t as good as Haken’s 25th beat song.  They are playing near me next week at a venue I really like, and so far I haven’t convinced myself to buy a ticket.  Convince me please, or at least add some value to my purchases.
For me their best song is probably Graves. Although Marigold and Dream the Dead are also amazing songs.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #324 on: January 31, 2024, 08:51:21 PM »
Yeah, I'd hold Graves up against any Haken track.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #325 on: January 31, 2024, 09:11:59 PM »
Graves, Rust, Turntail, and Songs for No One are my favorites.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2024, 03:55:41 AM »
Turntail and Firelight are awesome, I got them in my roulette a while ago. I also got Graves and I think it's good but not as good as those first two.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2024, 07:40:10 AM »
Not sure how reliable setlistfm is, but shows they played Mute and Graves last night
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2024, 08:04:04 AM »
Not sure how reliable setlistfm is, but shows they played Mute and Graves last night

Yeah, that set seems legit. It's basically what they played at Progpower last year swapping some new songs in with the older.  Solid set list for the first time in the US.  Glad to see Mute made the cut.  Book ending the main set with the new songs makes sense to me.  Can't wait for Saturday

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #329 on: February 01, 2024, 08:42:48 AM »
Very pleased with the set, finishing with Mute and Graves will be amazing

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2024, 08:53:23 AM »
I agree with almost all the above comments about best songs, with Graves being my number 1.

The one time I saw them, they closed with Graves, and it really was an incredible moment.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2024, 12:39:03 PM »
Don't see any youtube videos from last night.  I'd love nothing more than to have the first captures of the new music live on Saturday. 

I noticed from a picture of last night that it didn't look very packed.  And for the NYC show, they haven't sold out of the "tier 1" pricing tickets which makes me think the venue is going to be fairly empty (500 capacity).  I hope that means they don't block off the back seats because that's the best spot to get good video for me. And more importantly, I hope that this tour ends up being successful.  I want them to be able to come back and consistently.

Listened to some Earthside today, not my thing, but I can see how some might like it and how CH fans may enjoy it too.  Just too instrumental for my tastes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #332 on: February 01, 2024, 12:45:50 PM »
What is their best song?  I have all their albums, and nothing has ever stuck after listening and I haven’t ever felt like I have to replay a song or part of a song because it got my attention.
Why in the world do you keep buying their albums?  Stop it and put your money somewhere else.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: February 01, 2024, 06:00:44 PM »
What is their best song?  I have all their albums, and nothing has ever stuck after listening and I haven’t ever felt like I have to replay a song or part of a song because it got my attention.
Why in the world do you keep buying their albums?  Stop it and put your money somewhere else.

I have 93 board games about “stock trading and running train companies”.  I clearly have issues.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #334 on: February 01, 2024, 06:02:13 PM »
DTVT isn't a mad scientist for no reason.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #335 on: February 01, 2024, 06:07:24 PM »

I have 93 board games about “stock trading and running train companies”.  I clearly have issues.

We know but you hug the best and are a perfect roommate and friends. Mad hugs
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: February 01, 2024, 06:41:36 PM »
Actually, it turns out I didn’t have the album with Graves on it.  But I just got a big fat bonus, so I’ll probably go assuming an impending family matter doesn’t happen.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: February 03, 2024, 04:10:18 PM »
Just arrived in NYC for the show at Gramercy Theater. Fingers crossed they play "The Ascent." It's one of my favorite songs by any band ever.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: February 03, 2024, 04:29:02 PM »
Saw them last night. Huge out with Earthside. Guys in Mile Marker Zero asked to say hello. They were happy to hear that.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #339 on: February 03, 2024, 08:21:25 PM »
Saw them last night. Huge out with Earthside. Guys in Mile Marker Zero asked to say hello. They were happy to hear that.

How was Earthside live?  Loving the new album, especially the tune Watching the Earth Sink.  Those drums!
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: February 04, 2024, 06:09:33 AM »
Always great. This was my 2nd time seeing them live.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #341 on: February 04, 2024, 06:48:39 AM »
This is a dense album after a couple of listens.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: February 04, 2024, 10:33:44 AM »
Earthside has some pretty wild stage energy for a band of their style.  Definitely a better live band than I thought going in.  Probably still not music I love, but I can appreciate it a lot more after seeing the performance.  The backing track vocals stinks in a live setting, but makes sense here and it felt like the vocals are hardly the lead for their overall sound and style, more complimentary to the music, at least that's how it felt to me. 

Caligula's Horse were incredible.  A ton of energy and excitement in the room last night.  I'll share more thoughts later, here's some video (and my long form video will be up later today, just have family stuff delaying me a bit):

Caligula's Horse - The World Breathes With Me LIVE @ Gramercy Theater New York City NY 2/3/2024

Caligula's Horse - Mute LIVE @ Gramercy Theater New York City NY 2/3/2024

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: February 05, 2024, 09:39:05 AM »
cramx3 thank you very much for there excellent review of the show at NY last February 3rd.

https://lotsofmuzik.com/caligulas-horse-concert-review-by-cramx3-february-3rd-at-gramercy-theater-new-york-city-ny/

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2024, 12:44:57 PM »
cramx3 thank you very much for there excellent review of the show at NY last February 3rd.

https://lotsofmuzik.com/caligulas-horse-concert-review-by-cramx3-february-3rd-at-gramercy-theater-new-york-city-ny/

Thanks for setting it up, this was a lot of fun  :metal

No need for me to write out anything more, it's all there, but here's a picture and my full video (with A LOT of footage)

Caligula's Horse & Earthside LIVE @ Gramercy Theater New York City 2024

^ this guy is funny AF.  The crowd engagements were some of the best I've seen.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #345 on: February 05, 2024, 12:55:02 PM »
Great videos, thanks

Offline Glasser

« Reply #346 on: February 06, 2024, 09:41:46 AM »
I love this album but the vocals are too low in the mix, I don't understand how it wasn't noticed or if was intentional, why?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: February 06, 2024, 09:56:27 AM »
I love this album but the vocals are too low in the mix, I don't understand how it wasn't noticed or if was intentional, why?

I've felt that way too in spots, as well as during the concert in NYC.  I felt like the vocals weren't cutting through the music.  Jim was singing in a soft voice over loud parts and I couldn't really hear him at times during the show. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #348 on: February 06, 2024, 01:39:33 PM »
Do you guys know if they are selling like signed vinyls (and which ones)? Shirts?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: February 06, 2024, 01:44:39 PM »
Do you guys know if they are selling like signed vinyls (and which ones)? Shirts?

Actually didn't get a great look at the merch to answer this.  I know they sold shirts and vinyl though, not sure if any of the vinyl were signed or which ones.