Author Topic: Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace, out now!  (Read 25422 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Caligula's Horse - Rise Radiant, May 22nd!
« Reply #280 on: January 25, 2024, 10:44:56 AM »
I'll be listening but maybe not until the weekend, but I certainly need to get many listens in before the show next week  :metal

The singles were all good so my expectations are fairly high.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #282 on: January 25, 2024, 07:10:21 PM »
New album 'Charcoal Grace' comes out January 26th.

Oh shit, this is tomorrow! I didn't realize, someone needs to update the thread title.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Caligula's Horse - Charcoal Grace, out now!
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2024, 06:13:25 AM »
Listening now  :corn

Edit: That was pretty good. I'll need to give it a couple more spins but as of right now, this is competing for my favorite CH's album.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 07:23:13 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2024, 07:55:27 AM »
After three spins, I'd call it mind-blowing. Golem is easily the least interesting song on the album and even it is still great.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2024, 08:27:55 AM »
Not sure about favourite as I don't feel (so far) that it's as vibrant and colourful as In Contact, but definitely a great album. The Charcoal Grace suite especially is so good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2024, 08:51:11 AM »
Liking it more than Rise Radiant. Very promising release but need a few more spins.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2024, 11:48:08 AM »
Digging into my first full spin, loving what I'm hearing.

Wondering, I'd imagine they'll play the title suite, do you all think that'll bump Graves from the potential setlist?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2024, 12:07:24 PM »
Digging into my first full spin, loving what I'm hearing.

Wondering, I'd imagine they'll play the title suite, do you all think that'll bump Graves from the potential setlist?

Not sure.  Being that it's their first US tour, you'd think they might want to play it.... but there's only so much room in the set.  I've got to imagine they also want to focus on the new stuff.  They played Graves at both previous US shows at Progpower.  I think it takes a back seat here, but just my guess.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #289 on: January 26, 2024, 12:17:25 PM »
listened to about half of this to confirm that this band is no longer for me :lol
idk. it's. definitely a prog metal album released in 2024. i didn't like the new haken last year either but at least they were trying things on it, kinda. CH's sound hasn't progressed an inch since their debut, somehow, and it's reeeally been getting tired on these last few albums (i include in contact in that sorry fans. could even include bloom bcuz honestly nothing they've done since the sophomore album has ever really wowed me. except graves graves is pretty good ig)

it is very funny that i was so far ahead of the curve with this band and now i do not care about them at all, i suppose :corn

...does anyone wanna make a new thread so i don't have to be stuck as the OPr?  :lol

Offline me7

« Reply #290 on: January 26, 2024, 12:48:51 PM »
It's fine that it doesn't connect with you, but this album is for from a stagnation. I think it's the biggest leap forward since Tide, Thief & River.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #291 on: January 26, 2024, 01:05:26 PM »
It's fine that it doesn't connect with you, but this album is for from a stagnation. I think it's the biggest leap forward since Tide, Thief & River.
From my first listen, I would have to agree with this. They've finally made some progress in their sound. They spent too long trying to perfect a certain sound, which I think they peaked with on In Contact and then they tried to recapture that magic on Rise Radiant, but stumbled by trying to sound too much like modern rock/metal.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: January 26, 2024, 02:28:16 PM »
...if there's any progression i don't hear it, then  :lol lots of the same modern prog metal sounds i've heard before and the same kinds of riffs, hooks, solos they've had since the very beginning, idk man :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #293 on: January 26, 2024, 06:14:57 PM »
I really am considering going to the Nashville show.  Have not listened to the new album, but Earthside is opening and I love their new album.  Also a plus the show is on a Saturday night.

Edit: First spin of Charcoal Grace and solid album.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 10:16:23 PM by mike099 »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #294 on: January 27, 2024, 09:31:11 AM »
...if there's any progression i don't hear it, then  :lol lots of the same modern prog metal sounds i've heard before and the same kinds of riffs, hooks, solos they've had since the very beginning, idk man :lol

Wat  :lol

It's totally fine if you don't like it but there is plenty of progression in their catalogue. The difference between Radiant and Charcoal alone is huge. And I think their sound has become a lot more refined and organized compared to the overloaded and a little immature debut.
any rock can be made to roll

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #295 on: January 27, 2024, 09:55:47 AM »
As someone who doesn't even listen to this band this exchange is amusing because everyone on the side of the album being a big leap / departure for them is giving zero examples why. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: January 27, 2024, 10:20:40 AM »
Just bought the album, but haven't listened. I didn't feel like the singles were a departure from their sound and style. I'm going to guess the album really isn't too different but maybe just a better album. That's fine by me. Bands don't need to "progress" if they keep pumping out good music IMO. I liked Rise Radiant more than some here it seems so I really expect to like this one a lot. I'm just not sure I care about progression in this case.

Offline me7

« Reply #297 on: January 27, 2024, 10:28:43 AM »
Their music has become denser and more layered over time. This album takes a step back but in a very deliberate way. The music is often sparser, but the quota of modulations and rhythmic changes that give me goosebumps is higher than on any previous album. Some sections (and the singles "Golem" and to a lesser extent "World breaths with me") are of course very familiar, but the Charcoal Grace suite in particular is a new kind of beast.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: January 27, 2024, 11:01:59 AM »
As someone who doesn't even listen to this band this exchange is amusing because everyone on the side of the album being a big leap / departure for them is giving zero examples why. :lol
Oh, I never said it was a big departure from their overall sound. It isn't. I was just pointing out that the band seemed to stagnate with Rise Radiant and this new album I can finally see some progression. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it is progress. At least to my ears... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #299 on: January 27, 2024, 11:09:42 AM »
Oh, I never said it was a big departure from their overall sound. It isn't. I was just pointing out that the band seemed to stagnate with Rise Radiant and this new album I can finally see some progression. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it is progress. At least to my ears... :corn

Such as? You're just reinforcing my observation. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: January 27, 2024, 11:30:59 AM »

Such as? You're just reinforcing my observation. :lol
:lol
I need some more time with the album so I can properly collect my thoughts.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #301 on: January 27, 2024, 11:33:09 AM »
Seeing them this Friday.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: January 27, 2024, 11:37:16 AM »
buddy i think you care about this more than i do  :lol
i only commented at all because i am annoyingly still the thread owner :P

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2024, 11:40:09 AM »
All I know is that I didn't really like Rise Radiant (it was just very underwhelming), but I do like Charcoal Grace. Their progression writing better songs.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2024, 04:43:00 PM »
Just listened to The Tide, The Thief and Rivers End after listening to Charcoal Grace
and feel the tide, thief and rivers is more interesting.  I will be purchasing this one tonight.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #305 on: January 27, 2024, 08:41:44 PM »
After a few listens, the one thing I can firmly say is they HAVE to play Mute. God I love that song.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #306 on: January 28, 2024, 09:39:50 AM »
After a few listens, the one thing I can firmly say is they HAVE to play Mute. God I love that song.

Haven't listened to the whole album yet, but yeah this song is great. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #307 on: January 28, 2024, 10:33:06 PM »

I did  :tup

Fritzinger album review
https://lotsofmuzik.com/caligulas-horse-charcoal-grace-album-review-by-friedrich-christian-stenzel/
any rock can be made to roll

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #308 on: January 29, 2024, 09:15:51 AM »
Several years removed from the last time I listened to any Caligula's Horse.

Midway through the new album, and this is very impressive.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #309 on: January 29, 2024, 12:46:13 PM »
After a first casual listen yesterday the album sounded pretty interesting.
Second listen today in the car. Musically it´s pretty impressive with beautiful melodies all over the album, especially the guitars stand out. Vocals kind of ruin it for me. I remember the vocalist having quite some punch but this feels like he´s in the same higher tones almost the whole album.

Might be perception or the quality of my car stereo. I´ll give it another try.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: January 29, 2024, 12:51:07 PM »
Gave a couple listens over the weekend and a few more today.  I still very much need more listens.  Theses songs have a lot of depth that I'm not immediately connecting with. (that's not necessarily a bad thing, nor a good thing, just a more time thing). I do enoy it overall though, but if I had to judge it so far, I'd say it's my least favorite album of theirs though.  BUT like I said, I need more listens to really "get" some of these longer and denser songs.  I didn't listen to the singles too much either so rally other than Golem, I need a lot of digestion and more listens. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2024, 01:24:37 PM »
listened to about half of this to confirm that this band is no longer for me :lol
idk. it's. definitely a prog metal album released in 2024. i didn't like the new haken last year either but at least they were trying things on it, kinda. CH's sound hasn't progressed an inch since their debut, somehow, and it's reeeally been getting tired on these last few albums (i include in contact in that sorry fans. could even include bloom bcuz honestly nothing they've done since the sophomore album has ever really wowed me. except graves graves is pretty good ig)

it is very funny that i was so far ahead of the curve with this band and now i do not care about them at all, i suppose :corn

...does anyone wanna make a new thread so i don't have to be stuck as the OPr?  :lol

I listened to this album on my lunch break, and while I definitely need a few more listens for it to sink in, there was some immediate things that I noticed. Regarding the production, mix, riffs, etc. I think these songs would be better if they didn't resort to djeneric djent riffage and that one drum sound that nearly everyone uses. The Images and Words snare sound sucked in 1992, why keep using it in 2024? It sounds to me like the drums were quantized and gridded to death, and the natural drum sounds were replaced with whatever GetGoodDrums or SlateTrigger5 presets are hot right now. Many of the songs sound like a simpler Haken with a better vocalist, which is what really turned me off about Rise Radiant.

That said, I think there are lot of interesting ideas being presented, especially on Charcoal Grace pt II. Golem is pretty cool as well. As I said, I think I need some more time to listen to this a few more times to really form an opinion.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #312 on: January 29, 2024, 08:29:30 PM »
I will interview Sam Vallen tomorrow night, do you guys have any questions you'd want me to ask him?

Hey buddy, we published your interview today (video and transcript). I really LOVED this one, it was like Sam was so into it that he could have talked for hours.

https://lotsofmuzik.com/an-exclusive-interview-with-sam-vallen-of-caligulas-horse/

:metal

Yeah it was really fun talking with Sam. He is a very interesting character and fantastic musician. And he knows SO much about music  :lol I love that he wrote a dissertation just about harmonic vocabulary of Steely Dan music. Not to mention his 300 pages strong doctorate (really interesting read for anyone interested in progressive rock by the way).

Besides, the new album is fantastic. Sets the bar very high for upcoming albums in 2024.

The interview was really refreshing for some reason, Sam’s enthusiasm really shone through. Thanks for that.

First few listens of the album I’m loving The World Breathes With Me. That’s something new for them that also includes that secret “somber optimism” they convey in their melody and lyric writing.

Mute is beautiful too, given its high regard in reviews I expected their best song ever and it almost is. Sounds like The Ascent pt 2 to me, in fact I’m thinking The Ascent followed by Mute is a complete work, hope they’re both on next setlist (will be there to see them in a couple of weeks). Not sure it can be their best cause Songs for no one exists… maybe musically less complex but wins on account of how big and earnest it is.

Listened to the title track/epic but not too closely yet, still digging the first and last tracks more. One of those works that will have to grow with time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2024, 08:51:49 PM »
My ideal set would be to have Mute open, Charcoal Grace close, and Graves as an encore. Fill in the rest as needed.

Offline me7

« Reply #314 on: January 30, 2024, 02:48:20 AM »
Surprised to hear that someone doesn't like the vocals. Jim's performance here made me shed a tear or two.