Poll

Rank it.

10 Greatest DT album since long time ago.
5 I'm gonna listen to it once in a while.
1 I don't like it at all.

Author Topic: A Dramatic Turn of Events - Personal rank.  (Read 3585 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: A Dramatic Turn of Events - Personal rank.
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 01:09:08 PM »
It wasn't so enthralling that I would rate it higher than 6 after a listen, a lower bound on where I think it'll end up.  Better ratings can wait until I know it well enough.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 01:37:25 PM »

It's a very consistent record, but there's a little too much wankery here and there (mostly the beginning of LNF), and I find the close adherence to I&W structures to be.... a little suspicious. Not a deal breaker, but I hope it's not a trend they continue beyond this record.

That said, Bridges In The Sky is awesome, and there's plenty of other really good tunes here as well. Also, more importantly, all these songs feel like they belong on the same album.... and on an album with Beneath The Surface, BMUBMD and Outcry, that's no mean feat.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
10 at the moment. May be a 9 when I get tired of it, but I really enjoy each and every song. As a record it's a 10, even though not every song is a 10 independently of course.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 01:51:57 PM »
I probably said it before, but after many listens, I still remain with the analogy that every time I hear this album, I get the impression this is a totally new, fresh, young band that is inspired by old Dream Theater, but incorporating the new heavier guitar sounds. ADTOE is at this moment ranked at 3rd, perhaps 2nd best DT album for me. I Can't wait to see Outrcy and BITS live. Outcry probably as the song before the encore.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline Slain

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 02:02:44 PM »
I'll rate it a 9. I seriously think that this is up there with my favorite DT albums. Although it's still new, and you never know how well an album will age (for example, I loved BCSL when it was first released but now it ranks pretty low against the other DT albums) but I have a good feeling about this one. There aren't any songs that I even feel inclined to skip, I even enjoyed BMUBMD quite a bit the first time I heard it.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »
I voted 10 as this album is giving me so much pleasure.
Best and most consistent for a long long time.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
Definitely the best thing I've heard since SFAM. However I feel it would be unfair for me to rank it above I&W and SFAM right now. It's about on the same level as Awake (pretty damn awesome). I'm sure this will change a bit as time goes on.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2011, 06:29:18 PM »

It's my 2nd favorite DT album

I think this is the best album since SDOIT (my fav)

Rankings:

BTS - One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Top 10 Worthy
BAI - I like it better than LTL, and I LOVE LTL, so another top 10 Worthy song
BITS - This and The Glass Prison are probably my favorite heavy DT songs. Love that riff at the beginning, and the chorus. Top 25 Worthy
FFH - Beautiful song, and I like it better than WFS, Top 25 Worthy
TITL - One of the best ballads DT has done, I can't explain how great it is. Right around top 25
LNF - Great song, and JR's solo, IMO, is one of the best he's done! Top 50 for sure
Outcry - Still hasn't clicked with me just yet, but still get's a top 50 spot
OTBOA - Hearing this for the first time was awesome, and glad it became one of my least favs from the album, as most of the singles do. Top 50
BMUBMD - My least fav from the album, but still a good song. Probably just outside my top 50

+1

2nd fav for me, behind I&W.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »
It was a fantastic album!  ^^

At the very least, it's the best since 8 (one of my favorites, anyways), or even 6 Degrees. 

I'd give it a 9.  Will need to hear it more to really know where it stands, but very positive first impressions. 

Offline dongringo

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »
It's a 10 for me. And it has nothing to do with fanboyism. The 10 is the result of the fact that I love every single moment on the album from start to finish. In fact, that's the only way I listen to this album, from start to finish. And after going on 20 or so listens, it's not diminishing one bit. No other DT album has ever had that effect on me.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 07:51:11 PM »
Average of 8.77 after 123 votes  :tup