Author Topic: 9/11: Did the US foreign policy unintentionally provoke the attacks?  (Read 3693 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Ten years ago we all witnessed how two airplanes crashed into the WTC, a plane crashed into the Pentagon and how some brave citizens crashed flight 93 into an open field in Pennsylvania (whose target was the White House). This is what we saw.

The question then arises: why these attacks took place?

A vague answer soon appeared: "they hate us because our freedom." Intelligent citizens world-wide don't believe this is the answer.
A similar answer emerged: "Muslims are fundamentalists and are intolerant of other peoples religions and their way of living." Again, this answer didn't seem to go the core.
Surprisingly, by watching Bowling for Columbine many years ago I learned that Osama Bin Laden was an ally of the US in the 80s when the government wanted the Taliban to kick the communists out of Afghanistan. It worked. Then the US overstayed their welcome and rode their tanks across desserts where people who actually live there considered sacred. Now this sounds more plausible.

We all agree that the attacks on US soil were terrorist attacks and as brutal as you can get. However, were these attacks provoked by the careless foreign policy of the United States? Did Goliath provoked David? Let's, please, just focus on the bold question and write our opinions specifically on this.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 09:43:16 PM by emindead »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: 9/11: Did the US foreign policy unintentionally provoked the attacks?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:38:08 PM »
Provoke, not provoked. Sorry.

And yes, to more of an extent than some people think, and less than others think.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: 9/11: Did the US foreign policy provoked the attacks?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:38:36 PM »
Yes. American didn't know when to book, and it got its ass handed to it because of it.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:40:04 PM »
When you specifically ask if US Foreign Policy led to the 9/11 attacks, I say its certainly a major factor. We did something for them to want to kill us. But I think when you move to the general terrorist attack anywhere in the 'Western' world, then I would quickly say the reason becomes religious or freedom related.

Hell, maybe its a combination of all these things, plus a general hatred for the infidel.  ???
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:40:46 PM »
We did not directly or intentionally provoke them, but clearly risky decisions were made and we ultimately had some of those decisions end poorly for us. Bin Laden first declared war in 1996, and he was never shy of telling us what his gripes were, and it shouldn't surprise anyone that he never said it's because of our freedoms. We established a military presence in countries where we were not supported by the people. We desecrated holy ground in the eyes of many Muslims. Our foreign policy has supported Israel well before and since 9/11. And in general we have intervened in matters that many would say we had no right to intervene in. Many will come up for justifications for these actions, and debates could be had on every single one. But at the end of the day every decisions came with a certain amount of risk. I am in no way justifying what happened on 9/11, but I find that one of the extra tragedies to come from the event was our inability to learn from it. Obviously patriotism ran strong after the event, but I think it did so to a point that it clouded our judgement, just as such events always have. Look at decisions that were made in the year or two after that have completely lost support since. I fully agreed going into Afghanistan to decimate Al-Quida as much as we reasonably could. However we went well beyond that. We doubled down on failed foreign policy and now are in an impossible war for safety in which we are asked to sacrifice many of the basic liberties and values that we are said to be fighting to protect.

Bin Laden's goal with his attacks weren't to crush America, he did not expect to beat us militarily. His stated goal was to draw America into war in Afghanistan and the middle east in order to deplete our resources and drive us towards bankruptcy. Well, he certainly got his wish. Some still say our actions in Iraq and Afghanistan are still justified, and that the money should still be spent there. I believe that it's tough to admit that big mistakes were made and go back on prior decisions, but I hope that foreign policy does take a large shift soon.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:41:19 PM »
Yes.  The presence we made of ourselves in the ME over the preceding decades was too much, and we had done too much to attempt to force our ways there.  They were clearly sick of it quite some time before 9/11.  Factoring in the radical cults who detest western civilization, there's no doubt that something would of went down at some point.  And 9/11 was that point.   

Offline Scheavo

Re: 9/11: Did the US foreign policy unintentionally provoke the attacks?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:58:19 PM »
Yes, isn't it even a stated reasons for why they happened? Obviously, there are other very important and necessary factors, but our foreign policy was an essential catalyst to 9/11.

It's basic human nature. We are the oppressor in the middle east, by virtue of where we stand in the power pyramid, and to expect anything other than retaliation is stupid. On the same note, our policy sense is only making the situation worse, and we have just breed a whole new generation of people who have reasons to hold a grudge against America.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 10:08:15 PM »
We did not directly or intentionally provoke them, but clearly risky decisions were made and we ultimately had some of those decisions end poorly for us. Bin Laden first declared war in 1996, and he was never shy of telling us what his gripes were, and it shouldn't surprise anyone that he never said it's because of our freedoms. We established a military presence in countries where we were not supported by the people. We desecrated holy ground in the eyes of many Muslims. Our foreign policy has supported Israel well before and since 9/11. And in general we have intervened in matters that many would say we had no right to intervene in. Many will come up for justifications for these actions, and debates could be had on every single one. But at the end of the day every decisions came with a certain amount of risk. I am in no way justifying what happened on 9/11, but I find that one of the extra tragedies to come from the event was our inability to learn from it. Obviously patriotism ran strong after the event, but I think it did so to a point that it clouded our judgement, just as such events always have. Look at decisions that were made in the year or two after that have completely lost support since. I fully agreed going into Afghanistan to decimate Al-Quida as much as we reasonably could. However we went well beyond that. We doubled down on failed foreign policy and now are in an impossible war for safety in which we are asked to sacrifice many of the basic liberties and values that we are said to be fighting to protect.

Bin Laden's goal with his attacks weren't to crush America, he did not expect to beat us militarily. His stated goal was to draw America into war in Afghanistan and the middle east in order to deplete our resources and drive us towards bankruptcy. Well, he certainly got his wish. Some still say our actions in Iraq and Afghanistan are still justified, and that the money should still be spent there. I believe that it's tough to admit that big mistakes were made and go back on prior decisions, but I hope that foreign policy does take a large shift soon.

This exactly.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:46:48 PM »
I think Nick's pretty correct in his assessment.  It's hard to deny that we're dealing with significant blowback.  However,  you run that risk through action or inaction.  Sometimes you're just not going to win, and insofar as pissing off the lunatic element,  sometimes you're not going to avoid it.  If it weren't Bin Laden, it could just as easily been some other asshole with some other list of grievances; merit is irrelevant. 

Let's also keep in mind that Bin Laden isn't necessarily the most reliable source of intel regarding his intentions.  For one thing,  there's a difference between the official story,  the story you use to motivate your followers, and the story that really speaks to you.   Furthermore,   I'm sure he was fairly pissed off about our presence in the Holy Land,  but I think there was probably more to it than that.  It seems to me that the guy was, for lack of a better term,  a natural born mujahideen, and he was going to follow his path, regardless of the who or why.

So in short,  yes our foreign policy played a part in the attacks,  but it probably didn't make any difference one way or the other. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:14:52 PM »
Furthermore,   I'm sure he was fairly pissed off about our presence in the Holy Land,  but I think there was probably more to it than that.  It seems to me that the guy was, for lack of a better term,  a natural born mujahideen, and he was going to follow his path, regardless of the who or why.

Well, he was part of the Royal Family, ya? I guess my point is, when you say it's more about our presence in the Holy Land, do you mean specifically that it has religious merit, or the fact that we're meddling in their daily affairs? I honestly think religion has a secondary role in it all, it's a justification for anger than the source of anger.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:16 PM »
Part of the royal family?  I thought he was just from an important and wealthy family.  Either way,  I'm not sure how much any of those arguments mattered to him.  Maybe he was seething about it for religious or secular reasons.  Maybe he just hated America and gathered up all of the excuses he could conjure up. 

My inclination is the same as yours, which is that is religion was probably not as important to him as he let on,  though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 01:44:33 AM »
I could very easily be wrong about the Royal family thing, I just thought he was related in some fashion, or is it just his connections to the royal family? Either way, a family of power in Saudi Arabia, so he was able to witness first hand the influence American had.

Ya, there will always be loose hinges, but loose hinges can't form massive international organizations fighting oppression. There's plenty of crazy people shouting inane shit out on plenty of street corners across America, but no one's listening. This isn't something like the recent Oslo bombing and shooting.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 08:36:16 AM »
Picking up from the other thread:

Right, although I think that's a problem that can't be simply waved away.  Considering the large role we did have in the world (and still do, in spite of recent troubles), we really can't afford to be ignorant of the extent of our reach and the consequences thereof (it seems a little too obvious to point out that that is, after all, how we ended up in this mess in the first place).
I agree that nobody should be ignorant of the role we play in things,  but I still maintain that we can't avoid playing some role, and how it'll turn out is beyond anyone's guess.  If Star Trek's taught us anything , it's that you can really only predict consequences out to an extremely short distance, and because of that,  blowback will always be.

A few months ago I was advocating defending Benghazi.  I can't really argue with the position that we shouldn't be spending money to step in.  I think it's a fairly heartless stance, but checkbooks don't lie.  However,  I disputed the notion that we shouldn't go because of the blowback that we've caused and will continue to create.  If the consequences 5 years down the pike are impossible to predict, with the potential outcome going with or against you,  then the right move is the one that makes since at the time.  Trying to predict the future is a waste of time and resources. 
E.F. Benson

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 08:44:40 AM »
its called 'THE JIHAD'...  it is ingrained into to muslim culture.. only a fool would think otherwise.

Read Robert Spencer.

and the WTC was attacked before.. and people were killed... we all knew it was coming..the maddrasses every Friday all over are churning out the needed martyers to attack the infidels all over the world..this is as stupid as saying that "the problem with Israel is about land" .... another total joke, its not about land, its about destruction of infidels and taking over all land and subjugation of Christians and Jews.... look at Egypt today..its going down the drain, not that it was wonderful before, the Copts still be burned from their churches and live in ghettos, Jews? Pulllleeeze.. not allowed any rights or the right to even live period..
we can never do anything to stop it, it has nothing to do with the USA or our policy, they just want us all to be gone, so any policy of enlightenment is not wanted. look at Turkey, its about to explode, there are no moderate Arab countries, sadly.. The Monarchies can not control their masses and the extremist are winning..period.

Arab Spring.. pffffffffffffttttttttt... Good luck with that..

PS: please just read my posts and Do NOT bait me or try to get me into a quoted argument to back this or that up.. what I am saying is 100% true, I will not go down some juvenile acedemic wankfest here on punctuation or that "my sources are no good"... laughable stuff to me... My sources are called well known facts.
read my posts or dont. Thank You..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:09:09 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 08:57:11 AM »

I was going to start wanking all over you with my juvenile academics (like sourcing outlandish claims!), but decided there wouldn't be a point.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »
only a fool would think otherwise.
The Monarchies can not control their masses and the extremist are winning..period.

PS: please just read my posts and Do NOT bait me or try to get me into a quoted argument to back this or that up.. what I am saying is 100% true, I will not go down some juvenile acedemic wankfest here on punctuation or that "my sources are no good"... laughable stuff to me... My sources are called well known facts.

You can either learn to constructively add to this discussion, or you can stay out of it, the choice is yours. There will be none of this crap about you know the way it is and everyone else is wrong, period. If you only want to have a debate with yourself do it in your own head, not in this thread.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 09:16:47 AM »
yeah epicview you really brought that on yourself.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 09:21:48 AM »
The Monarchies can not control their masses and the extremist are winning..period.

You can either learn to constructively add to this discussion, or you can stay out of it, the choice is yours. There will be none of this crap about you know the way it is and everyone else is wrong, period. If you only want to have a debate with yourself do it in your own head, not in this thread.

Huh? does anyone wathcing history think the Monarchies can hold back their masses? we see it all over? Libya, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria,.. etc.. again 'Only a FOOL would think otherwise!!!"... is that outragous??? no.... Turkey is going to go up soon.. so is Jordan.. this is basic stuff in the papers today..and on the topic!!! The USA is just another domino they want to topple with the stealth Jihad and the violent Jihad..both tools they use..again, it has nothing to do with our policy. we are simple infidels..The hosting countries dance  with the extremists hoping to stay out of the path of destruction and pont them to hate the West, the USA and of course.. the dreaded Israel..LOL..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:34:21 AM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:46 AM »
Turkey isn't a monarchy.  It's a secular republic.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »

I would support this point of view pretty much 100%.  As I understand it, another source of Osama's (besides being an ally of Israel) is that he felt the U.S. had pretty much abandoned the Mujahdeen (sp?) in the 80's where we had been supporting the then cold war era freedom fighter's against the occupying Soviet Union.  I think that Osama fet the U.S. should have been more directly involved against the Soviets and when we pulled support in the way of weapons and CIA/"Advisor" based training of the Mujahadeen, he turned on America.   I heard this on a NBC news special back in the day shortly after 9/11/01
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 09:35:15 AM »

Huh? does anyone wathcing history think the Monarchies can hold back their masses? we see it all over? Libya, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria,.. etc.. again 'Only a FOOL would think otherwise!!!"... is that outragous??? no.... Turkey is going to go up soon.. so is Jordan.. this is basic stuff in the papers today..and on the topic!!! The USA is just another domino they want to topple with the stealth Jihad and the violent Jihad..both tools they use..again, it has nothing to do with our policy. we are simple infidels..The hosting counties dance  with the extremists hoping to stay out of the path of destruction...

Tyrants are losing control for sure, but I'm not sure what lines you are trying to draw to extremists. For the most parts these uprisings are populist and freedom based movements, and I would say they have been fueled not by religion, but against what is state sponsored religious doctrines in many cases.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 09:52:26 AM »
Nick.. sadly they are not, they start as  so called"freedom movements" but.. Egypt is falling deeper and deeper to the Muslim extremists ..the Muslim Botherhood and relations with Israel and the religious minorities like the Copts are being destroyed. Erdogan is going there to puff out his chest hoping to not be next

actually Egypt is destroyed.. business is dead there.. no Co will rebuild..it is going to spiral downward..but thats another subject..

most here know that this is a very passionate subject for me...hence why I dont post much anymore

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 10:36:55 AM »
I'm in too much of a good mood just got back from picking up ADTOE and I wanna strike myself with a million stone for looking into this thread even though I noticed this ^ posted in here.
Aside from boiling my blood and ears from the offense as usual; it's a lying fear mongering bigot, that's all it is. Twisting the truth into uglier versions of it and I'm content and happy now I can live with it cause I've seen and met Americans who are nothing like it. But it can still ruin my day. I left the laptop when I saw the posts so I wouldn't reply right away and get banned. Live in your scary fuckin tea party imagination as much as you like, I can see you're having a blast feeling you know things that others don't :lol . I was gonna quote every piece of shit line and reply to it but it's so unworthy, especially on this day.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 10:43:02 AM »
Yes. Meddling in the middle east for 50 years caused crazy Muslim extremists to hate us. Absolutely.

I don't see Muslim extremists attacking other free (for the most part) countries like Switzerland, Canada, and Poland. These three countries have strong, Western influences, but I don't see them meddling and getting attacked as a result. Women and gays have rights in these countries and are not stoned and beheaded.

Installing democracies may have good intentions (sometimes), but policing the world is a mistake we can't afford to pay for anymore.

They don't hate us for our freedom. They hate us because we have a history of MEDDLING.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/nov/24/theobserver

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 10:50:54 AM »
This is clearly a very passionate issue for various members.

Please post cautiously.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 10:53:35 AM »
I'm in too much of a good mood just got back from picking up ADTOE and I wanna strike myself with a million stone for looking into this thread even though I noticed this ^ posted in here.
Aside from boiling my blood and ears from the offense as usual; it's a lying fear mongering bigot, that's all it is. Twisting the truth into uglier versions of it and I'm content and happy now I can live with it cause I've seen and met Americans who are nothing like it. But it can still ruin my day. I left the laptop when I saw the posts so I wouldn't reply right away and get banned. Live in your scary fuckin tea party imagination as much as you like, I can see you're having a blast feeling you know things that others don't :lol . I was gonna quote every piece of shit line and reply to it but it's so unworthy, especially on this day.

:sad:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Oh did I offend you? I must've called you and your beliefs violent and evil at some point.. I'm such a fuckin dick, I so should be banned.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
This is only going to escalate into a closed thread.

Move on.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
Here's something that I've tried to ponder.  If the US suddenly renounced all of it's interventionist ways, and adopted a policy of strict isolationism,  would we cease to be a target?  Personally,  I don't think so.  I think our policies certainly foster resentment, but I also think that there are many other factors.  We are a target if for no other reason than our status.  If it's not propping up Israel or installing puppet governments,  it's going to be our rampant consumerism,  our hogging of natural resources or some other quality.  Just as likely,  it's going to be the exceptionalism we're discussing in the other thread.

Just because we stop providing justifications doesn't mean we'll stop being hated for any number of reasons.
E.F. Benson

Offline PraXis

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 11:15:58 AM »
Here's something that I've tried to ponder.  If the US suddenly renounced all of it's interventionist ways, and adopted a policy of strict isolationism,  would we cease to be a target?  Personally,  I don't think so.  I think our policies certainly foster resentment, but I also think that there are many other factors.  We are a target if for no other reason than our status.  If it's not propping up Israel or installing puppet governments,  it's going to be our rampant consumerism,  our hogging of natural resources or some other quality.  Just as likely,  it's going to be the exceptionalism we're discussing in the other thread.

Just because we stop providing justifications doesn't mean we'll stop being hated for any number of reasons.

We would not become a target if you state your policy clearly for the world to hear, i.e. if you attack us, we will retaliate in ways you cannot imagine. Don't screw with us.

Peace through trade. :)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »

I think isolationism would be impossible for the US... Unless we somehow managed to produce everyhing in house and supply all that we need to sustain us energy wise. As long as we do business with the rest of the planet, we will have enemies. And, as long as we keep depending on the Saudis for oil, we can never really fully retaliate to anyone over there, regardless of the damage done to us.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:25 PM »
I never bought in to the "they hate us because of our freedoms" argument as motivation for 9/11. it makes for good PR, but I find it hard to believe bin Laden is celebrating in hell just knowing that we now have to take off our shoes at the airport.

I was also wondering if the spooks and goons at the DoD and NSA have some sort of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) plan for the post Cold War world. It also helped that the US and the USSR pretty much knew what the other was capable of.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »
I never bought in to the "they hate us because of our freedoms" argument as motivation for 9/11. it makes for good PR, but I find it hard to believe bin Laden is celebrating in hell just knowing that we now have to take off our shoes at the airport.

I was also wondering if the spooks and goons at the DoD and NSA have some sort of MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) plan for the post Cold War world. It also helped that the US and the USSR pretty much knew what the other was capable of.

I was watching a show on the smithsonian channel last night about 9/11. It wasn't about the attacks or the people affected. It was all dedicated to the stuff going on behind the scenes with air force one and Bush's staff. A big point it made was how no real plans were in place for that kind of event. The most current stuff (for the most part) was how we'd deal with attacks during the cold war, and events that could happen today and if they were carried out as they would have been during the cold war. It went on to say that the books have been rewritten and procedures redesigned from scratch. I don't know how reliable that is, but I would e amazed if that weren't the case.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 01:42:12 PM »

I think isolationism would be impossible for the US... Unless we somehow managed to produce everyhing in house and supply all that we need to sustain us energy wise. As long as we do business with the rest of the planet, we will have enemies. And, as long as we keep depending on the Saudis for oil, we can never really fully retaliate to anyone over there, regardless of the damage done to us.
I agree that it's not possible, but that's not relevant to my hypothetical scenario, and therefore the question at hand.  We're discussing whether or not our foreign policy provoked the attacks, and I'm questioning whether or not people think we would cease being targets if we adopted the most isolationist policies imaginable. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »

Interesting question. I am sure there are those in Sandland that will hate the US regardless, and of course attacking the Infidel is a sure way to ensure your place in paradise. But if those with power and money over there are comfy enough without us in their hair (or turbans), I am not sure they would go to the trouble to scare up the resources and plans for any terrorist attacks just because we have cheap blue jeans and let our women walk around in public with short skirts.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'