Author Topic: So, I'm trying to watch predators.  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: So, I'm trying to watch predators.
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2018, 07:02:34 PM »
I accept the fact that I would be in the minority in that discussion, as everyone seems to fawn over that character. I also have not seen that movie in a long, long time. Maybe I would feel differently upon viewing it again. But not likely.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 01:57:44 PM »
Predator is a classic, iconic movie and not dated at all.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2018, 02:35:49 PM »
GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
By the way, I’ve asked this before but who the hell watches movies out of order? Do people watch Iron Man 3 without seeing the original or The Force Awakens before the original trilogy? Never understood this.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2018, 06:38:16 PM »
I have an odd soft spot for Predators, there are definitely issues abound but overall I liked it. I thought it mostly captured the descent into the hopelessness of the first movie and I don't mind not having it being answered how the humans got there. The casting choices are rather peculiar but they didn't detract me.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »
By the way, I’ve asked this before but who the hell watches movies out of order? Do people watch Iron Man 3 without seeing the original or The Force Awakens before the original trilogy? Never understood this.

People, in fact, do this.

It's the main reason I decided to become a psychologist. These people need help.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2018, 07:01:04 AM »
Predator is a classic!  Great action film with really cool special effects (at the time).  I guess I could see how it seems dated, seeing it was made 31 years ago.  A lot of movies from that era seem dated.  For example... the last time I watched Scarface I could barely watch it.  The soundtrack was cheesy AF and the dialogue not much better.  That being said, when it was new back then it was EPIC!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »
At the risk of continuing the off-topic discussion...
ALIEN is the epitome of a suspense/horror and ALIENS is perfect as an action/thriller. Ridley Scott set a pretty creepy tone with ALIEN and kept that mood the whole way through.

Yes, but...have you ever watched the "director's cut" of Alien?  (I put "director's cut" in quotes because Scott feels very strongly that that term should not apply, and I can't remember what the extended version is actually called.  Or am I confusing that with the extended cut of Aliens, and that it was actually Cameron bristling at use of that term?  As I'm typing this out now, I realize that I can't remember which.  :lol  Anyway...)  It illustrates that his original vision for the film was just different enough that it in some ways changes the overall vibe of the film.  And in some ways, it also illustrates that his vision was, at times, kind of a mess.  I was in denial about this for SUCH a long time.  But Prometheus and Covenant, including the behind-the-scenes drama in recent years about the direction of the series as a whole, have kind of unintentionally hammered that point home for me.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2018, 11:40:29 AM »
ALIEN is the epitome of a suspense/horror and ALIENS is perfect as an action/thriller. Ridley Scott set a pretty creepy tone with ALIEN and kept that mood the whole way through.

Yes, but...have you ever watched the "director's cut" of Alien?  (I put "director's cut" in quotes because Scott feels very strongly that that term should not apply, and I can't remember what the extended version is actually called.  Or am I confusing that with the extended cut of Aliens, and that it was actually Cameron bristling at use of that term?  As I'm typing this out now, I realize that I can't remember which.  :lol  Anyway...)  It illustrates that his original vision for the film was just different enough that it in some ways changes the overall vibe of the film.  And in some ways, it also illustrates that his vision was, at times, kind of a mess.  I was in denial about this for SUCH a long time.  But Prometheus and Covenant, including the behind-the-scenes drama in recent years about the direction of the series as a whole, have kind of unintentionally hammered that point home for me.

The extended directors cut of ALIENS doesn't really alter much for the movies 'feel'. Just some extra actions scenes from what I can remember.

I've only seen the extended cut of ALIEN once....a LONG time ago....and from what I remember a romance between Ripley and Dallas was heavily implied and there was a scene where Ripley found Dallas cocooned to a wall....still alive....but a chest burster came out. Basically the scene from ALIENS in the sub-station with the colonist.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2018, 03:08:22 PM »
I feel the same about the Aliens director cut as I do about the T2 directors cut. The new scenes are neat to see once, but ultimately they just drag the film out. I typically will just watch the theatrical cut.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2018, 03:26:37 PM »
The only ones I remember from Aliens were a couple of scenes near the beginning about the colonists discovering the ship and the results of that, which I thought actually added a lot to the story (although not knowing and having the mystery of how it all could have happened kept intact was just as valid).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2018, 06:58:10 PM »

The extended directors cut of ALIENS doesn't really alter much for the movies 'feel'. Just some extra actions scenes from what I can remember.

I've only seen the extended cut of ALIEN once....a LONG time ago....and from what I remember a romance between Ripley and Dallas was heavily implied and there was a scene where Ripley found Dallas cocooned to a wall....still alive....but a chest burster came out. Basically the scene from ALIENS in the sub-station with the colonist.

Actually no chest-burster. The original concept was that prey was slowly and agonizingly transformed into eggs from which the face-huggers hatched.