Author Topic: So, I'm trying to watch predators.  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
So, I'm trying to watch predators.
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »
I started watching about twenty minutes in. I have watched about twenty, maybe twenty five minutes so far. This movie is absolutely terrible. The only one of these movies I've seen before was AVP, which I didn't think was too bad. Are the other movies from this saga any good?

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: So, I'm trying to watch predators.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »
I thought Predators was better than AVP

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 07:36:33 PM »
Isn't that the one with a clearly Brazilian girl playing an IDF soldier?

Yea, awful movie.

One of the major problems is if you can kill like 5 different predators, they're not scary anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »
You've never seen Predator? WATCH IT NAO!!!!

The sequels are too shit.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
Wait... Black guy from The Matrix has the to go invisible? I'm confused

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
Are any of the preditor movies worth watching?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »
I liked more than the AVP films AND Predator 2.

Also, did this needed it's own thread?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »
Are any of the preditor movies worth watching?

Yes, the first one with Ahnuld. Predator 2 is boring, and the rest are just idiots making movies with a topic they know nothing about.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
I liked more than the AVP films AND Predator 2.

Also, did this needed it's own thread?

I thought it did. I'd like to hear more about the movies. Not everyone goes in the movie thread. Star Wars, Avatar, and Harry Potter all have their own.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 08:09:12 PM »
Predator 1 is a great, classic movie and well worth watching.

Predator 2 is... not bad. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I seem to recall it being just kind of okay. Not up to par with the first movie, but certainly not terrible.

Predators was really disappointing and I'm not sure why, as I had fairly low expectations for it when I watched it.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »
I've never seen Alien OR Predator.

Hate away, boys.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:21:22 PM »
I've never seen Alien OR Predator.

Hate away, boys.

Aliens > Alien > Predator > lol

Anyways, they all deserve to be seen. All are great movies.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 08:24:50 PM »
I do plan on seeing all of them. Alien is next on my list since I'm going through the top 250 movies on IMDB.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:23 PM »
That was such a boring ending. I was hoping an epic battle with like a dozen of the predators, not just one.

Offline Adami

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »
That was such a boring ending. I was hoping an epic battle with like a dozen of the predators, not just one.

See, you missed the entire point of their species. Which isn't your fault, the movie missed it too. They're not fighters, they're hunters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »

See, you missed the entire point of their species. Which isn't your fault, the movie missed it too. They're not fighters, they're hunters.

Pretty much.

Did anyone see Predators....waaaait. I thought you were talking about Predator 2. Shit, you're saying PredatorS is shit? Noooo!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »

No, I got that.  Humans are hunters as well. Whenever there is tough game, larger numbers are better. When our ancestors hunted mastodons we needed several people. You don't see two man crews crab fishing, or single men trying to steal a kill from a lion.

Offline Adami

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »
Yes, but that's not how they operate, which is demonstrated in the other movies. They would allow one of their own to be killed by the prey and just observe. They have no desire for conquest, just hunting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »
Yes, but that's not how they operate, which is demonstrated in the other movies. They would allow one of their own to be killed by the prey and just observe. They have no desire for conquest, just hunting.
That. And they learn what lead to the other's demise, adapt and become a better hunter.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Adami

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 08:56:36 PM »
They really are a fascinating species, and I really wish they could get a movie written and directed by people who actually understand the essence of their race.

If they want to an AVP movie, they should have the predators put one of their own alone on a ship with aliens and see how he does. Maybe even two predators to give them a fighting chance, but that way there be no humans (hell probably even no dialogue in the whole movie) and it would be completely about the hunt of the predators and the conquest of the aliens. I guess if they want Sigourney Weaver can show up at the end and claim that there is only Zuul or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Deadpool

• Formerly CountVoorhees
  • KrotchRaut Rules!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 04:27:05 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 04:32:55 AM »
I started watching about twenty minutes in. I have watched about twenty, maybe twenty five minutes so far. This movie is absolutely terrible. The only one of these movies I've seen before was AVP, which I didn't think was too bad. Are the other movies from this saga any good?
Why would you watch this without seeing the original?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 06:30:20 AM »
When I read predators in the thread title I immediately thought of pedophiles, then the move.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
Why would you watch this without seeing the original?

Because it was on one of the movie channels. It didn't even occur to me that it was one of the movies in the series until I recognized the thing from AVP. I turned it on as soon as they were showing the sky over that valley with all the planets and shit in the sky. That got my interest really quick. Seeing as I missed the beginning of the movie, how did all the random people get there? And I was confused about the character from that 70s show... Was he evil the entire movie, or just when he wanted the sniper girl to get killed instead of him?

Offline Adami

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 10:59:40 AM »
You didn t miss much. How did they get there? They literally just fell there around and topher being evil was the twist, it doesn't matter though. Like they needeed a humaan villian anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
I love Adrien Brody but man I could not take his badass act seriously in this movie.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 09:38:08 PM »

New movie

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 02:27:43 AM »
For anyone who has not seen the original predator with schwarzenegger, that's the one to watch, and the one that started it all. It will probably feel dated by today's standards, but its full of classic lines, classic scenes and was one of my favorite movies growing up.

Predator 2 was strongly disliked when it came out, but I'll take it anyday over the AVP films. I personally really like it, but its not for everyone.

Predators was ok, but reminded me a lot of the The Thing remake. It was marketed as its own thing, but is just a soft reboot that fails to recapture the excellence of the original.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 06:10:14 AM »
I recall kind of enjoying Predators, not that it was good, but I don't remember it being bad, but that was also awhile ago.  It might not have aged well at all because it was kind of a B movie at it's time.

Anyway, the original is the only "good" Predator movie.  The AVP movies were shit.

And if we continue, the Alien series, the first two were really good in that series and the rest were pretty much garbage.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 06:37:35 AM »

And if we continue, the Alien series, the first two were really good in that series and the rest were pretty much garbage.

Totally agree. For anyone that is looking to explore the Alien series, check out the first Alien and its sequel Aliens. Those are rock solid, and worth watching for any fan of movies. After that, its just meh imo.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 06:54:34 AM »

Totally agree. For anyone that is looking to explore the Alien series, check out the first Alien and its sequel Aliens. Those are rock solid, and worth watching for any fan of movies. After that, its just meh imo.

Yep. First two ALIEN movies are the only ones to concern yourself with seeing. The third one was ‘ok’ but just a horrible idea and way to follow one of the greatest....if not THE greatest sequel ever made.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 06:59:21 AM »

Yep. First two ALIEN movies are the only ones to concern yourself with seeing. The third one was ‘ok’ but just a horrible idea and way to follow one of the greatest....if not THE greatest sequel ever made.

Yea, it could be the greatest sequel for a movie.  It's interesting how the first one was more horror (Ridley Scott) and the second was more action (James Cameron) and both have different feels to them, yet both are really good movies.  You don't really see that with movies and sequels.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 05:06:09 PM »
Brian.....I would make a good effort to watch ALIEN and ALIENS......maybe not back to back the same night but I’d watch them close together....perhaps alternate days.

ALIEN is the epitome of a suspense/horror and ALIENS is perfect as an action/thriller. Ridley Scott set a pretty creepy tone with ALIEN and kept that mood the whole way through. And As much as you like what Cameron did with AVATAR I think you’d love ALIENS....it still holds up strong all these years later. You can see Cameron really getting his feet underneath him in that one. Some of the best characters can be found in that movie also. ‘Hudson’ in particular could be my favorite character ever.

Predator holds up as well. Just watched it about a month ago and aside from the couple ‘cheesy’ obligatory Arnold line drops story and production are still solid. Predator 2 was entertaining as well....but nowhere near as good as the original.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 05:17:57 PM »
Is this thread about Alien/Aliens now?

When I saw Alien the first time, it was not at all what my youthful mind wanted. There was no action, no adventure. When I revisited it years later, I realized I had viewed it improperly, and was then able to recognize it for the masterpiece it is.

I saw Aliens much later, knowing it was a much different movie, and thus was able to enjoy it, though don't hold it in as high regard as many others do. If I recall, Hudson is Bill Paxton's character. If so, he is go goddamn annoying. I get that it is character, but there is nothing funny or entertaining about him. If he were in my platoon, he would suffer the same fate as Doug Neidermeyer.

Never seen the other Alien movies, or any other Predator movie for that matter.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 06:43:01 PM »
Is this thread about Alien/Aliens now?

When I saw Alien the first time, it was not at all what my youthful mind wanted. There was no action, no adventure. When I revisited it years later, I realized I had viewed it improperly, and was then able to recognize it for the masterpiece it is.

I saw Aliens much later, knowing it was a much different movie, and thus was able to enjoy it, though don't hold it in as high regard as many others do. If I recall, Hudson is Bill Paxton's character. If so, he is go goddamn annoying. I get that it is character, but there is nothing funny or entertaining about him. If he were in my platoon, he would suffer the same fate as Doug Neidermeyer.

Never seen the other Alien movies, or any other Predator movie for that matter.

Not to start a debate but I whole heartedly disagree with you about Bill Paxton’s character, Hudson. Emphatically disagree to the point of perhaps starting a new thread dedicated to just rebutting your assertion  :lol