Author Topic: Went to see HEART last night...  (Read 596 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Went to see HEART last night...
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
I went to go see HEART last night. I last saw them in May 2005 or 2006 (I forget) when Mike Inez was still on bass. I have to say, they played an incredible 66 minutes. Lots of energy from Ann and Nancy. They played Rock and Roll from Zepp to start, then Magic Man, and a bunch of stuff, including the 80s anthems These Dreams, What About Love and Alone. They closed the show with an encore of Sand and then a cover of the Who's "Love, Reign o'er Me."

Fantastic performance.

Being a fan of many of the Seattle rock and metal bands (I have a thing for Seattle music -- Jimi, Heart, Queensryche -- the REAL band -- Fifth Angel, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mother Love Bone, etc.), it was great seeing the Wilson sisters still kickin' out the jams.

Ann Wilson sounded great. Talk about a live performance lesson. NO autotune for Ann. In fact, my wife read an interview where Ann said that autotune is so abused, sounds absurd, and you'd never catch her ever using it. She belted out the songs. But her voice, while losing a little of the high end, was still powerful and captivating.

She really stood out as an example of a GREAT, legendary singer, who's voice loses something, but the loss is one that is graceful. She got a little gravelly on some of the higher extended parts, but it wasn't bad, and some notes she kept a little shorter or brought them down a bit, but while I noticed, I never *missed* it.

For me, it's the same as RJD and Bruce Dickinson. Neither of those guys, the last time I saw them, had the high range they did 25 years ago. But it was still good, and they sang well.  Being the hardcore fan of the ORIGINAL LINEUP of Queensryche, it pains me to listen to a jackass like Geoff Tate and what he has done to his voice....not even an ounce of effort to maintain and break bad vocal habits.

Ann was in great form, you could tell she was enjoying herself, and her technique was on full display. She looked good too. She had put on a few more lbs. back in the mid-2000s, but she's thinned out a bit too, which probably helps with her breathing a bit.

Nancy was great too. Wish she would play more lead guitar, because I know she can, but obviously most of her stuff is rhythm in Heart.

I didn't stay for Def Leppard. I'm not a huge fan, but I have seen them twice. 2000 at Jones Beach, and 2006 in Nor Cal. But being a Sunday night, and the ticket not being expensive, I thought I got my value with Heart and headed home.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: Went to see HEART last night...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »
Heart is awesome. Saw them once opening for Def Leppard and a second time headlining. They do kick serious ass, and their rendition of Love Reign O'er Me is brilliant...Pearl Jam's is still better though.