Author Topic: Why does Christianity seem to be bashed so much on this subforum?  (Read 6694 times)

Offline William Wallace

Re: Why does Christianity seem to be bashed so much on this subforum?
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 02:14:21 PM »
Have you never considered the possibility that your judgment is clouded by your personal bias of what constitutes a good argument and what not? You accuse me of using incredulity; I find you all too often resort to plain dismissiveness.

rumborak
Not really. 

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
Actually, the only religion I have seen that gets outwardly bashed and allowed to be bashed is Jehovah's Witness. It's sad, but thankfully that faith doesn't get brought up all that often.

Whats the official stance on Hare-Krishna's? :lol
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 02:58:21 PM »
they are great in Airplane   :lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 05:06:53 PM »
Maybe third times the charm:

WW, please give me your proof of why God exists according to the Christian Bible.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2011, 05:20:23 PM »
welcome to the internet
This is exactly it.  Unless you are specifically on a Christian website, chances are most people will disagree with it.  I don't exactly know the reason for the Internet community being so skewed.  More young people?  More free thinkers?  A culture of it's own?  I dunno.

But if you stick around, you'll see that there are a fair number of Christian posters that speak up.  We've had some really good ("good" by Internet standards) around here.
You seem to be one of the super veterans on P/R. I will follow your lead.

Wow, you are very new here. :lol

This board is very respectful mostly. I do like it when it gets heated though. Really cool to see those discussions.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2011, 07:08:16 PM »
I definitely didn't get that impression, it seemed fairly balanced here to me. And while some threads get a bit heated up, I don't think I've ever seen anything actually "angry" or "false".

(I know I don't post much in P/R but I lurk here quite regularily)

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 07:45:52 PM »

WW, please give me your proof of why God exists according to the Christian Bible.
This really isn't the thread for that discussion.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2011, 08:08:38 PM »
I have yet to hear of a plausible explanation for the empty tomb.  the ones I have heard seem to have too many holes in it. 

and no one has yet come up with a reasonable argument against my "God-exists-because-of-boobs" theory either  :biggrin:

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2011, 08:20:35 PM »
I have yet to hear of a plausible explanation for the empty tomb.  the ones I have heard seem to have too many holes in it. 

and no one has yet come up with a reasonable argument against my "God-exists-because-of-boobs" theory either  :biggrin:

Unfortunately, your theory is based on "attractive" boobs.  Bad boobs, like ones that remind me of Marty Feldmans eyes, or 90 yr old boobs that are hang lower and are more wrinkly than my ballsac, are proof there is no god.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2011, 09:02:21 PM »
 :rollin

or at least not a benevelont one

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 10:37:27 PM »

Meh, then start a new one. I think it's a natural progression of the discussion per the points you brought up, that people take swings at Christianity and can't address proofs for god existence.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 10:56:08 PM »

Meh, then start a new one. I think it's a natural progression of the discussion per the points you brought up, that people take swings at Christianity and can't address proofs for god existence.
No, you. Though I can't promise that I'll be useful in your new thread. My playground is New Testament history and exegesis, not philosophical proofs of God's existence. The latter I find boring.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 12:29:33 AM »

No, you. Though I can't promise that I'll be useful in your new thread. My playground is New Testament history and exegesis, not philosophical proofs of God's existence. The latter I find boring.

No, you're right, but this pretty much suffices for an answer to me. So thanks.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 05:09:26 PM »
So I better not mention I'm Catholic?

I'll get all the shit from neighbors when they find out I listen to the DEVILS Music  :P
Unironically a lot of my serious religious friends quit talking to me when I told them I listen to metal lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 05:12:40 PM »
Actually, yeah, we are tolerant of Christianity, but not Catholicism. Sorry. :biggrin:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2011, 05:41:46 PM »
Damn Lutherans/Protestants/Evangelists/Baptists  :xbones
lol
Seriously though, my old boss at my old job used to literally hate lutherans.  It was really weird.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »

I'll get all the shit from neighbors when they find out I listen to the DEVILS Music  :P
Unironically a lot of my serious religious friends quit talking to me when I told them I listen to metal lol
If you get bashed here, it won't be for listening to metal. Though I'll make fun of you for listening to 80s metal. And that has nothing to do with your catholicity.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 08:31:29 PM »

If you get bashed here, it won't be for listening to metal. Though I'll make fun of you for listening to 80s metal. And that has nothing to do with your catholicity.
Death and Exodus forever  :metal :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2011, 07:02:31 AM »
Probably best.  :biggrin:

I was raised Lutheran, but now I'm a progressive Bapticostal with Episcopalian tendencies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2011, 07:52:17 AM »
If I were Christian, I would want to be a Carpocratian. Those guys rocked:

Carpocratians derived from a native of Asia, Carpocrates, who taught his followers to perform every obscenity and every sinful act. And unless one proceeds through all of them, he said, and fulfils the will of all demons and angels, he cannot mount to the highest heaven or get by the principalities and authorities.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »

Carpocratians derived from a native of Asia, Carpocrates, who taught his followers to perform every obscenity and every sinful act. And unless one proceeds through all of them, he said, and fulfils the will of all demons and angels, he cannot mount to the highest heaven or get by the principalities and authorities.

rumborak

I would imagine that has something to due with the Asian religions that have like 103 deadly sins or something to that effect.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »

rumborak
I don't know if you would really want to be one.  When they say every obscenity, they mean it.  Including pedophilia (even with infants), incest, infanticide, everything.  Not just the fun sins.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »

rumborak
I don't know if you would really want to be one.  When they say every obscenity, they mean it.  Including pedophilia (even with infants), incest, infanticide, everything.  Not just the fun sins.

The obligatory... Those aren't the fun ones?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2011, 11:14:46 AM »

rumborak

From what I understand, it's hard to tease apart slander from fact with the Carpocratians, since the only records we have about them are from orthodox writers who were ranting against them.
From what I understand it was more about the fulfilment of bodily desires. So, infanticide doesn't really fit into that scheme. And I find it hard to believe that any Christian sect would condone murder.

rumborak

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2011, 11:43:13 AM »

rumborak

From what I understand, it's hard to tease apart slander from fact with the Carpocratians, since the only records we have about them are from orthodox writers who were ranting against them.
From what I understand it was more about the fulfilment of bodily desires. So, infanticide doesn't really fit into that scheme. And I find it hard to believe that any Christian sect would condone murder.
rumborak

Why? It's been condoning it all throughout history for various ridiculous reasons. Why would this be any different?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2011, 11:47:16 AM »
Christianity, to my knowledge, has never endorsed murder, especially not of infants, and as part of reaching God. It murdered people as punishment for heresy, but that's very different.

rumborak

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »
Heresy can be anything as it is against the belief or another belief. They could have easily justified it by saying only murder the children of non-believers. It's not a far stretch at all considering they already were killing none believers.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »
That seems a majorly stretched argument in order to arrive at the conclusion that the Carpocratians practiced infanticide. The much more likely explanation is that the authors describing the Carpocratians had good incentive to paint them as monsters, as they were trying to discredit their faiths (gnostic, in this case).

rumborak

Offline Omega

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2011, 01:21:57 PM »
I'm a little confused, and frankly shocked to read through this forum and see so much anger, false claims and slander against Christianity. I figured that on a Dream Theater Forum there would be more people that weren't so antagonistic towards religion, considering Dream Theater are a band comprised of mostly Christians (who even write lyrics in Christian veins occasionally).

I'll just say it was a bit of a shocker to open up this forum and see what I saw, that is, false information, bias, and some other things that bothered me.

BC

I'd say that topics of Christianity are generally discussed here with respect. Just not with intellect...
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2011, 01:22:35 PM »
I'm a little confused, and frankly shocked to read through this forum and see so much anger, false claims and slander against Christianity. I figured that on a Dream Theater Forum there would be more people that weren't so antagonistic towards religion, considering Dream Theater are a band comprised of mostly Christians (who even write lyrics in Christian veins occasionally).

I'll just say it was a bit of a shocker to open up this forum and see what I saw, that is, false information, bias, and some other things that bothered me.

BC

I'd say that topics of Christianity are generally discussed here with respect. Just not with intellect...

:rollin :rollin

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2011, 08:28:03 PM »
That seems a majorly stretched argument in order to arrive at the conclusion that the Carpocratians practiced infanticide. The much more likely explanation is that the authors describing the Carpocratians had good incentive to paint them as monsters, as they were trying to discredit their faiths (gnostic, in this case).

rumborak

I do find that more likely as well. The problem though is that the former is not something that is a stretch of the imagination when it comes to religion.