Author Topic: Why does Christianity seem to be bashed so much on this subforum?  (Read 6693 times)

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
Why does Christianity seem to be bashed so much on this subforum?
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:26:33 AM »
I'm a little confused, and frankly shocked to read through this forum and see so much anger, false claims and slander against Christianity. I figured that on a Dream Theater Forum there would be more people that weren't so antagonistic towards religion, considering Dream Theater are a band comprised of mostly Christians (who even write lyrics in Christian veins occasionally).

I'll just say it was a bit of a shocker to open up this forum and see what I saw, that is, false information, bias, and some other things that bothered me.

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Why does Christianity seem to be bashed so much on this subforum?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:28:26 AM »
I'll just say it was a bit of a shocker to open up this forum and see what I saw, that is, false information, bias, and some other things that bothered me.

BC

I'm not trying to be mean, but welcome to the internet haha.  There are a lot of good posters around here though.  On the same side there are a lot of cynical people too.  You just gotta take the good with the bad and take things with a grain of salt.  Remember they are just people's opinions. 

If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
welcome to the internet
This is exactly it.  Unless you are specifically on a Christian website, chances are most people will disagree with it.  I don't exactly know the reason for the Internet community being so skewed.  More young people?  More free thinkers?  A culture of it's own?  I dunno.

But if you stick around, you'll see that there are a fair number of Christian posters that speak up.  We've had some really good ("good" by Internet standards) discussion around here.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:36:23 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• Meatloaf
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »
welcome to the internet
This is exactly it.  Unless you are specifically on a Christian website, chances are most people will disagree with it.  I don't exactly know the reason for the Internet community being so skewed.  More young people?  More free thinkers?  A culture of it's own?  I dunno.

But if you stick around, you'll see that there are a fair number of Christian posters that speak up.  We've had some really good ("good" by Internet standards) around here.

Cool. I look forward to that.

You seem to be one of the super veterans on P/R. I will follow your lead.

BC

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 09:51:01 AM »
I wouldn't say "super" veteran.  Heck, I would even call myself a veteran of DTF in general.  I just post a lot and try to sound smart. :)
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »
There are a lot of Christians on the baord as well, but we are probably outnumbered by non-religious folks. And most fo the Christians who post in P/R are not your typical "the Bible is perfect and meant to be taken literally" kind of Christians.

• Meatloaf
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:58:30 AM »
There are a lot of Christians on the baord as well, but we are probably outnumbered by non-religious folks. And most fo the Christians who post in P/R are not your typical "the Bible is perfect and meant to be taken literally" kind of Christians.

Well I'm not either.

BC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 10:00:34 AM »
Well I'm not either.

BC
Then you should fit in well! Welcome! :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:53:04 AM by lordxizor »

• Meatloaf
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »
Thank you!

BC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
Kinda puzzled by what you see, honestly.  It seems to me like the Christians here more than hold their own. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
When has there been slander?

This is a forum, after all.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 12:34:08 PM »
I'd say DTF is much more respectful about religious topics than 90% of internet forums actually.

Offline the Catfishman

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 02:21:58 PM »
ha, one of the few reasons I still visit this forum every now and then is because there are relatively many (US) Christians, which is a group I don't usually encounter online and whom's opinion I find somewhat fascinating.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »
I would probably agree more with the OP if you were talking about neal morse site...

Glad to have you here, and hopefully you will enjoy the banter between the yays and the nays and learn a little more about each.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 03:10:52 PM »
I'd say DTF is much more respectful about religious topics than 90% of internet forums actually.
From what I've seen, yeah.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »
Yeah, I see no bashing.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
I definitely think that any  religion-related "anger, false claims and slander" that has been going on here has been happening both ways, and I see no reason to think that Christians are getting it any worse than, say, atheists.  That said, for being a religious section, I think that we really have a very minimum amount of such things.   

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »
Occassionally you have a poster like Sonata come here and just randomly bash christianity, but generally the board might question Christianity and argue against it, but respectfully. And this board has a good amount of christians, which include most of our mods in fact. I'd say that atheism gets bashed a bit more than Christianity here. Actually, the only religion I have seen that gets outwardly bashed and allowed to be bashed is Jehovah's Witness. It's sad, but thankfully that faith doesn't get brought up all that often.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 04:35:20 PM »
Well, to be fair,  I did call God a dick, a while back.   :lol

Actually, the only religion I have seen that gets outwardly bashed and allowed to be bashed is Jehovah's Witness. It's sad, but thankfully that faith doesn't get brought up all that often.
The Catholics actually take it pretty hard around here,  although that mainly comes from other Christians.  Go figure.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »
Actually, the only religion I have seen that gets outwardly bashed and allowed to be bashed is Jehovah's Witness. It's sad, but thankfully that faith doesn't get brought up all that often.
The Catholics actually take it pretty hard around here,  although that mainly comes from other Christians.  Go figure.
I was about to say.

Online Adami

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 05:31:46 PM »
Yea I forgot about the Catholics, they get pretty bashed too. Christianity is probably the least bashed religion here.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 05:35:44 PM »
Yea I forgot about the Catholics, they get pretty bashed too. Christianity is probably the least bashed religion here.

Why do you guys think that is?  Compared to most places on the Internet, Christianity does really well here.  Are we just more respectful?  Is it because our admin and most mods are Christian?  Is it because the Christian posters hold their ground well?  What do you guys think?

Online Adami

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »
I think it's because the Christians who stick around are able to argue their points well without going nuts, and the non christians do the same. Those who come that do not argue their points well and resort to bashing are either banned or driven away by the rest of us.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 05:49:33 PM »
OP, have you ever visited another forum where religious topics are discussed?  I think if you had, you'd realize that this one is remarkably open-minded and reasonable, by internet standards.  Not a whole lot of bashing goes on period, other than a post or two here and there.

-J

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »
I mean I'm just against organized religion in general, so...
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 09:32:23 PM »
I'm a little confused, and frankly shocked to read through this forum and see so much anger, false claims and slander against Christianity. I figured that on a Dream Theater Forum there would be more people that weren't so antagonistic towards religion, considering Dream Theater are a band comprised of mostly Christians (who even write lyrics in Christian veins occasionally).

BC
I don't really feel this way; everybody's usually cordial around here. Still, people can take as many swings at Christianity as they wish, though they usually can't answer good arguments. And that's what counts.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2011, 01:45:53 AM »

BC
I don't really feel this way; everybody's usually cordial around here. Still, people can take as many swings at Christianity as they wish, though they usually can't answer good arguments. And that's what counts.

Just out of curiosity, what's a good argument that people can't answer?

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »

BC

Just out of curiosity, what's a good argument that people can't answer?

An argument so sound that it cannot be refuted.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »
That is no argument.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 01:44:38 PM »
Occassionally you have a poster like Sonata come here and just randomly bash christianity

yeah i was/am a pretty big dick that way

but really i am all for discussion and stuff i'm just lazy

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »
Kinda puzzled by what you see, honestly.  It seems to me like the Christians here more than hold their own.

I'll have to agree with Barto here. I've seen Christian forums where Christians are actually persecuted. Here, everything is pretty tame and most posters are very polite and intelligent.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 06:56:10 PM »
An argument so sound that it cannot be refuted.

And which argument is that? What argument for Christianity is so sound that it cannot be refuted?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 09:54:49 PM »
I might have raked on Christianity a bit more lately than usual, but in my case it's due to me reading several books on the topic, and wanting to hear Christians' reactions on the issues raised in those books. And as much as WW thinks the "opponents" don't have arguments, I can honestly say the same thing of the other side.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 12:17:28 PM »
I might have raked on Christianity a bit more lately than usual, but in my case it's due to me reading several books on the topic, and wanting to hear Christians' reactions on the issues raised in those books. And as much as WW thinks the "opponents" don't have arguments, I can honestly say the same thing of the other side.

rumborak
No, you can't say that. Your arguments in these biblical debates are usually exploded early on, and you're left with only incredulity. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:34:14 PM by William Wallace »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 01:12:29 PM »
Have you never considered the possibility that your judgment is clouded by your personal bias of what constitutes a good argument and what not? You accuse me of using incredulity; I find you all too often resort to plain dismissiveness.

rumborak
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:27:41 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."