Author Topic: The Twelve Song Album Game  (Read 243131 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: The Twelve Song Album Game
« Reply #3290 on: December 03, 2020, 02:28:31 PM »
I've heard Selling England by the Pound and that's about it. So I kinda know what the band sounds like, but I haven't heard anything beyond this album.

Well, you sort of got it already.  Genesis - English prog legends, known for the 23-minute Supper's Ready, the double-album concept record "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", but who had been increasingly moving into the pop arena with songs like "Follow You, Follow Me", "Turn It On Again", and - from the same album as "Whodunnit?" - "Man On The Corner", then released this punky, quirky, three minute sound collage of synthesizer, drums and guitar and an improvised lyric that meant, basically nothing.

I want to know how long most women get through this monologue at the bar before walking out. :) :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3291 on: December 03, 2020, 02:47:21 PM »
I've heard Selling England by the Pound and that's about it. So I kinda know what the band sounds like, but I haven't heard anything beyond this album.

Well, you sort of got it already.  Genesis - English prog legends, known for the 23-minute Supper's Ready, the double-album concept record "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway", but who had been increasingly moving into the pop arena with songs like "Follow You, Follow Me", "Turn It On Again", and - from the same album as "Whodunnit?" - "Man On The Corner", then released this punky, quirky, three minute sound collage of synthesizer, drums and guitar and an improvised lyric that meant, basically nothing.

I want to know how long most women get through this monologue at the bar before walking out. :) :)

Probably not working for most dudes either..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3292 on: December 03, 2020, 02:50:05 PM »

Women don't listen to Genesis.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3293 on: December 03, 2020, 03:01:00 PM »
You calling me a woman? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3294 on: December 03, 2020, 03:09:15 PM »
Your words, not mine!  :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3295 on: December 03, 2020, 04:24:42 PM »
Songs that were the most unique/unexpected from the band when they were released

1. Demons & Wizards - Midas Disease (didn't expect them sound like AC/DC at all)
2. Pain Of Salvation - Mortar Grind (didn't except them to sound like a 70s psychedelic rock band)
3. Guns N' Roses - My World (some unholy mixture of bad rap and nu metal; none of the band except Axl even knew it was on the record when it released)
4. Steven Wilson - Permanating (Steven Wilson has done poppy songs before but people are still salty at this song's existence to this day so idk)
5. Genesis - Whodunnit?
6. Talk Talk - April 5th (first foray into ambient post rock)
7. Sigur Rós - Brennisteinn (didn't expect a light ethereal post-rock band to release a metal song with harsh noise elements)
8. Ensiferum - Two of Spades (Viking metal goes DISCO!)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3296 on: December 03, 2020, 06:27:28 PM »
Songs that were the most unique/unexpected from the band when they were released

1. Demons & Wizards - Midas Disease (didn't expect them sound like AC/DC at all)
2. Pain Of Salvation - Mortar Grind (didn't except them to sound like a 70s psychedelic rock band)
3. Guns N' Roses - My World (some unholy mixture of bad rap and nu metal; none of the band except Axl even knew it was on the record when it released)
4. Steven Wilson - Permanating (Steven Wilson has done poppy songs before but people are still salty at this song's existence to this day so idk)
5. Genesis - Whodunnit?
7. Sigur Rós - Brennisteinn (didn't expect a light ethereal post-rock band to release a metal song with harsh noise elements)
8. Avenged Sevenfold - Dear God (didn't expect a modern metal band do what's basically a country ballad)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3297 on: December 03, 2020, 07:20:05 PM »
You skipped MirrorMask's entry :sad:

5. Genesis - Whodunnit?
9. Avenged Sevenfold - Dear God (didn't expect a modern metal band do what's basically a country ballad)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3298 on: December 03, 2020, 08:14:20 PM »

What the hell are you two babbling about?   He asked me a question.  I would never deliver that in game situation.

I would talk about Kiss.   ;) :) :)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3299 on: December 03, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »
You skipped MirrorMask's entry :sad:

5. Genesis - Whodunnit?
9. Avenged Sevenfold - Dear God (didn't expect a modern metal band do what's basically a country ballad)

Whoops.  Sorry.

5. Genesis - Whodunnit?

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3300 on: December 04, 2020, 07:05:56 PM »

5. Genesis - Whodunnit?
10.Black Sabbath - Illusion of Power (Now I've defended Forbidden more than once but even I don't like this one. The fact that it opened the album sank the full thing, fans did not expect or want Ice-T with their sabbath)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #3301 on: December 06, 2020, 08:15:36 PM »

5. Genesis - Whodunnit?
10.Black Sabbath - Illusion of Power (Now I've defended Forbidden more than once but even I don't like this one. The fact that it opened the album sank the full thing, fans did not expect or want Ice-T with their sabbath)
11. The Dear Hunter - King of Swords (Reversed) (Basically a disco, dance song although I'm not sure that anything the band does can really be that unexpected. It is unique however.)

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3302 on: January 08, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »
Album bonus tracks that you liked better than the lead single off that same album.

1. Alter Bridge - Breathe
2. Shinedown - Carried Away
3. Black Sabbath - What's the Use
4. Deep Purple - Not Responsible
5. Dream Theater - Viper King
6. Blind Guardian - Distant Memories
7. Mudvayne - On The Move
8. Spock’s Beard - Bulletproof
9. Leprous - Bury
10. Taylor Swift - New Romantics
11.Ozzy Osbourne - Love to Hate

just a little bump to try and get this moving
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3303 on: January 08, 2021, 07:04:00 PM »
Album bonus tracks that you liked better than the lead single off that same album.

1. Alter Bridge - Breathe
2. Shinedown - Carried Away
3. Black Sabbath - What's the Use
4. Deep Purple - Not Responsible
5. Dream Theater - Viper King
6. Blind Guardian - Distant Memories
7. Mudvayne - On The Move
8. Spock’s Beard - Bulletproof
9. Leprous - Bury
10. Taylor Swift - New Romantics
11.Ozzy Osbourne - Love to Hate
12. Def Leppard-Riding Into The Sun

Songs sung by a band member that was not their lead singer

1. Accept-The King (sung by bassist Peter Baltes)

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3304 on: January 08, 2021, 07:09:48 PM »

1. Accept-The King (sung by bassist Peter Baltes)

2. Scorpions - Hey You (main vocals by Rudolf Schenker)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3305 on: January 08, 2021, 07:12:43 PM »

1. Accept - The King (sung by bassist Peter Baltes)
2. Scorpions - Hey You (sung by guitarist Rudolf Schenker)
3. Black Sabbath - It's Alright (sung by drummer Bill Ward)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3306 on: January 08, 2021, 07:23:59 PM »
Dammit. I took to long to find one... :lol

4. Pink Floyd - Wearing The Inside Out (sung by Richard Wright)
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline HOF

« Reply #3307 on: January 08, 2021, 09:50:52 PM »

5. Journey - All That Really Matters (sung by Jonathan Cain)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3308 on: January 08, 2021, 10:49:38 PM »

6. The Who - My Wife (sung by John Entwistle)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3309 on: January 08, 2021, 11:52:07 PM »

7. Alter Bridge - Forever Falling (sung by Mark Tremonti)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3310 on: January 09, 2021, 03:23:58 AM »

8. Iced Earth - Stormrider (sung by Jon Shitter)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3311 on: January 09, 2021, 05:10:16 AM »

9. Queen - I'm in Love with My Car (sung by roger Taylor).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3312 on: January 09, 2021, 06:56:57 AM »

10. Aerosmith - Walk On Down (sung by Joe Perry)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3313 on: January 09, 2021, 11:42:02 AM »

11. The Rolling Stones - Happy (sung by Keith Richards)

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #3314 on: January 13, 2021, 12:38:13 PM »

11. The Rolling Stones - Happy (sung by Keith Richards)
12. Queensr˙che - All I Want (sung by Christ DeGarmo)

If this has already been a topic, I apologize.  I've checked out this thread a lot, but haven't been present for every entry.

Your favorite song on your favorite album by your all-time favorite band.

1. She (KISS - Dressed To Kill)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3315 on: January 13, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »
Great question (and GREAT pick by you!)

So I read that as "start with your favorite band" and that's where I fail.   Kiss? Genesis? The Beatles? 

I'll take a flyer, though and say...

2. One For The Vine (Genesis - Wind And Wuthering)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3316 on: January 13, 2021, 12:51:53 PM »

3. Revelations (Iron Maiden- Piece of Mind)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3317 on: January 13, 2021, 12:54:37 PM »

4. Battle of Evermore (Led Zeppeilin ____)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3318 on: January 13, 2021, 03:19:17 PM »

5. Ride the Lightning (Metallica - Ride the Lightning)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:57:52 PM by fadetoblackdude7 »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3319 on: January 13, 2021, 03:22:22 PM »

5. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
6. King (Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3320 on: January 13, 2021, 05:16:04 PM »

7. Rock Bottom (UFO-Strangers In The Night)

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3321 on: January 13, 2021, 05:33:02 PM »

8. Megalomania (Black Sabbath - Sabotage)
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3322 on: January 13, 2021, 07:01:37 PM »

9. Learning To Live (Dream Theater - Images & Words)

Offline HOF

« Reply #3323 on: January 13, 2021, 08:00:40 PM »

10. Victorian brickwork (Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3324 on: January 14, 2021, 04:26:08 AM »

10. Victorian brickwork (Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard)
11. Sign of the Cross (Iron Maiden - The X Factor)
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.