Author Topic: MP about I&W and ADTOE connection  (Read 40783 times)

Offline alexofsweden

MP about I&W and ADTOE connection
« on: September 10, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
Mike Portnoy writes this at his forum:

"Well done Thiago....great post and spot on!
I *immediately* noticed everything you wrote about upon my first listen...
and found it all incredibly strange...   

If they are indeed intentional "nuggets", then I guess that's a pretty cool idea...
However, if they were desperate attempts of secretly re-writing the past...hmm, maybe not so much...
I guess only they will know the real reason for it.... "

link: https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2666577&mpage=100#2706658

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: MP about I&W and ADTOE connection
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:39:56 PM »
That's cool that he acknowledged the album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 05:41:55 PM »
I'm not sure he knows what "re-writing the past" means.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Liberation

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
I had been defending MP quite a lot before but... this is lame, to say the least.

Btw anyone can copy that post here? I don't use facebook and can't read it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »
Btw anyone can copy that post here? I don't use facebook and can't read it.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
a big LOL to MP for that comment...

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »
this guy need serious help...so ripping off Muse, U2 and Metallica was a nugget??? WTF?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 05:45:20 PM »
 :facepalm:...and just when I thought his dealing with DT related stuff was getting more tactful...

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »

I dont think he was acknowledging it in a good way - saying he found it all incredibly strange, I think he was actually having a dig.

What I find strange is that he thinks he is in any position to criticise after being involved in the Adrenaline Mob EP - it had every cliche in the book.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 05:47:07 PM »
I'm not sure he knows what "re-writing the past" means.
I think it's pretty obvious he fears that the DT crew wanted to make a new, Portnoy-less incarnation of I&W.

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
this guy need serious help...so ripping off Muse, U2 and Metallica was a nugget??? WTF?

Hey guys...my intention wasn´t jumpin on MP...i think he actually said a good thing...and he doesn´t sound bitter...so a thumbs up dammit :)

Offline Knguro

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »
If he refers to "re-writing the past" hopefully he will include not thinking about a reunion, cause that will be "re-writing the past".
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »

I dont think he was acknowledging it in a good way - saying he found it all incredibly strange, I think he was actually having a dig.

What I find strange is that he thinks he is in any position to criticise after being involved in the Adrenaline Mob EP - it had every cliche in the book.

" found it all incredibly strange" meaning: he thinks it would be strange if they used the I&W album as a guideline...that he think they didnt

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 05:50:08 PM »

Hey guys...my intention wasn´t jumpin on MP...i think he actually said a good thing...and he doesn´t sound bitter...so a thumbs up dammit :)

Alex, im 99% sure he was having a dig at the album.

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 05:51:40 PM »

He sound bitter!! I'm still asking what this means :"secretly re-writing the past"  ??? and he's incensing every other release than DT just to put ADTOE on a lower level. Wait for the album to be officially released and he will comment it in some bad way (it sound outdated, boring...)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »

" found it all incredibly strange" meaning: he thinks it would be strange if they used the I&W album as a guideline...that he think they didnt
That is not what he said at all. Read it again. He said he heard the album, noticed the similarities, and found them strange.

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 05:53:05 PM »

That is not what he said at all. Read it again. He said he heard the album, noticed the similarities, and found them strange.

you´re right, my bad :)

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 05:53:54 PM »

...and then made a passive aggressive dig at the album.  I don't think he is very happy with the fact that everyone is saying that this is the best album since SFAM and some are even saying it is the best since Awake and I&W

Offline farsight

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »
I hope that Thiago dude doesnt get to listen AC/DC because his head will song-structure asplode! :biggrin:

Offline KISS 76

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 05:55:19 PM »
It might be nice of him to post something positive on the release of the cd? Otherwise it looks a little bitter of him to knowledge the new Anthrax etc... but not mention DT. He should of expected this outcome once he decided to leave the band? Quite a fall to play to a couple of hundred people a night instead of the 1000's while he was with DT. I wish him the best in all his future projects but hope he can get past all the sniping...

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 05:56:49 PM »

you´re right, my bad :)

its not ur bad Alex, its Portnoys. He definitely was having a dig but in an indirect way. Like Madman says the response to the album has been extremely positive on the whole and that is probably what is getting under his skin. He really shouldnt have commented like he did, he must have known what the response would have been like.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 06:03:33 PM »
I read that comparison, and listened to the songs.  And while some of the things he said had merit, some others are very forced.  And frankly, I think MP is being somewhat disingenuous when he says that he noticed it right off the bat.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »
lol so bitter. at least this is a more direct shot at the band. not his usual passive play the victim posts.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 06:06:24 PM »
I read that comparison, and listened to the songs.  And while some of the things he said had merit, some others are very forced.  And frankly, I think MP is being somewhat disingenuous when he says that he noticed it right off the bat.

Possibly, but given what we know of his personality and his situation, it's very possible and even possibly likely that he listened to the album with the intent of finding something wrong with it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ivorydroid

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 06:12:02 PM »
addressing the subject all I can say is - whaaaaaaaaateeeeeever

doesn't matter, had sex the album rocks

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
lets see how he talks his way out of this one. he will be the victim. no doubt about that

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 06:17:04 PM »
ADToE is definitively not a rewrite of the past.  :loser:

Offline LTE777

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »
Hahahah love this post from Blabbermouth:

posted by : Bleearg
9/10/2011 4:15:04 PM
Report Abuse    

It does sound like Images and Words... There are no SHIT Portnoy back up vocals
[/b]

The album sounds like DT, it has influences from all their albums and a lot of new creative idea's and is Brilliant.

Who cares if it sound like another album, its supposed to....

Wonder if MP actually bought the album?

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 06:19:15 PM »
"Well done Thiago....great post and spot on!
I *immediately* noticed everything you wrote about upon my first listen...
and found it all incredibly strange...   

If they are indeed intentional "nuggets", then I guess that's a pretty cool idea...
However, if they were desperate attempts of secretly re-writing the past...hmm, maybe not so much...
I guess only they will know the real reason for it.... "

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
Shit MP, that's so lame and low.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »

Possibly, but given what we know of his personality and his situation, it's very possible and even possibly likely that he listened to the album with the intent of finding something wrong with it.
I think it's more likely that he didn't notice anything until reading that guy's article, and then he used that for artillery.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »
i misread the whole text...i thought he was talking about DT in a positive way!! please delete this thread if it´s the opposite...don´t want it to be a MP bashing thread!! Mike is THE drummer...Whatever he said or done!! DT is right now on a "i just broke up with my girlfriend and can f"ck whoever i want" It feels great at first...´till they realised that what they had before was better...and then they go backr!! or not...whatever :P

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
I think its funny that the guy most behind DT sounding like other bands and the supposed mastermind of the band's musical direction at the time when calling back to other albums became a habit would say anything about ADTOE's sounding like I&W. MP just needs to shut up about DT, he cant say anything without sounding either like a tool or hypocritical.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.