Author Topic: Statistics, Averages and Shock Value  (Read 1218 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Statistics, Averages and Shock Value
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:40:11 PM »
I was going back and forth whether to post this in here or GD but I figured there might be a bit more serious discuss here. Now I'm sure you've all seen those commercials "for a cause". If it's a bad cause (ex: smoking, poverty, etc) there usually comes along some statistic out of nowhere like "1 in every X number of people suffers/dies every day" or similar. Does anyone actually believe those statistics? Are they even real or are they just fucking with daily/monthly/yearly averages to promote some sort of shock value? I take a look at a site like this:

https://www.worldometers.info/

It's like a whole site of perfectly timed ratios that are born out of some data but have no place in reality. Like are 6-7 hectacres of forest really lost every single minute? Really? I really could be naive about this whole thing but I can't help but laugh every time an anti-smoking commercial comes on and boosts "1 person dies every 7 seconds from lung cancer". Bull-fucking-shit, and they know it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Statistics, Averages and Shock Value
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
What do you mean by "Have no place in reality?"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »
Most the death tolls, especially the "1 in every X seconds". They're usually such a catastrophically newsworthy rate that they're impossible to be true. and don't account for fluke spikes and the like that might work to their advantage to skew results. Advocates against smoking, for example, might take all lung cancer death totals to use in their favor because smoking is linked to lung cancer. There's no real context behind these stats yet they just get posted up as "shocking" results.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
They're usually such a catastrophically newsworthy rate that they're impossible to be true

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 05:49:14 AM »
Smoking causes ~5 and half million deaths worldwide every year.  That boils down to ~15,000 a day, ~627 an hour, and about 10 a minute.

So it's more like one every six seconds.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »
Smoking "related", meaning any number of things data collectors want that fattens that number. I wouldn't be surprised if that number included any deaths related to the manufacturing of the pesticides used to grow the tobacco plants and shit like that. I know you're a smart guy but you can't seriously take that "1 every 6 seconds" number and believe it, right?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »
Yes.  There almost 7 billion people in the world, and over a billion are smokers.  Those are huge numbers.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »
Smoking "related", meaning any number of things data collectors want that fattens that number. I wouldn't be surprised if that number included any deaths related to the manufacturing of the pesticides used to grow the tobacco plants and shit like that. I know you're a smart guy but you can't seriously take that "1 every 6 seconds" number and believe it, right?

In the time it took you to type this, 8,000,000,000 people died.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
Most the death tolls, especially the "1 in every X seconds". They're usually such a catastrophically newsworthy rate that they're impossible to be true. and don't account for fluke spikes and the like that might work to their advantage to skew results. Advocates against smoking, for example, might take all lung cancer death totals to use in their favor because smoking is linked to lung cancer. There's no real context behind these stats yet they just get posted up as "shocking" results.

Yes.  There almost 7 billion people in the world, and over a billion are smokers.  Those are huge numbers.

With a number this high, uncommon will be in high numbers.