Author Topic: Any brass or wind players?  (Read 1282 times)

Offline namgalsipsclar

Any brass or wind players?
« on: September 08, 2011, 09:47:26 AM »
Any other brass players on here and have you ever tried playing any DT stuff on your instrument? I love playing the intro to Learning to Live on Trombone, its surprisingly achievable. Also bits from the solitary shell keyboard part are fun, although they get a bit crazy

Offline jsem

Re: Any brass or wind players?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »
I play the sax. LTL intro is something I should try lol

Offline Icebear

• The Sleeper
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
Been a brass player most of my life, most recently on trombone. But I'm giving that up now, until whenever I have time again. I came to a point where I had to decide, bass/guitar or trombone, there wasn't time for all of it.

But I'd sure like to have a nice brass intro or two on a prog epic. We'll see. Probably won't have the chops to play it myself at that point, though.  :D

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:17:13 PM »
I played euphonium in high school and college, but that was a while ago...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 07:35:51 AM »
Sax player here! Been playing since 1995 I believe (which means 2/3 of my life).  Never tried any Dream Theater on a sax though, 'cause even though I'm a fairly good musician my fingers are kinda slow...Been playing lots of other complex stuff though, as I played in Norway's top 1 school band. I think that's why I love DT, it's the same kind of complexity in another musical setting. I just love odd time signatures and stuff, so I didn't think DT's music was hard to get into at all.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Nat Eleison

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:11:05 AM »
The singer in my band told me about a party he went to where there was a Jazz band playing.  The sax player turned out to be a big Dream Theater fan and started playing some Dream Theater songs.  That's all the info I have, don't know if he was playing the riffs or the vocal parts.

There's a really cool Prog band in Sydney, Australia that uses Sax extensively (it basically takes the place of the vocals) called Pirate.  I saw them at a Festival my band was playing at.  They blew my mind out of the venue.  Here's their link:  https://www.myspace.com/piratewastaken

Have you checked out any Painkiller or Naked City (John Zorn)?  This subject just got me thinking about Rock/Metal bands that actually use a horn player successfully.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:36:14 AM »
I play alto sax and i can play another day and wait for sleep/wfs reprise. i have slowly been trying to learn all the melody parts in ltl.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:41:34 AM by MetropolisxPt1 »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 09:46:19 PM »
Trumpet player reporting in. I've never tried to play DT on my horn, but it'd be interesting to try.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH