Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**  (Read 155721 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Listen to the whole album now (SPOILERS: ADToE Discussion Thread)
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2011, 07:20:26 AM »
I've been spinning this non-stop since about five minutes after this thread was created! Loving it more and more with every spin and I already love it.

Also, obligatory holy fuck Mangini!  :metal

Seriously? From other things I've read it sounds like he is underwhelming. Hoping to be proved wrong, I don't want to be thinking "man what could 1990s MP do with these songs *drool*".

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22:20 AM »
My personal rankings:

1. This is the life (LOVE the feel of this song, one of the first ballads I have liked this much in a while)

------

2. Bridges In The Sky
3. Breaking All Illusions
4. Lost not forgotten

These three feel like the real heart of the album. They are all quite spectacular

------

5. On The Backs of Angels
6. Outcry
7. Far From Heaven
8. Beneath The Surface

All solid songs, I expected far from heaven to be a little better and it just wasn't.
Best JLB performance for a whole album in a LONG LONG time. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

-------

9999. Build me up, break me down

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22:28 AM »
I've been spinning this non-stop since about five minutes after this thread was created! Loving it more and more with every spin and I already love it.

Seriously? From other things I've read it sounds like he is underwhelming. Hoping to be proved wrong, I don't want to be thinking "man what could 1990s MP do with these songs *drool*".

I think MM is great on the album, but he's mixed lower than other DT albums. So sometimes you have to be listening for stuff to notice it, rather than having it more upfront and obvious.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2011, 07:23:02 AM »

I don't think these reviewers have heard some of the crazy subtle shit that Mangini is doing. End of the Outcry instrumental section, Lost Not Forgotten (the entire song), Breaking All Illusions, etc. The guy is a fucking monster.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline zipporaid

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2011, 07:24:14 AM »

He's not underwhelming, his playing is quite amazing, but he definitely "plays for the song" more than portnoy ever could.   I would like to see him stretch out on DT12, after they have a while to gel together.   Not saying there aren't  :eek moments, but it could be a little busier.  I think if he overplayed maybe by 25% more, it would be perfect  :metal

Offline Neuth

« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2011, 07:25:31 AM »
Haven't heard the whole thing yet, but just now I listened to Bridges In The Sky. From the moment there was mention of a strange "shaman call" at the start, I had a funny feeling it was JR using one of the Tuvan Throat Singer sounds from Omnisphere, and I was right!  :lol

EDIT: Holy crap that choir at the start singing "Agnus Dei" is from Omnisphere aswell. I used it the other day in a song I made! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpYPj_fuRE4

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2011, 07:26:39 AM »
Also one last comment about the mix.. Guitars are way too loud for most of the songs. Bass is at it's best level since FII and the vocals are perfect. Keyboard is either way too in your face or melded somewhere in the background. And the drums are way too low.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2011, 07:30:34 AM »
Yeah, so:
Breaking All Illusions
Bridges In The Sky
Beneath The Surface
On The Backs of Angels
Lost Not Forgotten
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
This Is The Life
Far From Heaven
Outcry

That's not really saying anything about the quality of Far From Heaven or Outcry, because every single song on this album is very good.
Outcry has started to catch on a bit, but im not really sure what to thing yet. Some parts are really good, but i get completely lost during the instrumental section. But, its prog - it's supposed to be this way!  ;) It will probably end up climbing to before or after Lost Not Forgotten in a matter of listenings.

I don't understand how people don't like This Is The Life though. The verse-melody is very beautiful, and even though the chorus aint their best, it sure as hell aint bad! Judging only the ballads: So far im liking it better than Far From Heaven, but Beneath The Surface is just so beautiful, it will probably end up becoming their best ballad to date.

Judging the entire album: It's defenitely their best since SDOIT. Since SDOIT is their best album ever (IMO), it will probably end up being tied with SFAM, after SDOIT, IAW and Awake. So far, their 4th best then  :smiley:
This my change though.. Im still only on my third listen.

Offline j

« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2011, 07:31:01 AM »
Fuck me, the guitar solo in BAI. :omg:

-J

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2011, 07:31:49 AM »
Haven't heard the whole thing yet, but just now I listened to Bridges In The Sky. From the moment there was mention of a strange "shaman call" at the start, I had a funny feeling it was JR using one of the Tuvan Throat Singer sounds from Omnisphere, and I was right!  :lol

EDIT: Holy crap that choir at the start singing "Agnus Dei" is from Omnisphere aswell. I used it the other day in a song I made! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpYPj_fuRE4

Nah - it's Barney Gumble  ;)

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2011, 07:34:30 AM »
My personal rankings:

AWESOME :hefdaddy:
1. Lost Not Forgotten
2. Breaking All Illusions
------------------
VERY GOOD :tup:
3. Bridges In The Sky
4. On The Backs of Angels
5. This is The Life
6. Beneath The Surface
7. Outcry
------------------
GOOD  :corn
8. Build Me Up, Break Me Down (really sounds more like a JLB solo song than a DT song)
------------------
OK  :\
9. Far From Heaven

Offline jag66

« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2011, 07:36:22 AM »
Fuck me, the guitar solo in BAI. :omg:

-J

Freaking awsome solo!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2011, 07:37:04 AM »
I was really looking forward to Bridges In The Sky and Outcry, some of the descriptions of them made me think they might be my favourite songs rather than Breaking All Illusions. But after Breaking All Illusions... sorry, no  :lol Nothing completely hit me as much as that did in just a single listen, I was literally grinning as soon as the intro started, and then hearing the part that is reprised later in the sample and the chorus melody (I only listened once to the sample as I didn't want to spoil the song, but it still managed to stick somewhere in my head obviously...). Maybe Build Me Up, Break Me Down struck me on first listen as much but that's a little different since it's nowhere near as good and it's not one of the 10 minute, prog epics.

Although I loved everything about Outcry straight away, apart from the instrumental section. Listened again and appreciated the instrumental more (I think that's really what it takes with DT's instrumentals, to listen with an open mind rather than just thinking - "Oh, here comes an instrumental = wankery that I hate"). Still though, even with the instrumental I feel like they could have had more of the rest of the song. The chorus is awesome, but it's hard for it to be the "anthem" of the album if we only hear it twice seven minuts apart.

Bridges In The Sky didn't quite jump out as much as BAI or most of Outcry when I listened first but I played those three songs again and it sounds just overall awesome.

Breaking All Illusions
Outcry
Bridges In The Sky
On The Backs Of Angels
This Is The Life
Beneath The Surface
Lost Not Forgotten
Far From Heaven

I expect a lot of change. Lost Not Forgotten was cool (listening I honestly think Under A Glass Moon meets The Dark Eternal Night meets The Dance Of Eternity) and even though I found the melodies really weird when listening they are stuck with me more than anything else from the album. This Is The Life, BMU,BMD, and Beneath The Surface are all great, BMU,BMD is pretty unique (didn't expect the Linkin Park comments to ring so true - after all, for all I know they could have came from the same people who would have you believe Honor Thy Father sounds like Linkin Park) but hey, Linkin Park were one of the first bands I got into when I was younger so it doesn't bother me. Still, I expect I'll come to appreciate Lost Not Forgotten and Beneath The Surface more than it, since it's already pretty close. Also, On The Backs Of Angels could be passed by just about everything eventually. I have listened to it several times and every other song maybe once or twice.

On the whole, a great album - a DT album. Apart from BAI and parts of Outcry (and maybe BMUBMD for being so different) it didn't blow me away on first listen, but things rarely do for me. It will take time to see how it compares to the other DT albums but just based on the songs that are on there and how much I'm guessing I'll like them on repeated listens, I'm thinking 4th or 5th overall, either ahead or behind SFAM.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »
I personally don't care if what Mangini is doing for this album isn't mindblowingly awesome.  After all, this is his debut on a DT album, so I think it makes sense in a weird way that they don't wanna take risks with him.  I expect we'll have the top blown off next time 'round.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:32 AM »
My ranking right now:

Bridges In The Sky
Breaking All Illusions
Lost Not Forgotten
Beneath The Surface
On The Backs Of Angels
This Is The Life
Far From Heaven
Outcry
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dillster22

Re: Listen to the whole album now
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:51 AM »
How can it not be ok anymore? If RR themselves release the album to the public?

Ok, I'll say it first: DT are back. baby. This is their strongest since 6DOIT.

rumborak

Agreed! And after the dust has settled, we may just find that it's even stronger than 6DOIT.

ADTOE is nothing special. There are great parts, but the majority of it is forgettable.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2011, 07:48:59 AM »

rumborak

Agreed! And after the dust has settled, we may just find that it's even stronger than 6DOIT.

ADTOE is nothing special. There are great parts, but the majority of it is forgettable.

Really? This strikes me as something a touch more consistent than the last few releases. It's one of the main strengths of this album. It has its weaknesses, yes, but inconsistent it ain't.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2011, 07:50:54 AM »
Breaking All Illusions
On The Backs Of Angels
Bridges In The Sky
Outcry
Lost Not Forgotten
Beneath The Surface
This Is The Life
Far From Heaven

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2011, 07:52:32 AM »
After a few listens, this is most definitely shaping up to be a top 3 album for me. I just want to point out though that the vocal melody in BitS (the part at the end of the chorus, "the fabric of reality is TEARRRRRINGGG apart") is cringe-worthy.

That being said:

1. Breaking All Illusions
2. Beneath the Surface
3. Bridges in the Sky
4. Outcry
5. Lost Not Forgotten
6. This is the Life
7. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
8. Far From Heaven
9. On the Backs of Angels
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2011, 07:55:23 AM »

rumborak

absolute rubbish - imho - this is their best album for many years. BAI may already be in my 5 top DT songs ever.  :hefdaddy

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2011, 07:55:41 AM »
I personally don't care if what Mangini is doing for this album isn't mindblowingly awesome.  After all, this is his debut on a DT album, so I think it makes sense in a weird way that they don't wanna take risks with him.  I expect we'll have the top blown off next time 'round.

While what Mangini is doing across this album may not be "in your face", he lays off the ride cymbal and he is mixed quieter than the drums on the last two albums so you might have to pay attention more often....However, if you take a close listen to it, you will have your mind blown.  He is doing things that could not be done by MP (There is one section where he is playing 4 different rhythms at the same time).  Almost throughout the album he is accenting JR or JP with his hands while at the same time laying down a solid rhythm with JMX.  He also has more "swing" than MP.

I guess the real genius of MM on this album is how well he fits in with the whole of the band.  It will be interesting to see what/if he does differently on DT12, but there is much meat on the bone in his drumming on ADTOE.

As for the rest of the album...this is why I love DT.  From the opening of OTBOA when the chorus comes in to the final mellow notes of BTS this has the feel of an album and is a great listen from front to back.  I realize that BAI and Outcry will probably be the "fan favorites" from the album, but BITS is the one song that I could just put on repeat and listen to over and over and over...and I really dig LNF, the lyrics are great from the opening "I'm just a man".  Those two songs have really captured my imagination, but I can't wait to listen to the album a few hundred more times.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I definately think that Bridges In The Sky will be a great concert opener if they choose to do so
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Millais

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2011, 07:58:35 AM »
just think of Lost Not Forgotten opening a show.
How awesome is that going to be?!!?!

For Lost Not Forgotten i didn't have huge expectations and it's ended up being my favourite so far.
Ranking:
1) Lost Not Forgotten
2) Breaking All Illusions
3) Outcry
4) Beneath The Surface
5) Bridges in the Sky
6) This is the Life
7) On The Back of Angels
8) Far From Heaven
9) Build Me Up, Break Me Down

Far From Heaven is a beautiful track though. Absolute nothing against any of the bottom 3 tracks because they are all solid 8/10s. Lyrically, some of the best material DT has written in a decade or so.

Album rating - 9.5/10. WONDERFUL  :metal

Offline GuineaPig

I'm giving it a 6.5/10.

There are some great moments, and less embarrassing ones, but most of the songs still suffer from the same problems as the previous two releases.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
GP: Who is that in your avatar?

And concerning what I've heard thus far, Lost Not Forgotten is my next favorite after Bridges In The Sky
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DetonationSequence

« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2011, 08:07:37 AM »
Judging the entire album: It's defenitely their best since SDOIT. Since SDOIT is their best album ever (IMO), it will probably end up being tied with SFAM, after SDOIT, IAW and Awake. So far, their 4th best then  :smiley:

This, word for word, is exactly how I currently rank the DT discography.

This album is miraculously good; not a single song I dislike on it, OTBOA is probably my least favourite at this point and I still find it amazing. BAI and FFH are my overall favourite songs right now, but Outcry and BTS blew me away on first listen, and the last four tracks are generally the best four-track run DT have had in years. Magnificent. AOTY is an understatement.

Agreed with what people have said about James (his voice is powerful, multidimensional and generally godly here - plus, those high screams in BMUBMD! :omg:) and Myung, whose moments in Outcry, LNF and BAI are incredible. Jordan owns the album, but that's to be expected, and Petrucci and Mangini, besides serving up some of the coolest heavy parts DT have ever had, both present their own moments of epicness (the solo to TITL, the BAI solo, every damn fill in LNF, the list goes on). It's just got so many amazing contributions from each member, and that's what I think makes it so awesometacular. This isn't the 'MP, JP and friends' that wrote BCSL - this is Dream Theater.

Offline Shadow2222

GP: Who is that in your avatar?

And concerning what I've heard thus far, Lost Not Forgotten is my next favorite after Bridges In The Sky

I believe thats Bruce Dickinson.

And on a sad note: I just noticed my post count is down another two hundred posts (I think).  :'(

I know I had around 700 or more, originally, so its sad to be back in "Hey noob lol" territory.

Back on topic, I love this album!
Far from Heaven  :metal (well its rocking in the ballad sense)
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
Amazing album. Sounds like a fresh, young band that was highly inspired by old DT.

My personal Ranking:
Lost Not Forgotten
Outcry
Beneath The Surface
Breaking All Illusions
This Is The Life
Bridges In The Sky
Far From Heaven
On The Backs Of Angels*
Build Me Up, Break Me Down**

*Just because it's a bit overplayed in head; great song nonetheless.
**It's also great and the ending strings are very haunting, but there are 8 better tracks in the album.
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2011, 08:10:30 AM »

This, word for word, is exactly how I currently rank the DT discography.

This album is miraculously good; not a single song I dislike on it, OTBOA is probably my least favourite at this point and I still find it amazing. BAI and FFH are my overall favourite songs right now, but Outcry and BTS blew me away on first listen, and the last four tracks are generally the best four-track run DT have had in years. Magnificent. AOTY is an understatement.

Agreed with what people have said about James (his voice is powerful, multidimensional and generally godly here - plus, those high screams in BMUBMD! :omg:) and Myung, whose moments in Outcry, LNF and BAI are incredible. Jordan owns the album, but that's to be expected, and Petrucci and Mangini, besides serving up some of the coolest heavy parts DT have ever had, both present their own moments of epicness (the solo to TITL, the BAI solo, every damn fill in LNF, the list goes on). It's just got so many amazing contributions from each member, and that's what I think makes it so awesometacular. This isn't the 'MP, JP and friends' that wrote BCSL - this is Dream Theater.

Very well put.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »
What I really like about the album is that they finally dared things again. There is some sick stuff in there that I have not fully digested yet, and that's an effect that I haven't had essentially since SFAM or 6DOIT.
And, there's some really fresh chord progressions in there.

rumborak

Funny.
My thoughts were nearly the polar opposite. I could name at least a half dozen if not more times when I heard re-used riffs, sounds, vocal arranging/style, and other stuff that is completely recycled from old albums and James' solo stuff.

I like the disc, alot. It's very good. I just found it, very safe--back to what we know worked because mike is gone- type stuff.

the long songs are VERY good.

It's a safe disc.
"daring"......not so much.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Ezio

• Master Assassin
  • Marooned
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2011, 08:15:12 AM »
I see Far From Heaven at the bottom of pretty much everyone's list, I'm sorry but that song is just gorgeous and needs more appreciating. As far all the other songs, amazing.

Ranking:
Breaking All Illusions/Far From Heaven (I'm connecting both songs together)
Outcry
Beneath The Surface
On The Backs of Angels
Bridges in the Sky
This is The Life
Lost Not Forgotten

Man, that was hard. The only song I can truly say I'm not too crazy about is Lost Not Forgotten. Probably just needs more digesting.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2011, 08:18:47 AM »
So maybe the wait to hear from Myung was worth it. While I'm not usually crazy about the soft songs, beneath the surface really blows me away. The lyrics and vocal melodies are really amazing.

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2011, 08:20:16 AM »
So, i have listened to the album for a few times, and i have to say it's amazing.
I like every song on the album. Even the weakest one, which is BMU, BMD, is pretty cool (much better than AROP and Forsaken, let's say it's as good as These Walls).
I absolutely love Breaking All Illusions, it is a Top 5 DT song for me, probably.
Bridges In The Sky is one of the coolest heavy songs DT has ever made. The chorus and the "SHA-MAN TAKE MY HAAAAND" transition is fantastic.
Outcry has a great chorus, too, and I can imagine how cool it would be to hear the song live. The only problem i have with it is that the instrumental section and the rest of the song seem to be inconsistent. The respective parts are awesome, though.
All of the ballads are beautiful. BTS is so uplifting, FFH is really sad, and TITL is melancholic.
Lost Not Forgotten reminds me of UAGM really much, but it's not a bad thing of course. Also, the "tickle part" actually made me laugh, that's how awesome it is.
The song ranking goes like this for me:

Breaking All Illusions
Bridges in The Sky
Lost Not Forgotten & Far From Heaven (can't decide)
Outcry
Beneath The Surface
This is The Life
On The Backs of Angels

Actually, the album is so good, that it's hard to make such ranking, as On The Backs of Angels is almost exactly as good as Outcry for me... and there are two more songs between them.

Overally, it's truly an amazing album, I love each song. It's too early to rank it, but it's one of their best, that's for sure.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »
*peeks in* .... is this allowed?

Anyone else feel UAGM when listening to Far from Heaven solo?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2011, 08:20:58 AM »
The feel of Beneath The Surface reminds me a little of Hollow Years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.