Author Topic: 2012-02-09 - O2 Apollo - Manchester, UK  (Read 17793 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: 2012-02-09 - O2 Apollo - Manchester, UK
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:04 PM »
Just got back from the Mike Mangini show  :hefdaddy. His backing band are pretty good too. Awesome night, got a handshake from the genie, JP and JM.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »
Wow deadtotheworld that sounds like an unfortunate turn of events :(

Its not much to ask for staff to be helpful and considerate to others, I work in a shop and no matter how bad a day I'm having, I always think that I should give the customer a good experience regardless. Seems this guy was having a bad day which resulted in you starting off the night in a foul way  :tdwn

Sucks also that the all-seating hampered the atmosphere, I hope this isn't the case tomorrow!

Finally the sound issues, where exactly were you sitting? Again, hopefully just a technical issue...

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 06:15:06 PM »
Jinx - hi, I was 4 rows from the front, about ten seats left of centre in front of John Myung. There was actually only a few sitting down, but nobody let loose like at the usual standing gigs. I read people mentioned no atmosphere at Glasgow (if my memory serves me correctly) where James introduces Pull me under and says 'if this doesnt get you going - nothing will' its probably a mixture of seating and setlist choice, who knows.
I hope you have a great time tommorow mate!

Offline g.tarry

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »
Having got the 1st DT LP in the late 80s on vinyl I lost touch with them until an impulse purchase of Metropolis about 4 years ago, since when they have shot to No 1 in my fave bands list above the mighty Rush. M/C was my first time seeing them live, so I only had the Score DVD to go by, but I was more than impressed. Stood just behind the sound desk the visuals and audio were very good, though James was a touch quiet at times, possibly due to his cold. I was a bit anxious about the set list beforehand, mainly because most of my faves were absent, especially no long epic 20 min songs, but I thought it all ran very well, and 2hrs flew by. Special note to the technical team:1) James's mic stand needs straightening up! 2) Jordan's keyboard stand !! 3) Mike's tom toms don't appear to meet the snare!!! I thought the couple in the front stalls dressed up in the front cover gear, complete with red bowlers, were excellent. I thought that the atmosphere was excellent, and the new songs fitted in seamlessly with the old. Looking forward to the next time; just hope it's not too far in the future.
10 minutes just isn't long enough...!

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2012, 01:55:32 AM »
I dunno if it was the fact that it was a seating gig or what but there was no atmosphere. I was a few rows from the front by John Myung and the sound was pants, and obviously we couldnt walk round to find a better place to stand to get a better sound. Couldnt hear or even feel any Myung frequencies, couldnt hear much JP apart from a few solos, James sounded really echoey, Jordan I could hear perfectly and the drums sounded ok.
Dont like the new album but thought hearing the stuff live would bring an extra dimension, but it still sounded a bit sterile and boring, and as they played quite a few off the new album I found myself getting a bit bored, even my wife thought the new songs stood out like a sore thumb and thought they where bland sounding.
I loved the couple of parts off 6 degrees, spirit, wait for sleep and as i am, but found very little to get excited about tonight (my fifth time of seeing them).
When i saw them in Leeds with Mangini I was excited and amazed, but tonight I really missed Portnoy... tonight they seemed like they are just going through the motions and lack a big personality on stage and the whole thing plodded along, to me they already look bored of playing basically the same set every night with a few changes. Mangini is amazing, but drum solos still bore me and Jordan should quit with that keytar thing and the continuum already.
All that being said they are still my favourite band and I adore all the stuff before A dramatic turn of events.... I havent given up on them yet, but am slightly dissapointed that i didnt leave a DT show mesmerized like i usually do, tonight i just left feeling...meh.
And also tonight I realised I would do almost anything to hear Metropolis part 2 or 6 degrees in its entirety!

Wow, I feel like I was at a totally different gig from you. The crowd was excellent. The band was definitely NOT going through the motions. My friend, who has only recently got into DT and missed all the fallout with Portnoy, said after the gig how happy they all looked on stage and the amount of positive energy that was around Mangini. The new stuff was absolutely amazing. Jordan played the Keytar for literally 5 minutes out of a 2 hour show! I wasnt much further back than you and the sound was fine apart from a few parts where i couldnt here Jordan.
Top gig 9/10

Offline Millais

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 02:15:24 AM »
.. And Jordan should quit with that keytar thing and the continuum already.

?!?!?!  :facepalm:

Offline Beat-Nick

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 02:34:34 AM »
Manchester was my first DT Gig ever last night...I was on upper circle and there was some body odour going on up there too..NOT GREAT.If you can afford £50 for the show.....PLEASE fork out a £3 for some soap & A Deodorant!!!!!
Well as for the sound ..It sounded shit up there aswell..well perhaps shit is too strong ....Not great..it was all a bit shrill sounding..nowhere near enough Bass..the only time I got any Bass depth was if JR hit some low notes.
The one thing I thought I could take for granted was that at a venue like the Manchester Apollo the sound mix for a group of Very talented Prog Rockers would be top notch..but alas not so....your roadies need to try a bit harder...even tracks your not so keen on will sound better live if the mix is correct..and the Sound MIX  was a BIG DISSAPOINTMENT FOR ME.
On a Positive note ....Mangini is fabulous..& he certainly dont look like hes going thru the motions...he seems to be enjoying every single second of it. The drum solo for me was a real hilight......Boring it wasnt..Skilful & engaging it was..& as the Drums were in my opinion (as well as keys) actually very near spot on for sound Mix..Then it twas great.
I Like the New album personally..However the show opener "Bridges in the Sky" I found am odd choice for a show opener..it's structure and pace just didn't feel right as an opening "Good Evening Manchester"
Next up was 6.00 if I remember correctly..Mangini drove this along like a train..but this track deffo deffo showed up the flaws in the sound mix.it was all just too much middle..No low end at all..and Petrucci was hard to hear.
No "Nightmare to remember" or "Metroplolis"..would have liked at least 1 of those (expected both to be honest).I was extremley suprised to find the biggest crowd pleaser being the final track off Scenes "The Spirit carries On"..NOT one of my favourites and always to me a bit of a Floyd "The Wall" Plagiarism kind of a track.
Final track of the main set .."breaking all illusions"  my fave track on the DTOE album....Petrucci sounded great on this and the structure of the song wasnt spoilt too much by the sound MIX.

Encore "AS I AM"...Myung could actually be heard when it commenced..but again once we kicked into the full drive only Mangini was Providing the power..such a shame.
This may sound like a negative experience ..It wasnt.. I loved every minute of it.but every now and agian my mind wandered & thought how brilliant it could have been if the Sound Was right.
As we left I was dreading that snow had fallen, Turned to Ice & made the drive to Leicester as treacharous as the Met office said it could be....But The Weather Boys Got It as wrong as the Sound Engineers tonight ....And Of That I Was Truly greatful :)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:01:10 AM by Beat-Nick »

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2012, 03:43:28 AM »
1st post.........wooooooo!!!!

Last night at the Apollo was my 11th time seeing DT. I was in the stalls dead centre about 10 rows back. I did see them at Wolverhampton last year, and although I feel that wolves was a better gig, I got no complaints about last night. That is, apart from the sound. But I have to say, I've seen DT there a few times, and a few other bands as well, and no one ever sounds good at the Apollo. Well, that goes for heavy rock acts. I saw Ben Folds there and he sounded great. But I also saw Black Label Society at the Apollo and they sounded Poo! I'm pretty sure by now that it has a lot to do with the venue. I just don't think it's conducive for a heavy rock act as it's quite a tight venue. All those frequencies get squashed up. I feel the only way to combat it would be to lower the overall volume, but then that just wouldn't be metal would it?

The boys played a blinder I thought. The setlist sprang a few surprises. I have seen better sets from them, but that's just personal choice. They still seemed happy and played with a bit more joy, like they did at Wolves. They just seem to be enjoying it again. I don't think I've ever seen anyone perform all the way through a gig with a smile on their face the way Mangini did. To me, it just brightened the whole thing up. He was constantly beaming and it made me smile as well. He's just so talented and assured. And his presence doesn't over shadow the others or take over the stage. It all just seems a bit more balanced. Not the best DT gig I've been to, but certainly not the worst. I love 'em. Long live DT.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Beat-Nick

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 04:23:34 AM »
I saw Steve Hackett At Leicester D'mont...that is tighter than the Apollo (smaller) but the sound there was superb & Loud...deep vibrating basses & crisp top ends...some very technical progressive sequences just like DT in parts..but it all sounded wicked!!...I don't think you can blame the venue..technology has moved on in the past 2 decades with sound production techniques & for me it really is the key to a great gig..GET THE SOUND RIGHT..I never go to open air fests for this very reason. An indoor audiotorium @ £50 a ticket ..NO EXCUSES..MUST BE RIGHT.
Apart from seeing the band perform in front of you its got to be the most important element of any live show.
Also saw Planty on his manic Nirvana tour (going back a bit now) NEC Birmingham...Sound ..Spot On...
I saw welsh rocking trio Budgie at a local club in Hinckley some 20 years ago & the sound there was way better than last night & you dont mean to tell me Burke Shelley & the boys have as much ooomph in the Mixing Toys department as DT have ever Had.
One thing about last night.."A fortune in lies" is actually a cracking track..Pity the Album version is so hopelessly produced & performed Vocally.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 04:35:55 AM »
*edit*

Offline bastrdgtr

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2012, 05:27:11 AM »
The Glasgow show was like a funeral compared to Manchester.  The crowd last night wasn't the craziest, but they were lively enough to the point that I think the band appreciated it.

Definitely one of the top 3 DT shows I've been to!

...and Jordan should NOT retire the keytar or continuum!

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2012, 06:05:38 AM »
I agree with what you're saying. I dunno. I guess if you're stood right in front of the stage you're not going to get a good sound as the mix will be thrown behind you. Just seems everytime I see DT at the Apollo, the engineers struggle to get a decent sound. I've seen them in Leeds and Newcastle over the past few years and thought they sounded much better.

But I hear what you're saying and I agree. I'm miffed as to why they never seem to sound top notch there. Probably has alot to do with where you're listening from.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2012, 07:21:23 AM »
Well yeah I would imagine if you were JM/JR side then you would hear them prominently, whereas if you were in the middle you'd get a decent mix. Im gonna be smack in the middle of Petrucci's side so I doubt I will get a decent mix either. But at least I'll hear JP well  :tup

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
I was on upper circle and there was some body odour going on up there too..NOT GREAT.If you can afford £50 for the show.....PLEASE fork out a £3 for some soap & A Deodorant!!!!!

I was in the stalls and, frankly, could not agree more. There were some rather offensive smells hanging off several people. Just awful.

As for the show itself, certainly in the bottom five of the 16 shows I've seen. The crowd seemed to become a little bored from the moment James sat down; lots of people fidgeting with phones, sitting down and talking from that point on. The setlist just isn't quite right for me in a live setting.

Still, on to Wembley shortly.

Oh, I should add, we were positioned right behind the sound desk and yes, the sound was quite good there.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline John94

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2012, 09:54:21 AM »
Must've been my seats, going over YouTube videos, James sounds good again and natural.

But yeah, great show. Didn't think much of Periphery to be honest, if I didn't already have the album, I wouldn't have bought it last night. Their drummer seems good though.

Back to DT: It was brilliant seeing the guys happy and performing really well. Really enjoyed TSCO last night. Awesome night, definitely better than the last time(and only time) I saw them. Here's to them coming back in the not too distant future.

Offline weezul

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »
certainly a great gig for me. I agree the sound was a little rough... and the band seemed to drift out by a 16th or so for most of 6:00. (the perils of using a backing track!) The band looked nervous for the couple of songs after that but soon settled back down. Was so nice to see JMX really enjoying himself. The band to me at least (6th gig) looked much more refreshed than on previous gigs. Wasn't a fan of the seats but I've made that clear nigh on every DT post i've made over the past few days haha. Waited outside the venue afterwards and managed to get a photo with everyone who came out. Mangini snook past somehow so no one saw him. We all agreed we would just turn our backs and go haha, never to look back. They locked the back door so chances of seeing him were slim. Overall, another brilliant DT experience. Minus the horrible horrible weather!

also james was REALLY on the money. Sounded fantastic
okay last edit, you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife when the drum solo for As I Am came up.... everyone was wondering. Will he play it the same? Will he change it? It was surreal and great at the same time
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:20:49 AM by weezul »
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline DonkeyDood15

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »
This was my first time seeing Dream Theater live, been a fan of theirs for just over 4 years now and I absolutely loved it!! I didn't notice much wrong with the sound, the only thing that annoyed me was at the start of War Inside My Head when james sings "napalm napalm, napalm showers" etc, the mic wasn't turned on... Stupid sound man!

But anyways, I was 4 rows from the stage on row D, Seat 32 by the end so if anyone was in front of me or behind me/beside me then i hope i didnt get annoying with my camera!!  :yarr

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »
Re the sound issues, the last two gigs I've been to (both DT) I wore earplugs so the sound I had was plenty bass-y. It made JP hard to hear though and they certainly spoiled my enjoyment. Not sure if I'll wear them next time even though it's been nice to be able to hear today. It was weird as it also took the crowd noise away and I hadn't realised. I thought it was like a morgue but I guess not as DT seemed happy with the response. Saying that, I'm not one to jump around at a DT gig. I want to watch and listen and I'll clap and cheer at the end of the song or a special individual performance.
And it's bloody hard to clap along at a DT gig if you can only count to 4.
Enjoyed the setlist (despite TDEN-hate alot of the song- chorus is ok and the instrumental part saves it-hate everything else). James sounded great to me, cold an'all.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2012, 02:34:05 AM »
The show is available on Dimeadozen:

https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=393391&dllist=1#seeders

I will provide some quality information as soon as I finish downloading it.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2012, 03:44:37 AM »
Excellent, thanks for the alert.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Beat-Nick

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2012, 04:27:21 AM »
Just grabbed it myself..its not distorted at all..pretty good actually....may remaster it a touch myself in Acid + Tracks
Each track is split..But no gaps ..so you could seamlessly put it back together with ease in Audacity, Adobe Audition or similair if you want the full set & relive it....I got it sounded quite nice now..perhaps up a version REMASTERED when Ive got it best I can.

:metal
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:03:31 AM by Beat-Nick »

Offline John94

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »
I think I saw that guy recording. Front centre right behind the mixing desk, I was to the left of it, first row rear stall.

Delighted it's up so soon, had a feeling it would get up'd, I also have the last one at Manchester so I can add these to my collection.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2012, 05:12:57 AM »
I think I saw that guy recording. Front centre right behind the mixing desk, I was to the left of it, first row rear stall.

Delighted it's up so soon, had a feeling it would get up'd, I also have the last one at Manchester so I can add these to my collection.

Any idea where I could get hold of the last Manchester one? Cheers.

Offline John94

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2012, 05:25:33 AM »

Offline angelillo

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2012, 07:10:54 AM »

I am sure there will be way better quality but anyway

https://youtu.be/nUUdvDbsys8

Offline Beat-Nick

« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »
Some great Vids Of Thurday Night Here https://www.youtube.com/user/AlmaKnack

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »
What an incredible gig. I've seen DT nine times now, and that's definitely in my top three shows. The set list was just incredible, I basically ejaculated when they started playing 6:00, and the Spirit Carries On was an unexpected and wonderful surprise, I don't love that song too much on Scenes, but the version from LSFNY is one of my favourite live DT performances, I watch it regularly and the guitar solo is hands down my favourite solo by any band, ever. It's not quite the same without Teresa Thomason but it was really special nontheless, I get a lot of support from it when grieving for my mother and couldn't help but wonder how Jordan has the strength and guts to play something so emotional on stage so soon after his own mother died. So likely the thoughts running through my head at that point were different to most of the rest of the audience's, but it was a real high point for sure.

The sound was great from where I was (about ten rows back, on the very left hand side of the stalls), I usually stand for DT gigs so seating was a bit of a weird experience. On one hand it was really nice to be able to just chill out in your own space and not have to deal with the jostling around you get down at the front, and from a personal perspective it was a lot better for my health (I suffer from chronic pelvic pain syndrome, get severe pain when I'm dehydrated and as I'm the sort of person who likes to get to gigs really early and aim for the barrier, the lack of drinking and lack of peeing usually means I'm in agony by the end of a show). But the atmosphere left a lot to be desired, nobody in my area seemed to be really getting into it all that much so I felt a bit self conscious with the woos and the claps and all that but it was cool to be able to turn up after the support band and see the band straight away.

I absolutely loved Breaking All Illusions, I wanted to hear that live more than any other song from ADTOE and it delivered, I actually thought the band seemed totally enthused and into the gig and other than LaBrie getting a shit/nonexistent response to 'so I believe we were in this city a few months back, am I right?' they seemed to be having a ball. I was a bit disappointed the encore was only one song as I was kinda half expecting Metropolis Pt 1 for some reason. Just an awesome evening, brilliant music, excellent performance, great sound... a few of the key patches were so loud they actually hurt my ears even above the rest of it but on the whole I was impressed, down at the front near the barrier usually means compromising clear sound for proximity so it was really nice to hear pitch instead of a muddy wall of sound. Been watching videos on youtube ever since and reliving it. I didn't notice any break in timing during 6:00 but did wonder if Petrucci had slipped out a bit when he was soloing during Breaking All Illusions as he seemed to be playing the right part just half a bar too late, but guessing it was intentional.

Oh and I agree with whoever mentioned BO... I had my Blackfield gig last year half-ruined by the BO of somebody who I actually went with but didn't know well enough to really say anything (nobody on here, I know a few of you met up with me that night but it was somebody else). It was so bad, every time a song came to an end I dreaded it as I knew he was gonna raise his arms and clap, so had to try and time it to take a huge breath beforehand, it definitely ruined my enjoyment and took me out of the zone as I had to focus on that, and I'm not kidding it really was bad enough to ruin a gig. I wish people were more aware of how disgusting they smell because it's really awkward for everyone else around them.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2012, 03:14:16 PM »
I actually thought the band seemed totally enthused and into the gig and other than LaBrie getting a shit/nonexistent response to 'so I believe we were in this city a few months back, am I right?'

That's probably because they weren't there a few months back, so everyone was just confused. Closest they got a few months ago was Wolverhampton. Last time they were in Manchester was October 2009.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 01:42:49 AM »
Oh, hahaha. I saw them a few months back in Leeds so was pretty confused myself as to how I missed it, as I would definitely have tried to make it. Oh well, I guess cities and dates all run into one another when you're touring.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline g.tarry

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2012, 04:24:10 AM »
When James made that comment I put it down to being on medication to control his cold symptoms! Having never seen the band live before I was wondering if he normally disappears that often between singing duties?
10 minutes just isn't long enough...!

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 05:02:14 AM »
When James made that comment I put it down to being on medication to control his cold symptoms! Having never seen the band live before I was wondering if he normally disappears that often between singing duties?

Yeh he always has his little man-cave behind Petrucci's cabinets for the instrumental sections.

I think Portnoy used to encourage him to stay out with a tambourine or something, but can't remember where I heard this so it may not be credible.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
I actually thought the band seemed totally enthused and into the gig and other than LaBrie getting a shit/nonexistent response to 'so I believe we were in this city a few months back, am I right?'

That's probably because they weren't there a few months back, so everyone was just confused. Closest they got a few months ago was Wolverhampton. Last time they were in Manchester was October 2009.

Was it Wolverhampton because I thought it changed to Leeds?

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking of Doncaster.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2012, 06:00:40 AM »

lots of people fidgeting with phones, sitting down and talking

I know - that annoys the f*ck out of me. Why pay decent money to go to a gig and just stand there shouting conversations to your mates all the way through? "The Silent Man" is one of my fave DT songs, and one I'd never seen before, but my memory of hearing it live is basically just the guy next to me explaining to his mate how to work his iPad. Wankers.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline John94

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2012, 09:24:50 AM »
Good quality full video of the concert on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/Chromeboy2003 - For anyone who is interested.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »
James voice now > Any time *since* the incident ?

I think so.