Author Topic: Different versions of 'Octavarium'?  (Read 5264 times)

Offline blackngold29

Different versions of 'Octavarium'?
« on: September 07, 2011, 04:44:27 PM »
I got a tweet today about an "alternative" version of Octavarium (the song) with a flute playing the main theme to conclude the song. That's not on the album I have, and somebody suggested it was the version on the Score credits, but that's JR's intro and then just the flute.

So somebody else says it was a bootleg, another says it was a leak, another says it was an early version. Another says they've got a flute playing the main theme 19 seconds from the end.

Anyone know what this is all about?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Different versions of 'Octavarium'?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 04:49:15 PM »
I don't recall any other versions.  Maybe the Score version?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
As far as I know it's the original version, it leaked and then they re-recorded the ending for the final version you hear on the CD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »
The version with the flute reprising the main theme was on the version given out to a few guys in the corporate offices of the label and a select few family members.

something like that
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:15:06 PM »
I like the flute ending better. More dreamy than the other, and I can't stand the TROAE intro reprise...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 05:15:56 PM »
I like the flute ending better. More dreamy than the other, and I can't stand the TROAE intro reprise...

The french horn is amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline patomtz

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »
It was the leaked version! I had it and for me it sounded far better than the original.. very calm and relaxing

Offline Millais

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »
Does anyone know of any place where i can hear this different version? Sounds interesting!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »
Does anyone know of any place where i can hear this different version? Sounds interesting!
Considering it is basically the illegally downloaded version people can't exactly give that information to you on the forum. Probably if you just have a look else where you'll stumble across it.

Conceptually I like the actual ending but just to listen to I think I might actually like the one with the flute better.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
As far as I know it's the original version, it leaked and then they re-recorded the ending for the final version you hear on the CD.
Basically this.  And no, no one here can tell you where to hear it or get it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline russellmania

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 01:05:32 AM »
wow this thread totally reminded me that I still have that version...I downloaded the leak when the album first came out and have since bought the album, but never replaced the version on my hard drive.  I actually like the ending with the flute much much better, but I get that the ending on the album version is more fitting w/ the theme of the album and everything.  It's probably not worth going out of your way to find the leaked version, though as it's not a hugely noticeable difference.

Offline Millais

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 04:14:42 AM »
And no, no one here can tell you where to hear it or get it.
sorry... didn't realise it would be considered that.

Offline indalo

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 04:28:09 AM »
Never heard that version. And I love the ending of the Octavarium cd version (Score too!!  :D ) but the other one has to be interesting  :tup

Perhap they could publish it on a bootleg; perhaps if they publish again fan clubs cd's with this Octavarium version and Mike Mangini drum test..  :lol
Sorry for my bad english!

Offline djentlemen

• they took my fucking ship yargh argh
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 09:03:27 AM »
this whole time i thought the entire razor's edge solo had been replaced with a flute section  :rollin :rollin
life is like a shlong , it gets hard for no reason

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »
I actually had the leaked version, but kinda deleted it. I downloaded the album before I was into DT, to se if I liked them (sure did), and remember the flute outro. Later I bought the album of course, and deleted the downloaded one. I actually liked that one better, I don't feel like the TROAE reprise fits in. The final piano F is fine though, pretty important symbolism-wise. But the flute is simply beautiful.

(May I remind everybody that I now have bought 10 DT-albums and 4 DVDs, and hope I'm forgiven.)