Author Topic: Lee flooded my little NY town this morning, daughter is trapped in her school...  (Read 3682 times)

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
TWC just showed a before/after shot in vestal... *sigh*
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
 :(

Stay safe.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
Woah.  I had no idea it was so bad down there.  Hope you stay safe.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Wow Jen! Just saw the thread. Glad to know your okay. Be careful with that hill behind you. If it gets bad, get the hell out of there. Would hate for a slide to occur, make sure you keep an eye on that! Praying for you! Be safe!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Give us an update when you can!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Wow.  And to think people freaked out about Irene.

Also, for what it's worth, it was really courageous of your husband to do what he did.  That's what a dad should be.

You know, you're right.

I give him such little credit sometimes. So quick to give him shit sometimes.

That's only natural.  We all easily get like that with the people we are around all the time because we get comfortable with them.  But take it from a husband:  if you take a moment to really make a point of letting him know how much you appreciate him taking charge and getting it done, it will go a long way.

Anyhow...

I heard on the radio this morning that there is a mandatory evacuation of about 65,000.  I can only assume you are part of that.  That really sucks.  Hoping and praying for the best out here.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
22 hours since you last posted, either here or FB.

You ok?
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I'm guessing she was part of the mandatory evacuation.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
She has lost power, but she's home (kinda no choice on the matter, street is closed off), and as of a few hours ago is still fine. She hopes tomorrow things should be restored and start to get back to normal.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Thanks for the update.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
Wow, that is horrible. I really hope everything is alright for you.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
She's still unfortunately without power or water. Generator is running to keep some things powered, but it's starting to get to her. Gotta hope something good happens soon.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Is her whole family together at least?  I haven't been following the entire thread.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
From what she said earlier, it seems that way.  So it should all be fine in the end.  She just needs to get through it.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Thanks Nick for the updates.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
I just got electrticity back yesterday. I just got cable/phone/tv/internet back now. I haven't read anything here yet but wanted to post that our house and family are ok but 3 of the 4 Owego Apalachin school district school buildings are badly damaged (my daughters being the only one that WASN"T, though it had a moat around it).

Our town, community, friends, etc cannot say that unfortunately.

The neighborhood where our boys' friend had his pet sheep drown is going to most likely entirely be condemned.

My doctor's office and pharmacy are underwater still even now. I could go on but don't really want to right now.

It makes you bone-tired.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Okay I caught up... I would normally try to address everyone separately (gotta keep the post count healthy - lol, kiddin) but I'm seriously just not processing things right now.

Today is Monday, right? Okay, today we got cable/internet/phone, just a bit ago.

Yesterday (Sunday, 9/11... whoa I freakin missed the ten year anniversary of 9/11... I did hear some stuff on the AM radio that I have been scanning for like five days for info but radio is a dying medium, and all I could get all this time was pop music for the most part no matter what I tried)... so yeah yesterday we got back from a long roundabout back roads several hour long sad upsetting trip to town to get bottled water and dry ice at a neighboring town's high school. when we got home around 3pm we found electricity!

Saturday, 9/10 - a day of nothingness. trying to get down the road and go left - road closed. cant' get to town this way. go right... just past the border into little meadows, the gas station is closed and the road is washed out. back to the house. try to go over the back road... washout at the bend with a 30 ft drop. back home. have some water. cooking everything on the grill. nobody minds that so much as the lack of information what is going on in Owego, where all of everyone's schools and friends are. Husband's friend called.. he and his two dogs and the clothes on his back got out of his house. His vehicle and first floor are gone.

Friday, 9/9 - a day of nothingness. Can't get out, roads are FUBAR'd. Staying home. Husband got two new generators by finding a way into town before 8am to be first in line at the store and now roads that were open aren't anymore. Old one threw a rod through the block the first day without power. Roughing it with candles ever since. Dangerous but necessary.. no way to get more batteries. Brother in Ithaca says brother in Endicott got out alright and is staying with a friend.

Thursday, 9/8 - one radio station owner took all their call signals and made it live  radio until late at night, broadcasting local news. never been so happy to hear such sad news. no idea where my brother is. he should've evacuated. cell towers are jammed (and will stay that way until Sunday night)

Wed, 9/7 - First day of school. I sent my husband to get my daughter anyway. He waded through water to get her. Thank God.

ok short summary going backwards... so much has gone down, yet so little... so strange.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
I haven't had media until now. Not even a newspaper e xcept yesterday. I haven't seen my own town yet because I can't get in.

Now google is going to break my heart.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Oh my.

My oldest son drove this road Wednesday late morning to get home from school early because thankfully his occupational education classes on a different campus were cancelled early in the day.

This photo was taken early Thursday:

edit - he was detoured around this underpass (yes, the red thing is the overpass... you can't actually see the UNDER portion of it...)

edit -- this page has info about hte schools in our area, which affect all three of my children.

https://centralny.ynn.com/content/flooding/556822/blog--update-on-the-owego-apalachin-school-district/

we are a poor district already, and by the looks of it now our kids are going to be going without a great deal... the weight room, CISCO lab, woodworking lab, athletic fields and equipment, orchestra pit, auditorium... so many things that the school will say aren't "essential" are going to be not available now.

This sucks.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:03:13 PM by JustJen »

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Sorry to keep posting but I don't have any family or friends to be honest, this is all the outlet I have for these emotions and whatnot I'm gonna be dealing with. So, whether that's kinda pathetic or not (heh), so be it... so.

Weather.com mentions my tiny little town specifically... great way to get notice. </sarcasm>

https://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/lee-remnants-strike-northeast_2011-09-07

"In Apalachin, in Tioga County just west of Binghamton, residents slogged through thick layers of mud as they returned home to check on their properties, many of which are likely to be condemned, officials said."

edit -- snip --

Portions of Pennsylvania Avenue just outside the village have collapsed. The power was still out for two of every three customers in Owego on Sunday. In this section of Apalachin, all but one of 263 customers are reportedly without electricity.

"We didn't think it was this bad from home," said Jeremy Hadley, a captain with the South Hornell, Steuben County, volunteer Fire Department and the crew boss of a four-person unit that headed down to Owego a couple days ago to pitch in and spent Sunday on the Hoovers' street. "This is really bad. Everything is probably going to be condemned."

source -
https://www.pressconnects.com/article/20110911/NEWS01/109110348/Gone-Flood-leaves-nothing-some

heh we're prolly that one customer with electricity. always knew i was "special" :p
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:31:19 PM by JustJen »

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Oh holy crapballs.... here it is. The photo that tells me what I wanted to know about Owego (where they go to school, and where my children have so many friends) --

:eek :omg: :'(

No wonder nobody will answer the phone, and we can't get in touch with anyone there right now.

source -- https://www.pressconnects.com/article/20110909/NEWS01/109090408/?odyssey=obinsite

A thin layer of mud coated the sidewalks and streets in downtown Owego as floodwaters began to recede on Friday -- a grimy reminder of a record flood and the extensive cleanup that lies ahead.

The main north-south road through town remained a series of lakes. There was driftwood in the courthouse lawn.

On the roads that were passable, residents pushed carts, pulled wagons, carried bags with bottled water, food or ice, if it could be found. Water service was off. The power went out Thursday. And officials said the sewer plant flooded and was shut down.

"The town is closed," Jim Morris, the village fire chief, said Friday afternoon as officials literally shut the community off to incoming traffic. "We're still trying to rescue people, and we've got people trying to come in."

Owego and the surrounding area are among the hardest hit by flooding, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said during a news conference at Binghamton Regional Airport in the town of Maine. The isolated nature of the region only adds to the severity of the situation.

The two main bridges into Owego are closed over concerns about their stability. The blockade went up on Route 38. Inside, only emergency vehicles and those carrying people out of town are now allowed on the roads.

"We are devastated with the disaster we're seeing," Mayor Ed Arrington said, estimating 90 percent of commercial buildings had been flooded.

Officials imposed a curfew Friday night because of looting and brought in state troopers for help.

The area was inundated both by Owego Creek and the Susquehanna River -- the latter, which crested at roughly 40 feet, was eight feet above the previous record and 10 feet above flood stage, according to the National Weather Service.

more at the link

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
100 Animals Left to DIE in Local PETCO Store During Flooding from Lee

Let me just say, before this becomes a big national thing (if it does), that I live here and can tell you something straight out about this.
It was Wednesday afternoon BEFORE my husband even got my daughter from school that the county issued a MANDATORY EVACUATION for areas that were affected by the 2006 flood. This area was affected. These property owners had to have flood insurance just to build here I am nearly certain. The PETCO officials did unfortunately drop the ball on this one. That's how I see it anyhow.

https://newsfeed.time.com/2011/09/12/100-animals-die-in-petco-store-from-tropical-storm-lee-flooding/

edit -- now that I see this store is located right next to Toys R Us and Gander Mountain I realize these store owners are just 100% at fault. Toys R Us goes under EVERY time the river reaches flood stage. Its right by the flood wall pretty much, as was PETCO.

They must have removed the cats and dogs, since it says the ones that died die were birds, fish, rodents, reptiles, and hamsters. What a shitty thing to decide to do... leave behind the less important pets. Or lower dollar?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:59:04 PM by JustJen »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
My God Jen I'm so sorry to hear everything that has happened.  I hope you guys recover soon. 
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Thanks Splent. We're only out about $2500 total. Nevermind we didn't have it to begin with, that's always how it goes!

Just a follow up on the PETCO thing... they had a mandatory evacuation order, and it even said their STREET NAME (harry l. drive) and to TAKE PETS. The first one was just after 6:30pm.

https://www.nyalert.gov/Public/News/AlertView.aspx?notID=3486769&amp;refer=HOME&amp;source=UDPATEREDIR&amp;messageID=AghxO4T6A&amp;

https://www.nyalert.gov/Public/News/AlertView.aspx?notID=3486769&refer=&source=WEB&messageID=AghxO4T6A&

horrible.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 04:35:21 PM by JustJen »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

:omg:  Whoa.  Well, at least the signs are helpful.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Wow, those are some crazy pictures/stories. Glad to hear you and your family made it through relatively unscathed.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Bosk, as glorious as that is, there is a glaring omission that deeply saddens me.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Hang in there Jen!!  Glad the Kiddo's ok!!!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Wow, those are some crazy pictures/stories. Glad to hear you and your family made it through relatively unscathed.

Thanks, much appreciated. We heard the kids will get to try again to start the school year this Wednesday... hopefully this time they get through the ENTIRE first day!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Tenth anniversary of 9/11 and some FDNY members didn't even get to attend memorials of a day that must mean so much to them... why?

Because they came here instead, to help us in our time of need.
Because that's just what they do.

Stuff like that chokes me up -- they're good people.

https://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/146770/fdny-dispatches-unit-to-assist-binghamton-following-tropical-storm-lee

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Tenth anniversary of 9/11 and some FDNY members didn't even get to attend memorials of a day that must mean so much to them... why?

https://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/146770/fdny-dispatches-unit-to-assist-binghamton-following-tropical-storm-lee
Especially considering the fact that they weren't invited to the memorial service.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004

Especially considering the fact that they weren't invited to the memorial service.

Nevermind it wasn't open to the public despite being a public place and having plenty of non-relative suits there. That's for PR. But I hear ya.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
Here are some photos of downtown Owego, NY that my son's friend took on Thursday while I was without power (well except the aerial shot).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
In the words of Ron Simmons.... DAMN!

Unreal.  Glad all is safe VFS
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion