Author Topic: Why do public places/jobs/schools only use Internet Explorer?  (Read 4655 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Why do public places/jobs/schools only use Internet Explorer?
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »
I don't usually use Chrome because, as I said, I have never noticed any significant difference.  But since this thread, I have been using it for a few hours, and I do notice that .gifs load faster and perform a lot better. I had not realized that.
Wait until you find out about greasemonkey, scripts and add-ons.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
One issue I'm having with Chrome that is rather annoying is that the scroll bar on the right side is much less forgiving.  If I grab it and quickly drag it up, but I accidentally go a bit too far and release, it jumps back down to wherever I was instead of just stopping at the top of the page.  IE was much more forgiving in that regard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 09:53:22 AM »
All the computers in my university's library and computer lab had Firefox installed.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »
People give Internet Explorer way too much shit. It's not that bad. I've never encountered any problems with it. If you need to use a school/work computer to get on the internet, IE will work just fine.

that being said, I'm posting this from work using Firefox, lol

I think the funny thing is that people bash Internet Explorer, and then proceed to praise Firefox.

Firefox is hands down the buggiest internet browser ever, and it's even more annoying when there are 5 year old buggs that hasn't been taken care of yet.
So yeah, Internet Explorer might not be AWZUM, but Firefox certainly ain't much better.  :lol
Firefox has very nice applications developed especifically for it, which compensate any bugs that it could have (I've never encountered any BTW, what do you refer to).

After being an IE-only user, I switched to Chrome and I love it. I only use Firefox when I need one of those applications (like the one that allows you to download all documents contained in a page at once, awesome).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 10:10:07 AM »
Well, Firefox was just annoying for me.
When I had it running, it kept using more and more CPU while I just had it in the background, and whenever I closed it, sometimes it continued to run in the background and lagg things up.
Frustrating. :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 10:20:55 AM »
After being an IE-only user, I switched to Chrome and I love it. I only use Firefox when I need one of those applications (like the one that allows you to download all documents contained in a page at once, awesome).

Yeah, I have some stuff at work that uses IE, so I pretty much have to use it.  But I'm using Chrome at the same time for other stuff.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ehra

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »
I feel this is relevant to some posts about safty (I don't use IE):

https://www.nsslabs.com/research/endpoint-security/browser-security/socially-engineered-malware-global-q3-2011.html

In Q2 of 2011, NSS Labs performed a test of web browser protection against socially-engineered malware targeting users around the globe. This test was in addition to our recent European and Asia-Pacific  browser tests.

Socially-engineered malware is a widespread problem, claiming one third of internet users as victims. The use of free browser-based reputation systems to assist in the fight against socially-engineered malware is a strong use of cloud technologies. However, in this global test of socially-engineered malware, we found that not all vendor implementations and daily operations yield the same results.

This NSS Labs report focused on URLs chosen to be of significant threat and followed the same Live Testing methodology as the global tests conducted in Q1 2009, Q3 2009, Q1 2010, and Q3 2010 (www.nsslabs.com/browser-security). For region specific reports, please see our Q2 2011 European and Q3 2011 Asia-Pacific tests, as these two tests used unique infrastructure and data sets specifically concentrating on malware targeting users in these regions.

For clarity, the following definition is used for a socially-engineered malware URL: a web page link
that directly leads to a download that delivers a malicious payload whose content type
would lead to execution, or more generally a website known to host malware links.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 04:19:17 PM »
Compatibility reasons. That's pretty much it.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »
Because the majority of people think that this:

stands for "Internet."