Author Topic: Dream Theater signing in Guitar Center NYC on 9/16/11 (PICS included)  (Read 6352 times)

Offline mocool13

https://www.dreamtheater.net/news_dreamtheater.php#gcmanhattan

https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/Dream-Theater-Signing-At-Guitar-Center-September-16-23361.aspx

Unless I didn't read correctly, you need to buy the CD there starting the 13th and you'll get a wristband. I'm just unsure how many people will be allowed in as DT's site says it's a 400 person limit while RR's site says 200 people.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:07:22 PM by mocool13 »

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: Dream Theater signing in Guitar Center NYC on 9/16/11
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »
Shit...I've got surgery the morning of the 13th...so no CD (and therefore no signing) for me...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 07:21:53 PM »
Damn, I'm in NYC anyway on the 14th. Had I been going on the 13th I would have bought it and then came back on the 16th for the signing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mocool13

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:27:31 PM »
Damn, I'm in NYC anyway on the 14th. Had I been going on the 13th I would have bought it and then came back on the 16th for the signing.

You might be able to get it, you never know. It says it starts on the 13th. So if the 200 or 400 CD+wristbands don't sell out on the first day, you could still have a shot.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:47:58 PM »
i'll be there hell yea

Offline IJewBear

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »
That's my birthday!

...sadly I'm in San Diego :(

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »
O! I will be there and you can't miss me because I will be the only one with an eyepatch on!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:59:35 AM »
Damn, I live on Long Island an hour away.  But it's tough to make two separate trips to the city within a 3-day span.  Plus, I've already pre-ordered by CD. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »
O! I will be there and you can't miss me because I will be the only one with an eyepatch on!

Well, aside from LaBrie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 08:14:04 AM »

Well, aside from LaBrie.

that is a very good point sir

me and him may get into a pirate fight

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:19:45 AM »

Well, aside from LaBrie.

that is a very good point sir

me and him may get into a pirate fight

On a similar subject, my two year old picked up my 2nd edition of Lifting Shadows (with the Black Clouds era photo on the cover) and said "I want to read the pirate book". Made me laugh.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 08:51:12 AM »
So, what are the odds they hand out all the wristbands by Tuesday night?  I mean, if I trek out to NYC that night or Wednesday night to buy ADTOE and get a wristband, will I be turned away?  I guess I could always call them before I go to make sure.

EDIT: Also, do you think pictures are permitted at this event?  My main reason for going would be to take pics with the band.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:08:38 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »
i'll be getting my CD at Guitar Center early on Tuesday (its like 5 minutes from my school) and I'll be there on Friday. I already have my guitar strap signed by JP/JM/MP/JL/JR so i'm thinking about getting the CD and my actual guitar signed by the current lineup. maybe on the neck..

looking forward to seeing the guys again and really looking forward to meeting Mangini.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »
The new DT website says 400 fans, but the guitar center link says 200 fans can attend this event.  I wonder which it is.  Kind of important!

Offline WaterToFire

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »
I'd be able to get by in the mid afternoon, but I feel like they'd probably be sold out by then, particularly if it's only 200 people.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 07:06:13 PM »
I don't think it will sell out quickly.  200 is a lot.  That's 200 people buying a CD on a weekday and agreeing to return three days later.  i think like 50 passes will go right away and by the end of the day they'll be over 100.  Maybe by Thursday it will reach 200.  

Offline parvindy

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 10:34:42 PM »
I was going to NY for the Big 4... That was unexpected! I'll try to be there for sure!

Anyone knows if it's ok to ask for a quick picture ?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »
I just talked to a friend that went to get a wristband this morning.  He said there were 50 or so people on line when the doors opened this morning for CD/s wristbands.  The store didn't have the CD yet, so they handed out receipts for people to get them Friday when they return for the signing.  That sucks.

Also, to answer parvindy's question, I called the store last week and asked about taking pics with the band.  They said they're not sure and it's up to the band.  I kinda think it's expected at these events that people will ask for a quick photo, so I'd be disappointe if it wasn't allowed.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 12:32:29 PM »
Having been there this morning, there were definitely more than 50 people at the line. The manager, who was handling the line told me that more likely than not photos will be allowed; it's up to the band . Also, he clarified the # of people issue, which is 200, not 400.

Offline WaterToFire

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 12:35:19 PM »
I was there about an hour ago. I would have expected them to actually have the album by then, but all I got was the receipt.

So, what do we actually get signed? The jewel case, the CD itself, something else?

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 12:52:03 PM »
The cd booklet! I'm bringing Lifting Shadows to get signed.

There were some very nice people on the line.  :)

gabeh1018 I saw you!

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 12:57:02 PM »
The cd booklet! I'm bringing Lifting Shadows to get signed.

There were some very nice people on the line.  :)

gabeh1018 I saw you!

o you should've come and introduced yourself ha

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
I just called the store and they said they've given away 99 of the 200 spots to people that have visited the store and purchased a CD/wristband.  He said it started off fast and they slowed down a lot as the day went on.  I'm getting mine tomorrow morning.  Actually, my family is picking it up for me since they'll be in NYC.  I was worried they'd run out, but it seems like there will be enough spots to last until tomorrow morning.  Thanks goodness!

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »
Did the cd come in yet?

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 11:32:28 PM »
got my receipt today and will pick up the album/wristband tomorrow. sucks they didn't have the CDs in yet today.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
See some of you guys tomorrow!  Say hi if you see me.  I'll have my DT cap on like in my avatar pic, and I'll be wearing an Arch/Matheos t-shirt!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »
Somebody should find a kid's book about Pirates and have James sign it.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »
It was amazing. I was super overwhelmed in the actual signing, really nervous and stuttering, with my sentences barely making any sense. Got to shake everyone's hand and get them to sign ADTOE, the poster, and a small metronome of mine ;D. I was so nervous that I even lost the cd case, but everything turned out fine.

The nicest guys to me were JP and MM, with the latter the most excited to be there and the one constantly smiling. The rest of the guys were just there. JM and MM had the strongest handshakes.

Later, after my friend and I finished eating after the signing, we walk back in, I decided to play some guitar. My friend decided to randomly record, and then MM and JLB walked out :hefdaddy. There were only a handful of fans, so we managed to get pictures by them and talk to them.

Then, just as we're about to leave after JLB said everybody from the band went home already, there walks out JP :hefdaddy. Needless to say, I got a picture with him and he left after that.

I'll upload pics soon. I'l even post the videos if my friend gets them to me soon
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:04:09 PM by mocool13 »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
JM and MM had the strongest handshake

JP has, at most, the third strongest handshake in the band? Holy crap!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
Your friend took video, mocool?  I wanna see!  On the ride home, I was thinking it would've been cool to take a cell phone video and keep it running as I walked along the table meeting them one at a time.  That would've been awesome. 

Offline mocool13

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »
Your friend took video, mocool?  I wanna see!  On the ride home, I was thinking it would've been cool to take a cell phone video and keep it running as I walked along the table meeting them one at a time.  That would've been awesome.

We took a video later on when we came back; we regretted not taking a video while meeting them across the table. But it was fun just to doodle with a guitar and then JLB and MM end up walking behind you ;D. In fact, I enjoyed meeting them later on because it was closer and more intimate, and less intimidating than meeting them sitting across the table with people trying o push you to get to the guys. I just hope my friend has time to forward it to me, as she's kind of busy fro the next few days

Offline mocool13

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
JM and MM had the strongest handshake

JP has, at most, the third strongest handshake in the band? Holy crap!

If recalling by a two second handshake of each band member, then yeah. But it's not like he was a distant third or anything.

BTW, does anybody else thinks MM has the weirdest signature? And I love JM's signature the most followed by JP.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:12:39 AM by mocool13 »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 10:09:59 PM »
Here is a pic of my signed ADToE poster that I took with my cell phone.  I'll have a couple other pics tomorrow. My friend took them on his camera and is emailing them to me. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 11:42:26 PM »
Mangini has a really weird signature. It looks like some crazy ancient language drum chart or something.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 04:01:23 AM »
JM's signature is the best, you can actually read it if you try. As for Mangini's signature... What in the world is that?  :lol