Author Topic: "Concerts are such a waste of money...."  (Read 12725 times)

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
"Concerts are such a waste of money...."
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »
"... because if you want to listen to the music, you can just play the album"

A friend of mine said that to me this weekend.  Those were his exact words.  I don't know if I can be his friend anymore.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: "Concerts are such a waste of money...."
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
Depends on the band. Some play about as good or not as great as the albums but some bands are a god damn experience.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:13:18 PM »
Yeah doesn't he realize it's better when you watch it on dvd? :neverusethis:

In all seriousness though I'm gonna guess he has never been to one.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
If that was my friend, I would never speak to them again.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 06:14:16 PM »
You see your avatar? That's what you need to do to your friend.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »
Take him to a Gwar concert, front row.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 06:36:43 PM »
I hate the fact that most of my IRL friends aren't concert goers.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
kill him

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
My brother isn't that big a fan of concerts, sure he's seen Porcupine Tree a few times and Muse, etc. but he's never that bothered, and always declines to see Opeth in london with me despite them being his favourite band.

When he gets back i'm going to ask him why specifically though.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 07:31:57 PM »
Haha, i guess it does sort of depend on the band. Still a crazy thing to say though.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
That statement is just dead wrong. I went to a concert this weekend for my favorite band. It was my third time seeing them, and they finally played my favorite song, which also happens to be my favorite song of all time. The way I felt when he hit the first chord was something I have never felt by just listening to the song. It was, as Zander said, an "almost euphoric" feeling. You can't get that by just listening to an album.

Also this.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 08:10:25 PM »
Maybe they don't see the reason in paying a fuckload just to see a concert.

But, I would've asked him why he thinks that. Just to see his response.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline True Death of Life

• The hair, the legend
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »

But seriously. I've only been to a few concerts--only one of them being a true rock concert, the others being obscure indie bands--and I know this is wrong. I went to a venue that had roughly 170 people attending, a tiny stage, and no fancy shit, and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. Mad concert fever afterwards.

It's plain and simple: through a CD, you receive the musicians' energy indirectly. At a concert, you get the full blast.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 10:52:40 PM »

A friend of mine said that to me this weekend.  Those were his exact words.  I don't know if I can be his friend anymore.

What friend?
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »
Perhaps he hasn't had an emotional connection in a live setting? It's all about the experience you have with the other audience members and the band themselves.

Also... don't artists make most of their money off ticket sales?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:16 PM »

"Cinemas are such a waste of money, because if you want to watch the movie you can just wait and see it on TV."

Has he ever even been to a concert? If he thinks it's just about hearing the songs the exact same way, he doesn't even know what he's missing out on.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 11:34:23 PM »
I do believe it depends on the band.  Also in a combination of being on the verge of my own complete economic dependence and my current favorite band being the Beatles, I'll probably stay away from concerts for a while.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »
Is your friend a rock/metal fan? In other forms of music maybe it's not essential. If he is a rock fan he certainly hasn't seen the bands I have. It's like being a Christian and not going to Church (Disclaimer- other religions are available).

I had to go to see DT on their recent tour. I just couldn't stay away- even though it really put me out having to travel. It just had to be done.

Take your friend to see KISS. Every rock fan should see KISS at least once, it's the equivilent to the journey to Mecca for Muslims. If that doesn't change his mind there is no hope.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 09:36:05 AM »
I hate the fact that most of my IRL friends aren't concert goers.

Same here, I never have anyone to go to concerts with (for example, Opeth comes to my city in November and I will probably end up going alone unless I can convince my wife they won't be growling in more than a couple of songs).

Offline jsem

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:24 AM »
Luckily, I have a few friends that go to concerts - most don't though.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
My non-concert loving friends have recently been converted by seeing Muse at Reading.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:07 AM »
Muse is a very good way to convert people.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 10:11:36 AM »
Sounds like we got some more test subjects for The Sun Cannon.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 11:36:47 AM »

But seriously. I've only been to a few concerts--only one of them being a true rock concert, the others being obscure indie bands--and I know this is wrong. I went to a venue that had roughly 170 people attending, a tiny stage, and no fancy shit, and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced. Mad concert fever afterwards.

Small shows are the best! The energy is unreal.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »
Yessss they are.
I AM A GUY

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »

"Cinemas are such a waste of money, because if you want to watch the movie you can just wait and see it on TV."

I think there is some legitimacy to this. I rarely go to the movies anymore, unless it a big budget, big explosions kind of action movie that benefits from the big screen experience. And when the day comes that I get my mancave up and running with its big-ass TV and surround-sound setup, there will be no reason to actually go to the movies unless I simply can't wait for the bluray to be released. Between the money spent the ticket and snacks, I will end up spending less on the bluray as a new release, see the same movie (with more in terms of extras) and watch the film as much as I want. I don't think going to a theater enhances the experience of seeing a movie.

Concerts, however, are a unique musical experience and are not a waste of money at all...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
The benefits of concerts is the Live Experience. With a full band, going to rap shows I agree with the OP statement. But others such as Mayhem, and festivals are where its really at.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »

I think there is some legitimacy to this. I rarely go to the movies anymore, unless it a big budget, big explosions kind of action movie that benefits from the big screen experience. And when the day comes that I get my mancave up and running with its big-ass TV and surround-sound setup, there will be no reason to actually go to the movies unless I simply can't wait for the bluray to be released. Between the money spent the ticket and snacks, I will end up spending less on the bluray as a new release, see the same movie (with more in terms of extras) and watch the film as much as I want. I don't think going to a theater enhances the experience of seeing a movie.

Concerts, however, are a unique musical experience and are not a waste of money at all...

I think sports make a much better analogy than music.  (e.g., "Going to a football game is a waste of money when you could just watch the game on TV").

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
I would say your all wrong.  There is a big difference to going to a football game or watching it on TV.  There is so much more you can take in at a game even before TV recognizes it and you don't see all the little nuances that happens at a game.

The same can be said for concert going.  You see the interaction of the band where you don't get that listening to a disk.  There is so much more I could say about this subject.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 05:40:46 PM »
I've been mostly done with going to pro hockey games for years now (You can probably count on two hands the times I've gone to other sports or otherwise. (disclaimer - I'm not a sports guy)) I can go to a Princeton hockey game for $10 and enjoy the experience a lot more than if I went to a Devils game and paid $35 to $40 for the cheap seats. (I only go to Devils games now when they discount the tickets)

But I think concerts are the more unique experience for me anyway, but I'm done with artificially inflated ticket and memorabilia prices. Most concerts are a waste of money when Ticketbastard and Jive Nation are involved. The ticket price to non-Ticketbastard and Jive Nation shows is usually cheaper too.

Example: Look at the Dream Theater Beacon show and compare it with Albany, Morristown, and Philly.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 05:54:52 PM »
I've been mostly done with going to pro hockey games for years now (You can probably count on two hands the times I've gone to other sports or otherwise. (disclaimer - I'm not a sports guy)) I can go to a Princeton hockey game for $10 and enjoy the experience a lot more than if I went to a Devils game and paid $35 to $40 for the cheap seats. (I only go to Devils games now when they discount the tickets)

But I think concerts are the more unique experience for me anyway, but I'm done with artificially inflated ticket and memorabilia prices. Most concerts are a waste of money when Ticketbastard and Jive Nation are involved. The ticket price to non-Ticketbastard and Jive Nation shows is usually cheaper too.

Example: Look at the Dream Theater Beacon show and compare it with Albany, Morristown, and Philly.

I agree....launchpad shows here are usually $5 (for lesser known bands) to $20 (for known bands), The Sunshine Theater charges $10 (for lesser known) to $45 (for known) but it depends on the band that is playing

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 08:08:50 AM »
I would say your all wrong.  There is a big difference to going to a football game or watching it on TV.  There is so much more you can take in at a game even before TV recognizes it and you don't see all the little nuances that happens at a game.

The same can be said for concert going.  You see the interaction of the band where you don't get that listening to a disk.  There is so much more I could say about this subject.

That was exactly my point... :)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 08:53:10 AM »
If the guy listens mostly to rap, I would say he is correct. I like the occasional (German) rap artists, but it just doesn't translate live. Same thing with something like Black Eyed Peas. Might as well spend the money on a dance club.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."