Author Topic: Live Scenes from NY  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Syzygos

Live Scenes from NY
« on: September 06, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
Does anyone know if there is anyway to get hold of the "Live Scenes from New York" CD with the original cover (e.g. the one that was recalled)?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Live Scenes from NY
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:47:15 PM »
ebay

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 03:47:22 PM »
1. Find it on eBay
2. Pay lots of money for it, probs
3. ???
4. Profit!

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »
Yeah i think there was a guy on here who bought one recently.  I think he bought it from Amazon and they sent him the recalled version...

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:49:07 PM »
Yeah i think there was a guy on here who bought one recently.  I think he bought it from Amazon and they sent him the recalled version...

;)
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:36:41 PM »
On a related matter, does anyone know why the DVD doesn't have the full concert?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Scooterfruit

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:46:15 PM »
I've seen it quite often at HMV.

But I'm in Canada...

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 04:51:01 PM »
How much money, I have 2!
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Syzygos

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:05:38 AM »

But I'm in Canada...

Are there any chances of you buying me one to send me, and I'll give you the money?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 06:46:55 AM »

But I'm in Canada...

I highly doubt this. OP is talking about the cover with New York burning, with the Twin Towers on it. It was released on 9/11 and immediately recalled because of the burning towers. You can't find this in your local CD stores.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
On a related matter, does anyone know why the DVD doesn't have the full concert?

Space requirements. The cd was 3 discs and the dvd was only one with special features packed all over it. That and those goofy ass rendered images that MP seemed so excited about in the commentary.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »

Space requirements. The cd was 3 discs and the dvd was only one with special features packed all over it. That and those goofy ass rendered images that MP seemed so excited about in the commentary.

Are you talking about the hippy background videos with the swirly colours and the Impact font text that said METROPOLIS?  :|
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 08:39:36 AM »
Speaking of which:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_recounts_bizarre_911_coincidence.html

Mike Portnoy Recounts Bizarre 9/11 Coincidence

As we approach the tenth anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, drummer Mike Portnoy (Adrenaline Mob, Dream Theater, Avenged Sevenfold) shared with AOL's Noisecreep his recollections of the day. He said, "I remember waking up Tuesday, September 11, 2001 to my wife telling me to put on the TV because I wasn't going to be going into [New York City] as planned.

"DREAM THEATER was working in New York City at the time mixing our album 'Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence' and I would've been driving in that afternoon for our session. But as the events of the morning unfolded, I found myself glued to the TV in disbelief as to what I was witnessing. It was all too surreal. I felt like I was watching a Will Smith Hollywood film. It couldn't possibly be really happening.

"When I finally did return to work in New York City a few days later, it was just as surreal as there was a sadness and almost deafening silence still lingering throughout the streets of Manhattan.

"On a personal side note, one of the strangest coincidences of my career was that DREAM THEATER's 'Live Scenes From New York' was released on Tuesday, September 11th 2001, the cover artwork of which illustrated a big apple (representing New York City) with the World Trade Center in flames!"
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »
"deafening silence still lingering"

Why didn't he write lyrics like this?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »

But I'm in Canada...

I highly doubt this. OP is talking about the cover with New York burning, with the Twin Towers on it. It was released on 9/11 and immediately recalled because of the burning towers. You can't find this in your local CD stores.

Incorrect.  There were a lot of copies that did not get recalled, and you hear about people finding them in regular stores once in a while.  The original cover with the towers.

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 08:49:18 AM »

Are you talking about the hippy background videos with the swirly colours and the Impact font text that said METROPOLIS?  :|

Yep, back in 2000 each one took 3 days to render apparently. I have no idea why...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 08:51:24 AM »

Yep, back in 2000 each one took 3 days to render apparently. I have no idea why...

Well in my 100% unbiased opinion, I'd say their current videos are much better. And I'm sure glad computers are a little more powerful than they were in 2000 if that's all they could manage. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 08:53:09 AM »
On that subject matter, have you been doing videos for the new tour?  :D
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 08:53:17 AM »

But I'm in Canada...

Incorrect.  There were a lot of copies that did not get recalled, and you hear about people finding them in regular stores once in a while.  The original cover with the towers.

I'm pretty sure they're still available in other countries too.  They really aren't that rare.  I wouldn't pay more than like $20 or $30 for it.

$20 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dream-Theater-Live-Scenes-New-York-OOP-Sealed-/250886781802?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3a6a047b6a#ht_1845wt_1007

$15 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dream-Theater-Live-Scenes-NY-Rare-Cover-Art-/130572667421?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item1e66bcca1d#ht_500wt_1023

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 09:02:05 AM »

Well in my 100% unbiased opinion, I'd say their current videos are much better. And I'm sure glad computers are a little more powerful than they were in 2000 if that's all they could manage. :lol

Oh wow, you have something to do with their videos? I didn't know that. I gathered you were somehow close enough to them to get an advanced copy of the cd but that's awesome. Next one you HAVE GOT to sneak in a tribute to the hippy swirly tunnel that played when you started the lsfny dvd..

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »
Or sneak in a DTF easter egg or something :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 06:40:07 PM »
I bought mine back in 03 or so (Canadian also), and by then, the original cover was back on the shelves up here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 10:21:02 PM »
A) It took them a few days to recall the copies so a lot of people bought them and immediately realized what a collectors item they would be

B ) I think after the drama died down, the record company probably put them back out on the market cause really, that would be a waste of 50,000 CDs or whatever. 

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 09:42:22 AM »
A) It took them a few days to recall the copies so a lot of people bought them and immediately realized what a collectors item they would be

B ) I think after the drama died down, the record company probably put them back out on the market cause really, that would be a waste of 50,000 CDs or whatever. 

The ones that were recalled just had a Majesty symbol sticker slapped on the front (to cover the burning apple) and then were sent back out.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
I saw this in the  'Questions from Correspondents' section of the Daily Mail today (a national newspaper over here).

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
I have one with the original cover, and I bought it from a used CD and record store at the same time as all the other albums that day. But I wasn't actually there, my dad just bought them and brought them home. It didn't even occur to me for a few minutes and then my brother reminded me about the cover. It was priced the same as the other CDs so obviously the people at the store didn't know.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
Also, I didn't think it was banned; more like voluntarily pulled from distribution out of sensitivity for what had happened the day it was released.

The Scorpions cover I can see being banned in some countries.  That's just poor taste.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 03:39:23 AM »
Also, I didn't think it was banned; more like voluntarily pulled from distribution out of sensitivity for what had happened the day it was released.
This, and even so, it still isn't all that rare.  You can still find it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 05:10:29 AM »

Yeah, I got mine off the shelves from Futureshop (Canadian equivalent to BestBuy) sometime in '03.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 08:29:48 AM »

Yeah, I got mine off the shelves from Futureshop (Canadian equivalent to BestBuy) sometime in '03.

Hell I've acquired two copies of it off shelves in the past few years. One was used (doesn't count) and the other in a record store unopened. I think I sent one to Dark Castle a few years ago as a secret santa gift (I'm sure it was Dark Castle...)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2014, 02:16:35 PM »
As I recall, it was only pulled in the US.

Sold the extras I had a long time ago with the expectation that if this got reissued, it would be with the original cover.

I certainly wouldn't pay more than $30 for the original today.

Offline Sonic_Sundries

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 05:18:56 PM »
If folks are still looking for the original "pulled" artwork, I purchased a partial case (so under 30) at a store liquidation recently and I've put them on Amazon.  New, sealed, all that good stuff.  The Amazon product page for the pulled version is here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LX29XM

By the way, I'm sorry if this violates forum rules.  I looked at them and didn't see a prohibition, but I may have missed something.

Offline Sonic_Sundries

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 09:38:19 AM »
I still have some copies left, and I've dropped the price down to $27.99 (free 2-day shipping for Amazon prime members)

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
I've got the VHS with the burning towers.  :rollin