Poll

which of these do you agree with more?

You've got it or you don't
12 (44.4%)
You can develop it if you don't have it
15 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: question about creativity  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Ħ

question about creativity
« on: September 06, 2011, 02:17:30 AM »
Something I've been thinking about.  I'm an optimist, so I'd go with the second option, but what does DTF think?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: question about creativity
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:21:19 AM »
I'm not sure. I do believe in natural creativity, but I also know how much is gained through developing it over time by continual work and practice.

I think there's a mixture of both. Even with natural creativity, it requires work to reach its potential, but there's also possibly a limit imposed by whether you're "got it" or not.

I believe both statements in the poll are equally correct, but I'll vote for "you've either got it or you don't", because I'm elitist like that.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:25:09 AM »
It's both.  But you're not gonna have #2 without #1.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:01:39 AM »
To me, creativity comes from an effortless understanding of the topic. And effortlessness can usually only be achieved with an innate talent for it. So, #1 for me.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »
some people are just more creative than others... by nature I think.... so went with #1.....

having said that... the complementary skills can be developed though... an open mind and an eye for stimulants all over the nature and life, and music and everywhere else.....  commitment coupled with desire to create would definitely make those are lucky even more creative....

so I guess it's a bit of both......  
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:42:25 AM by obscure »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:39:41 AM »
You can develop it. But I think people's creative potential is unlocked through different scenarios. Ultimately, the more things you try doing, the more likely you are to tap into some of your creative potential. Some people try to play instruments for years and realize they can't write a good song, but then suddenly are able to think of some real creative solutions when life demands it.

I don't really believe in innate talent, except for in special circumstances.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 12:32:28 PM »
I believe creativity is an element of the brain that exists in all of us. It's just a matter of whether or not we tap into it when our brains are developing at young ages. I have read acrticles on people who have had no artistic ability of any kind, and then after a serious accident are able to make or paint things that blow people away. It's clear with idiot savants that there is an area of the brain responsible for creativity. In their brains, that area is very dominant while the others are never developed. This often times leaves them unable to communicate with others, or have the mental capacity of a child.

*quick google search*

This guy came to mind as soon as I read the OP. His name is Alonzo Clemons. He had a severe head injury as a child that left him more or less retarded. However, the man can make unbelievable animal sculptures in a very short period of time. The man can take a chunk of clay, and make a perfectly detailed/scaled down animal. He does this all from memory as well, he doesn't look at anything to model his sculptures off of.

https://www.wisconsinmedicalsociety.org/savant_syndrome/savant_profiles/alonzo_clemons

Drug use also leads me to believe that creativity lies in all of us. I'm not saying that when people drop acid they can paint a picture that could be mistaken for a photograph. I'm saying in terms of being able to interpret the chaos of thoughts that occur in everyones mind, and depict them in some form of visual or auditory medium. That's what creativity is all about, right?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 12:41:53 PM »
It's both.  But you're not gonna have #2 without #1.
This exactly. Simply wanting to be creative is not enough.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
You can be good at almost everything if you just practice it enough, and want it bad enough. But on some fields you've got to have the little extra, and be good at it without a lot of effort certainly helps.

I believe that in order to achieve a skill at something you'll need a neat mixture between talent and willing to practice and try harder.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 01:14:19 PM »
As others have said, a combination.

I believe it's a natural talent but it has to be developed. You can't just pick up the guitar and write awesome songs right away. You have to practice and practice. And you have to become so good at it that it becomes natural and fluent so you don't think in technical terms anymore - you just "do it" without thinking. That's when the real magic happen.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
I don't really believe in innate talent, except for in special circumstances.
This is my life philosophy, pretty much, regarding everything. Thanks.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges