Author Topic: My new GF and her thoughts on DT, MP & MM  (Read 4464 times)

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
Re: My new GF and her thoughts on DT, MP & MM
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 06:13:34 PM »
So I hooked my new GF up with the new album and she's digging it. She had one funny comment though "Do they normally have this many mellow songs on their albums?" LOL I also gave her a disc of older material, mostly the more new fan friendly songs IE: Hollow Years (which she loves), Anna Lee, Voices, Peruvian Skies, Blind Faith, Pull Me Under, etc.

So far so good!!!  :metal
Thanks,
Dave

Offline weddingnails

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
well i have to say that being a big prog fan has been making getting a gf kinda tough,when i went to see Rush a couple years a go i stopped at a store after the concert,and a girl came up to me and started to flirt.then she asked what i was doing in Pittsburgh,and i said "i just got done seeing Rush".this girl said "oh" and walked away..lulz :lol
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and doesn't die"

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »
Well that sucks. I was hoping for a better outcome reading your post. Myabe my GF is just opened minded, but I things she says lets me believe she's really paying attention and into DT. And to think we've only scratched the surface of the DT world!

well i have to say that being a big prog fan has been making getting a gf kinda tough,when i went to see Rush a couple years a go i stopped at a store after the concert,and a girl came up to me and started to flirt.then she asked what i was doing in Pittsburgh,and i said "i just got done seeing Rush".this girl said "oh" and walked away..lulz :lol
Thanks,
Dave

Offline mooshinator

Re: My new GF and here thoughts on DT, MP & MM
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »
Your girlfriend seems very open minded, which is good. Marry her. Now. You marry her now.

I've been slowly but surely making my girlfriend get into Dream Theater by taking the non-direct route. Which is, whenever we are go somewhere, I always play Dream Theater music in the car so she gets to listen to them and get the occasional "Wow. That sounds cool". Making her want more.  ;)
Anyways, she loved the TDOE ragtime solo.

LOL, I do the same thing...  whenever I'm in the car with my wife I play Dream Theater...

The difference is, she never says "Wow. That sounds cool".  She says, "Wow, that doesn't make me want to stab my eyes out like most Dream Theater does."

Still, I treasure those rare moments. :)

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
Re: My new GF and here thoughts on DT, MP & MM
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 08:02:10 PM »
Your girlfriend seems very open minded, which is good. Marry her. Now. You marry her now.

I've been slowly but surely making my girlfriend get into Dream Theater by taking the non-direct route. Which is, whenever we are go somewhere, I always play Dream Theater music in the car so she gets to listen to them and get the occasional "Wow. That sounds cool". Making her want more.  ;)
Anyways, she loved the TDOE ragtime solo.

LOL, I do the same thing...  whenever I'm in the car with my wife I play Dream Theater...

The difference is, she never says "Wow. That sounds cool".  She says, "Wow, that doesn't make me want to stab my eyes out like most Dream Theater does."

Still, I treasure those rare moments. :)

Hilarious and so familiar.  Swear to God, my wife would rather I went to a titty-bar than break out DT.  She knows the shoe show is temporary and meaningless, but when I am listening to DT, I am all theirs.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2011, 08:04:19 PM »
Awesome story and great girlfriend! I have a somewhat Similar story when I hooked up with my gf two and half years ago. On our first date I had Opeth Damnation playing in my car stereo at a very low volume just for some mellow background music. So the music topic came up and she said she is digging what was playing. I told her that was very different from what they usually play and left it at that. She certainly wasn't ready for BWP or Deliverance. So I learned she was the typical chick who digs Christina Aguilera, Evanesense, Sade etc. But she also had a liking for stuff I dig too like Tool, Old school Metallica, Soundgarden, AIC. So I knew she could stomach prog since those bands have prog influences.

So I figured she could dig DT so to the easiest way to introduce her to DT is by watching the Budokan DVD. She is also second generation Japanese American so why not play a concert that took place in Japan? She was blown away by the musicianship but disliked LaBrie because he sounded so flat during the whole thing (which I must agree).

Fast forward to today she now has a ring on her left hand and she thinks that ADTOE is their best album to date. When she first saw the video of OTBOA it became an instant favorite. She liked DT before, but now she is a hardcore fan.