Author Topic: Portnoy : "Mike Mangini is an amazing drummer" (and on re-joining DT)  (Read 11063 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: Portnoy : "Mike Mangini is an amazing drummer" (and on re-joining DT)
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 12:21:06 AM »
DT14 - "Never Say Never"

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 12:32:55 AM »
DT 14 - "Never Say Never.... Enough"
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 12:48:44 AM »
MP interview from two weeks ago: I never say never and my intensions with DT was never to leave the band or split up with the band, I merely felt that we could’ve used a little time off because we had been doing it non-stop for 25 years. You know, the cards played out as they did and they wanted to carry on without a break and I needed to do other things with other people because I just needed a refreshed enthusiasm and inspiration in my life and career.

But I never say never, if we’re a couple years down the road if they wanted to do something together again I would in a heartbeat, you know. That’s my baby, that’s my lifeblood. I built that band for 25 years and I just really need a breather from the guys and from the machine itself. If it’s in the cards to reunite down the road, I never say never.

Offline Addy

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 01:13:25 AM »
That’s my baby, that’s my lifeblood. I built that band for 25 years and I just really need a breather from the guys and from the machine itself. If it’s in the cards to reunite down the road, I never say never.

What I hate about him is that he talks like he's thinking of DT as his and only his. Like throughout those 25 years he did all by himself. Good to hear though that he admits that Mangini's a great drummer. I also think that's one the first signs of Portnoy regretting his last-years decisions. But you know what ? It's sad to say but I never want MP back in DT. They're a better band without him. On every level.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2011, 03:03:05 AM »
I like how he says "They've moved on, and I've moved on..." Finally an end to the speculation and the bickering. He's happy, DT's happy, MM is ecstatic. The new material (what we've heard of it) is amazing. All is right with the world. Lot's of moving on. Can we join that bandwagon?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2011, 03:44:34 AM »
a few years down the road it's DT with the 2 mike's....the kit is big enough for 2 drummers....
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2011, 03:47:15 AM »
a few years down the road it's DT with the 2 mike's....

Nope.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2011, 05:47:06 AM »
Good to hear that he's finally saying something positive about DT! :tup However, I don't think a reunion is that probable...

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »
a few years down the road it's DT with the 2 mike's....

Nope.
They could be the Slipknot of prog metal!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »
a few years down the road it's DT with the 2 mike's....the kit is big enough for 2 drummers....

That's seriously be pretty dumb.

I could see a big thing though, where like MP, DS, CD, and others all get up on stage. But it was MP who always organized that stuff to begin with so I don't think he'd be into it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2011, 10:17:48 AM »
Honestly, I don't really get the reactions in this thread.  This is exactly what he should have said--nothing more; nothing less.  Have his comments in the past really been SO bad that when he makes the type of generic, innocuous comment he should make under the circumstances, people are compelled to actually cheer?  That's actually kind of bizarre.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »
Have his comments in the past really been SO bad that when he makes the type of generic, innocuous comment he should make under the circumstances, people are compelled to actually cheer?

Do you really want people to answer that?

:angel:

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2011, 10:21:04 AM »
That’s my baby, that’s my lifeblood. I built that band for 25 years and I just really need a breather from the guys and from the machine itself. If it’s in the cards to reunite down the road, I never say never.

What I hate about him is that he talks like he's thinking of DT as his and only his. Like throughout those 25 years he did all by himself. Good to hear though that he admits that Mangini's a great drummer. I also think that's one the first signs of Portnoy regretting his last-years decisions. But you know what ? It's sad to say but I never want MP back in DT. They're a better band without him. On every level.

Wasn't it JP and JM who found him initially?

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
Honestly, I don't really get the reactions in this thread.  This is exactly what he should have said--nothing more; nothing less.  Have his comments in the past really been SO bad that when he makes the type of generic, innocuous comment he should make under the circumstances, people are compelled to actually cheer?  That's actually kind of bizarre.

Yup.

Let me elaborate a bit. What I mean is that his comments have been almost consistently negative or "whiney" so far, and this is a fairly strange change of opinion.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 10:53:16 AM »
I guess I just don't see the need to comment at all.  I don't think he gets any special credit for saying what he should have said all along, but I also don't see the need to beat it into the ground either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
I guess I just don't see the need to comment at all.  I don't think he gets any special credit for saying what he should have said all along, but I also don't see the need to beat it into the ground either.
It's the first sign of our once-beloved spokesman keeping his sanity when...speaking.

Note: I'm joking of course, no offense at MP.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »
This, very much so.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »
I guess I just don't see the need to comment at all.  I don't think he gets any special credit for saying what he should have said all along, but I also don't see the need to beat it into the ground either.

that's probably because portnoy being reasonable means we're a step closer to peace between the two sides. that's a great thing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 06:25:38 PM »

I don't really consider a page of forumerrs basically saying "Good to see Mike being positive for once" to be that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
Okay.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »
 :justjen

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:58 PM »
That's the least he could say. I mean, Mangini appreciates Portnoy a lot and absolutely admires him, and as Petrucci himself said on The Spirit Carries On documentary, they had played with both Mangini and Portnoy on stage before, surely because of Portnoy as he was the one who enjoyed doing that type of stuff and was the one with those ideas. Mangini and Portnoy even went to Berklee together, iirc. After having Mangini say that he loves Portnoy's drumming and that they're friends, I think that's what Portnoy should have said.

In any case, I wonder if Mangini has talked with Portnoy ever since he became the new drummer...

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2011, 07:23:28 AM »
One honest question and no bashing is meant at all. What if they play again together in a few years : will MP still be able to play the tricky DT tracks? I mean, he's admitted he's not practised for about 10 years now and as he is no longer with the band, he will not play DT tracks on the same regular basis (if ever by the way). So, yeah, will he still be able to play some DT as perfectly as he did before?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline tofee35

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
I guess to add to this:

Awhile back some 12 year old at mp.com posted a "who's better? MP or MM" thread. MP chimed in saying MM. That thread was, of course, deleted.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »
I guess to add to this:

Awhile back some 12 year old at mp.com posted a "who's better? MP or MM" thread. MP chimed in saying MM. That thread was, of course, deleted.

I have to be honest, whatever your feelings about MP may be (this isn't directed at you, just a general statement), it seems like a rather foolish thing to do to begin with, creating a thread comparing the forum moderator with someone else.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 02:06:33 PM »
I guess to add to this:

I have to be honest, whatever your feelings about MP may be (this isn't directed at you, just a general statement), it seems like a rather foolish thing to do to begin with, creating a thread comparing the forum moderator with someone else.

Oh, I dunno.  Seems like an okay idea to me.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=27371.new#new

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »
Clever, but let's see if we can get Itchy to beat you.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »
I think it's ridiculous to say that Portnoy wasn't acting like a baby at first.  He did nothing but blame the guys in DT for HIS decisions and HIS behavior as well as act like a victim, like they threw him out or something.  Anyone who didn't see him doing this, I'm sorry to say, is delusional. 

BUT, I think his comment here is very nice and I think we should get beyond all that.  That's a normal reaction for most people.  I'm just saying..... it happened.  Let's not pretend like it didn't, though. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2011, 10:30:02 PM »
A relatively nice statement, awesome.